Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bryan Singer and Fuller developing new Star Trek series?

Originally Posted by Numanoid
My fear is that the knucklehead powers that be will insist that the show be more accessible to the "youth" market...meaning dumber plots, more soap opera elements, and a much younger cast. Trek requires a seriousness and a maturity that I think would be undermined by any studio bean-counter today.
Keep it off the broadcast networks. I agree.
Old 02-06-12, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
My fear is that the knucklehead powers that be will insist that the show be more accessible to the "youth" market...meaning dumber plots, more soap opera elements, and a much younger cast. Trek requires a seriousness and a maturity that I think would be undermined by any studio bean-counter today.
+1...that's basically the ST:11 movie and why I have no interest in it.

Seth McFarlene expressed interest in doing a ST series and he's had all the TNG cast on Family Guy (as well as Patrick Stewart as a cast member on American Dad) so I can hope if he got a hold of Star Trek he might dust off Jonathan Frakes' TNG spin off with Riker as Captain.

Normally I'd hope for something as different and wonderful as DS9 but the franchise has been dicked around too much with that JJ farce of a movie and getting it back to steady ground would be nice.
Old 02-07-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Did you even see the JJ Abrams movie or are just basing your complaints on what you assume it was like? Sure it was not all dour and serious (though it had certain flourishes of that) but neither was the series 100% of the time. There were plenty of fun episodes throughout the original series mixed pretty evenly with the more serious episodes. They simply chose to make ST:11 a fun episode. Nothing says ST:12 can't be serious.
Old 02-07-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Did you even see the JJ Abrams movie or are just basing your complaints on what you assume it was like?
He's a JJ Abrams basher so he'll attack anything with his name attached. I know because an argument ensued in a thread about "Person of Interest", a show with Abrams' name attached to it but not actually involving him much. He admitted a very strong bias against Abrams regardless of what the show or film is, so keep that in mind with regards to the 2009 Trek movie.

And I'm not overstepping any bounds to say this, because it's entirely true. Not an attack, it's just stating the obvious.
Old 02-07-12, 09:33 AM

Did you even see the JJ Abrams movie or are just basing your complaints on what you assume it was like?
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
He's a JJ Abrams basher so he'll attack anything with his name attached.
Sigh...not this again. It's like some don't think I don't have the right not to be into the work of a director (or is it that I just don't have the right to not like JJ?)

ST:11 and the current incarnation of ST isn't for me despite sticking with the series even through Voyager and Enterprise. When/if they come back to something like the Riker as Captain spin-off Frakes was pushing before ST:11 came about ("or at least something which isn't "more accessible to the "youth" market...meaning dumber plots, more soap opera elements, and a much younger cast." to quote another member) I'll be happy to start paying to watch Star Trek again.
Old 02-07-12, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
He's a JJ Abrams basher so he'll attack anything with his name attached.
Oh and if that's true why have I never posted in the Fringe thread? Why do I only post in threads for shows I like and in the Person of Interest thread all I said was that it was odd I like POI so much despite not caring for other JJ works?

By your logic, if I write a negative review of something i don't like, I'm just a basher...that's funny since in thread for this weeks HIMYM thread everybody was writing poor reviews of that episode yet JJ had nothing to do with that.
Old 02-07-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see a serialized Trek show.

Or the Frakes as ship captain show. The series finale of Enterprise made me wish for that. I'm just insanely nostalgic about TNG for some reason watching it in my pre-teen/teen days.
Old 02-07-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

My question wasn't a jab against you, wz42. I genuinely wondered if the ad campaign had turned you away from the film. As I said, it has the general fun spirit of the original series with just enough of heart to feel right at home. I think they can successfully flip-flop between fun stories and serious stories with this new cast. They just chose an outing that veered more towards fun to be able to draw in as much of a crowd as possible.

That's no different than what happened with the original pilot. It was deemed too dour by the studio so a brand pilot was produced that was considered far more fast paced and entertaining. That decision didn't hurt the original series one bit.
Old 02-07-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a kid I caught a lot of the reruns of the original ST. Never liked the New Generation or spinoffs. I'd be down if they remade the original with new cast like the re-boot.
Old 02-07-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the first season I thought Enterprise got really good, especially the season the spent looking for the Xindi. I'd absolutely be down for a new series.
Old 02-07-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I personally think Star Trek should be on TV and not as movies, given that the best of Star Trek happened on the TV series, while almost all of the films have been huge disappointments (including the brain-dead JJ Abrams film).
Old 02-07-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shady12
I'd like to see a serialized Trek show.
Old 02-07-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

They need to do a series about that species the Borg.
Old 02-07-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Personally I'd be interested in a new Star Trek series that either focused on Starfleet Academy or with Captain Riker and a new crew. I liked the J.J. Abrams reboot but I think it should stick to being movies and not base a series around it. In my opinion though if a new series is made they should go the shorter season route and have around twelve or so episodes in a season rather than a full twenty plus episode season. That way they could cut a lot of the fluff episodes and keep a solid story going.
Old 02-07-12, 08:45 PM

My question wasn't a jab against you, wz42. I genuinely wondered if the ad campaign had turned you away from the film. As I said, it has the general fun spirit of the original series with just enough of heart to feel right at home. I think they can successfully flip-flop between fun stories and serious stories with this new cast. They just chose an outing that veered more towards fun to be able to draw in as much of a crowd as possible.

That's no different than what happened with the original pilot. It was deemed too dour by the studio so a brand pilot was produced that was considered far more fast paced and entertaining. That decision didn't hurt the original series one bit.
Oh I know and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was including you in with Nick. He was coming at me in another thread as well over JJ and my reply was directed at him.

It's not so much about a light v. heavy plot (although I will admit to enjoying the more profound aspects of Star Trek more than the space ride) - it's what I quoted earlier from another poster. It seems like JJ turned Trek into something that would have fit with one of the teen dramas on the CW.

Here's part of the highest rated review for ST:2011 over at Amazon which says the same thing:

Instead of being members of a logically coherent military organization, each with careers and internal lives of their own, all of our principal characters are roughly the same age and have the same amount of experience, despite the fact that by the end of the film, they all have different ranks and specialties. Especially galling at the end is the instantaneous promotion of Kirk from 25-year-old Starfleet cadet (not even a graduate, as he is in his third year of studies) directly to Captain of the fleet's newest and most advanced flagship. It would be akin to a fresh West Point graduate being given command of the invasion of Afghanistan, or an Annapolis cadet being given command of an aircraft carrier. Why would anyone who had invested a lifetime in this organization respect any order that escapes his lips? Equally puzzling are the promotions of all the other crew members at the end as well - why is Kirk a Captain, but McCoy a Commander, Uhura a Lieutenant, Chekov an Ensign? They all have the same amount of experience and "seasoning" (i.e. none).
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek/dp/B...8668331&sr=8-1
Tack on my disinterest in rehashing the past with characters which I feel belong to Shatner, Nimoy et al as well as my general distaste for anything from JJ Abbrams (POI excluded) and my preference for a Star Trek TV series as opposed to movies leaves me completely ignoring Star Trek until a good TV franchise comes along.

Normally my wet dream would be a re-boot of DS9 after Sisko comes back from the Prophets however all Star Trek series after TNG (Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise) seemed to have fractured bases of support from Star Trek fans.

Although there are some who liked TOS but not TNG and vise versa for the most part most of the fan base liked both and a spin-off of TNG with Riker as Captain would likely bring the fan base back together.

Ideally they'd, as part of that, bring back the old guard of the franchise which I couldn't see JJ doing. That's why I am hoping Seth McFarlene was serious that he'd be interested in doing a ST series (and would have the connections to do it) since he seems to have respect for the history of Star Trek and those involved with it making him more likely to bring people back in from TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise to work on it.
Old 02-07-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm all for more Trek.
Old 02-07-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe have a sexier Trek. And the ships need to be really big. Like, they should be blowing up planets every other episode. And grit. LOTS of grit. The Federation should be dissolved, and it should just be a bunch of ships blowing each other up because that's how they roll now.
Old 02-07-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shazam
Maybe have a sexier Trek. And the ships need to be really big. Like, they should be blowing up planets every other episode. And grit. LOTS of grit. The Federation should be dissolved, and it should just be a bunch of ships blowing each other up because that's how they roll now.
So Battlestar Galactica?
Old 02-07-12, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-08-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

It seems like JJ turned Trek into something that would have fit with one of the teen dramas on the CW.
That was my problem....it made no fucking sense.
Old 02-08-12, 09:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

JJ's reboot was fantastic.
Old 02-08-12, 10:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been into all thinks Trek since the late 60's (I was too young to get it when TOS originally aired, bu started watching it in syndication), and I loved the reboot.

I sure hope they don't start a new series just because they can. It needs to have a solid foundation and a good back story. That being said, I think there's a lot of room for expansion in the delta quadrant. They could add all kinds of new aliens without affecting the continuity of prior series.
Old 02-08-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I sure hope they don't start a new series just because they can. It needs to have a solid foundation and a good back story. That being said, I think there's a lot of room for expansion in the delta quadrant. They could add all kinds of new aliens without affecting the continuity of prior series.
I think the beginning of any new Trek series should have the captain waking bolt upright from a nightmare muttering "Voyager... what a dream. A person with such disregard for the Prime Directive would never be made a captain in Starfleet!"

And then he'd have sex or something, I dunno, I'm not a writer.
Old 02-08-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
So Battlestar Galactica?
Pfft, I'm not Ron Moore
Old 02-08-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

"Star Fleet Academy" is the way to do the show. You could get a multi-year setting out of it (however long it takes to graduate) and mix a college show, a military show and a space show together. I think there are a ton of potential stories, a lot of action possibilities (training, away missions, etc) and wouldn't have to blow the budget on space battles every week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.