Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E01) -- "First Time Again" -- 10/11/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E01) -- "First Time Again" -- 10/11/15

Noticed the new black guy was Corey Hawkins who played Dr. Dre in Straight Outta Compton. Pretty big gig for him to get out of that movie. Let's see how long he lasts.

Poor Carter. He just stood there and let the Walker chew half his face off. I loved when he was screaming in pain "Shit I'm dead"

Interesting and entertaining start. I thought the non-linear storytelling was unique and cool.
Old 10-12-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Noticed the new black guy was Corey Hawkins who played Dr. Dre in Straight Outta Compton. Pretty big gig for him to get out of that movie. Let's see how long he lasts.

Poor Carter. He just stood there and let the Walker chew half his face off. I loved when he was screaming in pain "Shit I'm dead"

Interesting and entertaining start. I thought the non-linear storytelling was unique and cool.
well, he was wearing a red shirt for most of the episode. I thought he was Aaron for most of the episode and I thought, why are they calling him by his last name? How did Aaron Carter survive the zombie Apocalypse?
Old 10-12-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I kept trying to figure out where I had seen that guy. It took until Taking Dead when they did the trivia part
Old 10-12-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
Seems obvious it is Gabriel, but who knows if they go that way. I do agree, that they had them blocked in. Just keep reinforcing the area, picking them off one by one. That area was a great buffer for them. Now, it's open, which allows others to head into the same area and head for the community.
No kidding, that was a fantastic place to keep them. They could have just setup an assembly line death machine by the semi's, zombies squeeze out 1 by 1, they get killed and tossed back in the pit. They could have killed them all in a week. And it's not like they didn't have access to semi-heavy machinery, since they walked by the tractor store.
Old 10-12-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Obviously Rick's plan only exists because it gives the writers and nice three episode arc and made for a strong opener. In reality you fortify the perimeter and blow the shit out of them.

Seemed likely it was Ron's kid blowing the horn. Rick kills his dad, wants to plow his mom and just treated him like a little bitch. Almost seems too obvious though.

No Carl made for a better episode. They really just need to kill that little shit.

Love how they just constantly introduce new characters. It's like Lost where there'd be an endless supply of new people, like they're always trying to find a character interesting enough to keep around.
Old 10-12-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Rick has brought death and destruction to almost every location he has visited.
He is truly brings the wrath wherever he goes. I think the only location that him visiting didn't get destroyed was the old folk's home and the Hispanic survivors.
There was a scene cut from the last season 1 episode where they go back there and they're all dead.
Old 10-12-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Rick has brought death and destruction to almost every location he has visited.
He is truly brings the wrath wherever he goes. I think the only location that him visiting didn't get destroyed was the old folk's home and the Hispanic survivors.
1). RV Camp
2). Herschel's farm
3). Prison
4). Woodbury
5). Terminus
6). Alexandria?

I don't think he is that great of a leader. A triumvirate consisting of Daryl, Carol and Michonne would be 1000x better.
Only when you have a selective memory.

Campsite
Overrun by walkers. This was before Rick really knew what he was dealing with.

Herschel's farm
Destroyed by enormous walker herd, the first time the group had seen a herd like that outside Atlanta.

Prison
Destroyed by Governor over the course of three attacks; a flu epidemic resulted in numerous deaths before the final attack, when a tank blew apart the gates and walls and opened it up to walker invasion.

Woodbury
Destroyed by Governor after murdering like two dozen of his own citizens and literally burning it to the ground. Rick's group took in Woodbury's elderly and children before the third attack on the prison, although they all died due to the Governor's attack. The Governor basically killed everyone in Woodbury, directly or indirectly.

Terminus
Yeah, these guys were murderers and cannibals. They got everything that was coming to them.

Besides, it's not like a zombie show is gonna have everyone live happily ever after.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 10-12-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I liked the black and white; they should do the whole series this way (I know they broadcast the pilot in B&W some time ago but I never caught it).

As for FTWD, even the "minisode" was a colossal bore. I think they were trying to do a "jump scare" when that woman tapped the kids phone, but they failed miserably.
It (the B&W pilot) was also on the Blu-ray set for S1.

I can't let go that they've built the towns walls backwards. I try, but then episodes like this have people (Carter?) talking about building the walls and it just irritates me all over again. Then, notice that they correctly built the walls to contain the herd. The inconsistency is really annoying.

I agree with other posters about taking out the walkers in the quarry. How many vehicles did they line up along the road, but they couldn't use vehicles in some way to keep the quarry walkers contained?
Old 10-12-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotta agree with others, I think they should have fortified and used the trapped walkers as a means of training the Alexandria people. They could have just slowly picked them off from above over a week or two. Seems like it makes sense to keep the thing that has been keeping the zombies to a trickle for so long.

Also I'm probably alone in this, but I wish they would have spent more time addressing the events at the end of last season, and spread out dealing with the mass of zombies over a few more episodes. They did the same last season when they wrapped up terminus within an episode or two of the opener. There is more material there for developing the characters IMO. I understand it makes for an exciting couple episodes, but I think this show consistently has problems with pacing.
Old 10-12-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I thought the intro scene was a fast forward to the finale. I thought Rick was going to send the zombies to flank that "wolves" group in an epic battle. And then the rest of the premiere and season was going to show everything leading up to that.

But nope, just moving the herd in the premiere haha
Old 10-13-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Can you hair pour some gasoline down there? Does what destroys the zombies' brains have to be concussive? Couldn't you just burn through them to destroy them? It'd be easy and they'd still be down in the big pit. I'm sure I'm overthinking this.
Yea, that's what I would've done... it seemed pretty obvious. You have to use the pit/height as an advantage. Even if it doesn't kill them, it'll be hard for them to "walk" when their body/legs are just charred bones. The plan to draw them away only works if you're drawing them at least a couple hundred miles away. Many will wander around and return to the area anyway.

Very early on when we first see a truck get driven away and the walkers come through, why in the hell would Daryl shoot a bolt at one of them? There are a bajillion walkers, killing one won't make any difference... and they were executing a plan to draw them anyway - so why waste a bolt for no reason at all?

Poor Carter/Peyton Manning/Ethan Embry - crying like a little bitch.

I've seen the homes in "Alexandria"... they're decent, but would homes like those in the middle of nowhere be starting at 800k? They're not mansions.

In any case, throwing logic out the window - I enjoyed the episode.
Old 10-13-15, 12:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

The B&W flashbacks vs. colour present time scenes was just unimaginative college student bullshit. Oh, Nicotero directed it? That explains it. It's like he watched Christopher Nolan's
Spoiler:
Memento

and thought he was a good enough director to match Nolan's skills.

Otherwise, the episode was merely okay. The plan was stupid. The characters' actions were mostly stupid. And it was super disappointing that Mark (with a K) was only in a single episode, then killed off. I really thought he'd get to be in more of the season, but nope.

I'm a fan of the show and all, but man, what a weak start to this season. For me, the show hit its peak with the pre-Terminus season (Season 4, I think). I hope it can reach that level again.
Old 10-13-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The show tends to introduce a new black character when they want to kill off an existing black character - so now that the show has introduced a new black character in Heath, the clock is probably ticking on when Father Gabriel gets killed.

But at least Heath does seem like he's going to be awesome character.
Old 10-13-15, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I am just glad they finally spent some of the money they are making. The rock quarry scenes were impressive.
Old 10-13-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

For a few minutes I thought I was watching an adaptation of World War Z (the book, not the terrible movie).
Old 10-13-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The B&W flashbacks vs. colour present time scenes was just unimaginative college student bullshit. Oh, Nicotero directed it? That explains it. It's like he watched Christopher Nolan's
Spoiler:
Memento

and thought he was a good enough director to match Nolan's skills.
I got more of an "American History X" vibe from it.
Unless they wanted to show the past and present scenes in chronological order (instead of jumping back and forth) I think the use of B&W and colour to indicate past and present was a necessary evil. TWD gets big ratings, which means there are a lot of lazy viewers - so they'd be easily confused with the past/present scenes otherwise. Sometimes you gotta dumb things down for Joe Sixpack.
Old 10-13-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm wondering if the OP could make 2 TWD threads for each episode every week: One for fans to comment, and another thread for people to just bitch about every little thing in the show. Now I don't love everything about the show, as everyone has a right to be critical. But geez, some of the comments makes me wonder why these people are still watching the show?
Old 10-13-15, 08:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod note: "TV Talk" is not a cheerleading squad. Both positive and negative opinions about shows are allowed.
Old 10-13-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good episode but i just get annoyed by those not standing behind rick.
Old 10-13-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://deadline.com/2015/10/the-walk...mc-1201577117/

Huge ratings still. 14.6M viewers and 7.4.
Old 10-13-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rick, that was the worst plan ever. Glad the show is back though. FTWD is just terrible.
Old 10-13-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Gooter
So I assume M&M (Michonne & Morgan) did not approve of Rick killing Ethan Embry's character (Carter I think)? They both said something like 'I know how it is or I see how it is'.

If true, what was Rick supposed to do in that situation? Carter was just bit in the face and screaming like a stuck pig with the zombie conga line on the loose? Plus, he was dead anyway due to the bite.
What's the consensus here? My read was more like Rick knew this guy would get himself killed and he got himself killed. But I guess Rick could have made Preston stay back like Gabriel but then maybe he'd plot against Rick.
Old 10-13-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

you knew he would die just from his yearbook page
Old 10-13-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee I didn't think there was much wrong with the plan. They couldn't keep them there - what did they have to keep them in?

Eventually the pile would just get so big that they'd get out anyhow.

Obviously it's the wolves that sounded the horn. Brat kid would have to be suicidal - if it was him, he's getting a bullet to the head.

Michonne has killed for the same reason before:

Old 10-13-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam
Gee I didn't think there was much wrong with the plan. They couldn't keep them there - what did they have to keep them in?

Eventually the pile would just get so big that they'd get out anyhow.
Burn the zombies?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.