Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-23-11, 10:44 PM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bryan Singer's never-pitched Star Trek series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I wasn't a fan of the reboot, so I'm glad they didn't.
Just because the movie was a reboot didn't mean the series would have to be.
Old 04-23-11, 10:49 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds interesting but I woulda nixed these two bullet points:

Quote:
The action would’ve kicked off when a new threat called “The Scourge” entered the picture, compelling the Federation to build a new USS Enterprise — the first in over 300 years.

One of the central characters would’ve been Commander Alexander Kirk, an aggressive officer with a “checkered past” who was the sole survivor of a run-in with The Scourge.
No need for another Enterprise and another Kirk. It makes it seem like setting it in the year 3000 was just a flimsy way of masking the fact that, for all the "real world influence" claims, it was just gonna be a rehash of the same old shtick.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 04-23-11, 11:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
your loss. JJ's relaunch was superb.
Point two: I refuse to watch anything from JJ "Dynomite" after he shafted the Lost fans by not tying together all the mystery.

He's all flash with no substance...should have just stuck to chick dramas starring Kerri Russell.
Old 04-24-11, 02:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz42 View Post
Reboots like the ST movie are lazy writing. Shatner is Kirk et al; the rest are just doing a Rich Little.

If they cannt come up with their own characters then I won't see it.

When Paramount starts green lighting ideas like this or the Frakes series I'll buy ST product again.
Actually, the Abrams Trek movie was incredibly smart, not lazy. It managed to be both a reboot and a legitimate sequel. It took the characters back to the beginning and created a situation where future stories could go anywhere and do anything without undoing or negating what had come before. It's doesn't get the credit it really deserves.

Quote:
Point two: I refuse to watch anything from JJ "Dynomite" after he shafted the Lost fans by not tying together all the mystery.
So reboots like the Star Trek movie are lazy writing, yet you haven't even seen it? THAT'S LAZY. What's your FAVORITE movie... something else you haven't seen?
Old 04-24-11, 09:36 AM   #55
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Point two: I refuse to watch anything from JJ "Dynomite" after he shafted the Lost fans by not tying together all the mystery. .
That's pretty interesting considering Abrams had little to do with the day to day running of Lost. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse were the showrunners and head writers. Blame them if you must.
Old 04-24-11, 11:36 AM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I know that. There were Trek movies released when TNG was on the air, and TNG and the movies were both successful. What's the issue, exactly?
Well, 5 bombed, so really 6 was the only TOS movie success while TNG was on the air. I can see why Paramount might not want a TV series and a movie out at the same time.

- Demetri Martin
Old 04-24-11, 03:39 PM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
That was an interesting read. While I enjoyed the movie, I think I would rather have this.
Old 04-24-11, 05:05 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like Mass Effect.
Old 04-26-11, 04:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStephenson View Post
So reboots like the Star Trek movie are lazy writing, yet you haven't even seen it? THAT'S LAZY. What's your FAVORITE movie... something else you haven't seen?
Hey I don't need to pay $5-$20 to watch something that doesn't meet my entertainment needs from some two bit hack who can't even be bothered to create his own characters.

Just like I don't need to watch Rob Schnider's "The Animal" or the new Kirk Camrom Christian movie to know it'll provide crap entertainment to me.

Until Paramount gets around to doing something new like this Singer idea or the Frakes project I'm not spending a dime on Trek discs, toys or posters relating to things like this reboot.
Old 04-26-11, 04:31 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Sounds like Mass Effect.
a mass effect series on HBO would be SOLID GOLD.
Old 04-26-11, 04:31 PM   #61
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
What's the issue, exactly?
The issue is that Paramount doesn't have a television network anymore and you're hard pressed to find network/cable outlet willing to spend the money on a new Trek series. Stargate has a hard enough time keeping viewership. And while compelling, BSG went down the same path.
Old 04-26-11, 04:51 PM   #62

^
Enterprise and Voyager did pretty bad on network TV tho while TNG and DS9 seemed to do pretty good in first run syndication.
Old 04-26-11, 05:15 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
The issue is that Paramount doesn't have a television network anymore and you're hard pressed to find network/cable outlet willing to spend the money on a new Trek series. Stargate has a hard enough time keeping viewership. And while compelling, BSG went down the same path.
BSG had both a writer's strike and that idiotic split season bullshit pulling it down.
Old 04-26-11, 07:31 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
a mass effect series on HBO would be SOLID GOLD.
It would certainly capture the scope of the game's setting far better than the movie that is apparently being made.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 04-29-11, 09:25 AM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Around the second season or so of 24, I remember Hollywood getting all giddy at the thought of other shows doing a similar theme. Shows like Star Trek or ER.

What if there was a Star Trek one-off show. 24-esque. It starts with a Federation ship being completely crippled in the middle of nowhere. All systems wiped out. Eventually they could limp along at impulse speed, but so many systems continue to fail. Were they attacked? Sabotaged?

That could have been fun.
Old 04-29-11, 10:31 AM   #66
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to see Star Trek: Titan since I heard about it years ago then saw Riker and Troi on the Enterprise series finale..That woulda been fun.
Old 04-29-11, 10:48 AM   #67
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
What if there was a Star Trek one-off show. 24-esque. It starts with a Federation ship being completely crippled in the middle of nowhere. All systems wiped out. Eventually they could limp along at impulse speed, but so many systems continue to fail. Were they attacked? Sabotaged?
Sarcasm? Battlestar: Galactica and Stargate: Universe would like a word with you.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 04-29-11, 11:30 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Sarcasm? Battlestar: Galactica and Stargate: Universe would like a word with you.
Well BSG wasn't really a "what is going on here?" type scenario. They always knew what was happening.

I've never seen anything Stargate.
Old 02-06-12, 03:42 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Bryan Singer and Fuller developing new Star Trek series?

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/02/...-Project.shtml

Quote:
By the way, Fuller tells AICN exclusively that the two Bryans, who have long (but separately) contemplated new “Star Trek” TV series, have discussed the possibility of pooling their resources to take a new corner of Gene Roddenberry’s multiverse to the small screen. Hopefully J.J. Abrams and Les Moonves will give them the keys to Starfleet HQ.
I know we have trek fans here, which direction would people like to see this potential project go? I think the exploring missions might be over done (TNG/ENT/Voyager), I would like to see something along the lines of DS9. And someone mentioned perhaps something along the lines of Deadwood (Remote outpost in a hostile world or something)

THoughts?
Old 02-06-12, 03:47 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Bryan Singer and Fuller developing new Star Trek series?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/551...k-tv-show.html

This was mentioned 3 years ago, but nothing further came from it.

Honestly, Keep Star Trek as a feature film series. Forget TV. No network is going to spend money to do a show like this nowadays. That little blurb by Fuller and Singer really doesn't mean squat. They would still have to pitch the idea to a network and convince them to shoot a Pilot.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-06-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 03:49 PM   #71
DVD Talk God

I don't know. I've always said they need to take a 10 year break from ST (I guess in terms of TV, they're getting pretty close to that). I was lukewarm on the reboot, so I hope they aren't using that universe.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-06-12, 04:45 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the the reboot but for a series on the fringe of either universe I don't think it would matter which one they used.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 02-06-12, 05:44 PM   #73
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Honestly, Keep Star Trek as a feature film series. Forget TV. No network is going to spend money to do a show like this nowadays. That little blurb by Fuller and Singer really doesn't mean squat. They would still have to pitch the idea to a network and convince them to shoot a Pilot.
if a small network like SyFy was willing to drop money into BSG (which always looked good F/X and set wise), I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for an even more popular franchise.
Old 02-06-12, 07:01 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

My fear is that the knucklehead powers that be will insist that the show be more accessible to the "youth" market...meaning dumber plots, more soap opera elements, and a much younger cast. Trek requires a seriousness and a maturity that I think would be undermined by any studio bean-counter today.
Old 02-06-12, 07:12 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

It is a little different since this would be a singer/fuller combo. If they move forward I hope it would be a short yearly run 12-13 episodes