DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central) -- Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/628858-daily-show-trevor-noah-comedy-central-discussion-thread.html)

TheBang 09-29-15 02:21 AM

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central) -- Discussion Thread

http://i1.wp.com/bitcast-a-sm.bitgra...Noah-promo.jpg

What did you think?

I've only watched about 7 minutes so far, but it felt like he was basically doing a Jon Stewart impression. But I've really missed having a news source like this so I'm glad to have something back.

Jackskeleton 09-29-15 03:28 AM

Re: The Daily Show with Trevor Noah discussion thread

He played it safe, much like Jon did when he took over. I thought his jokes had a little more venom in them. His interviewing portion was pretty lackluster and obviously will improve once he actually feels more comfortable in that role.

Decent over all.

aintnosin 09-29-15 04:54 AM

When Jon Stewart took over the show, he basically kept doing the old Craig Kilborn show for a while. It only morphed into the show we remember over time. Noah seems to be taking the same approach. It's the Daily Show, more or less the same as we remember it, but hopefully he'll start putting his stamp on it before too much longer.

Throwing Copper 09-29-15 05:53 AM

I wasn't expecting much, and I thought it was very funny. The interview with Kevin Hart wasn't good, but Noah himself was pretty damn funny for the first 2/3 of the show.

I'll continue watching for sure.

Deadman31 09-29-15 07:30 AM

Re: The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central) -- Discussion Thread

I had my doubts but overall not too bad.

Giles 09-29-15 09:06 AM

hey I laughed ..

Nth Power 09-29-15 08:53 PM

I thought he did a pretty good job. Not too much different from the old show, which is a good thing I guess. I'll keep tuning in.

dhmac 09-29-15 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 12601634)
When Jon Stewart took over the show, he basically kept doing the old Craig Kilborn show for a while.

I still remember in late 1998 fretting about the hosting change on The Daily Show. Will it still be good without Craig Kilborn? I knew about Jon Stewart due mainly to when he was on MTV, but would he be able to do TDS style of comedy well? And it honestly took me about a year into Jon Stewart reign to finally agree that he was better than Craig Kilborn.

So, due to that, I'm a fan of the TDS who isn't worried about Trevor Noah taking over. Although I doubt he will ever top Jon Stewart, if he's as good as Craig Kilborn was, that'll be plenty good enough for me.

Deadman31 09-29-15 09:10 PM

Does anyone here like the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore? Took a little while but it's grown on me.

Troy Stiffler 09-29-15 10:30 PM

Larry Wilmore is alright. I think there's a delicate balance between funny/insightful and insulting. The Daily Show mastered it. And I think that John Oliver's show is also perfect.

Take a look at that awful Redacted Tonight show on RT. It's a very rude and arrogant show.

Larry Wilmore, along with Bill Maher, mostly balance out. But they do have segments where I roll my eyes and tune out for awhile. And it's somewhat common. And then the panels are hit and miss.

Throwing Copper 09-29-15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 12602526)

Larry Wilmore, along with Bill Maher, mostly balance out. But they do have segments where I roll my eyes and tune out for awhile. And it's somewhat common. And then the panels are hit and miss.

Sure. But Maher is literally going to say whatever pops into this mind, and most others will not. Maher doesn't give two fucks how many people he offends, which is what I like about his show.

And HBO likes the prestige of having his show and the occasional controversy/notoriety it brings to the network.

slop101 09-30-15 03:18 PM

I have to eat crow on Noah, he's been strong right off the bat. I even like the new graphics.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 (Post 12602464)
Does anyone here like the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore? Took a little while but it's grown on me.

Nightly Show's a little better now than when it first started, but it still mostly bores me and doesn't have too many laughs. The panel segments are dreadfully bad.

Breakfast with Girls 10-01-15 10:57 AM

His interview skills are abysmal (and his non-reaction to Hart's gift was bizarre), but he's clearly nervous and I think he'll grow into it. All the smiling is just nerves. It'll be a different show than Stewart's was.

I wonder who Noah was referring to when he said they offered the show to a woman first. Obvious choice is Tina Fey.

Obviously John Oliver was the best choice, but the problem was that he was too damn good right from the start, so it was too obvious. I love his show but do kind of wish he were on 4 nights a week instead.

Mr. Salty 10-01-15 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 12604058)
I wonder who Noah was referring to when he said they offered the show to a woman first.

Amy Schumer. She and Stewart discussed it when she was on his show a couple of weeks before he left.

slop101 10-01-15 01:26 PM

I think they offered it to Samantha Bee too, but she wanted a different kind of show.

slop101 10-05-15 12:20 PM

Just wanted to say that I love Roy Wood Jr. as one of the new correspondents. He kills it every time!

Breakfast with Girls 10-05-15 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 12604085)
Amy Schumer. She and Stewart discussed it when she was on his show a couple of weeks before he left.

Oh god. I think I prefer Noah in that case.

Breakfast with Girls 10-05-15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12608097)
Just wanted to say that I love Roy Wood Jr. as one of the new correspondents. He kills it every time!

My favorite new correspondent so far.

DVD Josh 10-05-15 02:28 PM

Not really enjoying this. But in fairness to Noah, I'm not sure really anyone would have been good replacing John.

Breakfast with Girls 10-05-15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12608229)
Not really enjoying this. But in fairness to Noah, I'm not sure really anyone would have been good replacing John.

Sure, plenty of people: Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, Tina Fey. They all just had jobs already. :p

Norm de Plume 10-08-15 01:21 AM

I finally watched the first - now passé - episode on the PVR, and I found Noah quite bland. Not naturally funny at all. I think someone like Al Madrigal might have made a much better host. Nevertheless, I'm sure Noah will improve with time. What I don't understand is why they kept the same theme music, that annoying guitar riff, which is hurtin' after 15+ years.

Norm de Plume 10-08-15 03:00 AM

I viewed the rest of the intervening shows and found Noah improving steadily. Of the new correspondents, Roy Wood and Ronny Cheng (On the media shilling for virtual reality: "Why the hell would I want to go to China and stand around for ten seconds?":lol:) have shown a lot of promise so far, but Debi Lysic is just terrible.

Jadzia 10-08-15 07:53 AM

I cancelled my season pass. I'd watch it if it is just something I see flipping through channels, but it just doesn't seem like "must-watch" television anymore. I don't need to watch it every night.

Breakfast with Girls 10-08-15 10:30 AM

Noah improved markedly between his second and third episode. His interview with Seth Rogen was dramatically better than the previous ones, although he spends way too much time praising people. He still needs work during correspondent reports (often it's clear that he's reading from a TelePrompTer), but I think he'll improve. I'm sure Jon kind of sucked early on, too.

slop101 10-08-15 10:37 AM

FWIW, Noah is much stronger his first week than Stewart was in his first week.