Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Blindspot (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Blindspot (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 9/21/15

I liked it. Good start. Some interesting setup for the season. You could tell this Pilot was shot in the Spring because there was a billboard in Times Square of that shitty Sean Penn movie The Gunman, which premiered during that time, and bombed.

Weller is no Damien Scott, but I thought his character was pretty cool.

Really liked Jaimie Alexander. Jane Doe kind of reminds me of a female Jason Bourne. She had some pretty badass moves in that apartment complex fighting those 2 Chinese guys.

I guess they're going to incorporate crime of the week from the tattoos with the underlying mystery of Jane's past including mystery man seen in the flashbacks. Sounds good to me.
Old 09-22-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason I didn't like it was that lead guy - he acted like he didn't even want to be on this show. He had no charisma or chemistry with Jane Doe.
Old 09-22-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the scenes filmed on the streets, and I liked her background info, she was good. He not so much, a bit stiff, I hope he lightens up.

Was the case file # something that the boss did? I didn't quite pick that up.

Will def watch Ep #2
Old 09-22-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Was the case file # something that the boss did? I didn't quite pick that up.
I wasn't paying much attention to names, but someone called out her last name and it was the same as the case file.
Old 09-22-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting premise. I'm in for the next ep.
Old 09-22-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I guess they're going to incorporate crime of the week from the tattoos
Zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-22-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I didn't like this concept very much. Blindspot appears to be following NBC's standard glossy action formula. It greatly reminded me of The Blacklist, except with her mysterious amnesiac powers this time helping them solve crimes instead of Spader.

The actor from Strike Back was fine as the FBI agent. The cast isn't bad but I am not getting trapped again by one of these high-concept procedurals that turn bad when the initial mystery is solved.
Old 09-22-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I didn't like this concept very much. Blindspot appears to be following NBC's standard glossy action formula. It greatly reminded me of The Blacklist, except with her mysterious amnesiac powers this time helping them solve crimes instead of Spader.
I think that is the problem I had with it. I got sucked into the Blacklist hype, mainly because I love Spader. But I found myself for the whole first season start drifting off every episode and suddenly realizing I didn't care about the plot of the week or any of the characters. I finally gave up in season 2.

That blank feeling is how I felt last night watching Blindspot - sort of "I should be enjoying this but I'm not". I think wasting so much time on the Blacklist makes me want to cut my losses sooner with this show.
Old 09-22-15, 02:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought the tattooed girl was good in it, but it all seemed familiar what with the Bourne movies and the 2002 Fox show "John Doe" that was essentially the same thing. The premise seems limited: solve the puzzle tattoo prevent an attack or crime every week, not unlike "Person of Interest." I'm hoping for a scene when they lead guy says, "Something's about to happen! We need a clue! Quick-Take off your clothes!"
Old 09-22-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I think the reason I didn't like it was that lead guy - he acted like he didn't even want to be on this show. He had no charisma or chemistry with Jane Doe.
Yeah, I thought the actor playing the lead agent was terrible. He brought no energy or chemistry to the show at all.

I also thought some of the plot elements were pretty flimsy. They were going to Chinatown and didn't think to bring along an agent who speaks Chinese? Why were only three agents going out to search the Statue of Liberty? I may have missed something, but why was the Chinese guy supposedly asking for US intervention into his mother's imprisonment in China?

And there were way too many coincidences needed for this master plan to work out, heck FBI guy almost died in the explosion in the subway (didn't help that they spent 15 seconds discussing what to do when the timer was already under a minute).
Old 09-22-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Zzzzzzzzzzz
so blacklist + prison break (after season 1) = blindspot?
Old 09-22-15, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is the problem I had with it. I got sucked into the Blacklist hype, mainly because I love Spader. But I found myself for the whole first season start drifting off every episode and suddenly realizing I didn't care about the plot of the week or any of the characters. I finally gave up in season 2.

That blank feeling is how I felt last night watching Blindspot - sort of "I should be enjoying this but I'm not". I think wasting so much time on the Blacklist makes me want to cut my losses sooner with this show.
Thank you for perfectly encapsulating my views on this show that I couldn't articulate. You nailed it. I'm pulling the ripcord now because I already wasted my time on Blacklist, and this is already pale imitation of THAT show. James Spader hamming it up could only carry me for a season and a half. There is no one here with even a drop of his charisma (and I loved the dude from Strike Back).
Old 09-22-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot. I'll be back for more..

The ONLY thing I have a problem with is by the end of the show, they already have a file on who she is.
I feel this could have waited for a few more episodes. Te small flashback memories was fine but already having the Woman in charge have a file on her kinda soured it for me.
Old 09-22-15, 07:42 PM

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I enjoyed it a lot. I'll be back for more..

The ONLY thing I have a problem with is by the end of the show, they already have a file on who she is.
I feel this could have waited for a few more episodes. Te small flashback memories was fine but already having the Woman in charge have a file on her kinda soured it for me.
The file the head FBI woman (Bethany Mayfair) was looking at? It looked to be about her and she was worried the file number was tattooed on Jane.

Really liked the show, I'm in...
Old 09-22-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

So then I read that scene all wrong then? I hope so. I guess I missed the FBI lady name somewhere.
Old 09-22-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by malichai
Thank you for perfectly encapsulating my views on this show that I couldn't articulate. You nailed it. I'm pulling the ripcord now because I already wasted my time on Blacklist, and this is already pale imitation of THAT show. James Spader hamming it up could only carry me for a season and a half. There is no one here with even a drop of his charisma (and I loved the dude from Strike Back).
That's exactly it. There is absolutely no charisma or chemistry to be found in any capacity within the show. I realize it's a pilot, but, for the most part, the acting was remarkably stiff. From everyone.

It hit every trope in the book, and what's worse, didn't attempt to upend them in any way. It was just checking the boxes. Whereas Blacklist had Spader and levity, this one had none of it. It just felt convoluted.

One and done for me.
Old 09-22-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read this at another forum and it made me .

I need to keep my shows straight.

"The Blacklist" is the one with the good movie actor playing a mysterious guy with lots of information about future crimes in his head. He's paired with a terrible actress playing an FBI agent.

"Blindspot" is the one with the good movie actress playing a mysterious woman with lots of information about future crimes tattooed all over her body. She's paired with a terrible actor playing an FBI agent.

Both shows are filmed in a gray, washed-out, depressingly dark way.

Congratulations, NBC, you bought the same show, TWICE!
Old 09-22-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

That's okay. I like Blacklist so.......
Old 09-23-15, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I read this at another forum and it made me .
My only exposure to the FBI is when they are doing security clearance interviews on friends. My frank impression is that aren't very charismatic, so maybe these actors are playing the role perfectly.
Old 09-23-15, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Me and my fiancee agreed the male lead needs to go. Just focus on her doing Bourne type stuff and you would have a decent show. I'll be back next week, but I see this sliding too quickly into procedural, use a tattoo, solve a crime.
Old 09-23-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is getting good reviews, but every time I read the plot summary I think it sound like a cross between John Doe and Prison Break.
I loved the show, but the whole time I was watching it, I kept going "Where's the sex scene? He's supposed to have a sex scene in every episode!" :-)
Old 09-23-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That has never stopped a network from renewing a show. NBC is putting their entire promotional push behind this show. I've been seeing previews of it across different mediums for the past six months. They are hoping it is their next Blacklist.
I am utterly convinced the two shows exist in the same universe and a crossover is imminent.
Old 09-23-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it enough. The lead actor was good in Stikeback so I image he'll warm up in this show.
Old 09-23-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I liked it enough. The lead actor was good in Stikeback so I image he'll warm up in this show.
Yeah I assume that those here who said they hated Sullivan Stapleton have never seen Strike Back. He's hardly stiff in that show. But then again, his character here is nothing at all like Damien Scott. I think Stapleton just needs time to get comfortable playing this new character.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-23-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 11:57 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I love Strike Back. I thought Stapleton sucked on this. I'll probably stick with this for a few weeks, get bored by the villian of the week aspect if they go that route, and drop it. Just like The Blacklist.

The most entertaining thing for me is seeing which Strike Back alumn's NBC show will succeed (or fail).

Last edited by dex14; 09-23-15 at 12:11 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.