Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kGGNNSmGDpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Damn this looks amazing. Great to show a huge picture of Richard (RIP) and that is going to be so rough to watch. Interesting to see who is up to what so far (relationship wise and Rory is once again lost with nothing). So glad Melissa got to be apart of the show as well.
Old 10-25-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
Re: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/

Originally Posted by slop101
Oops, I meant Rory looks old.
Lorelai looks pretty much the same, if a little puffy.
Alexis Bledel is 35 now and has a kid with Pete Campbell from Mad Men. She's no spring chicken any more.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Wow, 50 never looked so amazing. And it's 4 shows with a total of an hour and a half each, if I'm not mistaken. How will you savor this?
I will probably just watch 2 a week or one a week. I hate when I aggressively watch a ton of episodes and then feel sad that there's not any more left to watch.
Old 11-24-16, 10:59 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Just giving this a bump since it premieres tomorrow!
Old 11-25-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviews?
Old 11-25-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've really been looking forward to this. Watched "Winter" and really liked it. It was great to see the cast back together and they all look great. I think Miss Patty looked the most different.
Originally Posted by Lara Means
Reviews?
Here's one:
http://www.avclub.com/article/gilmor...r-welco-246346
Old 11-25-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I finished the series and I agree with Sepinwall.

Non-Spoiler Review
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/gilmore-...e-life-review/

Spoiler Review
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/gilmore-...ilers-netflix/

My perspective maybe different since I didn't watch when it originally aired, I just finished watching the series last week. However, like in the original series I thought Paris hit it out of the park whenever she was on. I enjoyed what they did with the Emily storyline and to a certain extent with Lorelai, felt totally meh on Rory's arc.

There were some parts of the revival that I hated and felt it would have never made the show when it was on a network, like Alan said it was long and bloated. But with Netflix, I felt like ASP had free reign to do anything she wants, so she got to do those scenes, I would probably fast forward through them on a rewatch.

While this will probably be an unpopular opinion, I think I liked the Season 7 ending over ASP's ending. But like I said a viewer that watched it 9 years ago will probably have a different perspective with the nostalgia of watching these characters again.

Last edited by outcastja; 11-25-16 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 09:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I watched "Winter" and liked it. The Paris scenes were a the best parts.
Old 11-26-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

They wasted a lot of time on that bullshit Stars Hollow Musical and on that douchebag Logan and his douchebag friends. It could have easily been just two episodes or a movie.
Old 11-26-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
They wasted a lot of time on that bullshit Stars Hollow Musical and on that douchebag Logan and his douchebag friends. It could have easily been just two episodes or a movie.
I have no idea what the Palladinos think is entertaining about watching a bunch of rich assholes run around, behaving obnoxiously, and literally throwing their money away.

I thought the Stars Hollow Musical montage went on too long and ran the joke into the ground. At least that started out as a joke. The Douchebag montage just made me want to reach into the TV ans strangle the characters (Rory included).
Old 11-27-16, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Every character in this show is one kind of selfish asshole or another - I thought everyone understood that. And I never found Paris remotely attractive in the old show, but she's kinda doing it for me now.
Old 11-27-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Every character in this show is one kind of selfish asshole or another - I thought everyone understood that. And I never found Paris remotely attractive in the old show, but she's kinda doing it for me now.
Selfish asshole is one thing... utter douchebaggery is something else.
Old 11-28-16, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja

Non-Spoiler Review

Spoiler Review

My perspective maybe different since I didn't watch when it originally aired, I just finished watching the series last week. However, like in the original series I thought Paris hit it out of the park whenever she was on. I enjoyed what they did with the Emily storyline and to a certain extent with Lorelai, felt totally meh on Rory's arc.

There were some parts of the revival that I hated and felt it would have never made the show when it was on a network, like Alan said it was long and bloated. But with Netflix, I felt like ASP had free reign to do anything she wants, so she got to do those scenes, I would probably fast forward through them on a rewatch.

While this will probably be an unpopular opinion, I think I liked the Season 7 ending over ASP's ending. But like I said a viewer that watched it 9 years ago will probably have a different perspective with the nostalgia of watching these characters again.
from the non-spoiler review:

it’s the first reunion project in a long time to not make me regret the existence of it.
Good enough for me.
Old 11-28-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I enjoyed it enough.
Old 11-28-16, 04:47 PM

I liked them, but I think the format hurt it a little. They were covering so much time in each episode that they stayed with scenes way too long. Things like the musical and The Life & Death Brigade would have been a little shorter, but more importantly they would've been broken up with stuff going on in other stories.
Old 11-28-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
They wasted a lot of time on that bullshit Stars Hollow Musical and on that douchebag Logan and his douchebag friends.
I watched all four episodes over the weekend and felt really that only these two scenes were missteps. Everything else worked, felt very much like the series. But those two VEEEEEERRRRRRRY long sequences were ridiculous. Edit them down to about 2-minutes each and we're good to go.
Old 11-29-16, 09:30 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I watched all four episodes over the weekend and felt really that only these two scenes were missteps. Everything else worked, felt very much like the series. But those two VEEEEEERRRRRRRY long sequences were ridiculous. Edit them down to about 2-minutes each and we're good to go.
Yeah, basically the stuff I hated in the original series is the stuff I hated in the reunion.

Overall I enjoyed it, and felt they did a superb job of covering a lot of bases and revisiting side characters in a way that felt relatively organic and true to the spirit of the original series.

I had no idea while watching this, but just read that Berta and Gypsy are the same actress. I would have never guessed that was the same person!
Old 11-29-16, 12:26 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations.

The whole series, Lorelai sacrificed for Rory. Above all she sacrificed her pride and took money from her parents for Chilton, for Yale, and it was because "Rory was different," she was smarter, she was destined to do all the things Loreali didn't want. So it was originally supposed to end with an unwanted pregnancy at 23? Now at 32, Rory has done nothing, a big loser who has to move back home, can't get past her college boyfriend to the point where she's sleeping with him while he's engaged, gets an idea for a book from someone else, highjacks her moms life for the book, and then is pregnant?

Lorelai and Luke... they really didn't talk about kids for 9 years?

It seems more like ASP was more focused on trying to tell the ending she wanted to 10 years ago, instead of actually writing a story that services the current time.

The Life and Death Brigade bit was terrible.
Old 11-29-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Their scene should've ended with them dying in a fiery car crash, due to them drunk driving.
Old 11-29-16, 04:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It always felt off to me that this show romanticized their spoiled rich kid antics, considering how they more or less lampooned the elder version of such extravagances with Emily and Richard.
Old 11-30-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I feel asleep during the Life and Death Brigade part.
I think the wookie is the father
Old 11-30-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations.

The whole series, Lorelai sacrificed for Rory. Above all she sacrificed her pride and took money from her parents for Chilton, for Yale, and it was because "Rory was different," she was smarter, she was destined to do all the things Loreali didn't want. So it was originally supposed to end with an unwanted pregnancy at 23? Now at 32, Rory has done nothing, a big loser who has to move back home, can't get past her college boyfriend to the point where she's sleeping with him while he's engaged, gets an idea for a book from someone else, highjacks her moms life for the book, and then is pregnant?

Lorelai and Luke... they really didn't talk about kids for 9 years?

It seems more like ASP was more focused on trying to tell the ending she wanted to 10 years ago, instead of actually writing a story that services the current time.

agree on all these points. this wasn't a revival but a retelling of how ASP wanted s7 to be.
Old 11-30-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by outcastja

Non-Spoiler Review

Spoiler Review

I watched the show when it was on (to the bitter end) and I share your opinion. s7 ending way better than this one. s7 was hopeful and showed growth and closure. This was just... well crap. homeless, jobless, careless Rory knocked up by ex-boyfriend rich spineless douche who is engaged to someone else. Yeah, that's a great way to start off with a child.
Old 11-30-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the bright, light, fun and shiny surface of this show fools many fans of the show into not seeing the characters for the horrible, selfish near-sociopaths they really are. If you look at their behavior throughout the show, sleeping with an engaged ex-boyfriend while casually dating someone else, is exactly what an asshole like Rory would do. The way she was fawned over while growing up, being a selfish bitch* is all she's ever known, and she's actually acting very appropriately for someone with that life and upbringing.

*[I initially miss-typed that as "shellfish bitch", which made me laugh]
Old 12-02-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I just finished this tonight and I'm a bit mixed on it all. I liked Summer and Fall the best, but I hate, hate, hate Logan and him being in all four episodes really brought this down a notch for me. So I'm guessing Rory is going to raise her and Logan's child and maybe she's going to get back together with Jess? They sure made it look that way in the last episode.
Old 12-06-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I watched all four episodes over the weekend. Like most, my reaction was a little mixed, but I'm happy overall with what we got.

Looking back, I realize many of these characters were borderline jerks, but it seemed even more heightened at times. The remarks about the fat guy in the pool seemed off. The repeated reactions regarding Rory's new boyfriend seemed particularly nasty, especially considering Rory was cheating on him the whole time with Logan, whom she knows is engaged.

To be honest, I guess most of my problems with the revival were related to Rory and her story. I recently listened to a segment on NPR that had a journalist discussing Gilmore Girls. She said watching the show when she was younger that she looked up to Rory because of her intelligence, drive and professionalism, but she was totally appalled at Rory as a professional journalist. She said it was sad to see how bad of a journalist she was. She called out a couple of moments, but the most egregious was when Rory fell asleep during an interview. That's wrong on so many levels as a journalist. I've worked as a reporter, and it was pretty appalling to see.

I agree that the two scenes that worked the least were probably the life and death brigade and the play. I was amused by the play at first. Waiting for Guffman is a favorite after all, but it went way too long. It was one of those scenes that only made it into the episode since there was so much time to fill.

I wish we could have had a little more Sookie. I always really enjoyed her character, but I did enjoy what we got.

I'm mixed on Emily's story. While I understood her grief and loneliness, it seemed very odd that she would have kept that maid for so long. For much of the show, I was never clear whether the maid was blatantly taking advantage of Emily. I guess I'm still not entirely sure, but in the end, the story did grow on me and it was nice to see Emily create a new family.

As for the ending, I liked it. It made some degree of sense to me. Mother and daughter are so much alike that it wasn't a shock to see history repeat itself. Logan was definitely her Christopher in every way. Looking back to the scene with Christopher knowing what we know, it plays much different in my head. There's a lot more meaning to that scene when you think of her seeking advice rather than information for her book.

Of course, the ending leaves things wide open for more. With as much attention as this revival has received, I'd be surprised if we don't get another installment eventually. I'll be there if there it is. Despite some of the faults, I really loved having it back, even if it was brief.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.