Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Old 11-02-15, 11:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: STAR TREK Returns to TV (sort of) in 2017 (Alex Kurtzman, Exec. Producer)

The only reason this is being locked behind the CBS All Access paywall is because CBS knows Trekkies will put up with all sorts of shit. They wouldn't premiere the new CSI only on CBS All Access because they know no one would pay just for that.
Old 11-02-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

If you're a Big Brother fan that subscribes for the feeds, just watch Star Trek during those months. Or if you don't already subscribe for the feeds, just subscribe when Big Brother is on and you'll be able to catch some of the BB feeds in addition to watching Trek.
Old 11-02-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The only reason this is being locked behind the CBS All Access paywall is because CBS knows Trekkies will put up with all sorts of shit. They wouldn't premiere the new CSI only on CBS All Access because they know no one would pay just for that.
You really think the over-65 crowd can figure out how to watch CSI on a streaming service?
Old 11-02-15, 12:12 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been a Trekkie since the 70s and I eat up all Trek content, but I'm not paying for another streaming service.
Old 11-02-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Really? OUTLANDER is pretty darn good. HELIX was a mess, but I'm not sure how much RDM had to do with the second season of that series.
Never watched Outlander but it's based on a series of books, so if RDM is following the book plots then I could see how it would work out okay.

BSG started out well but it was a total mess by the end. Helix was just terrible from the start.

I think the guy's just run out of ideas.
Old 11-02-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I won't ever torrent, so i would wait until the entire run is posted, binge it, then bail.
Old 11-02-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm a few episodes into Hawaii Five-O and like it so far. I never watched the original series, so I don't know how well Kurtzman and Orci are holding on to the spirit of it, but the show is fun. Definitely not as much of a history as Star Trek, so I can only hope they do well enough with the new series.
Old 11-02-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

What do people want to see as a new Star Trek show? Personally I think I would like to see a little more serialized "Third Generation" show set 100 years or so after ST:TNG
Old 11-02-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
What do people want to see as a new Star Trek show? Personally I think I would like to see a little more serialized "Third Generation" show set 100 years or so after ST:TNG
This is what I would want. A new crew on a new Enterprise exploring an uncharted region of space.

I worry, however, that Kurtzman will come up with something crazy like a series from the Romulan or Klingon point of view, a series where the Federation is "evil", or some other 'dark-themed' scenario that has nothing to do with the spirit of STAR TREK.
Old 11-02-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

This is what I would want. A new crew on a new Enterprise exploring an uncharted region of space.

I worry, however, that Kurtzman will come up with something crazy like a series from the Romulan or Klingon point of view, a series where the Federation is "evil", or some other 'dark-themed' scenario that has nothing to do with the spirit of STAR TREK.
I would not be into that. I want to see Star Trek. Not with a dark twist, not gritty but a mostly optimistic view of the future that addresses some of the issues we face in our current times.

I think Dark Matter and Killjoys are good examples of how people are starting to miss the genre.

But if it is not dark we likely get something lame like a teenage Star Trek academy show.
Old 11-02-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Unless they only release 1 episode a week like Community.

This is the bad side of streaming, when so many companies start pimping out 1 show to get you to subscribe.
Yep. I expected things to become fragmented. This pretty much sucks. Though I guess one could theoretically subscribe for one month and just binge a whole season at once. Lame since I basically pay for CBS already through my DTV subscription.
Old 11-02-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The worst part of CBS All Access is that you're forced to watch commercials during the shows even though you pay for the service. Maybe it's worth just waiting for the Blu-rays.
Old 11-02-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurtzman and the undoubted connection to the Abrams-verse has me iffy...
Old 11-02-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. I expected things to become fragmented. This pretty much sucks. Though I guess one could theoretically subscribe for one month and just binge a whole season at once. Lame since I basically pay for CBS already through my DTV subscription.
Yup, you really can't have it both ways. People were complaining that programming/subscribing to TV is too expensive and they want only to pay for what they watch. Well, this could very well be the start of things to come. You might as well consider this watching Star Trek a la carte like what Amazon does for many shows. And just because CBS All Acess has it as an exclusive, it doesn't mean it will stay there forever. All programming has different licensing rights and aren't online indefinitely.

Subscribing to individual shows a la carte and also being pressured to subscribe to 6-8 different streaming services is not cheap.

What's to stop AMC, TNT, FX, NBC, FOX from creating individual premium streaming services with exclusive content in the years to come?
Old 11-02-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That's not good. Didn't know that. If it continues from that crappy universe, I'll have zero interest.
Old 11-02-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yup, you really can't have it both ways. People were complaining that programming/subscribing to TV is too expensive and they want only to pay for what they watch. Well, this could very well be the start of things to come. You might as well consider this watching Star Trek a la carte like what Amazon does for many shows.

Subscribing to individual shows a la carte and also being pressured to subscribe to 6-8 different streaming services is not cheap.

What's to stop AMC, TNT, FX, NBC, FOX from creating individual premium streaming services with exclusive content in the years to come?
Not to mention the same providers are simply going to jack up their internet rates or cap data (which Comcrap is apparently already doing in some markets). The providers are going to get your money one way or another. And eventually the content owners are going to crack down on account/password sharing.
Old 11-02-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

YES!!!!

But no way in hell will we get this.
Old 11-02-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

So Voyager but good?
Old 11-02-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

This is the future of branded streaming television. CBS/Paramount want to establish a major streaming service for their own content and this is how it gets accomplished.

I foresee lots of political fighting over data caps once all television transitions to this model.
Old 11-02-15, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Nooooooooooo!....I'm not paying for 720p/2.0 streaming crap loaded with commercials!!! FUCK YOU CBS/Paramount!!!! I'll probably just wait for the Blu-Ray. I'll end up buying it anyways.
Old 11-02-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not entirely sure that CBS could set this in the JJverse. Doesn't Paramount own that specific IP?

The rights situation is really confusing.
Old 11-02-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

All I saw is the TV show cannot use any of the names from the feature film. So no Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura etc. Probably not even a passing mention either.
Old 11-02-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
There are test shots out there that imply that the show will be in the Star Trek prime universe.
Old 11-02-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
That's not good. Didn't know that. If it continues from that crappy universe, I'll have zero interest.
I'm just assuming that from the Kurtzman connection.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is the future of branded streaming television. CBS/Paramount want to establish a major streaming service for their own content and this is how it gets accomplished.

I foresee lots of political fighting over data caps once all television transitions to this model.
It's pretty close as it is.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Nooooooooooo!....I'm not paying for 720p/2.0 streaming crap loaded with commercials!!! FUCK YOU CBS/Paramount!!!! I'll probably just wait for the Blu-Ray. I'll end up buying it anyways.
Yeah, to hell with paying for something and then getting commercials.

Originally Posted by Shazam
There are test shots out there that imply that the show will be in the Star Trek prime universe.
I stand corrected.
Old 11-02-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
I may be revealing I am no Trekkie with this statement, but what is the prime universe? Is that the one where Spock is evil?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.