Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...argate/314854/
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/1...atter-to-syfy/

In Dark Matter, the crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

In making the announcement, Chris Regina, Senior Vice President, Programming, Syfy, said: “Dark Matter is a refreshing and entertaining space opera that blends an intriguing premise with fast-paced suspense. It will be a terrific addition to our prime time schedule next year.”

Heh.

Sounds almost like a continuation of Stargate Universe.
Old 10-15-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: New Syfy show: Dark Matter

Yep, I immediately thought of Stargate Universe (SGU) from the description.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 10-15-14 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: New Syfy show: Dark Matter

Well, it is from the producers and writers of Stargate. That probably explains it.
Old 04-30-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Dark Matter (SyFy) -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/15

In the new original series Dark Matter, the crew of a derelict spaceship awakens with no memories of who they are or how they got there. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage fueled by vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets. Created by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, executive producers and writers of the Stargate franchise, and developed with Prodigy Pictures (Lost Girl), the series features Melissa O'Neil (Broadway's Les Miserables), Marc Bendavid (Bitten), Anthony Lemke (White House Down), Alex Mallari Jr. (Robocop) and Jodelle Ferland (Twilight), with Roger Cross (The Strain, Arrow, 24) and Zoie Palmer (Lost Girl). The 13 one-hour episodes are based on the graphic novel Dark Matter, also by Mallozzi and Mullie, published by Dark Horse Comics.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LTHOdjil-R4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premieres on June 12th. I know this forum always likes to hear about new upcoming Science fiction shows, so I thought I would go ahead and post this with the trailer. Plus, it's from the Producers of Stargate as well.
Old 04-30-15, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/15

Sounds a lot like Stargate Universe. It seems interesting. I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-30-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/15

I'll be watching. Should this be the series thread?
Old 05-01-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might give this a shot.
Old 05-02-15, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
Sounds a lot like Stargate Universe. It seems interesting. I'll give it a shot.
I just happened to come across this independently a couple of days ago, my "once every few months perusing of Gateworld, the Stargate fan/news site" (always hoping/praying that I'll discover news of another attempt at or return to the world of Stargate, only to continually be left disappointed)... anyways, that aside, sounds "a lot like" SGU? Try a complete clone/mirror image of it.

Me? I'm just curious how they think, with the same creative in place behind the scenes, a premise that tanked with the Stargate brand behind it and all the eyes/attention that brought with it is going to make it as a standalone trying anew only a few years later... on the same damnable network, no less, one that's not exactly well known for giving most all scripted sci-fi shows much (any) latitude. (Damn you for axing Caprica, Sci-Fi execs!)

Likewise, I'm eagerly anticipating this - it's right up my alley. I simply don't have any hopes/delusions this thing is going to have any legs/conclusive finality, given the inescapable fact that history repeats itself.

I *really* think they could/should have tried to put some effort into making it less SGU, regardless. I mean... there's even an onboard government/bureaucrat "minder" - played by one Rodney McKay, no less! They're definitely going all in on having this be "Stargate Universe: Version 2.0" - whether that's a good thing, or a bad one, yet remains to be seen.

(Edit to add): My God, I just noticed the promo image in the first post - holy jeez, did they just take the SGU set out of mothballs or something?!? I mean... whoa. Really? Creative for this show has gotta know there's gonna be an avalanche of comments/criticisms pointing out the similarity in concept, working off the synopsis for DM alone - they then couldn't even make the *slightest* attempt to change up the style/visuals/set from SGU? That image quite literally looks like a different cast invaded the SGU set for Destiny before it was demolished.

I mean... SGU had a pretty unusual/distinctive set as it was for a "humans roaming the galaxy" show - the closest parallel I can think of just now in its appearance being Farscape. You'd almost have to make an effort to duplicate that, never mind making it *so* glaringly obvious just in the bloody initial promo photography stills.

Now whether this blatant similarity is ultimately a good thing or a bad one... I suppose largely all depends on one's views regarding SGU itself. Right now, it sure as all get out looks like those that hated SGU probably shouldn't waste an hour of their lives with Dark Matter, but I suppose the folks behind this might still pull a surprise out of their hat and the pilot will leave us going "Stargate Uniwhat now?" come June.

It just doesn't much look that way right now. (Me? I actually liked SGU, so none of this is a bad thing for me. I'm just very much in the minority there, given the intense derision SGU received/receives.)

Last edited by Coladar1; 05-02-15 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I will be tuning in for this and Killjoys and The Expanse.

I'm sad Helix was cancelled but it looks like Syfy has a lot new "SCIFI!!" in the works which makes me happy.
Old 05-09-15, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll watch it. I have the original mini series Dark Horse did for this, I liked it and was curious to see more.
Old 05-09-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The cast photo does nothing for me. Roger Cross is the only actor I recognize but his shows don't have a good track record of sticking around for long.
Old 06-11-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/1

Reminder that this premieres tomorrow night after the third season of Defiance kicks off.

Then next week is KillJoys, the firefly/cowboy bebop look alike.
Old 06-11-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the Producers of Stargate -- 6/12/1

Great I'm looking forward to this and Defiance.
Old 06-12-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,003 Likes on 623 Posts

I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-13-15, 12:04 PM

So 4 guys and 2 women, wonder if the android anatomically correct? Otherwise there could be problems.
Old 06-13-15, 12:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I thought it was decent. I liked the little "twist" at the end. I'm in for awhile at least.
Old 06-13-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it okay, but it didn't really impress me in any way. Of the cast, the only two that I've really seen much of before are Roger Cross (whom I liked) and Zoie Palmer - the android (who I really didn't). With no other tv competition Friday nights then I'll give this at least a couple more episodes.
Old 06-13-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I liked it enough to give it another shot. I groaned when the Asian guy walked into the room with the swords. Really? And am I the only person that misses the day when shows had actual opening theme music and credits?
Old 06-13-15, 06:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the actress playing the android is pretty fucking bad.
Old 06-13-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,003 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
the actress playing the android is pretty fucking bad.
She was robotic as Lauren on Lost Girl, so this is perfect casting! Yeah, she's a terrible actress. But pretty hot. I'm calling her Seven of Seven.

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Of the cast, the only two that I've really seen much of before are Roger Cross (whom I liked)
Is this dude the only black actor in Canada?

Not complaining--the guy is solid, but he shows up in everything.
Old 06-13-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I thought it okay, but it didn't really impress me in any way. Of the cast, the only two that I've really seen much of before are Roger Cross (whom I liked) and Zoie Palmer - the android (who I really didn't). With no other tv competition Friday nights then I'll give this at least a couple more episodes.
You read my mind? I could have written your very words.

A lot of this pilot felt incredibly generic, like I had seen parts of it before in a dozen other sci-fi shows. Agree on Palmer, she singlehandedly ruined Lost Girl and made that show unwatchable.

I plan to give this show three or four episodes but it's already on thin ice with me. I wonder if Syfy believes in it that much since it will be scheduled alongside two other new seasons of Defiance and that KillJoy show.
Old 06-13-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I'm calling her Seven of Seven.

Old 06-14-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
She was robotic as Lauren on Lost Girl, so this is perfect casting! Yeah, she's a terrible actress. But pretty hot. I'm calling her Seven of Seven.
It might seem perfect casting, but I got a feel from her here that she was trying to have fun with the role and inject a little bit of personality or humor to it, or some such nonsense. In other words, that she's actually showing more personality as a robot. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't put it past the actress.

I don't find her hot myself, but as soon as the robot showed up then immediately my mind went to her being the "seventh" found on the ship too. I wasn't particularly impressed on that either, but as long as they don't regularly call her 7 then I'll be okay with it.

Is this dude the only black actor in Canada?

Not complaining--the guy is solid, but he shows up in everything.
I haven't seen enough of his work yet to feel similarly, the only significant roles being 24, Continuum and now this. I need to catch up on Arrow, and I guess once I start with more then I might feel the same. But at least he's been solid, as you say.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You read my mind? I could have written your very words.
Thanks! And you're welcome, I guess.

A lot of this pilot felt incredibly generic, like I had seen parts of it before in a dozen other sci-fi shows. Agree on Palmer, she singlehandedly ruined Lost Girl and made that show unwatchable.

I plan to give this show three or four episodes but it's already on thin ice with me. I wonder if Syfy believes in it that much since it will be scheduled alongside two other new seasons of Defiance and that KillJoy show.
Yeah, nothing new so far, though maybe they're just trying for something solid (at best) to start with and then try to turn it into something more. Imo a lot of genre shows needed a Season or two to find their footing. But considering how poor-to-absymal the ratings for that channel have been then I can see them trying to go back to what's worked in the past and make the best effort that they can for Defiance to continue and some of these new shows to succeed.

As for Palmer, going back to S1 of Lost Girl I actually thought that she was well cast, for a minor cast member who'd get 2-4 minutes per episode, skip some eps. entirely, and never have an important role in any plot except perhaps as a hostage. But for what they turned that role into? I'd have to say that she was horribly miscast and her plot lines usually seemed forced into the show, as something of a lead weight.
Old 06-15-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah this was generic and the twist was obvious. I was still entertained. I'm just desperate for actual space shows. A lot of sci-fi on TV but this is the first actual show set in outer space I can recall in years. And there's another new one next week (Killjoys)! I don't expect that one to be that great either.
Old 06-17-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
So 4 guys and 2 women, wonder if the android anatomically correct? Otherwise there could be problems.
If everyone's monogamously heteronormative and the android's anatomically correct, the crew would still have a guy left over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.