Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Quarry (Cinemax) -- from the EP of Banshee -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/9/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Quarry (Cinemax) -- from the EP of Banshee -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/9/16

I really liked the last episode and if that is it for the show it ended on a strong note.
Old 11-01-16, 10:40 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm 2 and a half episodes in

I am liking the premise but finding it way too goddam slow.

I am not expecting Banshee or strike back pace, but does it pick it at all ?

Overall does the show get better ?

I want to like it because of the void left by Banshee and strike back but i am not sure this is the right fix
Old 11-04-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not really an action show. If your looking for something in the vein of Banshee or Strike back this isn't that. While I wouldn't call it a slow burn it does have a deliberate pace. Its more about Quarry's inability to adjust to normal life. Its a good show though.

I enjoyed the season as a whole.
Spoiler:
So the broker is just a drug dealer after all. In the end Quarry seemed to come to the realization that he is not a normal person and he shouldn't try to lead a normal life.
Old 11-14-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally finished the last episode as I kinda forgot about it. While I will miss some things like Jodi Balfour being naked or in her skivvies a lot (not to mention the other hot chicks) overall the show was just too slow moving and kinda pointless in the end. I definitely enjoyed parts of the show but was way too drawn out and needed better editing or tightening up of the story. Seemed like 5 episodes of actual story extended out to make 8 episodes to me. Wont miss it if it doesn't come back.
Old 11-20-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I didn't find the show slow at all. One of the year's best IMO. It told a complete story and looked visually stunning all the way through. And the one-shot battle scene in the finale rivals the one in True Detective.
Old 11-20-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad to hear it finished strong. It fell off my radar as all my usual shows started up so I'm looking forward to watching it over the holiday break.
Old 12-01-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just binged this and it was great. Jodi is smoking hot and so is that other girl that played the sister of the dude Mac killed in the garage. Kaley Ronayne is her real name - oomph.
Old 12-14-16, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

For those who missed this or don't have access to Cinemax. Coming to BD in February. Warning though. This is not the next Banshee or Strike Back. It's a slow and moody 70's period crime thriller.

QUARRY:
THE COMPLETE
FIRST SEASON

Available February 14, 2017
on Blu-ray & DVD

New York, N.Y., December 12, 2016 - Season 1 of the "wildly entertaining" (TV Guide) Cinemax series Quarry, loosely based on the novels of Max Allan Collins set in and around Memphis, is set to make its home entertainment debut on February 14, 2017. Starring Logan Marshall-Green as Mac Conway, this "impressively flawless" (Washington Post) series follows two soldiers' return home from a second tour of duty in Vietnam. Quarry: The Complete First Season will be available to own on Blu-ray ($34.98) and DVD ($24.98), packed with bonus content including more than two dozen deleted scenes and new footage of interviews where Mac and his comrades testify to the events that led up to their discharge from the Marines. DVD and Blu-ray will also include a Digital Download copy.

Set in and around Memphis during the early 1970s, Quarry is a thrilling action drama that centers on the character of Mac Conway, a Marine who returns home from a second tour of duty in Vietnam. With his relationship with his wife Joni growing tenuous, Mac finds himself tempted by a lucrative offer from The Broker, a shady criminal involved in a network of killing and corruption that spans the length of the Mississippi River. After a series of events, Mac - whom The Broker codenames "Quarry" - finds himself conscripted against his better judgment into The Broker's crew, a turn of events that has dire consequences for both himself and Joni. Gripping and "startlingly good" (Yahoo! TV), with action packed storytelling, the first season of Quarry promises to not disappoint.

Bonus Features include:
Deleted Scenes - A fascinating selection of more than two dozen deleted scenes from Season 1.
"Inside Quarry" - Get an inside look at each episode of Quarry with the cast and crew of the acclaimed series.
"Quan Thang Inquiry Scenes" - Check out declassified interview footage in which Mac (Logan Marshall-Green) and other soldiers testify to the events of the Quan Thang tragedy.
"About Quarry" - Delve inside the setting, characters and storylines of Quarry with the cast and crew.
"Music of Memphis" - Join the cast and crew for an inside look at the classic R&B soundtrack and live music seen in the show.
"Recreating 1972" - The cast and crew of Quarry reveal how they turned back the clock to recreate the sets and styles of Memphis in 1972.
"Love Letters" - Hear the recorded correspondence between Mac and Joni while he served in Vietnam.
"Car Chase Picture in Picture" - Join Quarry star Logan Marshall-Green for this action-packed look at the staging of a rough-and-tumble car chase from the series.
Music Videos - Watch a collection of music videos featuring some of the blistering tracks from the series'.
Old 05-31-17, 12:41 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Canceled: http://deadline.com/2017/05/quarry-c...on-1202104986/
Old 05-31-17, 01:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Not surprised. Glad it's at least official and they're not stringing us along more than they already have.
Old 05-31-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I really wish I could've liked this show. I've been a reader of the novels for years, but I just didn't feel like the show had the same enjoyment factor for me - felt like too much of it was changed or off. I know a lot of people really enjoyed this though so I figured it was a shoo-in for another season.

Can we get a proper Parker series? Now that's one I really want to see done well although I'm sure I'l still be holding my breath when that comes to pass
Old 05-31-17, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a show i was really hyped for..... not going to miss this at all
Old 05-31-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Boooo! I really liked the first season. I wish they would have canceled Outcast instead.
Old 05-31-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Boooo! I really liked the first season. I wish they would have canceled Outcast instead.
Based on the above article, it kind of sounds like they cancelled both. Because of a DVR issue, I lost my saved episodes of "The Knick" Season Two and "Quarry". I can get them, of course, "On Demand", but I'm wondering if I should bother.

I guess Cinemax is going back to the type of series they were running before, -I know they're reviving "Strike Back". I'm all for that.
Old 06-01-17, 08:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
I really wish I could've liked this show. I've been a reader of the novels for years, but I just didn't feel like the show had the same enjoyment factor for me - felt like too much of it was changed or off. I know a lot of people really enjoyed this though so I figured it was a shoo-in for another season.

Can we get a proper Parker series? Now that's one I really want to see done well although I'm sure I'l still be holding my breath when that comes to pass
Yeah, the show was a departure from the books. More serious in tone (PTSD, Vietnam, Quarry himself, etc.). It's a little more painful knowing 6 episodes for season 2 were already written - although in many respects, season 1 can be viewed as a self-contained story. The finale tied off some loose ends and provided some closure for Mac.

As for Parker, yeah that would be great. As you probably know, they made a few movies that weren't terribly successful (Parker, Payback, Slayground) but a series that would follow his heists/exploits would be welcomed.
Old 06-01-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad it wont get a second season. Yeah it had its flaws but it also had pretty intriguing characters and an interesting world for them to play in.

Originally Posted by DWilson
Based on the above article, it kind of sounds like they cancelled both. Because of a DVR issue, I lost my saved episodes of "The Knick" Season Two and "Quarry". I can get them, of course, "On Demand", but I'm wondering if I should bother.

I guess Cinemax is going back to the type of series they were running before, -I know they're reviving "Strike Back". I'm all for that.
Outcast season 2 is premiered in April in the UK. Cinemax hasn't set a premiere date for the US. But the 2nd season is already in the can.
Old 06-01-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't have Cinemax so I forgot about this show, but I'll watch it on home media. I was hoping for another Banshee, but maybe I'll like it anyway. Not familiar with the books, which may or may not help.
Old 06-01-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Too bad it wont get a second season. Yeah it had its flaws but it also had pretty intriguing characters and an interesting world for them to play in.

Outcast season 2 is premiered in April in the UK. Cinemax hasn't set a premiere date for the US. But the 2nd season is already in the can.
From the article it sounds like we may not see it, -not on Cinemax, anyway. Then again, maybe they'll do a "12 Monkeys" and just burn it off.
Old 06-01-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Just finished watching this, thought it was very good. Bummer we aren't getting another season.
Old 06-01-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

That sucks. Netflix should pick it up. At least for one more season to add some closure.
Old 06-01-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not heartbroken over the cancellation. But I would've watched a second season if they made it. I think this one really hurt itself by associating itself with Banshee....and then having snail paced episodes the first half of the season.
Old 06-13-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just watched the season and liked it. It definitely wasn't Banshee, but it did have some good action and the hot naked wife, and I liked the period setting. I think bingeing helps with the slowness because you're not sitting for a week thinking about what didn't happen. I would've been in for a second season, but I'm not heartbroken over the cancellation either.