Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Old 01-16-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
You can usually tell the ones who are there simply to get air time for their product. I don't think that was her goal. I think she really was an oblivious moron who needed her bug eyes slapped back in to her head. It was a great product (and probably with a tremendous markup), but she just had no realistic clue. I was surprised Mr. Wonderful didn't try to get her to do a licensing deal as a way to remove her from the concept.
Yeah, her bug-eyed intensity had me annoyed too, but it was more the abject greed. The thing is, O'Leary offered her exactly what she wanted with a (very reasonable) stipulation, that's why I think she was there for the publicity. I agree the product seems terrific, but I hope she fails miserably.
Old 01-16-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Robert often gets upset because presenters have used his offers in the past to leverage better offers from the other sharks, all the while ditching him usually for Mark Cuban.
True, he's kind of seen as the Shark of Last Resort, and he clearly resents it, but with this Hungry Harvest thing I think he truly was personally interested in the good-doing and charitable aspects of the offer, gave the man exactly what he asked for (but double the money), and didn't want to waste time with the back-and-forth with the other sharks.
Old 01-16-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I get the feeling that shark hasn't been outside San Francisco/Silicon Valley in a long, long time.
Yeah, I can see how car ownership would be undesirable in a large urban city. But in the rest of the country, you really don't have many other options to get around.
Old 01-16-16, 03:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yeah, I can see how car ownership would be undesirable in a large urban city. But in the rest of the country, you really don't have many other options to get around.
just wait, I am going to be on Shark Tank next season pitching my genetically engineered TaunTaun rental service! #andIthoughttheysmelledbadontheoutside
Old 01-16-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
just wait, I am going to be on Shark Tank next season pitching my genetically engineered TaunTaun rental service! #andIthoughttheysmelledbadontheoutside
I'm in. I'll give you twenty thousand for 10%, but it will be in Republic Credits.
Old 01-16-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yeah, her bug-eyed intensity had me annoyed too, but it was more the abject greed. The thing is, O'Leary offered her exactly what she wanted with a (very reasonable) stipulation, that's why I think she was there for the publicity. I agree the product seems terrific, but I hope she fails miserably.
I can see how you would reach that conclusion, but her behavior seemed (to me) to indicate otherwise. I think she is used to brow beating her husband down and getting her own way with no compromise. She didn't try negotiating with him, she just shut him down and went on, oblivious to what was actually happening. It was her body language -- she didn't stay open to the panel, she would turn her head/body to shut out people who weren't talking to her.

The ones who are just looking for publicity generally come in with exhorbitant asking prices for small percentages, but they usually have some support data. This lady simply thought you continue to grow exponentially every year in perpetuity. She had nothing to support her.
Old 01-16-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was her body language -- she didn't stay open to the panel, she would turn her head/body to shut out people who weren't talking to her.
I didn't notice that. I did observe how annoyed Cuban was with her. She would have been impossible to work with.
Old 01-17-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Chris Sacca makes a return... for the worse. The first time he was on he was fantastic, sign him up for more. Somewhere between his last visit and this one he turned into Nick "when I invented GoPro" Woodman. Hearing about Uber every time it was his turn to speak got tiresome quick.

Time to kick him to the curb.
Old 01-18-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Chris Sacca makes a return... for the worse. The first time he was on he was fantastic, sign him up for more. Somewhere between his last visit and this one he turned into Nick "when I invented GoPro" Woodman. Hearing about Uber every time it was his turn to speak got tiresome quick.

Time to kick him to the curb.
Yeah. I immediately noticed that.

Can you imagine having both of them on the show at once? It would be a Uber/GoPro throw-down. It's so annoying.

I know the other sharks bring up prior investments but they at least typically spread out their successful examples.
Old 01-18-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I didn't notice that. I did observe how annoyed Cuban was with her. She would have been impossible to work with.
She was intensely dislikable. And she got exactly what she asked for.

I also hated the basinet scale thing. Seriously? She was one of them so she got a deal, more because of her previous company than this idea.

Tried Brazi Bites....meh.

Would love to see some real technology on the show but doubt it ever happens.

Here is what will happen with self driven cars...they will be awesome until the day it unfortunately kills a child jumping out into the street and that will be that.
Old 01-19-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Here is what will happen with self driven cars...they will be awesome until the day it unfortunately kills a child jumping out into the street and that will be that.
Not so sure about that. They will undoubtedly be equipped with cameras recording every angle, and anything that isn't the fault of the vehicle will be summarily and properly viewed as such. I'm just not sure the technology is sound. That remains to be proven for the long term.
Old 01-20-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

You can usually tell the ones who are there simply to get air time for their product. I don't think that was her goal. I think she really was an oblivious moron who needed her bug eyes slapped back in to her head. It was a great product (and probably with a tremendous markup), but she just had no realistic clue. I was surprised Mr. Wonderful didn't try to get her to do a licensing deal as a way to remove her from the concept.
I agree. I think she wanted a deal. I just think that she believes that being a $20 million company happens overnight. And that was what she was looking for, the easy road. She didn't think she had to put in the years of hard work to get there.

She has a good product but I think the real world will eventually kick her in the ass. You'll see that product being sold in a few years by a big company that swooped in and bought her out.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
That chick selling the beard bib was smoking hot. I bet if she was selling it alone, one of the male Sharks would have invested.
Oh yeah she was real hot. Lucky husband. The product was stupid though. How many times would the clippings end up on the floor when some dope would pull the thing off the mirror and then not get it all in the garbage? How annoying would it be if the suction didn't hold?

As soon as they touted the thing as eliminating manual beard clipping clean up, my ears perked. I was ready to buy the thing right away since it would potentially be a solution to a problem I face all the time. But this seems like more of a hassle than the makeshift solutions I already do.

Originally Posted by sydonesia
That Uber guy sure likes telling us that he invested in Uber. But seriously, buying a car is going to become a thing of the past thanks to Uber.......WHAT?
Anyone here watch Silicon Valley? It was getting to the point where he was reminding of the guy from that show that keeps reminding everyone how he invested in "Aviato".
Old 01-20-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Did you guys know Chris made a lot of money investing in Uber before they were big??! lol
Old 01-20-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd

Would love to see some real technology on the show but doubt it ever happens.
I'm neither a long time nor every week watcher (like the concept, like the show, but not a staple in my life) ... But I have wondered about the disproportionate number of cookie/baking companies they have on. I would expect more tech, but it seems to be a large percentage of garage based baby products and cookies.
Old 01-20-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

The major tech startups don't need to be on the show. There have been quite a few apps pitched but it's not the norm.
Old 01-20-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also much easier to steal a tech idea than a recipe.
Old 01-20-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

This show is best used for consumer products that can reach a national audience. It's basically an hour-long infomercial cleverly packaged as a business program.

If you aren't in the consumer product space or super desperate, it doesn't make business sense to go on the Shark Tank. There are much better venues to secure financing without giving up so much equity. That is why we keep getting a ton of baby products and food items.
Old 01-20-16, 02:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I love this show when it is an actual physical non-edible product, but my eyes fucking glaze over when it is some sort of diet, exercise program, or food item.
Old 01-20-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Having food products on the show is nonsense. The viewer has no real gauge on if it's good or not.

I don't need tech products either. The good ones will arise without the show. Plus they're the ones that already have financial backing and it's people looking for more. That's not what I like Shark Tank to be. To me, I like the mom and pops with a good idea to solve an everyday problem that are put on a track to be successful thanks to the Sharks. It gives the aura that anyone can do it.

And I imagine we get a lot of baby products because the demographic for the show skews towards those that would buy those products.
Old 02-12-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Uber Chris is back and he makes the intro. Looks like he might be in the permanent rotation. Instead of pulling the Uber card this week he pimped out his Vegan restaurant but it was at least organic(Ha!) and related to the discussion unlike the Uber nonsense.

Smart Plate - very cool. My sister is in the middle of a dietary issue and has to track everything. It's a pain in the ass. I thought he told the sharks it was $199 but you can buy on his website for $119. Still high, but I can see someone like my sister dropping $80-$100 on it.

Bee Free Honey - I'm not a vegan but I can see myself trying it out if the price is comparable.

Ilumi - update was nice. I liked their presentation when they were first on.

Float Baby - Utterly ridiculous. Good for Kevin calling her out on just being there to pimp her baby spa. I think the float is stupid (I had my kids in the pool within the first month), but at least he was right about selling it. I'm sure some schmuck would buy it. Would be perfect on a Bed, Bath & Beyond endcap with Lori (despite her not being on this week).

M Tailor
- Very cool concept with the app. I have little interest in $70 shirts, but cool nonetheless. As for the app, there's potential there to expand to a lifestyle type app. Maybe something like licensing with Weight Watchers or something along those lines. Guy seemed like a douchebag for where he is at in his company.
Old 02-13-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I thought the smart plate was incredibly stupid.

Was M Tailor just for shirts? I wouldn't have much use for it. I've wore the same size shirt for 25 years and sizing is pretty standard.
Old 02-13-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Go back and watch M Tailor. By the end of the segment, the guy had the wettest armpits ever seen on tv. Not the best image for his shirts.
Old 02-13-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I noticed that too.
Old 02-13-16, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to Uber guy to toning down his Uber schtick this go around. You'd think he'd have enough money to buy a second shirt.

And yes, I know they tape a bunch in the same day, but he's been with two different groups this season.

M Tailor felt like a guy just there for the publicity. You valuate your company at $10 million, miss your goals, then ask for 2.5x more? And then shockingly someone OFFERS it to you (in the form of debt) and then you turn it down? Though I do think Kevin's bet was that he was going to make more in interest than he would have as an actual investor.
Old 02-13-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I think the Mtailor guy wanted to partner with Damon but didn't want to license it out. When Damon made it clear he wanted the company solely for its licensing potential, the guy walked.

I actually think the business prospects for Mtailor were quite good. Mr. Wonderful's debt offer didn't really make a huge amount of sense for a tech company and I think the guy was looking for a strategic partner instead of a simple cash grab.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.