Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race (S27E09) -- "It's Always The Quiet Ones" -- 11/20/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Amazing Race (S27E09) -- "It's Always The Quiet Ones" -- 11/20/15

WITH ONLY SIX TEAMS REMAINING, THE COMPETITION HEATS UP WHEN RACERS FACE A U-TURN, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," FRIDAY, NOV. 20

"It's Always The Quiet Ones" (Agra, India)
- With only six teams remaining, the competition heats up when Racers face a U-Turn, and some teams enjoy the sweet taste of victory after a candy making challenge, on THE AMAZING RACE, Friday, Nov. 20 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan)
is the host.

Remaining Teams in THE AMAZING RACE:

Denise and James Earl

Justin and Diana

Joey and Kelsey

Logan and Chris

Josh and Tanner

Tiffany and Krista
Old 11-21-15, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race (S27E09) -- "It's Always The Quiet Ones" -- 11/20/15

Too much to overcome. It was nice to see the speed bump actually be tough and time consuming.
Old 11-21-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Compared to other seasons, that was ridiculous. No way that could have been overcome at all unless another team was uturned. They need to be consistent, other years was shit like sit on a block of ice for ten minutes.
Old 11-21-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Not that it would have mattered given that they arrived last to the U-Turn mat, but I'm surprised they would do a single U-Turn at this point of the race. Barring a colossal screw-up, you are pretty much guaranteeing which team goes, and it would have been Justin and Diana if they had gotten to the mat second. That would have been unfortunate b/c they are a really good team.

I never can root for the young athletic guy teams b/c I think they have an inherent advantage in the race so I'm not really sorry to see the boys go. Joey and Kelsey absolutely made the right decision. The other three teams are very inconsistent/poor racers.
Old 11-21-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a feeling that the ending (Team Alabama vs Team Texas) was no where near as close as the editing made it out to be.

It was a rough speed bump penalty. But I like that coming in last one leg, but lucking out when it's non elimination, carries a big penalty. Otherwise it makes the whole non elimination leg feel pointless. Speed bump + U turn should be too much to overcome.

The cheerleaders will hate them, but smart of the reporters to u turn the Texas guys. They're a strong team and that was the chance to take them out.
Old 11-21-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I never can root for the young athletic guy teams b/c I think they have an inherent advantage in the race so I'm not really sorry to see the boys go. Joey and Kelsey absolutely made the right decision. The other three teams are very inconsistent/poor racers.
Yep, looks like it's green team or the reporters. Hard to see anyone else actually winning. And it's not like green team is so physically strong or perfect that the reporters couldn't beat them on the final leg.

Most places the show visit have you wanting to go there yourself. This episode, with the bugs, heat, dirt, and homeless people has me not wanting to go anywhere near India
Old 11-21-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I never can root for the young athletic guy teams b/c I think they have an inherent advantage in the race so I'm not really sorry to see the boys go.
Not even when one of them is one of the hottest human beings in history?
Old 11-21-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trelach24
Not even when one of them is one of the hottest human beings in history?
If you say so.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I find Krista very cute. I also think Diana has appealing qualities.
Old 11-21-15, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Compared to other seasons, that was ridiculous. No way that could have been overcome at all unless another team was uturned. They need to be consistent, other years was shit like sit on a block of ice for ten minutes.
i remember one season was like "get a massage on a bus"

If you say so.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I find Krista very cute. I also think Diana has appealing qualities.
i am kinda attracted to diana, and picture that anteater shnozz of hers tickling my taint so i say "go green team", and the cheerleaders because dat ass x2.

i share your Krista appreciation because "I’m a speech language pathologist for students with special needs, such as autism. I provide language therapy to children’s ages 3 to 8" and she is nyc girl hot
Old 11-21-15, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That speed bump was ridiculous, and I agree above very inconsistent from previous seasons.

I thought initially they'd do it at the same time and couldn't leave until they were both finished, a small penalty waiting for whoever was slower, but more in line with what a speed bump has been.
Old 11-22-15, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I seem to remember them saying in the past that the speed bumps are supposed to take about 15 minutes. I guess we'll wait and see how long it was when Tanner and Josh start getting interviewed.
Old 11-22-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I liked that speed bump, since it should be difficult.

In past seasons, viewers (such as myself) complain that the speed bumps are too easy. The producers listen and make it difficult this time, and yet, they are still getting complaints. Can't win.

The difficult speed bump, coupled with the U-Turn option, was fair enough. It wasn't the producers choice to U-Turn Tanner and Josh. If there was only a speed bump and no U-Turn at this Detour, then I would agree that there was no chance for Tanner and Josh to catch up. But the other teams had several choices to U-Turn another team.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 11-22-15 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 05:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have a problem with the speed bump, but I did have a problem with the placement of the U Turn. I think there needs to be a Roadblock or some other challenge in between a U Turn and the Pit Stop, to at least give that team a fighting chance.

Honestly, I sort of wish they would just get rid of the U Turn altogether. I think the game works better without the overt sabotage mechanic.
Old 11-22-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I didn't have a problem with the speed bump, but I did have a problem with the placement of the U Turn. I think there needs to be a Roadblock or some other challenge in between a U Turn and the Pit Stop, to at least give that team a fighting chance.

Honestly, I sort of wish they would just get rid of the U Turn altogether. I think the game works better without the overt sabotage mechanic.
I agree. I hate the U-Turn. You're a bad guy when you use it even though it's a part of the game. And it can knock out a strong team for no good fault of their own.
Old 11-22-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

At the very least it needs to be between the road block and detour not at the end of the leg. So the team that gets U-turned has some sort of chance to catch up.

EDIT: Basically what DRG already said LOL.
Old 11-22-15, 06:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Yeah, it's just a way to manufacture drama between teams. I'd rather have them include more fast forwards as it's a far more interesting dynamic.
Old 11-23-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reality TV World: How long after Denise Williams and James Corley did you two finally arrive at the Pit Stop? Any idea on the time gap between you and them?

Josh Ahern: I'm assuming probably about 30 minutes or so. I mean, the show edited it to make it look like it was super, super close, (laughs) but after we had to do that double Roadblock, go to the first Detour, then go to the second Detour, and then our tuk-tuk driver got lost a couple of times, there was no way (laughs) that we were anywhere near close to them.

Reality TV World: It's clear getting U-Turned did you guys in, but that Speed Bump seemed to definitely be a contributing factor. How long did it take you, Josh, to complete after Tanner? And considering Speed Bumps typically take 15 minutes, did you feel you were dealt an unfair hand?

Josh Ahern: Yeah, it probably took us about the same amount of time. I mean, probably what, 45 minutes? I wouldn't say an hour, so 45 minutes is probably what it took both us probably. And yeah, I can't lie. I was really shocked.

We thought going into the Speed Bump we might have to eat an ice cream cone or do some pushups or something that was just out-of-the-way annoying or would slow us down. So, we felt it was a double Roadblock. We definitely felt like the odds were stacked against us.

Reality TV World: Just to clarify, did it take you 45 minutes combined to complete the Roadblock or separately, so 90 minutes total?
Josh Ahern: That was one at a time.

Reality TV World: Oh wow.
Josh Ahern: Yeah.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/e...1%29-18872.php
Old 11-23-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

The producers listened to the fans. No more sitting on a block of ice as a Speed Bump!
Old 11-24-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, it's just a way to manufacture drama between teams. I'd rather have them include more fast forwards as it's a far more interesting dynamic.
Yup. Have a fast forward every leg but only allow teams to take one per season, like they used to. I hate the way they threw some "Survivor" into the mix, where a good team can get punished for being good by being U-turned by a weaker team.
Old 11-24-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was there previously a Fast Forward on EVERY leg?
Old 11-24-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Was there previously a Fast Forward on EVERY leg?
In the early seasons...
Old 11-24-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remembered them having FF's quite often, but not them really being on EVERY leg. Doubt they had them on the very last leg. But given how long ago that was I'll give myself a break if it's true that they were on all of them but the last leg.

I really like the idea of frequent or every leg FF's coming back and dumping the U-Turn. I CAN recall a few teams going for the FF in those early seasons, not getting it, and having it affect their placement.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 11-25-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the worst cast they've had in ages. I literally have no interest in anybody winning.
Old 11-25-15, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could write a book about the dynamic between the paparazzi team. I'm sure their love life includes a number of specialized ..props.

The Mother/Son team have lucked out so many times. They're one of the weakest teams in years to get this far.
Old 11-25-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
This is the worst cast they've had in ages. I literally have no interest in anybody winning.
Just curious why you think that is? Because the teams are not making you remember them for reasons other than the actual race? Like Justin?

I've actually enjoyed this season more than many of the others imply because there hasn't been so many others like Justin. Reminds me when they used to fill the cast with strong teams capable of wining rather than just a bunch of crazies that will create drama. Leave that crap on Big Brother and Survivor.

Don't want the Pink team to win over the reporters, but short of the rapping challenge, they seem to have done well and held their own.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.