Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mayans MC (Sons of Anarchy spinoff) ordered to series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-26-15, 10:07 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

The world of Sons of Anarchy could ride again at FX.

After years of hinting that Sons might get a spin-off, EW has learned that series creator Kurt Sutter is now in the preliminary stages of developing a new show set in the Northern California motorcycle club scene.

Details about the project are scarce. In fact, we only know one thing for certain about the proposed storyline: The project focuses on the Mayans—the Oakland-based Hispanic MC gang that had quite a rocky history with SAMCRO across seven seasons. In the original series, the Mayans run heroin factories and are also involved in prostitution. Their cuts bear the legend “Los Asesinos de Dios”—Assassins of God.

Sutter had previously teased the idea of doing an SoA prequel as recently as last month at Comic-Con, possibly as a limited series. FX won’t officially confirm whether the new series will be a prequel or not. Either way, creating a new drama set in the SoA-verse makes plenty of sense for FX as Sons ranks as the most popular show in the network’s history. Last December’s Sons finale was seen by a whopping 9.2 million viewers.

Sutter will executive produce the as-yet-untitled project, and is currently hunting for a showrunner to handle the Mayan’s day-to-day management. Sutter will remain focused on running his upcoming medieval drama The Bastard Executioner, which premieres Tuesday, Sept. 15 (and stars Lee Jones, Stephen Moyer, Katey Sagal and Ed Sheeran). Sutter also wrote the screenplay for the feature film Southpaw starring Jake Gyllenhaal, which was released last month.

The Mayans project would be produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/26...spinoff-mayans
Old 08-26-15, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Mayans MC (Sons of Anarchy spinoff) ordered to series

Figures. Will there be a series for each gang?
Old 08-26-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I still think FX messed up by not having a shared "TV Universe" long before Marvel did it with movies. A lot of people thought that was what they originally intended with SOA by including the 1-9ers into the show. It would have been neat for The Shield, Justified, and SOA to have crossovers.

Instead we a lot of cameos on SOA.
Old 08-26-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Well I'd be interested in this perhaps. The Mayans were one of the more interesting MC's.
Maybe it won't be seven seasons of trying to end the MC like SoA was.
Old 08-26-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If Katey Sagal finds a way to get cast in this, then hell no. Otherwise I'll probably watch it.
Old 08-26-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm sure I'll watch it at some point, but I hope it's more like Season One of SOA, and not so much like the rest. Maybe someone can come up with more varied outbursts than "Jesus Christ" over and over again.

I would also like to request Tig and Happy to have semi-regular guest appearances.
Old 08-26-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Jesus Cristo"

I just hope the conflicted lead character finds a way to get the Mayans out of the gun heroine trade and is able to take the club in a new direction.

All kidding aside it could be good if it's more like the early seasons of SOA where it was a local scene and interaction with other MC's.
Old 08-26-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Kurt Sutter, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. No fucking way. I'm done with that man and his absurd shows.
Old 08-27-15, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Kurt Sutter, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. No fucking way. I'm done with that man and his absurd shows.
So you're not even going to give The Bastard Executioner a chance? It could be a decent show.
Old 08-27-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
So you're not even going to give The Bastard Executioner a chance? It could be a decent show.
He doesn't like period dramas, so that's off the table for him IIRC. I'm betting that most here will have little interest in it because it's a medieval times period drama.

This "spinoff" is probably a year or 2 away from a pilot even being filmed, so I'm not eagerly anticipating it right now.
Old 08-27-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
Nope. Only show with a similar theme I watch is Game if Thrones. No interest in Bastard Executioner.
Old 08-27-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, I watched six seasons more than I should have of this dreck. Not doing it again.
Old 08-27-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for the spanish montage songs.
Old 08-28-15, 04:38 PM

Nope. Only show with a similar theme I watch is Game if Thrones. No interest in Bastard Executioner.
I'm going to give it a go. But then I like stories from that period. It was an interesting time, if done properly.
Old 08-29-15, 03:47 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd prefer some kind of Shield/SOA combined spin off
Old 08-29-15, 04:11 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was frustated as everyone else about Sutter's writing in SOA/excessive amount of screentime given to his wife, but the bottom line, despite that, was still an entertaining show
Old 08-29-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sons was great, until it wasn't. First 2 seasons were riveting.
Old 08-29-15, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when a baby is inevitably kidnapped on the show, odds are pretty good he will be named Jesus so there's that.

i hope they keep having the mysterious homeless lady with a horse blanket wandering around.

there is no way Katy Sagal doesn't show up in this. they will hang a lampshade on it by saying she looks like gemma, and then proceed like nothing happened. maybe the mayans hang out in a dive bar and she is the weird chick playing guitar on stage for no reason. at some point a conway twitty impersonator will appear, and the circle will be complete.
Old 08-29-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
when a baby is inevitably kidnapped on the show, odds are pretty good he will be named Jesus so there's that.

i hope they keep having the mysterious homeless lady with a horse blanket wandering around.

there is no way Katy Sagal doesn't show up in this. they will hang a lampshade on it by saying she looks like gemma, and then proceed like nothing happened. maybe the mayans hang out in a dive bar and she is the weird chick playing guitar on stage for no reason. at some point a conway twitty impersonator will appear, and the circle will be complete.
I'm convinced their will be a prequel series revolving the first 9 simply on the basis of working Sagal back in.
Old 08-30-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It might be interesting to see what gang is dumb enough and bad enough shots for the Mayans to get over on every week.
Old 09-09-15, 01:02 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter has dropped an intriguing detail about his planned Mayans spinoff.

Sutter was chatting with Deadline while promoting his upcoming FX series The Bastard Executioner when he was asked about the new project, which EW first reported last month.

All that’s been confirmed by FX so far is that Sutter is developing a spinoff to his hit biker gang series that chronicles the Mayans motorcycle club. But Sutter now adds the Mayans project will be a contemporary story—not a prequel—and could include some characters from the original series (among the few that are still alive, presumably).

“It’s the same [biker] subculture, but it’d be interesting to see the influences of [Hispanic] culture and how it impacts the subculture we already understand,” Sutter said. “I would do a contemporary piece, not a prequel, and place it far enough away from Northern California that it wouldn’t step on the mythology that’s already been told. It doesn’t mean that there couldn’t be some cool, ironic crossovers with familiar characters as the series progressed. I wouldn’t want to set it too close to the world we already know, and step on that … My intent is, over the hiatus I’ll initiate a script for the pilot and take it from there.”

The long-rumored SoA prequel is still possible too, Sutter added. That story is envisioned as a limited series that would follow Jax’ father John Teller and a young Piney (played by William Lucking in SoA) as they meet during the Vietnam War, return home and then establish SAMCO.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/09...mayans-spinoff
Old 09-09-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

"Cool, ironic crossovers...."

Old 09-09-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Watch the History Channel's "Vikings". Seriously. Much better than I ever thought it would be, and it has kept up the pace. Can't wait for the fourth season.
Old 09-09-15, 11:54 PM

It being contemporary and the potential for Sutter to go off the rails to use this as a self congratulatory show to relive his SOA glory makes this a whole lot less interesting. I don't believe for a second he will keep this distinct from the SOA "mythology" and that he's already thinking about crossovers (Venus Van Damn? Marilyn Manson?) gives me pause this will be another pure shock value show like SOA devolved into.

Also I'd second the Vikings recommendation - an amazing show with fantastic action sequences and great characters and plotlines.
Old 01-16-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts
Untitled Mayans Project (FX) -- Sons of Anarchy spinoff in development

Not many details about this project yet. But, I figured something should be started for whenever more stuff starts dropping.

This story is from today:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/amer...ff-1201681539/

“Sons of Anarchy” Spinoff

John Landgraf said Sutter is “working on an idea for a new show” for FX, and he’s starting to re-engage with the “Sons of Anarchy” spinoff that has been gestating for a while. Sutter is not expected to write or serve as showrunner on the spinoff, which would focus on the Mayans motorcycle crew and would be set in the Northern California motorcycle club scene.

Following “Bastard Executioner,” Landgraf suggested that Sutter “take time off to rest,” but Sutter told Landgraf he couldn’t stop writing. “He’ll be coming to me soon,’ the exec said.

This is from November:

Sutter, who is under an overall deal at Fox 21 parent 20th Century Fox TV, won’t be out of a job long. He’ll soon start the process of hiring a Latino showrunner who’ll spearhead the Sons spinoff that focuses on the Mayan biker club.
http://deadline.com/2015/11/bastard-...an-1201628484/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.