Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/2

Originally Posted by smorbie
I was curious enough about how they are going from one reality to another, that I broke down and got it.
So, how was this done? Please put it in spoilers. Thanks.
Old 02-13-18, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/2

okaaaaay. This is a SPOILER, everyone. Don't read it you don't want to know. Also remember the movie is doing somethings different from the book.

Spoiler:
they don't really explain, but he is somehow seeing actual reality
Old 02-13-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

okaaaaay. This is a SPOILER, everyone. Don't read it you don't want to know. Also remember the movie is doing somethings different from the book.

Spoiler:
they don't really explain, but he is somehow seeing actual reality
Spoiler:
So, both the Japanese guy and the person creating the film reels are seeing our reality and no explanation on how the Japanese guy is traveling between both realities? I hope they give us some sort of answer down the line in the series.
Old 02-13-18, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Spoiler:
So, both the Japanese guy and the person creating the film reels are seeing our reality and no explanation on how the Japanese guy is traveling between both realities? I hope they give us some sort of answer down the line in the series.
Spoiler:
I assume it may not be limited as there was the fellow w the scars who came from our earth to his. Also thought the films might be from multiple earths?
Old 02-13-18, 01:29 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I’m alittle late to the party as I finally got Amazon Prime so watched the first episode. Very intrigued by the story taking place later then I thought (I was expecting it to be right after WW2), The cinematography and the look of the show is very realistic.

I do have a question about the characters as I felt that was the only weak part of the pilot. Is this is a story driven show or is it a character driven show? I’m sensing it’s more story driven.
It's more story in season 1 and the characters do develop more into season 2. For me season 2 got a little weird. I loved the dystopian feeling of the first few episodes of season 1. I think they nailed a lot of what could have happened in a world ruled by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan at least from my imagination. Season 2 gets a little too "time travely" and off track from the dystopia vibe for my taste, but I'm still interested in the series.
Old 02-13-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Spoiler:
I assume it may not be limited as there was the fellow w the scars who came from our earth to his. Also thought the films might be from multiple earths?
I forgot about that guy.
Old 02-13-18, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
yeah, I threw 10 bucks away on that garbage. The man in the high castle has no idea why he wrote the book (it's a book in the book). He thinks the I cheng, which has a BIG role in the book, told him to.

It was honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my entire life.
Old 02-13-18, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
yeah, I threw 10 bucks away on that garbage. The man in the high castle has no idea why he wrote the book (it's a book in the book). He thinks the I cheng, which has a BIG role in the book, told him to.

It was honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my entire life.
Screw the book. I will continue with the series.
Old 02-14-18, 08:59 AM

they've changed it quite a bit, so I hope the show will be better.

I'm done, though. That's classic Phillip K. Dick, great setup, stupid story.
Old 02-16-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I’m 3 episodes in the first season and this show has been very disappointing. I was really intrigued by the storyline but these characters are a bore. Is this one of those shows where it takes a few episodes to click, as I’m willing to stick with it.
Old 02-17-18, 06:32 AM

For me it never got any better.
Old 02-20-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Finally finished Season 1 and it definitely picks up around Episode 6. Oddly, the most compelling characters and storylines come from the Nazis and Japanese. The weak link of the show comes from the American characters and the Resistance.

I have to say I like the show and will continue on to Season 2, but I think it could be a great show if they developed Joe, Frank and Juliana better.

I’m surprised the show hasn’t gotten shit from certain groups or even some critics who would complain they’re making some of the Japanese and Nazi characters somewhat sympathetic. Right now it’s the strength of the show as I’m interested to see where it goes with these alternate timelines.
Old 02-21-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I’m surprised the show hasn’t gotten shit from certain groups or even some critics who would complain they’re making some of the Japanese and Nazi characters somewhat sympathetic. Right now it’s the strength of the show as I’m interested to see where it goes with these alternate timelines.
I think the fact it's an alternate reality helps. Plus, these characters act out of a personal sense of duty and honor, as opposed to doctrine or ideology. Plus, they're well written and well cast.
Old 07-21-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Renewed for Season 4: https://deadline.com/2018/07/man-in-...on-1202431142/
Old 07-22-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Good news! I am waiting impatiently for season 3.
Old 07-29-18, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Good news! I am waiting impatiently for season 3.
Same here. Love the shots of Yamato and/or Musashi entering San Fran. Interested to see where they go with the cross-dimensional aspects.
Old 07-29-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

So how long have they been shooting season 3?
Old 08-23-18, 12:23 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Season 3 premieres 10/5/18.

<iframe width="700" height="394" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xunwv3rRWYo?list=PLZQfnFyelTBOQ15kmHSgEbdjzLMWzZpL7" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-23-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes!
Old 10-04-18, 01:44 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Season three of the Emmy award-winning The Man in the High Castle finds Juliana Crain (Alexa Davalos) grappling with her destiny after seeking safety in the Neutral Zone. Realizing that their fates are intertwined, she works with Trade Minister Tagomi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) to interpret the mystery of the last remaining films. Meanwhile, as tensions between the Reich and the Empire continue to rise, Joe Blake (Luke Kleintank) returns from Berlin and is sent on a diplomatic mission to San Francisco, where he and Juliana reunite and come to a turning point in their relationship. Also in the new season, Obergruppenfuhrer John Smith (Rufus Sewell) finds himself celebrated by Nazi high society, but political forces are closing in as North American Reischsmarschall Lincoln Rockwell and J. Edgar Hoover plot against him. Helen (Chelah Horsdal) takes drastic action to protect her family while they struggle with the aftermath of Thomas' death, and Smith learns of a shocking and ambitious new Nazi program that has personal and global ramifications.

10/5 only on Prime Video.
Old 10-04-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm gonna be busy this weekend!
Old 10-04-18, 02:05 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Oh, I like this show, but it's tough to watch. It feels like anyone could be shot by anyone anytime. My stomach gets in knots, not knowing who gets a bullet each episode.
Old 10-04-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to this--it's been a long wait since season 2 dropped.
Old 10-08-18, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I don’t know why they’re trying to hide the UHD version of season 3. It doesn’t appear in searches, doesn’t appear in the “UHD series” genre, and uses the standard HD banner in the corner. On my Apple TV Prime Video app I found it from the top-level “Originals” menu (Originals, Movies, TV, Kids, etc) in the “Included with Prime: Original Series” section.
Old 10-08-18, 06:06 PM

Bump

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.