TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Falling Skies (S5E08) -- "Stalag 14th Virginia" -- 8/16/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-15, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Falling Skies (S5E08) -- "Stalag 14th Virginia" -- 8/16/15

"Stalag 14th Virginia" - Sunday, August 16, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-14-LV

Weaver discovers a shocking truth about an old friend and must decide how to best protect the 2nd Mass. Maggie and Isabella are forced to work together, while the remainder of the 2nd Mass attempts an escape led by Tom.

Directed by Noah Wyle

Written by Jack Kenny

Created by Robert Rodat
Episode 8 of 10
Old 08-17-15, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Falling Skies (S5E08) -- "Stalag 14th Virginia" -- 8/16/15

Okay, so... hi, I have a question. I'm very much serious, this is neither trolling or sarcasm in critique (not yet, anyways.)

Can someone *please* explain to me how *this* season is anything other than ludicrous insanities of the highest order? I've stuck with this show since the beginning, despite its many faults, it always worked just enough I was able to sit back and ignore the illogical aspects.

This, however...?!?!?! What *is* this? Because lemme see if I've got it right:

Big bad aliens travel the galaxy. They come across Earth and invade, as they've done to numerous other worlds with sentient beings.

This means two things: A. They've got crazy technologies they have developed, far surpassing our own. B. They've also acquired all the tech *and* warm bodies of the worlds they conquered.

They thus not only have incredible air superiority over us, but indeed, all of space itself superiority over humans.

But fine, even though they enslaved the bulk of us, we fight back even so. Winning a few battles here and there, too.

Now, the "end" is coming. Are we all supposed to be high out of our minds while watching this? My point of contention? This stupid, two episodes wasted on the not-so-good 'Virginians'...!

Did the show not mention said "company" had a fighting force numbering in the... 40s?!?!? These morons i've been watching for years are now so pathetic that only a goddamned miracle saves them from... less than four dozen of their own kind, with no technological advantage whatsoever?!

Oh, wait... and then, the *biggest* threat forthcoming, not some alien queen, but rather a deranged psychopathic *human* with a hardcore grudge against Mason, who's really got a loyal group of... two or three other dudes?!?

And this is what's supposed to (read: going to) take down an incomprehensibly advanced alien invasive force that's already won, by and large, and possesses numbers in what surely must be the billions and billions?

What the what the?! So really now, what have I missed? Because I've got to be missing something... there's no way a staff of writers could themselves be that nuts, right?
Old 08-17-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The show has been a train wreck since season one. I checked out on this last season because I had no faith the people behind the show could put anything coherent together.

It has had its moments but usually those were accidents more than anything by planned design. Did Maggie finally pick one of Tom's sons or has that love triangle been left hanging?
Old 08-17-15, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show has been a train wreck since season one. I checked out on this last season because I had no faith the people behind the show could put anything coherent together.

It has had its moments but usually those were accidents more than anything by planned design. Did Maggie finally pick one of Tom's sons or has that love triangle been left hanging?
I suppose this rather provides an answer to my own question, but this is indeed such a train wreck that I don't even know how to answer yours...

Maggie has had the spikes removed, miraculously, because she couldn't handle the compulsion to be with Ben. During this time, however, as the elder son was kidnapped by an off-the-rails Pope for revenge against Tom? He picks up some other chick, bringing her back with him when he makes his miraculous return.

So Maggie definitely isn't with Ben (I don't think), but it seems Hal is going with the new chick right now (I think) - and Maggie knows all about it (Maggie even says to the new gal that, "I'd love to be in the room when you tell Hal all about your hardcore feminist outlook on life" (paraphrasing, of course).

Long story short...? If it's about specific plot points regarding this show, just don't ask.
Old 08-17-15, 04:04 PM

This show is a lot like The Following - you really have to embrace the imbecility to enjoy it.
Old 08-17-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, don't forget that the Volm had a HUGE influence on the outcome of the war. We didn't see a lot of it, but without them I don't think the humans are in the position they're in right now.

Remember, the Volm pretty much said to the humans "We got this. Go live happy, oblivious lives in South America."
Old 08-17-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't get why they spent so much time with side-plots this season if it was meant to be the last.

We've now got just two episodes left and they haven't even began the big showdown against the Aspheni.
Old 08-18-15, 10:26 AM

I'm starting to think that the show will not have a resolution. Maybe the decision to end the show was made after the season was already in production.
Old 08-18-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

They sure are wasting a lot of time.

Yeah, if it was not for the Volm and whatever this next big step will be to stop them the aspheni would likely hardly notice anything they have done.
Old 08-19-15, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree regarding the time-wasting especially the Pope (papal ) episodes. However, this past one was surprisingly tense.
Old 08-19-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Yep, and with only 2 episodes left, and the Pope storyline still to be dealt with, it's hard to imagine a satisfying conclusion in favour of the human race.

Perhaps they'll be so bold as to have a terribly unhappy ending.