Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Old 09-23-17, 01:32 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Originally Posted by tanman
And there in lies the problem. By putting it behind a paywall they are preventing it from being a massive hit. What was the built in audience for a show about a few survivors during the zombie apocalypse? Pretty tiny yet The Walking Dead grew into the number one drama on TV. Star Trek won't be able to do that if it's limited to a streaming service that no one has. Bottom line they are taking advantage of Star Trek fans to further their streaming service at the cost of expanding the fan base and the franchise.
Paywall never stopped anyone before, it won't now.
Old 09-23-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Yeah basically most of these U.S. Star Trek viewers will be waiting anxiously for someone in the UK to pirate it for them.

Too bad Netflix killed the usage of VPN's because this is being released internationally on Netflix. At least that would have cut some of the potential piracy.

The Good Wife (CBS show) had a similar problem earlier this year. It's spinoff series, The Good Fight, was also released exclusively on CBS All-Access in the Spring. The fans of the show were livid and filled their Facebook and other social media pages with incessant angry remarks.

Provider exclusive shows are really getting a lot of negative blowback.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-23-17 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-23-17, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Paywall never stopped anyone before, it won't now.
You really think it will have the same viewership as it would if it were on broadcast TV?

And you're right in a way. People will just pirate it now.
Old 09-23-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have CBS All-Access. It’s being posted weekly.

For the record, this is not just a Star Trek streaming service as some seem to think it is. This isn’t the only show on the service. They carry all CBS dramas and comedies like Hawaii Five-O, Scorpion, NCIS, The Big Bang Theory and Survivor along with others. If you watch a lot of CBS, which I do, it’s worth it. I can understand those not wanting to invest in it if they don’t watch CBS dramas or comedies and already spend too much for entertainment.
How is it worth it if you have a DVR and can record all of that; not to mention, all that stuff is in VOD. So for most, it basically is a platform with only 2 pieces of unique content.

Now if you don't have cable/sat, then I suppose it could be worth it, but then again, if you have a TIVO/DVR you could record all that stuff OTA.

I pay for CBS twice over in carriage fees - through my DTV and also through lifeline FIOS cable. Absurd that they want me to fork over more money for this. And it's not even commercial-free, correct?

Screw them.
Old 09-23-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Let's all hope this is a spectacular failure so they have to move it to broadcast.
Old 09-23-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
How is it worth it if you have a DVR and can record all of that; not to mention, all that stuff is in VOD. So for most, it basically is a platform with only 2 pieces of unique content.

Now if you don't have cable/sat, then I suppose it could be worth it, but then again, if you have a TIVO/DVR you could record all that stuff OTA.

I pay for CBS twice over in carriage fees - through my DTV and also through lifeline FIOS cable. Absurd that they want me to fork over more money for this. And it's not even commercial-free, correct?

Screw them.
Because I travel a lot for work and watch/binge it on my iPad when I’m away from home. Sometimes I’ll have a DVR conflict or some DVR anomaly will cause a missed record. Having it there stay a whole season or longer to stream helps when VOD has expiration dates or has long download times.

Yes it’s commercial free at $9.99 per month. Yes I know for having only 2 original series and stuff airing on broadcast TV, that’s probably way too expensive for most.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-23-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-23-17, 09:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I'll watch the premiere because I'm a lifelong Trekkie and I'm curious, but once it moves over to CBS All Acess, I'm done watching (legally). As Red Dog said, I already pay for CBS on my cable bill, and I want to strongly discourage this type of a la carte streaming service bullshit.

Last edited by Bandoman; 09-23-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-23-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

$10 isn't expensive per se, but for the lack of unique content, it is IMO. I have no problem paying that for Netflix and Amazon, for example. They have a lot to offer. I don't pay for Hulu for the same reason (though I've 'borrowed' access to that for 11.22.63 and Handmaid's Tale).

It simply pisses me off because they're trying to advantage of a fanbase that they know is obsessed with this particular product. But that might come back to bite them since they're exactly the type who are savvy enough to know how to find it pirated online.

But I think the end game of this venture is to position themselves in the OTT market to try and land what will eventually be a streaming-only package of NFL games. I expect the NFL to award such a contract to some OTT service in the next NFL contract go-around in a few years.

Then, were CBS to win, they'll raise up the price to $15 or $20.
Old 09-23-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
As Red God said,
Ruh roh
Old 09-23-17, 09:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Ruh roh
I fixed it
Old 09-23-17, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanman
You really think it will have the same viewership as it would if it were on broadcast TV?

And you're right in a way. People will just pirate it now.
Hasn't stopped GoT from being one of the biggest shows of all time.
Old 09-23-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I'll watch the premiere because I'm a lifelong Trekkie and I'm curious, but once it moves over to CBS All Acess, I'm done watching (legally). As Red Dog said, I already pay for CBS on my cable bill, and I want to strongly discourage this type of a la carte streaming service bullshit.
Same here ... I pay for Netflix, Amazon (as much for prime as video, though I like some of their shows .. but doubt I would keep that one if not for the other benefits), and Hulu

That is enough .. there is nothing on CBS All Access beyond Star Trek that I have the slightest interest in.
Old 09-23-17, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BearFan
Same here ... I pay for Netflix, Amazon (as much for prime as video, though I like some of their shows .. but doubt I would keep that one if not for the other benefits), and Hulu

That is enough .. there is nothing on CBS All Access beyond Star Trek that I have the slightest interest in.
Nothing for me either. Because it's on CBS All Access and not on a channel like HBO it will prevent it from becoming a water cooler show like GoT, regardless of how good it is.
Old 09-23-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

If CBS were smart (and they're not) they would have released this on Netflix like they did...in well, every other part of the world. It could have been the next Stranger Things.

Oh, and this show isn't that groundbreaking in the world of Trek as the media is purporting:

First Long-Running Story Arcs in Star Trek: ST: DS9 and ST: ENT
First POC lead in Star Trek: ST: DS9
First Woman Lead in Star Trek: ST: VGR
First Prequel Storyline in Star Trek: ST: ENT
First Big-Ass Movie Budget for Star Trek: JJ-Trek
First bit of homosexuality on Star Trek: ST: DS9
Ramped-Up, hardcore darkness and war in Star Trek: ST: DS9

(You may notice most of the groundbreaking stuff was on DS9--there's a reason for that.)

Last edited by PatD; 09-23-17 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 08:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'll watch the first episode for free, then will find a way to continue watching ... for the same.
Old 09-24-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Hasn't stopped GoT from being one of the biggest shows of all time.
It's also the most pirated show of all time.

Plus it's a totally different situation. HBO has been a premium channel for decades and has a lot more content for it's monthly subscription fee. CBS is trying to launch a subscription service with 2 exclusive shows with the rest being available for free through an antenna or people are already paying a fee for it though their cable provider. And the execs don't care if it comes at the expense of the Star Trek franchise. They are totally abusing the loyalty of Star Trek fans.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/22/medi...iew/index.html

On a call with investors last month, CBS CEO Leslie Moonves called the series "the perfect vehicle to take All Access to the next level and beyond."

It's obvious they care more about their inane subscription service then they do about the show itself.

One thing they could do that would be a nice compromise would be to offer the season for sale on blu-ray/digital and include being able to see the season as it unfolds. That way they wouldn't be double and triple dipping on fans.
Old 09-25-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall I thought it was OK. But its sort of continuing in the vein of the recent Star Trek movies. In that it seems to be largely an action affair. One that blows stuff up as often as possible. Also, in 2 hours it felt like we only really got to know 1 character.

And this bugged me :

Spoiler:
She was raised by Vulcans. And was drilled in the minutiae of Vulcan history. She should have known how the Vulcans dealt with Klingons without having to ask Sarek.
Old 09-26-17, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Overall I thought it was OK. But its sort of continuing in the vein of the recent Star Trek movies. In that it seems to be largely an action affair. One that blows stuff up as often as possible. Also, in 2 hours it felt like we only really got to know 1 character.
Yep.

And this bugged me :

Spoiler:
She was raised by Vulcans. And was drilled in the minutiae of Vulcan history. She should have known how the Vulcans dealt with Klingons without having to ask Sarek.
That's because the script itself seems to have been an afterthought. The script/story serves the visuals, not the other way around.

And isn't it interesting that it is in dealing with the Vulcans that there is a huge failure in logic in the script! Good catch!
Old 04-09-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Anson Mount will be play Captain Pike.
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star...nt-1202743293/

Too bad he won't be playing the TOS era Pike. He has experience playing a guy that can't speak.
Old 04-09-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Wonder who they'll get to play Spock.

They have to have some scenes with Spock and Michael and Sarek.
Old 04-09-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

I suppose they could say Spock has been promoted/transferred off Enterprise, if S2 takes place between "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before". And I'm sure Pike and Burnham will wax poetically about our favorite Vulcan while he's offscreen.

That's probably for the best, anyhow.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone take on Number One in all her cold ****yness.
Old 04-09-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I wouldn't mind seeing someone take on Number One in all her cold ****yness.
Pauley Perrette?
Old 04-09-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Listen if you're gonna make up names I'm just gonna leave
Old 04-09-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-09-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't mind seeing Elisabeth Moss in the role, but her plate is full.

Maybe Natalia Tena or Tatiana Maslany...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.