Reload this Page >

True Detective (S2E08) -- Season Finale -- "Omega Station" -- 8/9/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (S2E08) -- Season Finale -- "Omega Station" -- 8/9/15

Old 08-30-15, 12:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: True Detective (S2E08) -- Season Finale -- "Omega Station" -- 8/9/15

Originally Posted by slop101
Another reason why season one destroys season two...

hahaha yup.

I was hoping for some nudity from either Rachel McAdams, Agnes Olech, Ashley Hinshaw, or Courtney Halverson, but no dice haha.

Season one had Daddarrio and Lili Simmons. Tough to follow up lol.
Old 08-30-15, 01:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking, as a stand alone, season 2 was fairly good. But once you compare it to the awesomeness of season 1, it definitely falls flat.
Old 11-17-15, 03:56 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

HBO has inked an overall deal with “True Detective” creator Nic Pizzolatto through 2018, Variety has learned. Under the new pact, a number of new projects from Pizzolatto are being considered, including future installments of “True Detective,” though a third season is still not a sure thing.

However, the deal paves the way for a go-ahead decision for another season of “True Detective.” Sources say HBO has been looking to make a change in the way the show is run, given the critical response to the second season, and has presented Pizzolatto with a number of options. Those options include: him working with a staff of writers, having a new showrunner come in, as well as him going it alone again. In all scenarios, he would remain an exec producer.

Sources say HBO has been pressing Pizzolatto for an answer so they can move forward with production on the show.

The breakout season of “True Detective,” starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, quickly garnered critical acclaim and become a pop culture phenomenon, earning Emmy nominations for outstanding drama series, writing and lead actor for both McConaughey and Harrelson.

The sophomore season, starring Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams, has been reviewed as disappointing, slammed by both critics and fans.

“Those expecting anything approaching the magic conjured by the original Matthew McConaughey-Woody Harrelson pairing should immediately temper their enthusiasm for ‘True Detective’s’ second season, Variety‘s Brian Lowry said in his Season 2 review. “Although generally watchable, the inspiration that turned the first into an obsession for many seems to have drained out of writer Nic Pizzolatto’s prose, at least three hours into this eight-episode run.”

Despite less-than-stellar reception, “True Detective’s second run ended up averaging more same-night viewers (2.61 million) than Season 1 (2.33 million), according to Nielsen. But that was due to a big tune-in for the first couple of weeks of Season 2. The finale of the second season averaged 2.71 million, while the conclusion of the first drew a series-best 3.52 million, according to Nielsen.

In multi-platform gross viewing, an estimated 11.9 million viewers watched Season 1 on a weekly basis, according to HBO, while 11.3 million watched Season 2, indicating that viewers seemed more passionate about the original installment.

“I am thrilled to continue our relationship with Nic, as he is one of the most exceptionally talented writers and producers working today,” said Michael Lombardo, president of HBO programming. “I look forward to seeing where his unique creative vision will take us next.”

Pizzolatto has been under an overall deal with the premium cabler since 2014, the year “True Detective” debuted.
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/true...18-1201642681/
Old 11-17-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I hope he brings in some other writers...that would really help him and any potential Season 3.
Old 11-17-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

HBO owns the True Detective property. They can easily move forward without Pizzolatto and hire a new showrunner to oversee a 3rd season. There's probably 20 TV showrunners that would kill to have this job. They don't really need to wait for an answer from him.
Old 11-17-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

The secret weapon of season 1 was director Cary Fukunaga who directed all 8 episodes. They'd be wise to hire a talented director with a singular vision to direct every episode in one season.
Old 11-19-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first season had a sense of cohesion; not only one showrunner, but every Episode flowed together like a novel, a single director and DP. That's pretty rare in TV.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-19-15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 03:34 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

The second season left such a sour taste in my mouth that I'm not eager to return to this show anytime soon. Probably the biggest drop in quality from season to season for any show in recent memory for me.

Will see how this plays out. Agreed that a single visionary team will be helpful. Pizzolatto can use some writing help.
Old 04-24-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

The current "HBO is awesome!" promo that plays before everything on HBO Now seems to say that the app features "every episode" of current shows like Game of Thrones Silicone Valley and "the complete series" of finished shows like Rome.

For True Detective is says "the complete series." So maybe we're not getting a season 3.
Old 04-24-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
For True Detective is says "the complete series." So maybe we're not getting a season 3.
I noticed that as well... Looks like it's done.
Old 04-24-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

That would be a shame. I actually enjoyed season two, even if it wasn't as good as the first, and would have liked to see the show continue.
Old 04-24-16, 10:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Same here, I thought Season 2 was okay. That should have been season 1, then the McConaughey/Harrelson one should have been season 2. That would have guaranteed a season 3.
Old 05-25-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

No season 3

Were you wondering what sort of manly men would get into dark and twisted trouble in the third season of True Detective? If so, we've got bad news for you: According to a THR profile of new HBO programming head Casey Bloys, a third season of the crime anthology series is probably not on the menu. More likely, sources say, is a different series from creator Nic Pizzolatto, who signed an exclusive deal with HBO last fall. The news is not incredibly surprising — even at the height of True D mania, Pizzolatto said he couldn't imagine making more than three seasons of the show. There's no word on what Pizzolatto's other ideas could be, but knowing what happened in season two, a Hollywood satire is probably out of the question.
Link
Old 05-26-16, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This sucks. I'm sick of the constant hyperbole and negativity of internet communities and critics treating every show that fails to live up to personal expectations as an abomination that should never have been made. Was True Detective 2.0 as good as the first season? No, but it was a very challenging a compelling season of television. Unfortunately the internet decided it should be decried and abolished after a couple of episodes and thus, fans of the series will never see it continue.
Old 05-26-16, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
This sucks. I'm sick of the constant hyperbole and negativity of internet communities and critics treating every show that fails to live up to personal expectations as an abomination that should never have been made. Was True Detective 2.0 as good as the first season? No, but it was a very challenging a compelling season of television. Unfortunately the internet decided it should be decried and abolished after a couple of episodes and thus, fans of the series will never see it continue.
Or most people just disagree with you. Season 2 really was bad. Almost no story and a piss-poor ending that made me feel like I wasted my time.
Old 05-26-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Or most people just disagree with you. Season 2 really was bad. Almost no story and a piss-poor ending that made me feel like I wasted my time.
Obviously most people disagreed with me. I still think online criticism has turned into an atmosphere of vitriol, and we're choking ourselves into obsolescence with our own negativity.
Old 05-26-16, 08:07 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from season 2, but still would have liked for the creative team to have a chance to redeem themselves and end on a higher note. Too bad they won't get that opportunity.
Old 05-26-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Obviously most people disagreed with me. I still think online criticism has turned into an atmosphere of vitriol, and we're choking ourselves into obsolescence with our own negativity.
I definitely agree with you - to the point that I have been distancing myself from it.

I will say that season 2 as a whole isn't that strong but it's still pretty solid and as someone has mentioned....as a stand alone it's pretty good. I got bored with the last couple of episodes but as a whole, it definitely stands on its own - I don't think it should be compared to season one at all.

I will even go as far to say that in some areas, season 2 is better than the first.
Old 05-26-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I agree. I actually kind of enjoyed season 2, though I'm a big fan of Rachel McAdams and she, along with Farrell, had some great scenes.
Old 05-26-16, 08:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Merely cancelling the show is not enough. HBO should burn the Season 2 negatives, bury them out in the woods, and then dance about naked on the grave.
Old 05-26-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't think S2 was as bad as people made it out to be, but yeah the story was not good. I did enjoy the atmosphere and performances though. It's disappointing there won't be a third season.
Old 05-26-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Season 2 let my wife and I down so badly after season 1 that I doubt we would have watched a season 3 unless there were overwhelmingly positive reviews for it.
Old 05-26-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not heartbroken over this. I thought season one was incredibly overrated and I don't think season two was nearly as bad as people make it out to be( but it was still some of the most depressing television I've seen in the past decade).
Old 05-26-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

The thing is with a show like this where the seasons don't tie together and have new casts and storylines it shouldn't really matter that much if a season was perceived as bad. The second season was pretty forgettable and nowhere near as good as the first but it was also pretty hard to follow when the first was so strong.
Old 05-26-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.