Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - 11/20/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - 11/20/15

Just started this. Let's see how it goes.
Old 11-27-15, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
Spoiler:

Kilgrave forced her to do something she was vehemently opposed to doing -- kill Luke Cage's wife (I forget her name). This caused her to psychologically snap which gave her an immunity to his "virus". Remember that this is a comic book story with comic book logic.
I disagree with your theory.
Spoiler:
I think if that was the case we'd have seen a lot more people show immunity. My personal theory is that his raping of Jessica eventually created her body to develop antibodies that caused an immunity to the virus. But like you said, this is all comic book logic!
Old 11-28-15, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn't "all of a sudden" as well either.

Spoiler:
Killgrave knew she couldn't be controlled any longer. It really happened when she killed Luke's wife. As he was telling Jessica to stop and she was ignoring it. Comic book logic just points to that being the moment that she no longer was under the effect. Simply put, doing that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 11-28-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This isn't really a spoiler, just something I was wondering about Killgrave's powers. Could he control someone who didn't understand English? Like if he said "Slit your own throat" to someone from Russia, would they just stair at him blankly?

This occurred to me early in the series, but I didn't want to post the question in case it came up in the series. It could have been an interesting weapon against him.
Old 11-28-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I disagree with your theory.
Spoiler:
I think if that was the case we'd have seen a lot more people show immunity. My personal theory is that his raping of Jessica eventually created her body to develop antibodies that caused an immunity to the virus. But like you said, this is all comic book logic!
Spoiler:
Like Jackskeleton says above she clearly stops obeying him right after she kills Reva. He's SCREAMING orders at her but she just walks away. This is the moment that she breaks the virus's hold on her.
Old 11-28-15, 12:29 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm up to episode 7, i gotta say i think it's a bit boring in places and monotonous , having one villian for the whole series without other sub villians is a bit dragging

and the fight scenes involved Jessica are terrible

even Luke Cage isn't coming accross that strongly in fights
Old 11-28-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked it, but didn't love it. Daredevil worked a lot better for me. This had great acting mostly and solid characters but it all felt too padded out (10 episodes would've been much better pace) and so many plot holes, the most obvious being why nobody just grabbed earplugs. The cat and mouse stuff got really dragged out and diluted Kilgrave as a character for me (just how many chances did JJ have to ice him?) a lot of the secondary characters plots failed for me, like Simpson's character which just seemed teasers for season 2, and the endless Hogarth relationship dramas. A solid B+ for me but there's a lot better superhero stuff out there right now.
Old 11-28-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
and the fight scenes involved Jessica are terrible
Her fight scenes should be terrible. Shes stronger and tougher than most people, so she's never had to learn to actually fight.
Old 11-28-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it explained why reva had the
Spoiler:
flashdrive with the child experiments on it or why Luke's name was not on the bar papers or anything?

maybe that gets explored on the luke cage show.

i was irked by the
Spoiler:
we have kilgrave/we lost kilgrave stuff after the 4th time
but not enough for it to diminish my enjoyment of the show. i liked daredevils fight scenes way more, but examination of psychological trauma was a more interesting story for me.
Old 11-29-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Watched the first episode and love that's it's neo-noir but wow is JJ such an unlikable character. Here's hoping she changes her ways as the season continues.
Old 11-29-15, 10:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

watched the first episode last night and was bored to tears. does it get better?
Old 11-29-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

^ You obviously haven't read through the first four pages of this thread.
Old 11-29-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I am up to episode 12 after binging this weekend and I found it to be far superior to Daredevil which I bailed on. I much prefer JJ to MM as a character not to mention the guy who was cast as DD is a big black hole of charisma. This is one of the darkest shows I have seen and normally I am not into that but for some reason this show is working for me in a big way. David Tenant is fantastic and Kilgrave is truly one of the most terrifying villains I have seen in any medium. Way more than the Joker or any of the MCU movie villains. I am looking forward to Luke Cage but still not sold on Mike Colter totally but since he was ok here, I am hopefully he will at least be decent enough to sell it throughout a series. Kinda bummed that it looks like Iron Fist is on hold for now as I was more an Iron Fist fan than a Luke Cage one.
Old 11-29-15, 07:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I dunno, I'm just not jiving on this series. It's well crafted but the performances seem stilted. I'm just not loving it. I think the guy who plays kilgrave is not imposing enough. The powers don't seem super at all. And just not feeling it thus far. About 6 eps in...
Old 11-29-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
watched the first episode last night and was bored to tears. does it get better?
No, it's pretty much the same so don't bother watching any more episodes. You've cried enough.

I finished the series and really enjoyed it. I will say I am in the camp that liked it a bit more than DD. But that's not a bad thing. It's great having shows like this that will go further than regular network tv. I eagerly await S2.
Old 11-29-15, 07:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
No, it's pretty much the same so don't bother watching any more episodes. You've cried enough.
pretty sure that one and only comment of mine didn't quite justify your pissy response, but OK.
Old 11-29-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I dunno, I'm just not jiving on this series. It's well crafted but the performances seem stilted. I'm just not loving it. I think the guy who plays kilgrave is not imposing enough. The powers don't seem super at all. And just not feeling it thus far. About 6 eps in...
Well Kilgrave has barely appeared by episode 6. The extent of what he does to people becomes far more imposing in later episodes.
Old 11-29-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I think the audience gets a crazier sense of what Kilgrave can do later in the series - not much different from how we saw Fisk develop as Daredevil went on. The first episode is a good teaser, but there definitely feels like a big gap before you see him do anything else incredibly menacing. Although if the end of the first episode wasn't enough to grab you, i'm not sure what would change as the series goes on.

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Kinda bummed that it looks like Iron Fist is on hold for now as I was more an Iron Fist fan than a Luke Cage one.
Wasn't that just a rumor that Marvel denied?
Old 11-30-15, 07:16 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm up to episode 10 and it definitely isn't as good as Daredevil

Too many stupid annoying characters
Old 11-30-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the show, but didn't feel like it was anywhere near as good as Daredevil.

One huge thing I was annoyed by with Kilgrave, was why couldn't they just wear some earplugs? I know they explained it as a airborne virus or whatever, but if they can't even hear his commands, then how could he control them?
Old 11-30-15, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have watched only up until episode 4 so far. Its good, nowhere near as good as Dare Devil though. The characters are fine and the episodes are nicely done, i just feel that after 4 hours i should be further along in story than i am. Not a huge amount has happened and a little too much retreading over the same ground. Will watch until the end and sure it will pick up or the close. Marvel is making interesting shows with Netflix and i know they all can't check all the boxes, but i prefer a show like this any day to the DC fare thats broadcast. They always seem to simply be Villain of the Week, and thats truly uninspired.
Old 11-30-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
I liked the show, but didn't feel like it was anywhere near as good as Daredevil.

One huge thing I was annoyed by with Kilgrave, was why couldn't they just wear some earplugs? I know they explained it as a airborne virus or whatever, but if they can't even hear his commands, then how could he control them?
That's pretty much what Trish did in the final episode. But there are still issues with that, like do you wear earplugs 24-7? That would make it pretty hard to function in the world and would make it pretty easy for him to just sneak up on someone.
Old 11-30-15, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I blew through the whole series over the long weekend. I really enjoyed it. I'd probably put this one ahad of Daredevil, but both were very good.
Old 11-30-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I liked it overall. Yeah, some of the contrivances were lame, but easily overlooked when you marathon a show over one week rather than 13 weeks.

It was a bit too serialized, and I would've like it better if it were a bit more episodic, but, again, watching it all within a week lessens that issue.
Old 11-30-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Six or seven eps in and I am really digging it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.