Old 05-12-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Castle (ABC) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/15

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Going to call it now that
Spoiler:
Beckett gets killed in the finale.
If it got renewed then maybe since she wasn't going to be part of the 9th season. But, since it's ending, then no way in hell.

By the way, why the hell do you care anyways? I thought you dropped the show months ago?
Old 05-12-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
That would be a terrible ending.
I can rattle of 50 tv shows that have had terrible endings without giving it much thought. Never underestimate the stupidity of studios.
Old 05-12-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Shit. I still enjoy the show. Please give us a spin-off called 12th Precinct with Espo and Ryan. Make it so ABC!
Old 05-12-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They shot an alternate ending in case it was cancelled, so hopefully it will end happy.

Of course, many shows just out of the blue end horribly, so you can never be sure.
Old 05-13-16, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they'll give her amnesia so she doesn't remember Castle.

Maybe it will all be a dream. Fillion will wake up on Firefly with Morrena Boccarin next to him and he can tell her about this wild dream he had. When Baldwin, Torres and Staite run in he can say they were all in it too just like Wizard of Oz.
Old 05-13-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Kinda glad to hear it's ending. I've been a loyal viewer since the beginning (I've even read a few of the novels), but this season I've let the last several episodes pile up without watching them yet, because it feels like a chore.

I look forward to seeing Fillion in something different now. I'm glad he had a long-running hit with Castle, but the show has been a lot less fun over the past few seasons than when it started.
Old 05-13-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think it's funny how hyprocritical some of these Castle fans are. When they announced that Stana wouldn't be joining the potential 9th season, everyone lost their minds and said No Beckett, No Castle. And they wanted no part of a season 9 with no Beckett.

Now with today's announcement that it's ending, I'm now seeing people pissed and upset that it's ending.
Isn't it much more likely that those are two entirely different subsets of Castle fans, rather than one hypocritical group? I'm in the disappointed camp. Even without Beckett, and even though the show isn't nearly as good as it once was, I still wish it had continued.
Old 05-13-16, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Kinda glad to hear it's ending. I've been a loyal viewer since the beginning (I've even read a few of the novels), but this season I've let the last several episodes pile up without watching them yet, because it feels like a chore.

I look forward to seeing Fillion in something different now. I'm glad he had a long-running hit with Castle, but the show has been a lot less fun over the past few seasons than when it started.
Sadly it became a chore for me too (my female counterpart still loves it, she is not happy). A little too long in the tooth.

I always felt this was a modern version of Moonlighting and ironically it seemed to be doomed a similar fate (i.e. hooking up).
Old 05-14-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm glad it's ending rather than tearing apart what the heart of the show was (Caskett). Without Beckett it wouldn't have been the same show.

I still enjoy the show, even though it hasn't been consistently great since about the 5th season. (It's been inconsistently great, and occasionally just OK.) I would have been in for another season WITH Beckett, but without her? No way.

Hopefully they wrap things up and let them enjoy the rest of their lives. No need to get artsy and/or overly dramatic to end the series. Let the show end happily and make the majority of the fans happy.

It's been a great run.
Old 05-15-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I'm glad it's ending rather than tearing apart what the heart of the show was (Caskett). Without Beckett it wouldn't have been the same show.

I still enjoy the show, even though it hasn't been consistently great since about the 5th season. (It's been inconsistently great, and occasionally just OK.) I would have been in for another season WITH Beckett, but without her? No way.

Hopefully they wrap things up and let them enjoy the rest of their lives. No need to get artsy and/or overly dramatic to end the series. Let the show end happily and make the majority of the fans happy.

It's been a great run.
At this point, even with Beckett, the show has a very weird dynamic. I enjoy the extra screen time for Javy and Ryan, it's so weird to see what is in essence a romantic dramedy with little romance. They've had maybe 5 minutes of screen time together in the episodes this season?

Reminds me of Starsky and Hutch and Mr. and Mrs. Kotter. Other TV partners that didn't get along. Always juicy gossip in the rags.
Old 05-15-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I didn't know about the rumors that Fillion and Katic were not getting along. If true, then the awful storylines that have kept them separate for much of the last couple of seasons suddenly make sense.
Old 05-15-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
I always felt this was a modern version of Moonlighting and ironically it seemed to be doomed a similar fate (i.e. hooking up).
And the lead actors hating each other.
Old 05-15-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stopgap
I don't think that was the problem. Moonlighting's producers and writers handled the situation VERY poorly.

With Castle it worked well until last season, and reading about a rift between Fillion and Katic it makes sense that the chemistry on screen was lost too, so the writers kept them apart as much as possible.

It wasn't getting them together that ruined the show. It would have been stupid to keep them apart given the obvious chemistry between them. People wouldn't avoid a relationship in a situation like that, so watching people avoid a relationship when it was so obvious that they should get together would have made for a frustrating show to watch. No, what brought the show down a peg was the discomfort that the lead actors were trying to hide while playing their romantic scenes. Earlier on there was no discomfort, and the two of them (Fillion and Katic) were clearly having a good time, but as time passed something changed between the two actors and it changed the chemistry on screen (and not for the better).

Still, even at it's worst Castle has been entertaining and more fun to watch than 90% of what's on TV these days.

And it has pretty good rewatchability. (I've re-watched the first 5 seasons on DVD twice and it's still enjoyable.)
Old 05-16-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It will certainly be interesting to see how they close this out tonight. This is the episode where they filmed two endings, so they did get a chance to wrap it all up.

How well they wrap it up is what will be interesting to see. Hopefully we get a satisfying ending.
Old 05-16-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Fever
I wish ABC had cancelled "Castle" last year and saved "Forever" instead.
Aw man. I forgot about "Forever". That was a good one.
Old 05-16-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Shit. I still enjoy the show. Please give us a spin-off called 12th Precinct with Espo and Ryan. Make it so ABC!
I'd rather see one involving Alexis and Hayley and their private investigations.
Old 05-16-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
I'd rather see one involving Alexis and Hayley and their private investigations.
Not a bad idea.

I stopped collecting the DVD's a couple seasons ago but I'd love to see if they include the alternate ending and provide insight as to what the direction would have been without Beckett
Old 05-16-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Wow. You can tell that was a season cliffhanger with a quick series finale tacked on it.
Old 05-16-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Agreed about it feeling like the ending was tacked on but I am happy with what we got.
Old 05-16-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

That last five minutes was a hot mess.
Old 05-17-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly didn't see the identity of LokSat coming. Although, I have to wonder if that was their plan all along - it sure seemed awfully convenient. Without Marlowe there guiding this season I think they were kind of making it up as they went along rather than having the season well planned out like Marlowe would have.

Still, it was a good episode. Not great, but good. That ending was obviously tacked on to resolve a shocking turn of events that was meant to be a cliffhanger. Clearly, the producers thought they were getting a ninth season, but just hedged their bets with that last bit.

They crammed a ton of stuff into one episode, and maybe it was a little too much. This didn't meet the standards of previous Castle, "Event," episodes, but it was still pretty good. I just think the whole season would have been better with Marlowe running the show. Or they could have tacked that ending on to the finale from last season (which felt a lot more like a series finale than this one did).

Castle had a great run, but it was time to go. Season 8 was clearly the weakest of the series. I still enjoyed the show (it was still entertaining and one of the more enjoyable shows on TV), but only on rare occasions did it come close to meeting the standards of the first 5 seasons.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-17-16 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, that was a dumb, tacked-on ending. Last season's finale would've been a better series closer.

I've just been watching the show occasionally the last couple seasons so I'm ok with its ending. Didn't hear about the actors' rift, though.
Old 05-17-16, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I now understand why they said they hoped that ending would never air.

You could see the staples there. So clearly was that last scene attached. But hell, even the cliffhanger would have been useless considering we knew who was coming back and who wasn't.

That being said, they were kind of stuck with doing what they did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.