Reload this Page >

His Dark Materials (BBC / HBO) -- premieres 11/4/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-05-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

New TV adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials book series. I enjoyed The Golden Compass movie and was disappointed they never continued the story, but this could be even better. The HBO connection is promising as well.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...hillip-pullman

November 3, 2015 11:28 am

The BBC Is Bringing a Beloved Book Series Back from the Dead

by Joanna Robinson

Your mileage may vary when it comes to the 2007 film The Golden Compass. But love it or hate it, fans of His Dark Materials, the Philip Pullman book series it was based on, had to have been disappointed that the underperforming franchise never made it past its first installment. We didn’t even get to Part 2, with Will Parry and his subtle knife! For those thirsty to see the adventures of Lyra, Will, and those armored bears on-screen in a more complete form, rejoice. BBC One has commissioned an eight-part mini-series based on the books, and this time, we hope, Will and Lyra go all the way.

Variety reports that former BBC executives Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner will make the His Dark Materials series the flagship effort of their newly formed production company, Bad Wolf. The company has solid ties to the BBC; Tranter and Gardner produced, among other things, the new Doctor Who, which is where the Bad Wolf name comes from. But the new company is also connected to HBO. Tranter told Variety earlier this summer, “The best way of describing it is we are HBO’s people in the U.K. Our task is to ensure that HBO are across anything and everything that they might want to be in terms of writers, directors, actors, and producers, not limited to Bad Wolf, bringing to HBO’s attention the many exciting things that are happening in the U.K.”

This is great news for those hoping that His Dark Materials will be the highest quality series it can possibly be. The BBC has already shown it’s capable of a top-notch fantasy adaptation with 2015’s stellar Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, but an association with HBO (and a mention of Game of Thrones as an inspiration for His Dark Materials) means that Tranter and Gardner have an even bigger scope in mind for this eight-episode production.

And scope was one of the reasons why The Golden Compass was a disappointment to many back in 2007. The earlier version had some top-notch casting, including the voice of Sir Ian McKellen as the armored bear Iorek Byrnison, Sam Elliott as Texan aeronaut Lee Scoresby, and Eva Green as the witch Serafina Pekkala. The BBC version will be hard-pressed to find anyone more cowboyish than Elliott or witchier than Green. But Pullman’s books are far denser than, say, the Harry Potter series and didn’t fit easily into the limited screen time of a feature film. It’s possible that given more room, the true magic of Pullman’s story will translate to the screen.

“In recent years,” Pullman said, addressing just this concern, “we’ve seen how long stories on television, whether adaptations (Game of Thrones) or original (The Sopranos, The Wire), can reach depths of characterization and heights of suspense by taking the time for events to make their proper impact and for consequences to unravel. And the sheer talent now working in the world of long-form television is formidable. For all those reasons I’m delighted at the prospect of a television version of His Dark Materials. I’m especially pleased at the involvement of Jane Tranter, whose experience, imagination, and drive are second to none. As for the BBC, it has no stronger supporter than me. I couldn’t be more pleased with this news.”

There’s no confirmation yet whether the first eight episodes will just cover the first book (called Northern Lights in the U.K. and The Golden Compass in the U.S.), with subsequent seasons tackling The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. But that approach seems likely, given how much growing up Lyra has to do over the course of the story. His Dark Materials has been published in more than 40 languages, and has sold close to 17.5 million copies worldwide. It’s been a radio play and a stage play. Now, finally, Lyra may be getting the on-screen treatment she deserves.
More from Variety, spoilered for length:

Spoiler:
http://variety.com/2015/tv/global/bbc-orders-philip-pullmans-his-dark-materials-1201632207/

BBC Greenlights TV Series Based on Philip Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials’

November 3, 2015 | 02:45AM PT
Leo Barraclough

LONDON — The BBC’s flagship channel, BBC One, has commissioned an initial eight-part series based on Philip Pullman’s epic fantasy novel in three parts, “His Dark Materials,” from Bad Wolf and New Line Cinema, which will be produced in Wales.

“His Dark Materials” has been published in more than 40 languages, and has sold worldwide close to 17.5 million copies.

The first part of the trilogy, “Northern Lights,” introduces Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe in which science, theology and magic are entwined. Lyra’s search for a kidnapped friend uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children and turns into a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust.

In “The Subtle Knife,” she is joined on her journey by Will, a boy who possesses a knife that can cut windows between worlds. As Lyra learns the truth about her parents and her prophesied destiny, the two young people are caught up in a war against celestial powers that ranges across many worlds, and leads to a thrilling conclusion in “The Amber Spyglass.”

“His Dark Materials” is the first commission from Bad Wolf, a U.K./U.S. production company founded by former BBC executives Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner, and co-sited in South Wales and Los Angeles. Bad Wolf just partnered with HBO in the U.S. for a non-exclusive first-look deal, as Variety exclusively reported. The show is New Line’s first move into British television. The series will be executive produced by Pullman, Tranter and Gardner for Bad Wolf, Toby Emmerich and Carolyn Blackwood for New Line Cinema, and Deborah Forte for Scholastic.

Pullman said: “It’s been a constant source of pleasure to me to see this story adapted to different forms and presented in different media. It’s been a radio play, a stage play, a film, an audiobook, a graphic novel — and now comes this version for television.”

He added: “In recent years we’ve seen how long stories on television, whether adaptations (‘Game of Thrones’) or original (‘The Sopranos,’ ‘The Wire’), can reach depths of characterization and heights of suspense by taking the time for events to make their proper impact and for consequences to unravel. And the sheer talent now working in the world of long-form television is formidable.

“For all those reasons I’m delighted at the prospect of a television version of ‘His Dark Materials.’ I’m especially pleased at the involvement of Jane Tranter, whose experience, imagination, and drive are second to none. As for the BBC, it has no stronger supporter than me. I couldn’t be more pleased with this news.”

Tranter said: “It is an honor and a joy to be part of the team responsible for bringing Philip Pullman’s trilogy of novels ‘His Dark Materials’ to the BBC. Ever since they were first published these books have been a huge influence on so much of my thinking and imagination, and it is enormously inspiring to be now working on them for television adaptation. The broad horizons of television suggests itself as the best of vehicles to capture the expansiveness of the story and worlds of Lyra and Will, and I am looking forward to seeing how ‘Northern Lights,’ ‘The Subtle Knife’ and ‘The Amber Spyglass’ will occupy their place in an audience’s imagination across many episodes and seasons.”

Since first publication in 1995 of “Northern Lights,” the three books have been acclaimed worldwide and have won many awards. In 2001 “The Amber Spyglass” was the first and only children’s book to win the Whitbread (now Costa) Book of the Year Award, in 2007 “Northern Lights” won the Carnegie of Carnegies, and in 2005 Pullman was awarded by the Swedish Arts Council, the children’s literature equivalent of the Nobel Prize, The Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award.

Previous adaptations of the novels include Nicholas Hytner’s stage production of the trilogy, which was produced in two parts at the National Theatre in 2003-4. In 2007, New Line Cinema released the film “The Golden Compass,” which was based on “Northern Lights.” It starred Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and Dakota Blue Richards as Lyra.

Polly Hill, controller BBC drama commissioning, said: “It is an honor to be bringing Philip Pullman’s extraordinary novels to BBC One. ‘His Dark Materials’ is a stunning trilogy, and a drama event for young and old — a real family treat, that shows our commitment to original and ambitious storytelling.”

Old 11-05-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: His Dark Materials (BBC / HBO) -- premieres 11/4/19

Well, this is a surprise. I liked the books, I'll check it out.
Old 11-05-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I was glad to see this news. It'll be nice to see an adaptation actually get through all the books.
Old 11-05-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I actually was one of the few that liked the movie. To do this well requires a TON of CGI and practical effects. They had better have a GOT like budget.
Old 11-06-15, 05:47 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Those are some of my all-time favorite books. I hope this happens!
Old 11-06-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They'll just use live polar bears instead of CGI.
Old 11-06-15, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm waiting for The Pope's review.
Old 11-06-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pre-release backlash the movie received from religious groups certainly didn't help. If people gave it a chance they might have actually liked it. I thought it was really well done.

Didn't much of the Narnia series get made a similar way back in the day (BBC TV)? How were the production values on those?
Old 11-06-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The pre-release backlash the movie received from religious groups certainly didn't help. If people gave it a chance they might have actually liked it. I thought it was really well done.

Didn't much of the Narnia series get made a similar way back in the day (BBC TV)? How were the production values on those?
Not great, not bad, but you can't really compare the two, TV is a much different beast today than it was 30 years ago.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-06-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The pre-release backlash the movie received from religious groups certainly didn't help.
I wasn't particularly thrilled with Pullman stopping the story just to unpleasantly blast my religion when I read the books, but I think that the backlash wasn't the biggest issue. I think it was a more the fact that the property is much more well-known in the U.K. than the U.S., and that it came out trying to cash in on the big Harry Potter wave. I just don't think that the books have enough of a following in the U.S. to support a blockbuster-budget movie. It'd be more at home on the BBC, more aimed at an audience familiar with it and probably be more budget-appropriate.
Old 11-06-15, 10:57 PM
Banned

I really love these books, I read them a couple of times.

If you liked them you should try giving the BBC audiobook series a try. It's really quite good.
Old 11-06-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The unabridged US versions were done by a full cast, I don't know if it's the same one or not, but it's superbly well-done.
Old 03-09-18, 08:16 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

‘The King’s Speech’ Director Tom Hooper & ‘Logan’ Star Dafne Keen Sign Up For ‘His Dark Materials’ Adaptation

EXCLUSIVE: The King’s Speech director Tom Hooper and Dafne Keen, the breakout star of Marvel’s Logan, have signed for the big-budget adaptation of Philip Pullman’s fantasy epic His Dark Materials. I hear that the in-demand director has just closed a deal to helm the eight-part series following lengthy negotiations, while Keen will play main character Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe. Hamilton creator and star Lin-Manuel Miranda is also joining as adventurer Lee Scoresby.

I understand that Hooper has been keen for some time to oversee the series, which is produced by Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner’s Bad Wolf in association with New Line Cinema for BBC One, but that he has been trying to make the dates align so that he can do both this as well as the live-action adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical Cats for Universal and Working Title.

Keen, meanwhile, is coming off the back of Logan with Hugh Jackman, where she played Laura, Wolverine’s daughter, otherwise known as X-23. She also starred in Spanish drama The Refugees, which is produced by BBC Worldwide and Atresmedia for La Sexta. Miranda’s star is also exceptionally high off the back of his hit stage musical Hamilton and Disney’s Moana. The multi-hyphenate acts in upcoming musical fantasy Mary Poppins Returns and is a producer on Lionsgate’s fantasy The Kingkiller Chronicle.

BBC One ordered the series, which is written by National Treasure and Wonder writer Jack Thorne, in 2015. Pullman’s work, which featured three books: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, is a complex tale of physics, philosophy and theology featuring witches and armored polar bears. It tells the story of the coming of age of two children, Lyra and Will, who wander through a series of parallel universes.

Bad Wolf and distributor BBC Worldwide have also been talking to a number of international broadcasters and streaming services about the project, which is thought to be one of the most expensive British dramas to date. I hear that Apple and Netflix are among the suitors for the U.S. and global rights.

Northern Lights introduces Lyra whose search for a kidnapped friend uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children and turns into a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust. In the second book, The Subtle Knife, she is joined on her journey by Will, a boy who possesses a knife that can cut windows between worlds. As Lyra learns the truth about her parents and her prophesied destiny, the two young people are caught up in a war against celestial powers that ranges across many worlds and leads to a thrilling conclusion in The Amber Spyglass.

Northern Lights was previously turned into a feature titled The Golden Compass in 2007 starring Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman. The series is set to start production in Wales soon and the producers are expected to announce casting in the coming weeks. It will be exec produced by Pullman, Tranter, Gardner, Toby Emmerich and Carolyn Blackwood for New Line; Piers Wenger and Chris Irving for BBC One and Deborah Forte for Scholastic.

Keen is represented by Independent Talent, Let’s Work Together and Rick Genow at Stone Genow, while Hooper is also represented by Independent Talent and ICM.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-king...on-1202319285/
Old 06-08-18, 05:24 AM

X-Men and Atomic Blonde star James McAvoy and The Wire’s Clarke Peters have signed up to star in the BBC’s adaptation of Philip Pullman’s fantasy epic His Dark Materials.

The pair will start work on the eight-part series, which is produced by Bad Wolf, later this month. McAvoy plays Lord Asriel, the ruthless adventurer who was played by Daniel Craig in 2007 feature The Golden Compass. Asriel is the father of main character Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe, who is played by Logan star Dafne Keen. Meanwhile Peters, who recently starred in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, plays the master who raises Lyra.

His Dark Materials, which will air on BBC One, is written by National Treasure and Wonder writer Jack Thorne. It is based on Pullman’s trilogy of books: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, a complex tale of physics, philosophy and theology featuring witches and armored polar bears. It tells the story of two children, Lyra and Will, who wander through a series of parallel universes.

Earlier this year, Deadline revealed that The King’s Speech director Tom Hooper is to direct the series, which will also star Lin-Manuel Miranda as adventurer Lee Scoresby. It will be exec produced by Pullman, Tranter, Gardner, Toby Emmerich and Carolyn Blackwood for New Line; Piers Wenger and Chris Irving for BBC One and Deborah Forte for Scholastic.

Bad Wolf and distributor BBC Worldwide have also been talking to a number of international broadcasters and streaming services about the project, which is thought to be one of the most expensive British dramas to date. Apple and Netflix are among the suitors for the U.S. and global rights. Endeavor Content co-reps North American rights with BBC Worldwide.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/james-m...ls-1202406102/
Old 06-08-18, 06:05 AM
Banned

I just read the article they said the BBC has already shown it’s capable of a top-notch fantasy adaptation.
Old 06-08-18, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alexkevin
I just read the article they said the BBC has already shown it’s capable of a top-notch fantasy adaptation.
Shown with what? I can't recall any "top-notch" fantasy adaption they've done. The Discworld movies? Did they even do those? They were terrible anyways.
Neverwhere? That was mediocre. Anything else?

Last edited by Eric F; 06-08-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I never understood why the movie got trashed, it was enjoyable and I don’t recall it denigrating anybody’s religion.
Old 06-08-18, 02:08 PM

Damn, this cast is turning out nice.

EXCLUSIVE: The Affair star Ruth Wilson is the latest A-list star to sign up to BBC drama His Dark Materials.

The actor is signing up to play Marisa Coulter, one of the main protagonists of the eight-part drama and the former lover of Lord Asriel, played by James McAvoy. The character is one of the main characters in the trilogy of novels written by Phillip Pullman, particularly The Amber Spyglass, the third novel, where the character is described as a beautiful 35-year old.

She is thought to be the mother of Lyra, played by Dafne Keen, who has a golden monkey demon.
Old 06-08-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I know he's ten years older, but I wouldn't mind if they brought back Sam Elliott.
Old 06-08-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
I really love these books, I read them a couple of times.

If you liked them you should try giving the BBC audiobook series a try. It's really quite good.
Can confirm. They're actually like an audio play instead of just a single narrator. Really looking forward to this series.
Old 06-08-18, 03:57 PM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Love the audiobooks, and love the cast and production design of the movie.

The director and the choices they made in telling the story however....

I realize you can only show so much in a 2 hour film but these books should have been done on the scale of The Lord of Rings films!

I really hated the way they decided to end Golden Compass too which was not where the book ended.

I don't remember the religious protests being that much of a factor when this film came out. But I don't understand why they would have protested either. I found the story to be thought-provoking and philosophical in ways that made me think MORE about my spirituality. It certainly doesn't make you feel 'anti-religious'. If anything I felt a deeper connection to my faith after reading the trilogy.

It makes you think about a lot of spiritual things in a good way.
Old 06-08-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I know he's ten years older, but I wouldn't mind if they brought back Sam Elliott.
Lin Manuel Miranda is playing that role.
Old 06-08-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Have they ever said if the 8 episodes confirmed so far are just gonna cover the first book or are they planning to do all the books within the 8 episodes?
Old 06-08-18, 10:52 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Shown with what? I can't recall any "top-notch" fantasy adaption they've done. The Discworld movies? Did they even do those? They were terrible anyways.
Neverwhere? That was mediocre. Anything else?
Could it be Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell maybe?
Old 06-09-18, 03:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Could it be Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell maybe?
I loved that book, I thought the series was a pretty faithful adaption of it. I suppose you could call it "top-notch" for what it was.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.