TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (S3E05) -- "4,722 Hours" -- 10/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (S3E05) -- "4,722 Hours" -- 10/27/15

Originally Posted by Jason
I wonder how non-comic-reading viewers will handle the concept of a living planet?
Old 11-01-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Why would she have an implant? To cover the sex she wasn't having with Fitz? She might claim to love Fitz but words are cheap. Her revealed preference is for an action hero.
Old 11-01-15, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the situation, I'm sure they would have been extremely careful not to put a baby in the oven.

Also given the situation, I have no doubt most of you complaining about Jemma banging the astronaut would have banged the astronaut yourselves.
Old 11-02-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Presumably there was no birth control in play unless Will had a pack of fourteen year old condoms, which I wouldn't trust. Probably best to limit yourself to hand-stuff, mouth stuff, or backdoor stuff if you're living in a cave on an alien planet with little hope of rescue.
Charming .

Originally Posted by TGM
my theory is that Simmons' entire experience on the planet was some sort of hallucination and that when they finally find footage of it, they see Simmons fucking herself with an oblong moon rock for the past 50 days.
Thank you, M. Night Shaymalam.

[QUOTE="DWilson;12633680"] Keep in mind, this is a very Female Fantasy (that's turned off a lot of Men)[/quote{

What're you, a feminist or something ?

so the "mechanics" of the sexual relationship are not a big consideration. The actress has said that Simmons is equally in love with Will and Fitz and Fitz is proving his love by helping her save the Will without question. She feels bad for "Simmons" because she has to choose between two men she loves.
Yeah, and that sucks. I told a friend of mine that I had feelings for her once. She told me she didn't feel the same way. It's the way life is sometimes. I think Simmons was perfectly understandable. She was a God-forsaken alien planet, her only hope of rescue was gone. It's hard to go without physical contact, much less intimacy, to say nothing of isolation. Biological needs aside, she seemed to genuinely have feelings for him and for all she knew, it might be the only human she ever saw again for her short remaining life. It's hardly difficult to understand. Contrived, maybe, but it's not like it's hugely illogical.

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
So a living planet is believable but a female scientist figuring out how to have sex without getting pregnant isn't?
If she was even considering it. Let's face it, they probably had other things on their mind.

Originally Posted by randian
Why would she have an implant? To cover the sex she wasn't having with Fitz? She might claim to love Fitz but words are cheap. Her revealed preference is for an action hero.
It's not like she was a virgin or something, she could be prepared. I've never had sex, but I understand and have information about various kinds of birth control. I live in reality. There's no reason she couldn't have had some contingency. She's a scientist, for God's sake. It's also not like her feelings for Fitz went anywhere. She just thought she would never see him again and developed feelings for someone else who was there. Who was the only one there.

Originally Posted by SteelWill
Given the situation, I'm sure they would have been extremely careful not to put a baby in the oven.
I...guess. It didn't look like they were thinking it through the first time, but who knows? A pregnancy plot would be raged tawdry unless they make it an alien baby, which would be stupid, so hopefully they'll just sidestep that.

Also given the situation, I have no doubt most of you complaining about Jemma banging the astronaut would have banged the astronaut yourselves.
I repeat: it was a toto ally logical thing to do, and they even gave the guy a personality and the characters a relationship to make sure it didn't just feel random.
Old 11-02-15, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When did she have sex with that dude? I never got that impression and must have missed a scene.
Old 11-02-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Keep in mind, this is a very Female Fantasy (that's turned off a lot of Men), so the "mechanics" of the sexual relationship are not a big consideration. The actress has said that Simmons is equally in love with Will and Fitz and Fitz is proving his love by helping her save the Will without question. She feels bad for "Simmons" because she has to choose between two men she loves.
Yes women do love the 2 men 1 woman love triangle. Look at YA fiction. They ALL have that.
Old 11-02-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Charming .

It's not like she was a virgin or something, .
Maybe I am wrong but I seem to remember something in one of the episodes that suggested she is a virgin. Or was
Old 11-02-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
When did she have sex with that dude? I never got that impression and must have missed a scene.
Their cots are shown pushed together at the end of the episode. They were boning.
Old 11-02-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
When the bottle got smashed and didn't go through the portal, she cried because she understandable thought that he chances of getting home were now nonexistent. When he reached over to comfort her, they started to play a little tonsil hockey. I'm not tremendously experienced in these matters, but I think that was meant to imply that they were going to do some things which are supposed follow that .

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Yes women do love the 2 men 1 woman love triangle. Look at YA fiction. They ALL have that.
Never thought about that, but yeah.

Maybe I am wrong but I seem to remember something in one of the episodes that suggested she is a virgin.
Maybe I just assume I'm the last virgin in the world . I don't remember any episode implying that previously, but maybe I wasn't paying any attention. She went to college, after all .

Or was
What ?
Old 11-02-15, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Their cots are shown pushed together at the end of the episode. They were boning.
They each had a foot on the floor. They couldn't have...
Old 11-02-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

This thread has definitely gone in an unpredictable direction since I last read it. The forum software had glitched for me specifically on this thread, so I hadn't been able to read the responses as page two would mysteriously return me to page one.

I understand Simmons' experience was a romantic female fantasy, meeting a rugged astronaut and basically falling for him on a deserted planet. I wouldn't have cared if Mutant Enemy had decided to go in that direction long ago, but they've been planting signals and cues for Fitz/Simmons eventually getting together. It means I can't trust this writing/producing team, which is when I walk from a show.

In entertainment often written by and/or aimed at women, a recurring trope is two characters that should be together but are kept separated by the winds of fate until the very end of the story. It's barely tolerable in novel form but I find it even more detestable in long-form television.
Old 11-02-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This thread has definitely gone in an unpredictable direction since I last read it. The forum software had glitched for me specifically on this thread, so I hadn't been able to read the responses as page two would mysteriously return me to page one.

I understand Simmons' experience was a romantic female fantasy, meeting a rugged astronaut and basically falling for him on a deserted planet. I wouldn't have cared if Mutant Enemy had decided to go in that direction long ago, but they've been planting signals and cues for Fitz/Simmons eventually getting together. It means I can't trust this writing/producing team, which is when I walk from a show.

In entertainment often written by and/or aimed at women, a recurring trope is two characters that should be together but are kept separated by the winds of fate until the very end of the story. It's barely tolerable in novel form but I find it even more detestable in long-form television.
Hey, Gone With the Wind is the most popular movie ever made, so they may be on to something.
Old 11-03-15, 02:20 AM

You and me both, but they had Fitz & Simmons set up for this from the beginning. There wasn't even a deserted planet & hunky astronaut keeping them apart after Fitz blew the container open on the sea floor to save them. In fact I can't think of the reason they weren't together after that except that Jemma was just kind of a bitch.
Old 11-03-15, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
You and me both, but they had Fitz & Simmons set up for this from the beginning. There wasn't even a deserted planet & hunky astronaut keeping them apart after Fitz blew the container open on the sea floor to save them. In fact I can't think of the reason they weren't together after that except that Jemma was just kind of a bitch.
He was sort of messed up, mildly brain-damaged, from the oxygen deprivation, so not starting a relationship is understandable.
Old 11-03-15, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

All you guys are talking like this is the Alien edit of the 1974 Italian movie Swept Away. What is wrong with you?
Old 11-03-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
All you guys are talking like this is the Alien edit of the 1974 Italian movie Swept Away. What is wrong with you?
This is more like the remake of Swept Away with Madonna.
Old 11-03-15, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Don't know if it would be a good idea to do the deed under those circumstances. Would they really want to have a baby under those circumstances? Presumably there was no birth control in play unless Will had a pack of fourteen year old condoms, which I wouldn't trust.

Probably best to limit yourself to hand-stuff, mouth stuff, or backdoor stuff if you're living in a cave on an alien planet with little hope of rescue.
So simply pulling out is not an option? Also u can get preggers with backdoor stuff too.
Old 11-03-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is more like the remake of Swept Away with Madonna.
I thought we all agreed to never, ever, ever, ever talk about that movie?
Old 11-03-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
Also u can get preggers with backdoor stuff too.
Canada
Old 11-04-15, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
Keep in mind, this is a very Female Fantasy (that's turned off a lot of Men), so the "mechanics" of the sexual relationship are not a big consideration. The actress has said that Simmons is equally in love with Will and Fitz and Fitz is proving his love by helping her save the Will without question. She feels bad for "Simmons" because she has to choose between two men she loves.
I think she Loves Fitz but isnt "In Love" with him. I may be wrong but thats the vibe I get. Plus I like Fitz being constantly frustrated and friend-zoned. If he finally got the girl it would kind of ruin their dynamic.
Old 11-04-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Maybe I am wrong but I seem to remember something in one of the episodes that suggested she is a virgin. Or was
Maybe she was just a "Technical Virgin"...
Old 11-04-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, "technical virgins," we wacky Catholics :wink:...

They've never really delved into the sex lives on the show of anyone except Daisy & her old boyfriend and Agent Tight T-Shirt & Hunter's combustible chemistry. I guess it's possible Simmons is a "good girl," but it's hard for me to believe that as a scientist and an atheist, she wouldn't at least be a little curious ...
Old 11-05-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
They've never really delved into the sex lives on the show of anyone except Daisy & her old boyfriend and Agent Tight T-Shirt & Hunter's combustible chemistry. I guess it's possible Simmons is a "good girl," but it's hard for me to believe that as a scientist and an atheist, she wouldn't at least be a little curious ...
Also, Ward and May were fucking in season 1.
Old 11-05-15, 07:30 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I love all the speculation over whether/how Simmons and Astroboy had sex.
Old 11-05-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Also, Ward and May were fucking in season 1.
Oh yeah, that's right. They did play with that a little bit before Ward's evilness was revealed.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I love all the speculation over whether/how Simmons and Astroboy had sex.
I thought it was obvious. Unless they kissed and then stopped after that like high school freshman or something .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.