Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Old 10-03-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Do people really want to eat their cups? That seems like a party novelty at best.
That's a secondary benefit/novelty. The main benefit is how fast it would decompose if thrown away.
Old 10-05-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I thought Ashton did a good job. He was a million times better than that awful GoPro inventor Nick Woodman when he guest stars. By the way, did I mention he invented GoPro? He invented GoPro.
I just wanted to let you know, in case you missed it, that the guy invented GoPro. Not sure if that was mentioned on the episode or not.
Old 10-10-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

random socks of the month pitch was one of the lamest thing on Sharktank. I cannot believe the sharks were so interested in this idea which had like 6k subscribers and was totally seasonal. $250k for this ... Cuban is throwing his cash away.
Old 10-10-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

The socks business was lame. I thought the new shark brought a fresh perspective to the show, you can tell he's a veteran of the VC game.
Old 10-10-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Cuban is throwing his cash away.
Not really. Almost zero inventory liabilities. Market it. Run it lean. And it'll make everyone money.
Old 10-10-15, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think the socks were THAT bad, though I do think the "Netflix for (insert item here)" concept has run its course. There's only so many $10/months to go around.

I don't even think it was the lamest pitch on the show, much less the lamest thing ever. That Nerdwax idea I thought was really bad. I thought they were going to have cool disposable frames or something, and it ends up just being chap stick for your nose.
Old 10-10-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I didn't think the socks were THAT bad, though I do think the "Netflix for (insert item here)" concept has run its course. There's only so many $10/months to go around.

I don't even think it was the lamest pitch on the show, much less the lamest thing ever. That Nerdwax idea I thought was really bad. I thought they were going to have cool disposable frames or something, and it ends up just being chap stick for your nose.
I sat there wondering if actual chap stick would work exactly as well.

One of the weaker episodes I thought. None of them seemed investment worthy.
Old 10-13-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I liked the Nerdwax but I don't wear glasses.

The rest of 'em were pretty dull.
Old 10-23-15, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just got to last Friday's episode.

I really liked the Pizza guy, but the frozen pizza business is ridiculously competitive.

https://www.goldbely.com/table-87

Check out the prices for their pizza. Seems like buying the slices is a lot more expensive than the pies.

I'm sure the pizza tastes great if you go to the store, but the frozen prices are pretty expensive. The most I'm willing to pay for a whole frozen pie is $6-8 tops. If I lived in NYC, I would consider visiting his shop, but forget paying those frozen prices.

Good for him getting a deal with Lori.

at Dude Wipes. Sure I would love to feel a little cleaner if I have to use the public jon to use the throne. Just seems like a hassle and unnecessary expense to buy them and have to remember to carry those wipes. And I just want to do my business and go the fuck out of there ASAP. Wiping your face or hands is nice, but just a luxury.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-23-15 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 07:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see guys dropping wipe packages all the time in the bathroom where I work.. it's kinda new phenomenon so I think she's got something there...
Old 10-23-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

I can't recall the name but I keep a similar wipe in my laptop bag. The one I have is scented though. They're great in the summer when you just need to freshen up/cool off a bit.

Edit: Found them; they're Niche wipes.

Last edited by Noonan; 10-23-15 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Real men use tree bark to wipe. That is all.
Old 10-23-15, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

My wife got me Dude Wipes and a Squatty Potty for Xmas last year... they're fine, nothing great; just Baby wipes in a new package.
Old 10-23-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't watched the episode in question, but baby wipes for dudes? Can we put the brakes on the pussification of the male species?
Old 10-23-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Real men use tree bark to wipe. That is all.
Real men use whatever small animal is within shooting range to wipe. That is all.
Old 10-23-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 10-30-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not too sure about hot coffee in a can. Maybe in Japan, but

I don't think Windcatcher guy really wanted a deal.
Old 10-30-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't drink coffee but you would think it could find a home in theaters, arenas and the like. Personal use is a tough sell with people's Starbucks addiction and restaurant drive-thrus at every turn. The tech was cool, but I don't think they focused enough on the coffee itself. Maybe if that was unique and set it apart. Maybe he should have been working to partner with an existing coffee company somehow. Hot Starbucks at every gas station instead of cold Starbucks? You would think that would work. Also it didn't help that the home hot box looked like something that belongs in an Easy Bake Oven line of products for kids.

Steve Buschemi's Windcatcher tech was extremely cool. Man the sharks were all over this one and rightfully so. He seemed pretty shortsighted to want to limit it to camping gear. The more ideal application would be pool rafts. Inflate at pool/ocean, deflate to go back in the car, reinflate, etc. Rare to see the sharks dip below their magic "I don't get out of bed for less than 10%" threshold. They were all dipping below 10%.

STEM was confusing. I don't get what they were selling or how they make money. Like Mark said, way too open ended. I think going with Laurie because she has female parts was the wrong choice. Mr. Google was the perfect fit.

Speaking of, guest shark Chris was the best guest yet. He wasn't afraid to get in there and mix it up with Kevin & Laurie, and actually wanted to make deals (not just pimp his "did I mention I made GoPro?" product). They should definitely invite him back.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-31-15 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 01:44 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't drink coffee but you would think it could find a home in theaters, arenas and the like. Personal use is a tough sell with people's Starbucks addiction and restaurant drive-thrus at every turn. The tech was cool, but I don't think they focused enough on the coffee itself. Maybe if that was unique and set it apart. Maybe he should have been working to partner with an existing coffee company somehow. Hot Starbucks at every gas station instead of cold Starbucks? You would think that would work. Also it didn't help that the home hot box looked like something that belongs in an Easy Bake Oven line of products for kids.

Steve Buschemi's Windcatcher tech was extremely cool. Man the sharks were all over this one and rightfully so. He seemed pretty shortsighted to want to limit it to camping gear. The more ideal application would be pool rafts. Inflate at pool/ocean, deflate to go back in the car, reinflate, etc. Rare to see the sharks dip below their magic "I don't get out of bed for less than 10%" threshold. They were all dipping below 10%.

STEM was confusing. I don't get what they were selling or how they make money. Like Mark said, way too open ended. I think going with Laurie because she has female parts was the wrong choice. Mr. Google was the perfect fit.

Speaking of, guest shark Chris was the best guest yet. He wasn't afraid to get in there and mix it up with Kevin & Laurie, and actually wanted to make deals (not just pimp his "did I mention I made GoPro?" product). They should definitely invite him back.
I would have went with Cuban if I was him. That valve itself is really valuable not the lame-o inflata-bed he created. One of the more interesting guys to be on Shark Tank.

Anyone else find Grenier just ever so faintly creepy?

Surprised no one mentioned Mathnasium in reference to STEM. It was also ridiculous how perfectly they spoke together.

I don't get coffee on any lever (supertaster) so had no real feel for that product though it would seem to have uses in certain situations.

Solid episode.
Old 10-31-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Chris Sacca was fantastic on this. He could replace any of the sharks and would be fine.
Old 10-31-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Chris Sacca was fantastic on this. He could replace any of the sharks and would be fine.
Yep. Wouldn't mind at all seeing him as a regular.
Old 11-01-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I don't think Windcatcher guy really wanted a deal.
I think he wanted a deal but didn't want Lori as the partner. That was a guy where the right shark with the right connections could really work out well for everyone. He likely wanted to partner with Cuban but then Lori undercut everyone else so much he couldn't refuse her.

Originally Posted by Deftones
He had possibly the most genuinely funny line I've seen on Shark Tank in six years when he dismissed Lori before she could talk to those STEM presenters. Cuban was cracking up in the background at all his lines.

The sharks with VC experience are always going to have a leg up on the ordinary sharks in terms of intelligence and business formation experience. The show would be far more entertaining from a business perspective if they had a panel of sharks from VC backgrounds.
Old 11-02-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Chris Sacca was great. He was spot on about the STEM company. Sacca having a STEM background would have been the perfect fit. Lori's retail background wasn't so perfect of a fit and her being a woman doesn't mean anything. Short sighted but at the same time Lori did jump on their counter offer without hesitation so I can understand that aspect of it.

The Windcatcher product was great. Not surprised the Sharks jumped all over it. I think going both the camping gear company route and the licensing route is the right call. Loved how he repeated back Kevin's offer to show how ridiculous it was

The AirBNB for college football also seems like a solid investment. I don't like it when Kevin pulls the "what if company x decides to come in and squash you?"... well that's why you jump the gun on it and get it moving as fast as possible so when AirBNB does decide to jump in they're already behind.
Old 11-03-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001

The AirBNB for college football also seems like a solid investment. I don't like it when Kevin pulls the "what if company x decides to come in and squash you?"... well that's why you jump the gun on it and get it moving as fast as possible so when AirBNB does decide to jump in they're already behind.
The sharks hate seasonal products/services. This is seasonal and also very location/date specific. It is basically a play to see if AirBnB will buy them out. All or nothing.
Old 11-03-15, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
The sharks hate seasonal products/services. This is seasonal and also very location/date specific. It is basically a play to see if AirBnB will buy them out. All or nothing.
Seasonal? College football goes from September to January, when you factor in all bowl games. That's not very seasonal to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.