Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Samaritan Snare" has some good Picard stuff, "A Matter of Honor" is a great character price, "Peak Performance" is a great action episode, "Where Silence Has Lease" and "Elementary Dear Data" are solid one-offs, "Pen Pals" is one of those classic moral dilemma stories, "The Emissary" is a great setup for the big Klingon arc. The show hasn't hit its stride yet, but you can see the characters developing properly and the show beginning to find its feet.
Old 04-10-15, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bryan Singer and Fuller developing new Star Trek series?

Star Trek Continues -- Best Star Trek Fan series I know of. They created the sets of TOS from the original blueprints and have some actual Hollywood people as cast and crew.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqB...xpLooYH0WkLpmw

www.startrekcontinues.com

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 04-10-15 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Star Trek Continues -- Best Star Trek Fan series I know of. They created the sets of TOS from the original blueprints and have some actual Hollywood people as cast and crew.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqB...xpLooYH0WkLpmw

www.startrekcontinues.com
Wow. That is pretty cool.
Old 04-10-15, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yup they're pretty amazing.
Old 04-10-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Renegades does look better than the shitfest that was Of Gods and Men.
Old 11-02-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
STAR TREK Returns to TV (sort of) in 2017 (Alex Kurtzman, Exec. Producer)

From StarTrek.com:

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.
Old 11-02-15, 10:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: STAR TREK Returns to TV (sort of) in 2017 (Alex Kurtzman, Exec. Producer)

Do we really need ANOTHER streaming subscription service? Too bad they didn't partner with Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon.
Old 11-02-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Do we really need ANOTHER streaming subscription service? Too bad they didn't partner with Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon.
What the fuck do they care? This is the best thing to happen to CBS. They immediately get every single Trekkie in America to subscribe to it.
Old 11-02-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The interesting thing is that it's not related to the new films.

Maybe we'll get another 100 year jump in the prime universe.

Yeah, not happy about it being on their streaming service. I'm sure I'll find another way to watch it. Might even splurge for it on iTunes (that's how we're currently watching Doctor Who and Rebels, and it's pretty nice to have it right there).
Old 11-02-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
They immediately get every single Trekkie in America to Torrent it.
Fixed for what will actually happen.
Old 11-02-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Fixed for what will actually happen.
Yeah, maybe.
Old 11-02-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest thing that scares me about this new series isn't the fact that they're going to stream it on the CBS app (let's face it, TNG broke ground by being one of the first big-budget first-run syndicated programs), it's that Alex Kurtzman is executive producing it - a man who has shown over the years that he doesn't have a clue what makes Star Trek 'work'. I would have rather seen the name Ronald D. Moore on this...but I'll reserve further judgment until I hear what Kurtzman's plans are. If I hear "Romulan War" or "Evil Federation", I may be out before this thing even airs.
Old 11-02-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in.
Old 11-02-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Exactly ... I'll subscribe to the thing for a month and binge it, then cancel. Repeat season 2, etc.
Old 11-02-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan
Exactly ... I'll subscribe to the thing for a month and binge it, then cancel. Repeat season 2, etc.
Unless they only release 1 episode a week like Community.

This is the bad side of streaming, when so many companies start pimping out 1 show to get you to subscribe.
Old 11-02-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

This is the bad side of streaming, when so many companies start pimping out 1 show to get you to subscribe.
I can wait until they are all up there.
Old 11-02-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

Yep and I think this what so many people who are big into streaming now days aren't getting. Its all been fine for the most part up until now but once more studios start producing original content available through their own streaming services at whatever cost suddenly you're going to end up paying just as much if not more than you were for cable. Sure you can cancel when you aren't using it but I wouldn't be surprised if more networks start staggering releases once they start producing content for streaming services to try and entice people to stick with it longer.

As for the new series I'm excited to see what it will be. I'm glad that its not a continuation of the Abrams films personally.
Old 11-02-15, 11:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

big Star Trek fan, but not interested in paying for new Star Trek on TV.
Old 11-02-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The biggest thing that scares me about this new series isn't the fact that they're going to stream it on the CBS app (let's face it, TNG broke ground by being one of the first big-budget first-run syndicated programs), it's that Alex Kurtzman is executive producing it - a man who has shown over the years that he doesn't have a clue what makes Star Trek 'work'. I would have rather seen the name Ronald D. Moore on this...but I'll reserve further judgment until I hear what Kurtzman's plans are. If I hear "Romulan War" or "Evil Federation", I may be out before this thing even airs.
These days RDM is just as bad, if not worse. I don't want him anywhere near Trek.
Old 11-02-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam
These days RDM is just as bad, if not worse. I don't want him anywhere near Trek.
Really? OUTLANDER is pretty darn good. HELIX was a mess, but I'm not sure how much RDM had to do with the second season of that series.
Old 11-02-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooray! New Star Trek!

Wait, you mean I have to pay for it?

Boo! Everything sucks!
Old 11-02-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

New ST and in the prime universe. Sounds better than nothing. Let's hope it turns out well.
Old 11-02-15, 11:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am shocked that Paramount/CBS is ripping off Trek fans! They've always been so reasonable with Trek releases in the past, after all.
Old 11-02-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The CBS streaming service costs $6 per month. At most you'd need it, what, a month and a half? It's not like they're going to do a full 22 episode season.
Old 11-02-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

HAHAHAH Kurtzman HAHAHAHA. This won't be worth $6 a month. I am out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.