DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/629632-man-high-castle-amazon-series-discussion-thread-premieres-11-20-15-a.html)

DJariya 11-20-15 02:01 AM

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0d&oe=56E3FBCD

Based on Philip K. Dick's Hugo Award-winning 1962 alternative history, The Man in the High Castle considers the question of what would have happened if the Allied Powers had lost World War II. Almost 20 years after that loss, the United States and much of the world has now been split between Japan and Germany, the major hegemonic states. But the tension between these two powers is mounting, and this stress is playing out in the western U.S. Through a collection of characters in various states of posing (spies, sellers of falsified goods, others with secret identities), The Man in the High Castle provides an intriguing tale about life and history as it relates to authentic and manufactured reality. The hour-long dramatic pilot stars Alexa Davalos (Mob City) as Juliana Crain, Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars) as Joe Blake, Rupert Evans (The Village) as Frank Frink, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Mortal Kombat Legacy) as Tagomi, Joel De La Fuente (Hemlock Grove) as Inspector Kido, Rufus Sewell (Eleventh Hour) as John Smith and DJ Qualls (Z Nation) as Ed McCarthy.

The pilot was directed by David Semel (Madam Secretary, Heroes) and written by Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files), both serving as Executive Producers. Also executive producing are Ridley Scott (Blade Runner) and David W. Zucker (The Good Wife), with co-executive producer Jordan Sheehan of Scott Free Productions (The Good Wife, The Andromeda Strain), and Executive Producers Stewart Mackinnon and Christian Baute of Headline Pictures (The Invisible Woman). In addition, Isa Dick Hackett will executive produce and Kalen Egan will co-executive produce on behalf of Electric Shepherd (The Adjustment Bureau). Christopher Tricarico (May in the Summer) is also Executive Producer.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alexa Davalos as Juliana Crain
· Cary Tagawa as Tagomi
· D.J. Qualls as Ed McCarthy
· Geoffrey Blake as Doc
· Joel de la Fuente as Inspector Kido
· Luke Kleintank as Joe Blake
· Michael Rispoli as Don Warren
· Rufus Sewell as John Smith
· Rupert Evans as Frank Frink

CREW INFORMATION:
· Christian Baute as EP
· Christopher Tricarico as EP
· David Semel as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· David W. Zucker as EP
· Frank Spotnitz as CRTR/EP
· Isa Dick Hackett as EP
· Jordan Sheehan as CO-EP
· Kalen Egan as CO-EP
· Philip K. Dick as BOOK
· Ridley Scott as EP
· Stewart Mackinnon as EP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hzz_6dmv03I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All 10 episodes are now available as of 11/20/15 at 12am PT/3am ET

Again as a courtesy, if you're going to binge this show and talk about it, please you spoilers and specify what episode you're talking about. This is to help avoid people clicking on spoilers for episodes/content they may have not seen yet.

Not everyone here will be able to watch all 10 episodes of this right away.

milo bloom 11-20-15 04:20 PM

Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 11/20/1

I liked the idea of the story but when I read the book I was left with a feeling of "that's it?". The reviews I've read are generally positive so I'm hoping this will be a case where a TV show gives the ideas room to breathe (even moreso than in a book).

Gdrlv 11-20-15 04:32 PM

Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 11/20/1

I loved the first 2 episodes of the series. Glad the rest are finally available.

Superman07 11-21-15 09:17 AM

Loved the pilot during pilot season. Not sure when I'll be able to watch the full 10, but looking forward to it!

diditagain 11-21-15 01:44 PM

Watched the pilot last night and enjoyed it.

Does Amazon advertising this as a series (as opposed to a limited series or miniseries) mean there is no proper conclusion in episode 10, and that the series will continue if enough people watch?

Count Dooku 11-21-15 02:04 PM

Everybody in alt-1962 knows how to work a film projector? Fascism = AV Club!

writer106 11-22-15 01:54 PM

So far I've watched episodes 1-5 so far. I'm still liking it. The acting is a bit weak though. I was surprised that Chris Beachmum at Gold Derby is predicting that Alexa Davalos will get a Golden Globe nomination.

silentbob007 11-22-15 02:33 PM

Having seen all 10 episodes, it really felt like the wheels started wobbling in the middle. The characters keep having the same arguments and never seem to really grow or accomplish much.

Why So Blu? 11-27-15 07:50 PM

I'm 6 episodes in and am definitely hooked. I was surprised see Frank Spotnitz as the main show runner. I'll probably be finished tonight or tomorrow. I had to break it up a bit and start on JJ.

seltzer77 11-28-15 02:57 PM

If this is too spoilerific, please edit my post...

Any word on if there will be a second season?

Breakfast with Girls 11-29-15 09:23 AM

This show is great. Perfect setting to develop complex characters like Obergruppenführer Smith.

funkyryno 11-30-15 11:00 AM

I agree. Definitely one of the better television depictions of an Obergruppenführer.

I'm impressed by the production values on this series. Amazon must've sunk a lot of change into it.

Hiro11 11-30-15 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 12657302)
I'm impressed by the production values on this series. Amazon must've sunk a lot of change into it.

Agreed. For a streaming-only, Amazon Prime exclusive offering this show looks top notch.

I like the show. Pros include the great production design, well crafted dialogue, Rufus Sewell and the subtle (and constant) reminders that this is a broken world. Cons are the meandering plot, sometimes spotty acting, some entirely too convenient coincidences and lots of stupid protagonists (they take actions that make no sense at all). Still, it's as good as anything on network TV.

Patman 11-30-15 07:27 PM

I'm ambivalent on this show. It just felted too padded, like 4 episodes too padded, so not as high on the show as others.

HE Pennypacker 11-30-15 08:06 PM

I'm enjoying it very much. The musical score is also incredible.

writer106 12-01-15 12:20 AM

I watched episodes 6-10 over the weekend. Overall, I liked this show much more than Hand of God. I agree with a couple of posters on the production values. Critics reviews are mixed from ok to good.

scorpion 12-01-15 06:50 AM

I can't get into this show for some reason. I think I am bailing. Might come back to it when I don't have so many other things I need to catch up on.

Groucho 12-01-15 09:07 AM

Question about episode 10:

Spoiler:
So the "Man in the High Castle" is Hitler? Which means that both the resistance AND Smith are retrieving films for him?

Also:

Spoiler:
Next season is going to be Fringe: 1962 Edition?

Why So Blu? 12-02-15 09:19 PM

Just wrapped this up and it was great!

On episode 10

So Cary's character can
Spoiler:
create different realities or did he dream up the alternate world?

Can't wait for season 2!

aktick 12-02-15 09:30 PM

Binged the last 8 the day it came out...I liked it, but my main gripe was how stupid some characters were. We're expected to believe that
Spoiler:
the folks that are going to end the Japanese dynasty and Third Reich are this moronic?! Forgot the names already since it's been a couple weeks...but boyfriend dude seems to get from point A to their little shit apartment in 5 seconds, over and over again. :lol:

Still, very much enjoyed it. Ending was definitely WTF?!

Also
Spoiler:
don't think I've ever found myself rooting for Hitler before. :lol: That was pretty cool. Especially after Googling and refreshing my memory on Heydrich. Dude sounds even more horrific than Hitler, especially if he would've attained Hitler's power.

randian 12-06-15 03:20 PM

Finally finished it. I really like the fact that the episodes are a full 55 minutes of show per hour.
Spoiler:

Compelling drama, I hope they do another season.
The films add a clear SF element to an otherwise straightforward alternate history story.
Juliana is an idiot for letting Joe go.
Frank is an idiot for going to the Kempetai.
That factory manager is an ass for turning in Ed.
I hope "this was all a dream" isn't the point of this story.

fumanstan 12-22-15 02:15 PM

6 episodes in. Enjoying this quite a bit, especially the production values. Things like the towns and cities are great visuals, and I really dig the world they put together. Some pretty brutal stuff so far.

flashburn 12-22-15 05:05 PM

Gave up on the show after about 5 episodes. I just realized I was getting lost and didn't care at all about the story or the characters. Personally it just felt like wasted concept. Great idea, poor execution. I'll probably give it another shot before season 2 is released though.

fumanstan 12-23-15 05:23 PM

Finished today. Disappointed with the ending and that not nearly as much was revealed that I hoped for, with too many questions left unanswered.

I also dislike how often they show characters about the flee or leave some place only to hear news at the last second and go running to help. I felt like they did that 3 or 4 times. Also, DJ Qualls sucks.

diditagain 12-23-15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12679767)
Finished today. Disappointed with the ending and that not nearly as much was revealed that I hoped for, with too many questions left unanswered.

Amazon recently renewed the series for a second season, so there should be additional answers (and probably additional questions) next year.