DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Limitless (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/628705-limitless-cbs-season-1-thread-premieres-9-22-15-a.html)

DJariya 09-22-15 03:49 AM

Limitless (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/15

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...08240946_o.jpg

BRIAN FINCH'S LIFE TAKES AN EXTRAORDINARY TURN WHEN HE TAKES A MYSTERIOUS DRUG THAT ALLOWS HIM TO ACCESS HIS FULL BRAIN CAPACITY, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "LIMITLESS," TUESDAY, SEPT. 22

Jake McDorman, Jennifer Carpenter, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Hill Harper Star

Academy Award Nominee Bradley Cooper Executive Produces and Recurs as Sen. Edward Mora

"Pilot" - Brian Finch's life takes an extraordinary turn when he uses a mysterious drug, NZT, that allows him to access his full brain capacity. However, when an NZT-related murder lands Brian on the FBI's radar, he uses the drug in an attempt to stay ahead of the authorities long enough to clear his name, on the series premiere of LIMITLESS, Tuesday, Sept. 22 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper executive produces and recurs as Sen. Edward Mora.

LIMITLESS, based on the feature film, is a fast-paced drama about Brian Finch, who discovers the brain-boosting power of the mysterious drug NZT and is coerced by the FBI into using his extraordinary cognitive abilities to solve complex cases for them. Working closely with

Brian in the major case squad in New York City is Agent Rebecca Harris, a formidable investigator with a dark past, and Agent Boyle, a former military officer and Rebecca's confidante. They report to Special Agent in Charge Nasreen "Naz" Pouran, a canny manipulator of the reins of power. Unbeknownst to the FBI, Brian also has a clandestine relationship with Sen. Edward Mora (Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper, recurring)
, a presidential hopeful and regular user of NZT who has plans of his own for his new protégé. Fueled now with a steady supply of NZT that enables him to use 100% of his brain capacity, Brian is more effective than all of the FBI agents combined, making him a criminal's worst nightmare and the greatest asset the Bureau has ever possessed.

REGULAR CAST:

Jake McDorman (Brian Finch)
Jennifer Carpenter (Agent Rebecca Harris)
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (SAC Nasreen "Naz" Pouran)
Hill Harper (Agent Spellman Boyle)
RECURRING CAST:

Bradley Cooper (Senator Edward Mora)
Ron Rifkin (Dennis Finch)
Blair Brown (Marie Finch)
Sipiwe Moyo (Nurse)
GUEST CAST:

Megan Guinan (Sarah Finch)
Arjun Gupta (Eli Whitford)
Sarah Wilson (Jessamyn Eubanks)
Mark Anthony Noonan (Luke)
Zach Miko (Cameron)
Claire Glassford (Lisa)
Kathleen Hays (Sabrina)
Henry Gagliardi (10-year-old Brian)
Nicholas Verina (Sarah's Husband)
Tom Malmed (16-year-old Brian)
Daniel Eric Gold (Adam Honeycutt)
Zuleyma Guevara (Teller)
Charles Anthony Burks (Motorman)
Warren Bub (Bank Security Guard)
Craig Sweeny (Cecil)
Cole Hagen (Young Luke)

WRITTEN BY: Craig Sweeny

DIRECTED BY: Marc Webb

Bradley Cooper will guest star in the Pilot playing the same character he played in the movie. He will appear in future episodes depending on his availability and of course if this gets a full season order.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yAZpdTR1mTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJariya 09-23-15 02:36 AM

Re: Limitless (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/15

I liked the Pilot. Had some humor and didn't take itself too seriously. It was structured very similar to the movie with the narration and special effects. I know Jake McDorman (Brian) from the show Greek and he was actually quite charming as the lead. His backstory with him being a slacker made him interesting. I wasn't sure how this would work as a weekly series, but they seem to have a decent starting point.

My question is now that Brian is a "Consultant" for the FBI and needs the NZT pills, where is he getting the supply from? I always got the impression from the movie that it was an illegal drug. Is the FBI providing Brian with the pills? Rebecca gave him that bag at the end.

They did leave things open for Cooper/Senator Mora to return. Does Brian need regular injections from him to control the NZT side effects?

I noticed on the end credits this is a Kurtzman/Orci production. This is like the 4th show they have on air. H50, this, Scorpion and Sleepy Hollow.

JTH182 09-23-15 02:55 AM

I liked this better than the Minority Report pilot, but I'm afraid this one could devolve into a generic procedural. Hope I'm wrong.

stingermck 09-23-15 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12595656)
I liked this better than the Minority Report pilot, but I'm afraid this one could devolve into a generic procedural. Hope I'm wrong.

Same. I was interested all the way until the end when he joined the FBI and then thought, awww its now a procedural.

Jadzia 09-23-15 07:41 AM

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I never heard of the movie it was based on, the premise didn't sound that enticing and I read bad reviews. However, I thought the pilot had a very engaging tone and it kept me interested in the plot for the entire episode. I like the lead too.

I wasn't expecting this would be a show I'd want to keep, but I am in for now.

RichC2 09-23-15 07:55 AM

The movie is a very brisk little thriller despite getting a bit silly near the end. Worth checking out, though it is oddly missing from Netflix these days (was there a couple years back).

JTH182 09-23-15 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 12595750)
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I never heard of the movie it was based on, the premise didn't sound that enticing and I read bad reviews. However, I thought the pilot had a very engaging tone and it kept me interested in the plot for the entire episode. I like the lead too.

I wasn't expecting this would be a show I'd want to keep, but I am in for now.

I'd say if you liked this pilot, then you'll definitely like the movie. It can be had often for $5 on Blu-ray. Worth it.

Superman07 09-23-15 09:07 AM

I was aware of this, but didn't pay it much attention; in part because I never saw the film. But I didn't realize this was starting Evan Chambers. I really enjoyed Greek (still need to finish), so I'll check this out if its on demand.

Mike86 09-23-15 09:30 AM

Forgot about this. I'll have to catch it on demand or something. I really like the film its based on and its pretty cool that the series is actually based in the same world as the film is and not trying to be an entirely separate thing.

johnnysd 09-23-15 09:53 AM

Really solid first episode that felt very continuous with the movie. In terms of the supply, the FBI said that they had reverse engineered the NZT so they can manufacture it but their test subjects all had the side effects so they stopped it, but Brian has the enzyme shot from Mora so he is immune to that. But it could become a boring procedural so who knows?

bluesyman 09-23-15 10:05 AM

Sounds interesting. Liked the movie but missed the pilot episode. Will catch it online or through their app.

Jadzia 09-23-15 10:08 AM

For those that missed the pilot, it looks like CBS is re-airing it Saturday night at 8pm.

Quatermass 09-23-15 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 12595714)
Same. I was interested all the way until the end when he joined the FBI and then thought, awww its now a procedural.

I got the same impression. I enjoyed it, then at the end I realized this is going to be another show with a quirky all-knowing genius and his female detective sidekick like Elementary, Forever, and now Minority Report. I didn't see the original "Limitless" movie, but they have it at my local library. I'm curious to see it now.

mphtrilogy 09-23-15 02:10 PM

I liked it a lot, better than Blindspot and for sure Minority report.

i'm for at least a few eps...

PhantomStranger 09-23-15 02:13 PM

I missed the movie but this was a slick, fast-paced hour. I like the idea of the drug temporarily giving him super-intelligence, though 12 hours seems like an overly long period of time. That should have been cut to one or two hours before it wears off.

The basic concept has some potential, which disappoints me they've cast Jennifer Carpenter as the female lead. I've never liked one of her performances. I got a Person of Interest vibe from this show mixed with a little Elementary.

Deftones 09-23-15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12596203)
I got a Person of Interest vibe from this show mixed with a little Elementary.

While I've never seen Elementary, this is exactly the comparison i had in my head. I enjoyed it and will keep watching.

Superman07 09-23-15 10:05 PM

Fun hour, but it could have used some breathing room. I actually liked the special affects more at the beginning during the dinner scenes and band years.

I did like how they tied in some character bits from the middle of the episode at the end. Help give some long term threads for the series to follow.

Probably won't follow weekly,p, but may record to watch during winter hiatus or could be a fun summer filler.

jacob_b 09-24-15 03:33 PM

Dexter's sister plus the guy from Greek. I need to watch this...

invisiblegt 09-24-15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12595654)
They did leave things open for Cooper/Senator Mora to return. Does Brian need regular injections from him to control the NZT side effects?

Yes. Mora specifically states this. He then proceeds to say that he will let Finch die a long and slow death if he doesn't cooperate.

B.A. 09-24-15 09:51 PM

I enjoyed more than I expected.

Didn't know about the Bradley Cooper cameo and how they would tie it in to the flick.

Jeeden 09-25-15 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt (Post 12597554)
Yes. Mora specifically states this. He then proceeds to say that he will let Finch die a long and slow death if he doesn't cooperate.

This is interesting because at the end of the movie
Spoiler:
he says that he worked out the quirks in the drug and made it stable. Then he was able to go another step further and get off the drug while retaining the abilities. So the TV show implies that he needs to keep taking the drug and he needs the injections

I thought I heard about a sequel to the movie coming out.

Anyway, liked the show. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio isn't quite a cute as she was in the Abyss though :(

MikahC 09-25-15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeden (Post 12597934)
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio isn't quite a cute as she was in the Abyss though :(

Or Scarface. Then again, The Abyss was 26 years ago and Scarface 32. Still, some part of me is pleased that she isn't letting the fact that she's no longer a PYT keep her from having a long career in a field that still isn't very tolerant of female aging.

So far, this is my favorite of the new network shows. Heroes is up there too, but that's at least in part nostalgia and it deserves an asterisk as a "new" show.

Eric F 09-26-15 04:40 PM

Obviously there will be times that the FBI's and Mora's interest will conflict. I suppose that will be when the show gets interesting.

Breakfast with Girls 09-26-15 11:15 PM

You guys realize this is The Mentalist 2, right? The only difference is that this guy has a less interesting backstory and motivation...

jdslater1 09-26-15 11:35 PM

Interesting that Ron Rifkin is in this. They were both in Alias together (though not in many scenes) but it's good that Copper remembers where he came from and can give people some work.