DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Homeland (S5E12) -- Season Finale -- "A False Glimmer" -- 12/20/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630069-homeland-s5e12-season-finale-false-glimmer-12-20-15-a.html)

Raul3 12-21-15 11:25 PM

Re: Homeland (S5E12) -- Season Finale -- "A False Glimmer" -- 12/20/15

When even DJariya is criticizing a show, you know it's really bad. ;)

Bill Needle 12-22-15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay (Post 12677838)
I did like the part with Saul and the Russian agent and Saul and his team gunning down Allison and the Russians.

That is what is so infuriating, that there are some interesting characters and plot points but the main character is ruining the show. I have been saying this since season 2 and that's only because I didn't watch season 1 until season 2 was already airing.

coli 12-22-15 06:15 AM

As a defender of this season, I have to say that finale was a huge letdown and pretty anti-climatic. I think they tried to cram all of Carrie's character development in this final episode instead of playing it out during the season. The show has changed in a sense that it is more plot driven, and they throw in 1 or 2 shows during the season where Carrie has to take a step back and do an introspective of herself. I think that's a bad way to go because it's too jarring and in this episode as they throw too many things at once.

5 Seasons is perfect for a TV show, as I really wonder what is left they can do with this show as I know that Claire Danes was on Howard Stern a few weeks back and said she was signed through Season 7.

albert_m 12-22-15 08:45 AM

A big problem with the show is that Danes is a producer. She should not be involved in the process. That tells me that she is pushing the tired Carrie stories. There are few times where a change in the main character would be good for the show and this is one of them.

Pointyskull 12-22-15 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by coli (Post 12678456)
As a defender of this season, I have to say that finale was a huge letdown and pretty anti-climatic.

I agree....

ardathbey 12-22-15 08:25 PM

I'd rather the show be about Saul at this point. Or Astrid. Saul and Astrid, really.

cowtown 12-22-15 10:55 PM

Quiverlip has worn out her welcome.

Jackskeleton 12-23-15 01:55 AM

I wonder how she's going to somehow be right about a terrorist attack after no one believed her through all the episodes next season.

coli 12-23-15 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by albert_m (Post 12678516)
A big problem with the show is that Danes is a producer. She should not be involved in the process. That tells me that she is pushing the tired Carrie stories. There are few times where a change in the main character would be good for the show and this is one of them.

I'm trying to remember but didn't the original creator leave after Season 1? It seems like that is when the show made a left turn and still never had a direction like the 1st season. I could be wrong but maybe he left after Season 2?

mikehunt 03-05-16 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 12677385)
Hopefully the terrorists had a plan b and it's a thermonuclear explosion.

that'd be epic

I enjoyed the season but the finale was dull

dex14 06-01-16 01:32 PM

Showtime is finalizing a deal with Fox 21 TV Studios to lock its flagship drama series Homeland for 3 more seasons, starting with the already picked up upcoming sixth season, which has been pushed to January 2017. Showtime Networks president and CEO David Nevins made the announcement during a press call. In fall 2016, Homeland will be replaced by Shameless. The additional pickup would be for Seasons 7 and 8. Star Claire Danes and showrunner Alex Gansa are both set for Seasons 6, 7 and 8, Nevins said.

Homeland will return to the U.S. after spending the last two seasons shooting in South Africa and Berlin. Season six is set to begin production in New York starting in August.

“We are proud that Homeland has been so consistently recognized for its excellence with awards and critical acclaim, but we are in awe of how the series fearlessly mines the geopolitics of our complicated world and translates that into compelling human drama,” said David Nevins, President and CEO, Showtime Networks Inc. “Under Alex Gansa’s brilliant leadership, Homeland has shown an uncanny ability to reinvent itself which makes us supremely confident that this show will remain as distinctive, relevant and cutting edge as anything on television for as long as these producers want to continue.”

After she thwarted a terrorist attack in Berlin, season six picks up several months later and finds Carrie Mathison (Danes) back on American soil, living in Brooklyn, NY. She has begun working at a foundation whose efforts are to provide aid to Muslims living in the United States. Season six will tackle the after effects of the U.S. presidential election, with the entire season taking place between election day and the inauguration. It’s a strange, transitional time in the halls of government filled with anxiety and different competing interests, where a very fragile and complex transfer of power takes place between the outgoing president and the incoming president-elect.

Homeland was developed for American television by Gansa and Howard Gordon, and is based on the original Israeli series Prisoners of War by Gideon Raff. Along with Gansa and Gordon, the executive producers for season six will be Chip Johannessen, Lesli Linka Glatter, Patrick Harbinson, Michael Klick, Gideon Raff, Avi Nir and Ran Telem.
http://deadline.com/2016/06/homeland...ry-1201765619/

DWilson 06-01-16 02:30 PM

Yeah, I want to hear their two cents about the election.

mwbmis 06-01-16 02:53 PM

Three more seasons....Yikes.

I actually would have been happier if they said this next season was the last one. Maybe they'll surprise me, but you can usually count on Showtime running a show well into the ground.

Coral 06-01-16 03:06 PM

Yea, it does seem like Showtimes strategy to bury something into the ground.

Have they ever had a show go 5 seasons or less which wasn't cancelled?

Osiris3657 06-01-16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12816329)

I actually would have been happier if they said this next season was the last one. Maybe they'll surprise me, but you can usually count on Showtime running a show well into the ground.

Feel the same...I'll sit through them, but I'm not excited about it.

mcnabb 06-01-16 08:12 PM

This means 3 more seasons of Saul calling Carrie an idiot during the season, they part ways, and are back trying to solve some terrorist plot on the season finale.

This means 3 more seasons of Carrie not taking her meds for one episode and goes off the wagon with crazy theories that end up being true.

This means 3 more seasons of Carrie ruining some relationship with a guy that she will regret and reflect on at the end of the season.

I guess what I'm saying is the show has turned very formulaic and is a shell of the early seasons. But of course I'll stick with it, unless it gets Banshee bad like its last season recently.

Bill Needle 06-02-16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12816475)
I'll sit through them, but I'm not excited about it.

Same here. I was hoping Daines would ask for too much money to be kept on. But instead she will be chomping on the scenery as her character finds people to abandon her daughter with while she repeats every dumb mistake she has ever made in every season of the show and then miraculously figures everything out at the last minute because...well, because it's written that way.

Jackskeleton 06-02-16 01:45 AM

Can't wait for Carrie to just end up a lumberjack.

coli 06-02-16 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12816329)

I remember Claire Danes was on Howard Stern last year, and said she was signed for Seasons 6 and 7 at the time. I was hoping Season 7 was be the last but it looks like they will milk it for an 8th season.

Did the ratings drop last season? They are moving it to the Winter, as I always thought the big time Cable Shows are in the fall/spring?

dex14 06-02-16 06:43 AM

I bailed in the middle of last season. I just had no interest.

DaveNinja 06-09-16 11:36 AM

finally finished this season. my god, was a terrible finale!

johnnysd 06-12-16 01:27 AM

Just not sure I will bother. Had enough of quiver lip in my lifetime. And was this show ever really good outside of Season 1?

mwbmis 08-11-16 11:13 PM

Rupert Friend is still a series regular.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/11/homelan...-alive-stroke/

dex14 08-12-16 06:42 AM

With the 3 season renewal...this show will go for 8 seasons... way too long. Which is usually the issue with Showtime. I bailed last season. I will wait til season 6 and 7 air before even considering returning before the (presumably) final season.

Osiris3657 11-06-16 03:51 PM

Season 6 teaser