Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

Old 12-16-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/16/1

Most definitely down for this. Will try and watch an episode tonight.
Old 12-23-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/16/1

Just wrapped this up and it was terrific. A few pacing issues aside - felt it was a strong follow up to the first season. I did miss the outward scope of this world in that it felt more "inward" that there wasn't much to show of a Nazi/Japan occupied world like they showed in the first season. Grated, they may have done it on purpose but I really liked the expansion scenery of the first.

Here's hoping we get a 3rd season and one that premieres much sooner. I remember binging season 1 during Thanksgiving of last year and here were are 13 months later for the season 2. I want it sooner rather than later.
Old 12-31-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked both seasons.
Spoiler:
I thought the parallel timelines might get confusing but they quickly established which timeline we were in every switch, so fortunately it never did. I never did understand just how some people could move between timelines though...
Old 12-31-16, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Just finished season 2 and would be intrigued to see a season 3.

Spoiler:
Anyone catch the title of the film that Smith found in Hitler's film vault?
Old 01-01-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just finished the first two episodes back to back. Good, but not grabbing me right out of the box like the first season. Will watch all the episodes, though.
Old 01-03-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Renewed for a 3rd season: http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/03/man-high...ewed-season-3/

Eric Overmyer, the Producer of Bosch, will take over as showrunner.
Old 01-03-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Renewed for a 3rd season: http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/03/man-high...ewed-season-3/

Eric Overmyer, the Producer of Bosch, will take over as showrunner.
Nice!

I wonder why Frank Spotnitz left?
Old 01-03-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nice!

I wonder why Frank Spotnitz left?
It was reported that he clashed with Amazon on the creative direction of the series.
Old 01-03-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Yeah, apparently where Netflix gives people money and says "Deliver a show", Amazon is a lot more hands on.
Old 01-03-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Binged both seasons over a week or so and I was simply blown away by it. I wasn't grabbed right away and it was a bit of a chore getting through the first couple of episodes, but something clicked after that. I'm going to have to go back and watch those first 2 episodes again I think.
Old 01-03-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It was reported that he clashed with Amazon on the creative direction of the series.
A number of reviewers have negatively commented on the current direction of the series.
Old 01-19-17, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched Episode 6 of season 2. Easily the best overlooked show on TV. It's not pleasant but there's so much creativity, and such good acting--led by Rufus Sewell and the wonderful Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa.

The second season is definitely better, and deeper than the first. There is also the excellent set design--Nobusuke lives in a house that's a cross between Frank Lloyd Wright and Japanese architecture (which is a laugh for Wright aficionados), they realize Albert Speers' plan and buildings that he designed for Hitler and even a small touch like a telephone is thought out. How would an evolved telephone look in the 1960's when America was enslaved by the Germans and Japanese?

This, and Mozart in the Jungle, are two adult-oriented examples of excellence in their respective genres which deserve more attention.
Old 01-27-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Finished up the season tonight, good stuff. I still don't understand how Tagomi time traveled back and forth between his reality and the alternate one, but outside of that I've found the show very intriguing. I'll be back for Season 3.
Old 04-15-17, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Just finished my binge of Season 2. I liked it quite a bit more than Season 1. Definitely looking forward to season 3. I thought all the threads came together really really well. And the acting is truly truly exceptional.
Old 04-15-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I still don't understand how Tagomi time traveled back and forth between his reality and the alternate one, but outside of that I've found the show very intriguing. I'll be back for Season 3.
Same here, I don't understand how he goes back and forth between realities. BTW, he isn't time traveling at all because it's still the same year with different outcomes. Sort of like Sliders.
Old 04-15-17, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
Same here, I don't understand how he goes back and forth between realities. BTW, he isn't time traveling at all because it's still the same year with different outcomes. Sort of like Sliders.
Hint: It's fiction.
Old 04-20-17, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 11/20/1

Just finished the first season, was ok, felt like it dragged on a lot in parts. Julianna is a moron, as I agree with most others comments. Hoping season 2 is better and can hold my attention more.
Old 04-29-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 11/20/1

I just finished season two. I like the slow burn, and I thought this handled it fairly well.

The thing that caught my interest with this show is there are very few actual "bad" guys. Everyone, from the Obergruppenführer to the Chief Inspector to the Resistance are doing what they do out of a sense of duty and personal honor.

I found the last episode a little rushed, but I really don't see what's left to be done in the upcoming season 3.
Old 12-27-17, 06:47 AM

Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/2

Did anyone have trouble hearing the show? I just watched the first two seasons and for most of them, I couldn't understand half of what was being said.
Old 12-28-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Hint: It's fiction.
Late response but thanks for stating the obvious.

The show doesn't explain how it happens. Any explanation with a hint of logic would suffice besides stating the obvious.
Old 12-29-17, 07:13 AM

Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/2

I gave up and bought the book. This is the only original Amazon series I've watched. I doubt I'll be tuning in on any others if they can't bring their production values up. I had just been given a new tv for Christmas and thought there was something wrong with it because the sound on this series is so bad. Finally googled "I can't hear the man in the High Castle" and discovered there is, indeed, something really wrong with the sound in this show.

As for the story itself, I'm going to regret having bought the book because my experience with P Dick has been he's great at story set up, but the tales themselves just don't hold up. Nevertheless, I was curious enough about how they are going from one reality to another, that I broke down and got it.
Old 12-29-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

You couldn't try closed caption? I haven't had a problem with High Castle but I know on a show like The Crown that has heavy accents I find it easier to have CC on to follow along better.
Old 12-29-17, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
You couldn't try closed caption? I haven't had a problem with High Castle but I know on a show like The Crown that has heavy accents I find it easier to have CC on to follow along better.
It took me a few days to locate the cc on my new tv. Also, it wasn't always that it was too quiet. It would be frustratingly so most of the time, but then there were scenes and episodes where the sound was just huge and horrible with echos and reverberations that had nothing to do with the story.

It was only after I finished watching that I found my cc, which I haven't needed since. I was too frustrated and annoyed to go back through it.
Old 02-11-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I’m alittle late to the party as I finally got Amazon Prime so watched the first episode. Very intrigued by the story taking place later then I thought (I was expecting it to be right after WW2), The cinematography and the look of the show is very realistic.

I do have a question about the characters as I felt that was the only weak part of the pilot. Is this is a story driven show or is it a character driven show? I’m sensing it’s more story driven.
Old 02-12-18, 09:02 AM

I made the mistake of reading the book. The show is quite different from it, but not enough that I will ever be back.

I hate Phillip K. Dick. It's not the show, it's me

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.