Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon) -- Series Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/20/15

Old 12-23-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 11/20/1

Originally Posted by diditagain
Amazon recently renewed the series for a second season, so there should be additional answers (and probably additional questions) next year.
Yeah, I heard. I think I just expected more finality to a lot of the plot points and main characters.
Old 12-24-15, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 11/20/1

yeah, I just finished this tonight in my "Oh, it's christmas and no new programming is on, guess I'll catch up on shit" mode

Can't say I'm particularly interested anymore. The last few episodes felt like I was just doing it to get some sort of closure. I was also annoyed at the amount of potential fleeing that gets stopped at the 11th hour. Also, yeah, the lack of any real tying up of loose ends in much of anything other than the shooting was just.. meh.

Can't really say I care if it didn't come back as next year will probably be more of the same.
Old 01-05-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is excellent in the role of the trade minister.

Finally finished it tonight.

I liked the final ep quite a bit, particularly the closing scene.

curious how much the series differs from the novel.
Old 02-13-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Just finished this today. Thought this was good, not great.
Old 02-21-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

We finally finished the season. As others have said the running time is a full 55 minutes, plus a lot of the episodes are heavy. Not something to just breeze through.

One thing this show does well - like the American's - is make you sympathies or supportive of characters you typically wouldn't expect or want to. I mean Joe and John Smith are Nazi's. Heck, somebody before said they were rooting for Hitler (who oddly seemed balanced and logical).

One thing the show didn't too well in to me, was develop the characters and their motivations. With the exception of possibly Juliana, nobody much made many decisions. Likewise, it seemed like most decisions were in reaction to something, not as forethought to accomplish something. For all the talk of fate and destiny, I'd have expected Juliana to be brought in to joining the resistance and fighting for freedom. Then again, I suppose the point is she questions their methods.

I did like how well built the world was. Amazing they can not only pull off a period piece, but also create such a vivid alternative reality.

It seemed like some of the flags on the castle were real, but I wonder if it was all CG.
Old 04-22-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

I watched this over the last week. I liked it and I'll watch season 2, but goddamn if I wasn't angry about
Spoiler:
Julianna repeatedly defending and letting Joe go even though it should have been obvious to her he's a Nazi agent. After they saw the film showing Joe as a Nazi, I was hoping FINALLY, Julianna will stop defending this guy. Nope! Helps him escape because she bafflingly has feelings for him.

Besides that though, I thought it was well acted and had great production value. That castle was amazing (despite all the swastikas all over it)
Old 04-23-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.

curious how much the series differs from the novel.
A whole hell of a lot actually.

The show is far from perfect, with some characters doing really dumb things, but I'm a sucker for alternate history stuff and it had great production values, so I'm in for season two.
Old 05-20-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-man-...es-1201759933/

Well, this is pretty huge. Frank Spotnitz has quit the show. He reportedly clashed with Amazon.

No new showrunner as of right now. Amazon's statement in the link sounds like they won't hire a new one and will spread his duties among the rest of the staff.

I only watched the Pilot. Too many other shows going on when this premiered.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-20-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the series. I am looking forward to the next one.
Old 05-20-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2016/05/the-man-...es-1201759933/

Well, this is pretty huge. Frank Spotnitz has quit the show. He reportedly clashed with Amazon.

No new showrunner as of right now. Amazon's statement in the link sounds like they won't hire a new one and will spread his duties among the rest of the staff.

I only watched the Pilot. Too many other shows going on when this premiered.
I'm mixed on that news. Since they're getting rid of the showrunner and just spreading his duties, I don't think it will help the show at all. Also, it seems like Amazon likes to clash with their show runners, unlike other streaming services such as Netflix which seem to just write a check, give them guidelines and let them go.
Old 06-04-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Started watching this, but I think I'm done after the beginning of episode 4, where they bash that bounty hunter in the head, and instead of grabbing his shotgun and killing the fuck out of him, or at least shooting his legs so he can't chase them, or just taking his gun so he won't have a gun when he comes after them (though any sane person would opt for the kill), where they just run like fucking idiots. Seriously? I mean, I understand some contrivances have to occur for a plot to move along, but if they don't want to keep that bounty hunter alive, they shouldn't put him in a situation where killing him makes the most sense.

There are other examples of this lazy sort of writing in the show, but this one jumped out at me and was the most egregious, enough to make me stop mid-episode.
Old 06-09-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Started watching this, but I think I'm done after the beginning of episode 4, where they bash that bounty hunter in the head, and instead of grabbing his shotgun and killing the fuck out of him, or at least shooting his legs so he can't chase them, or just taking his gun so he won't have a gun when he comes after them (though any sane person would opt for the kill), where they just run like fucking idiots. Seriously? I mean, I understand some contrivances have to occur for a plot to move along, but if they don't want to keep that bounty hunter alive, they shouldn't put him in a situation where killing him makes the most sense.

There are other examples of this lazy sort of writing in the show, but this one jumped out at me and was the most egregious, enough to make me stop mid-episode.
I think there are a few more plot points that come out he way you might expect to be cliche, but they end up having a twist that minimize them.

There are some good parts and some intriguing plot developments. As summer tends to be slow, I think you'd be okay if you stick with it.
Old 06-09-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Count me in the good-not-great crowd, as I thought it lost steam midseason. I might watch next season but will probably wait for reviews.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm mixed on that news. Since they're getting rid of the showrunner and just spreading his duties, I don't think it will help the show at all. Also, it seems like Amazon likes to clash with their show runners, unlike other streaming services such as Netflix which seem to just write a check, give them guidelines and let them go.
Figures that Amazon would be too cheap (sorry, "frugal") to do that. We're the losers if it ends up that we don't get the TV programs we could.
Old 10-12-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Season 2 Trailer

Comes out on Amazon Prime December 16th

Old 10-13-16, 05:18 AM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts

Looks good!
Old 10-13-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I haven't read anything else here since I'm not all the way through S1, but I'm about 4-5 eps in and it seems very slow to me. Does the pace change or is it like this the whole way? Don't really care much for the characters or actors right now.
Old 10-13-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I haven't read anything else here since I'm not all the way through S1, but I'm about 4-5 eps in and it seems very slow to me. Does the pace change or is it like this the whole way? Don't really care much for the characters or actors right now.
Pretty much slow all the way through with a few exciting/interesting moments sprinkled here and there to wake you up.
Old 10-13-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

This one was way to slow in the first season. Season 2 better pick up that pacing issues or I may not be bothered to finish.
Old 10-13-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Same, I'll try and give the second season a shot for a few episodes but i was pretty disappointed at how slow season 1 moved along.
Old 10-13-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

OK - so not goo enough to actually pay for Prime then (I'm still on a free trial).
Old 10-13-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

yeah, if I didn't already have prime, I would not pay for it just to get to this.
Old 12-16-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/16/16

Based on Philip K. Dick's Hugo Award-winning 1962 alternate history novel, one-hour drama series The Man in the High Castle explores what would have happened if the Allied Powers had lost World War II. While Germany controls much of the East Coast and Japan controls the West Coast, the Rocky Mountains have become a "neutral zone" - and ground zero for a resistance, led by a mysterious figure known only as "the Man in the High Castle." While some citizens struggle against the fear, oppression and inequality, others accept their lives, as compromised and unfulfilling as they might be. But after a series of enigmatic films surface depicting a world vastly different from their own, some begin to question the very nature of their reality... Season two resumes with Juliana Crain (Alexa Davalos) facing the consequences of her decision to betray the Resistance and allow Joe Blake (Luke Kleintank), a suspected Nazi agent, to escape the Pacific States with a film originally bound for the Man in the High Castle. Joe himself returns a hero to the Reich and finds himself thrust into the Nazi capital of Berlin, face to face with the father who abandoned him. Meanwhile, Frank Frink (Rupert Evans) becomes increasingly radicalized and drawn further into the resistance after seeing images of his own execution in the mysterious films. With political tensions mounting between Germany and Japan, Trade Minister Tagomi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) begins to regret his success in smuggling nuclear technology from the Reich and seeks solace in the strange new world he discovered at the end of season one. Meanwhile, Obergruppenführer John Smith (Rufus Sewell) struggles to reconcile the values of the Reich with the deteriorating health of his son - all while tasked with a mission from the Fuhrer for which failure is not an option. And Chief Inspector Kido (Joel De La Fuente) begins to take greater interest in the Man in the High Castle, the films, and how Juliana Crain is connected to it all.

Season 2 is available as of today. All 10 episodes.
Old 12-16-16, 09:39 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/16/1

Yet another show to catch up on. Still haven't watched season 1.
Old 12-16-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/16/1

Well, time to clear my schedule for the day and binge this. It's gonna be a busy weekend of binging new shows.
Old 12-16-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Much like the novel itself, I found the first season to be conceptually interesting (LOVED the credit sequence) but I ultimately did not care what happened to any of the characters.

I am on the fence about diving into S02...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.