Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fear the Walking Dead (S1E02) -- "So Close, Yet So Far" -- 8/30/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Fear the Walking Dead (S1E02) -- "So Close, Yet So Far" -- 8/30/15

While Madison struggles to keep Nick from crippling withdrawal, Travis ventures out to find his son before the city of Los Angeles falls.

Episode 2 of 6

Week 1 was the highest rated cable series premiere ever.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/fear-the...mc-1201508698/

With Live + 3 factored in, it got 13.3M viewers and 8.5 in the demos.
Old 08-30-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Fear the Walking Dead (S1E02) -- "So Close, Yet So Far" -- 8/30/15

Haha nobody watching?

Still a pretty shitty episode but atleast it got things rolling
Old 08-30-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Much better than the pilot. It ammused me that LA with a emergency happening and he can drive anywhere.
Old 08-30-15, 10:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

*snore* ... given how graphic the violence/gore is on NBC's TV-14's rated 'Hannibal' - 'Fear' is whimpy on delivering the grue
Old 08-30-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

As I am watching ... Yeah, I'm bitching ...

Right off the bat, that was too big of a leap in logic too fast. Why did they associate "the flu" with a healthy person who has been shot and run over (twice!) rising from the dead? Why did Papa Smurf start inspecting sick boyfriend for bites?

I did like the guy on the radio talking about a "catastrophe of Biblical proportions; we are losing the best pocket passer in the league!" (Also note: the other stop on the radio dial was talking about a spike in police shootings in the last 48 hours.)

Edited: Just finished. After the slow start, now we are really jumping in. I thought we would continue the slow build. Other than my earlier complaint, pretty good ramping up.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-30-15 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
*snore* ... given how graphic the violence/gore is on NBC's TV-14's rated 'Hannibal' - 'Fear' is whimpy on delivering the grue
Budget, budget, budget.
Old 08-31-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Fat kid was stupid this episode. He seems to act like he knows about zombies and what to do, but he takes a tiny knife to a zombie fight and starts stabbing the zombie in the chest... Of course it didn't do crap, and so Ms. C saves him using a fire extinguisher. -_-

I sure hope drug-boy manages to detox and doesn't go back to drugs. I don't want to see it go on and on about him making dumb choices from being unable to break the habit.

I don't get why they don't come right out and tell the girl though whats going on so she'd stop trying to go after her boyfriend who is probably a zombie at this point.

If people would just talk and explain shit, it'd go a long ways.

Other then that, I don't really have any complaints. This episode has been fairly good imo. It's at least a bit more interesting than The Walking Dead has been for a while.
Old 08-31-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Much better than the pilot. It ammused me that LA with a emergency happening and he can drive anywhere.
Must be the same alternate LA as 24.
Old 08-31-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stupid dad should text the kids.

Also the show is totally unrealistic - people walking in LA????
Old 08-31-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was pretty clear which parts were Vancouver and which shots were East L.A. That took me a bit out of it, but then again, that's to say that it had me at all. I mean, the whole purpose of killing another black character was to get out of there with the rations... which the kid didn't even do. Ha.

Meh. Not doing it for me.
Old 08-31-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I must have missed it...how did the principal die in the first place?
Old 08-31-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Blood on his back, maybe a zombie snuck up and took a bite while he was snooping over the intercom.
Old 08-31-15, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I must have missed it...how did the principal die in the first place?
Autoerotic asphyxiation.
Old 08-31-15, 05:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So are people turning without being bit? Is that how it all starts? Like a virus? Or is it just someone already dead walks out of the morgue and then goes on a spree? I'm confused at that.
Old 08-31-15, 05:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Fat kid was stupid this episode. He seems to act like he knows about zombies and what to do, but he takes a tiny knife to a zombie fight and starts stabbing the zombie in the chest... Of course it didn't do crap, and so Ms. C saves him using a fire extinguisher. -_-
I think this is the flaw in the show (or any prequel) in that the audience is ahead of the characters, so we aren't thinking like they are thinking. If Fear the Walking Dead started before The Walking Dead, then you never would have made that comment because you wouldn't know how they kill zombies yet because its not explained or shown.

I don't get why they don't come right out and tell the girl though whats going on so she'd stop trying to go after her boyfriend who is probably a zombie at this point.

I read an interview with the creators last night, and they talk about this and this will be better explained in Episode #3. Supposedly there is some stuff from Madison's past that they will reveal as the season goes on and that is will explain why she is acting this way towards her daughter and the 'supposed' virus outbreak. They weren't specific but I think there are more to these characters then we know, so once they flesh them out alot of things will make more sense.

Atleast I'm hoping that happens or these are going to be really generic characters.....
Old 08-31-15, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
So are people turning without being bit? Is that how it all starts? Like a virus? Or is it just someone already dead walks out of the morgue and then goes on a spree? I'm confused at that.
I don't understand the entire situation unless forces are intentionally keeping the police out of the loop. Unless people are dying due to something other than zombie attacks, the zombie epidemic would have to be far along to cause all the absences at the school. I'd assume that hospitals would be under constant siege long before the general population of school kids ended up sick or dying.
Old 08-31-15, 06:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Yes, the "never to be explained" cause of all of this that "everyone has in them" has happened (airborne virus, aliens, who knows) and so now when anyone dies of natural causes or any cause, they come back as a zombie. Looks like just the U.S. averages around 2.5 million deaths a year, so almost 7,000 new zombies each day just from that.

Then of course those zombies bite people and turn them that way too. Did the pilot show that people were actually sick without being bit? I thought that it was just news reports of an "infection" that really are zombies and not people sick with a fever etc? Like the media and govt are trying to cover this up by not talking about it on the radio, the policeman hording water already, hospital actions, etc.

I thought the 2nd episode was much better and I hope the fall of civilization is shown in a much better way than it has been on The Strain.
Old 08-31-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is one of my bigger annoyances with these shows; was the same with the Dad/Boyfriend guy not telling his ex-wife or son what he saw, or the barber shop family. Everyone seems so vague about what's happening. If it were me, I'd be screaming about seeing a dead kid come back to life.
Old 08-31-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Help me out guys...the slow-motion scene where Madison is looking out her car window at the two kids in the back seat of another car with masks...that's moment is taken (i.e., stolen) from something else...a famous movie or TV show or something, and I can't pinpoint where I've seen that shot before - maybe not necessarily with kids in the backseat, but something else that implied a moment of horror/fear.

Any ideas?
Old 08-31-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

What?? 2 weeks until the next episode. I see that AMC is repeating the Pilot and this episode next week. Why?

I enjoyed this more than episode 1. Liked seeing more tension and chaos happening. I presume in that final scene the neighbor's husband turned and that's why she was being attacked.
Old 08-31-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
What?? 2 weeks until the next episode. I see that AMC is repeating the Pilot and this episode next week. Why?
Labor Day weekend. I think the remaining episodes will finish the Sunday before TWD starts.
Old 08-31-15, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Help me out guys...the slow-motion scene where Madison is looking out her car window at the two kids in the back seat of another car with masks...that's moment is taken (i.e., stolen) from something else...a famous movie or TV show or something, and I can't pinpoint where I've seen that shot before - maybe not necessarily with kids in the backseat, but something else that implied a moment of horror/fear.

Any ideas?
The Purge?
Old 08-31-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Any ideas?
You're probably thinking of The Town.

At :46

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WcXt9aUMbBk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-31-15, 05:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this is so fucking mediocre it hurts my brainspace.
Old 08-31-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Stupid dad should text the kids.

Also the show is totally unrealistic - people walking in LA????
Not that unrealistic

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.