KICKSTARTER: Bring Back MST3K - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

KICKSTARTER: Bring Back MST3K - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

Old 04-10-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: KICKSTARTER: Bring Back MST3K - MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
It's more annoying to get a notice that the live streaming of the first episode is available to me on sunday as an early backer. Great, I won't be online but they give you access to their 'vhx' video service.

NOW when I log in, I ONLY have access to the 'post show Q&A'. UGH
A full day of on-demand streaming was actually better than what they originally promised, which was a one-time live stream.
"You'll be one of the first to see the first new episode when the movie sign sounds, with ACCESS TO OUR LIVE-STREAMING ONLINE SCREENING..
You'll get access to stream all the episodes starting at 12:01 am ET tonight.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1839871
On TUESDAY, APRIL 11th, at 12:01 am ET, all backers who get the new episodes will be able to start streaming the new episodes from your VHX accounts for 48 hours.

Then, on THURSDAY, APRIL 13th, at 12:01 am ET, all backers who get the new episodes will be able to start downloading the new episodes from VHX as well.

And, on FRIDAY, APRIL 14th, at 12:01 am, the new season will be released on Netflix, where all Netflix users will be able to stream all of the episodes.

I did watch the new episode yesterday on my PC. I tried doing it via my XB1 in the Edge browser, but the browser crashed after a few minutes.

Overall I liked the episode. There were some changes I liked and some I didn't, but anything I didn't like were mostly minor quibbles, and the riffing itself was solid.

I haven't watched the Q&A yet. I mainly wanted to watch the new episode in case the Q&A had "spoilers," but I'm going to wait and watch the others on Netflix, to help with their viewing numbers.
Old 04-10-17, 09:31 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok that's good news. I'm all-too-used to kickstarter delays
Old 04-10-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Was the first episode any good? Anyone here see it?
The opening segment, which sets up the new characters, was kinda lame, and the movie itself starts slow, but about ten minutes into the film it felt like classic MST3K (if classic MST3K included Breaking Bad references). The movie is a Danish Godzilla ripoff from the '60s, and it's a better fit for the series than the straight-to-video crap they did during the Sci-Fi years.

The host segments during the movie were all great. One involves Crow cloning Tom and felt like it could've come straight out of a Joel episode. The second one had the new guy rapping about giant monsters around the world. Obviously that's not something Joel or Mike could've pulled off, but it felt organic with Jonah doing it, and I'd rank the song right up there with "Patrick Swayze Christmas" and "The Sandy Frank Song".
Old 04-10-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I'm terrible at checking my emails and I didn't realize that my backing level qualified me for this, I totally missed it.

I almost wish they would stop with the emails, I sent my money, I'm content to wait for it to hit Netflix.
Old 04-10-17, 11:51 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. I can't wait to catch this on Tuesday

I was fearful that the new host seemed to come off as a snobbish millennial, but hoped for the best.

Glad to hear you liked it!

I paid for the 'Mystery Box' too. Who knows what they'll send! lol
Old 04-10-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I almost wish they would stop with the emails, I sent my money, I'm content to wait for it to hit Netflix.
You can turn off emails in your Kickstarter settings, under notifications:
https://www.kickstarter.com/settings/notifications

Scroll down to "projects you've backed" and uncheck the project you no longer want email notifications from.
Old 04-10-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You can turn off emails in your Kickstarter settings, under notifications:
https://www.kickstarter.com/settings/notifications

Scroll down to "projects you've backed" and uncheck the project you no longer want email notifications from.
Thank you!
Old 04-14-17, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Got done with the Starcrash episode. I don't know if the whole show is gonna be like this, but there sure is some CRAZY energy with this new lineup/format! And while one could feel more "At home" with the simple display of the old show, having The Bots (Including Gypsy) be more animated in the theater is a cool upgrade, imo.
Old 04-14-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone who plans on skipping around instead of watching in order, start with "Cry, Wilderness." It's one of those films that will have you wondering, "Where the hell did this come from." It feels like a badly dubbed '70s Italian movie, but it was made in the US (well, Utah) in 1987.
Old 04-14-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched 'Reptilicus' and it felt like classic MST3K.

Nice to see the invention exchange back. I always thought that was more entertaining than the later ones, when they got rid of it.

Don't really care for Tom's voice. Not only that it doesn't sound like him from the old shows, but it's more difficult to tell who's riffing. It used to be deeper, but now it sounds pretty similar to the others.

Felicia Day seems miscast. They could have done something to make her look a little different at least.

My quibbles are really minor though. It's great to have it back on.
Old 04-14-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

What do you mean a little different? Different than what?
Old 04-14-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MST3K riffed a few minutes of Stranger Things as a promo for all things Netflix:

Old 04-14-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Joel was credited as Ardy but I didn't catch an Ardy in the first show.
Old 04-14-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Joel was credited as Ardy but I didn't catch an Ardy in the first show.
He's there, but masked. He's the guy that sends the movie.

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Ardy
Ardy is a worker at the Moon 13 research base who is responsible for sending the movie to Jonah and the Bots. He is portrayed by series creator Joel Hodgson.
Old 04-14-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
What do you mean a little different? Different than what?
Give her some different make-up or something. I just find it hard buying her as an evil mad scientist. This is only after one episode though.
Old 04-14-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The big problem is (A) we're supposed to believe Dr. Forrester had sex, and (B) his partner was hot enough to produce Kinga. Day should have a goofier hairstyle and some kind of makeup to make her look like a dork.
Old 04-15-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Just watched Reptilicus. A few thoughts:

- Sean O'Hara was right; they over-corrected Gypsy, and her new voice is jarring. Servo's voice isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but should still be lower.

- The new SoL set is terrible! It's way too plain and different from the original. Very distracting.

- I wish they hadn't fast forwarded 2 months. I would have loved to see Jonah's arrival on the SoL and his meeting the bots.

It's pretty much exactly how I thought it would be: entertaining, but "off". Like the Pee-Wee Netflix movie. It's so hard to recapture the past, but I'm in for all the episodes. I mean, I'm a card carrying member of the MST3K Fan Club after all!
Old 04-15-17, 08:57 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

A friend of mine had a "MST3K Premiere Party" last night and we all watched Reptillicus. My thoughts:

• Jonah is a fantastic host! Crow sounds exactly like Crow, and Tom Servo will take a bit of getting used to but he sounds better than he did in the original Kickstarter promos.

• The host segments were spot on, and some felt like they could be right out of classic episodes.

• Speaking of classic, once they were in the theater, this felt just like classic MST3K!

• Felicia Day is probably the weakest part of the show. She's too "girly" and not "evil." I hear she gets better as the series goes.

• LOVE that they kept the commercial break segments!

Overall, I had the biggest smile on my face watching the first episode, and can't wait to get to all the other episodes. Hoping Netflix gives this another season!
Old 04-15-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,448 Posts

I watched the first episode and really liked it, good riffing throughout. I'm also not sold on the new Gypsy, and it's a bit distracting seeing her pop down and Servo flying around sometimes during the movie, that's the main complaint I have. Servo's voice isn't too different, and Crow's is almost spot on, so I'm happy about that.
At any rate, very happy to see the show back!
Old 04-15-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I watched the first episode and really liked it, good riffing throughout. I'm also not sold on the new Gypsy, and it's a bit distracting seeing her pop down and Servo flying around sometimes during the movie, that's the main complaint I have. Servo's voice isn't too different, and Crow's is almost spot on, so I'm happy about that.
At any rate, very happy to see the show back!
I admit to letting out a big "Uh oh" when I saw the flying bots, but for downtime during the riff, it's amusing.

The tone of Servo's voice is similar to when Josh Weinstein voiced Servo. But unlike Weinstein, at least Baron Vaughn doesn't sound completely bored with what's going on.
Old 04-15-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matto1020
LOVE that they kept the commercial break segments!
I don't think it's just an homage, I think they anticipate the show being broadcast on TV with commercials at some point. All of the episodes are around and hour and a half, and at least one was edited down. The first movie, Reptilicus, had a tourism montage edited out of it.

http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmc/rev...2-minutes.html
16. The general is sitting around the office being a pissy old bastard, as generals in these movies usually do, when the young Danish captain comes in and suggests that he might cheer up if he goes into the city and has a look around. So what does he do? He grabs Connie and heads out on a whirlwind tour of the city. Suddenly he's Mr. Cool driving Connie around in his little red convertible. He must have been keeping his good personality in the trunk of his car too because he pulled it out for the drive through town. He was happy and charming and having a good ol' time. Maybe he should make this his primary personality and keep the other one in the trunk. I think he'd be a lot happier. He also becomes Mr. Tour guide as well as we suddenly find out that he's an expert on Denmark, it's landmarks, it's history, and it's culture. Oh man this whole scene is seriously out of character for him. Whoever wrote this oughta be smacked for having him break character this severely.
17. Ok that's enough tourist footage of Denmark now thank you.

18. So after inviting the captain along with them for dinner, they finally sit down in a restaurant called Tivoli. We're then treated to a really bad singer chick singing a stupid song about Tivoli Nights. I mean seriously, she's a horrible singer and not much to look at either. What the hell did any of this have to do with the rest of the movie?
Another account of the film that includes the tourism segments:
http://jabootu.net/?p=620

It was only an 81 minute movie to begin with, so they must've cut out the scene to make room for the longer intro and host segments.

It's also interesting that there's two versions of Reptilicus by two directors, one in Danish and one in English, with mostly the same actors, although the English version was redubbed and Ib Melchior did a rewrite on the script during editing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilicus

BTW, did anyone else notice in the first episode that some jokes based on the visuals were off on the timing, just coming a second before the visual they're referencing? It's weird because the dialogue jokes had the right timing, but the visual jokes were off, like they were reacting based off a time code instead of what was on the screen.
Old 04-15-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
I watched the first episode and really liked it, good riffing throughout. I'm also not sold on the new Gypsy, and it's a bit distracting seeing her pop down and Servo flying around sometimes during the movie, that's the main complaint I have.
Tom flying around lets them censor nudity without entirely cutting a scene.
Old 04-15-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Very happy with the return of MST3K.

Kickstarter reference caused me to remember it's 2017 and these are new episodes.
Old 04-15-17, 08:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Tom flying around lets them censor nudity without entirely cutting a scene.
Ah, I was wondering why we never saw Reptillicus' weenie.
Old 04-15-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I found out that a friend (Larry Johnson) was a writer on episode 7 of the new MST3K.

His screen credit on that episode:

And he runs a live riffing show in Atlanta called "Cineprov" that Joel has supported in the past so it's no surprise that he got to do this. (After I see the episode, I need to ask him which jokes by him made the cut.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.