Reload this Page >

True Detective (S2E08) -- Season Finale -- "Omega Station" -- 8/9/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (S2E08) -- Season Finale -- "Omega Station" -- 8/9/15

Old 08-12-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: True Detective (S2E08) -- Season Finale -- "Omega Station" -- 8/9/15

Being an Orange County resident, I thought this was kinda' funny...

Anaheim's ARTIC Station Finally Finds Crowds... as Setting in True Detective Finale

Apologies for the tardiness in this insight, but I've been in the hills of Kentucky doing... something. But as people have noted, Anaheim's much-maligned ARTIC bus and train station had an important cameo in the season finale of HBO's True Detective. We won't give away the ending, but let's just say it's as ludicrous as the rest of the season (and while we're at it: the original True Detective was even more ludicrous, and saved only by the women--think about it!)

What was remarkable about ARTIC's cameo, of course, is that it distorted reality. The station is NEVER that busy--not even close. Ridership figures that its proponents promised would be reached in its first year are nowhere near that level. Not a single restaurant has been opened. It's deader than one, or maybe two, or maybe three of the main characters in True Detective--wait, did we give away too much?

ARTIC, of course, has been widely ridiculed by anyone who isn't part of Anaheim's ruling class or has a hard-on for high-speed rail. An enterprising reporters--hey, Clam: where are you?--should dig up the contract to see how much money Anaheim got out of the deal, no? And speaking of good journalism: the Orange County Register's breathless cheering-on of the cameo shows how little institutional knowledge remains at the paper. The episode also had a cameo for the Santa Ana train station [the scene with Frank & his wife] (which actually is as busy as it was depicted), but the Reg must've forgotten that it appeared in Rain Man while listing some of the films that Hollywood has shot in OC over the decades. Really, Reg editors (we're going to spare reporter Jenna L. Jones here, because she's obviously a newbie): it's more important to note that the Orange Circle appeared in That Thing You Do! instead of Rain Man. Fuck, even the Santa Ana train station's Wikipedia page has that factoid... *******S!
*(and I just found out that this forum automatically edits out "p*endejo" - kinda' weird, no?)
Old 08-12-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

*(and I just found out that this forum automatically edits out "p*endejo" - kinda' weird, no?)
Did Gustavo write that? He's a jerk.
Old 08-12-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Did Gustavo write that? He's a jerk.
Yes, and yes.
Old 08-12-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

That reminds me of Lost where they used the Honolulu Convention Center as a stand-in for Sydney Airport. It was probably the only time, save the building opening night party, that it's been busy and probably hasn't been used since.
Old 08-12-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

A huge meh. This season in general. Story wasn't interesting in the least. Bad dialogue throughout. Ray and Frank's deaths were completely avoidable, especially Frank.

I'll give another season a shot, but going in with considerably lower expectations.
Old 08-12-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually, he objected to the guy taking the jacket because he had the $3 Million diamond in his pocket. But the show didn't make that very clear.
You said a mouthful there.....that about sums up S2.
Old 08-13-15, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I heard about the filming from my friend. Had no idea where they did the filming. I didn't even know the train station was finally open. I don't remember any big announcements or posts or anything. Seems pretty strange...
Old 08-13-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Actually, he objected to the guy taking the jacket because he had the $3million diamond in his pocket. But the show didn't make that very clear.
That could not have been any clearer even if they had a big red arrow on the screen pointing to the diamonds in his pocket.

A question to all that had difficulty "following"...How did you watch it? With or without distractions? This is a show that demands your attention to details. JUST like the last season. Frankly I am stunned at how many found this so difficult to follow. The comparison to last season? I have just as many issues with last season as with this season. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy both. This season finale is way stronger than last seasons. Which was IMHO horrible and should have ended with Rust
Spoiler:
dead
not the redemption one we got.
Old 08-13-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that it's a story that demands attention and that season 1 was the same way. The Wire was also like that.

The reason I didn't have trouble following the Wire or TD season 1 was because those kept me engaged with good storytelling. They gave me a reason to stay attentive. With season 2, between the bad writing and the poor storytelling, it was a lot easier for my mind to wander. If you're going to make every scene important to the overall story then every scene needs to be engaging.
Old 08-13-15, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S3 cast revealed:
Spoiler:

Old 08-13-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
How could you go into a season 2 of a show thread without expecting to hear at least something about season 1? I mean, I know it's anthology based... but.. wha?
I expected to read the comments how people enjoyed season 1 to season 2, but I didn't expect to comments about the specifics because they are independent of each other and the storyline is not linked. This isn't a season 1thread and season 2 has nothing to do with it.
Old 08-13-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Overall, it actually didn't rate horribly with critics that gave it the equal of 2.5 / 4 or 3 out of 5 ratings from ep to ep.
Old 08-14-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is that I can look at Kelly Reillys cleavage all day
Old 08-16-15, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That could not have been any clearer even if they had a big red arrow on the screen pointing to the diamonds in his pocket.

A question to all that had difficulty "following"...How did you watch it? With or without distractions? This is a show that demands your attention to details. JUST like the last season. Frankly I am stunned at how many found this so difficult to follow. The comparison to last season? I have just as many issues with last season as with this season. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy both. This season finale is way stronger than last seasons. Which was IMHO horrible and should have ended with Rust
Spoiler:
dead
not the redemption one we got.
I just watched 5 episodes over the course of the last 3 days. I had heard a lot of criticism of this season, but had avoided details. My verdict is pretty much the same as d2cheer's above. I think Season 1 was overrated and this season underrated. I did like Season 1 better overall, but I think this season was close.

Quite frankly, the two seasons strike me as very similar. At core, these are both, on the surface, very straightforward detective stories with lots of red herrings, and digging deeper, they are character studies in the very flawed detectives who get thrust into the middle of things.

Now, if you don't like the story or the characters this season, that's your prerogative. But I honestly feel like Season 1 was hyped into some sort of artistic tour de force, and when all was said and done, it didn't really live up to the hype. But rather than admit Season 1 was over-hyped, and when all was said and done, it wasn't some transformative show on the level of Breaking Bad or the Wire, everyone is backlashing against Season 2, which is really more of the same. Just my opinion. Anyway, I'm glad I watched it and thought it was very well done.
Old 08-16-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Season One had real stakes : catching a monster who kidnaps and rapes and tortures children. There was a ticking clock of urgency. Season Two was...what exactly? Find out who killed the guy who was planning on ripping off a scumbag former/current club owner, so you can then put them on a bus to Seattle? I wasn't super-emotionally invested in this story's eventual outcome.

Besides the amazing performances in Season One (and both were fantastic ), I really liked the dual time-line. It explored how the choices we make have real consequences that affect many people and can't be undone. Seeing the actions and the results at essentially the same time really drove that concept home for me and I think I really missed that framework this season. I think it was the most under-appreciated aspect of the first season.
Old 08-17-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I think Season 1 was overrated and this season underrated. I did like Season 1 better overall, but I think this season was close.
That's insane. First season's tracking shot alone was better than the entirety of season 2. Besides MUCH better writing, S1 had a much more talented director than any of the ones working on S2 doing the whole thing, which adds immeasurably to the experience, making it more cohesive. S2 felt like the hodgepodge that it was.
Old 08-17-15, 11:54 AM
Suspended

That's insane. First season's tracking shot alone was better than the entirety of season 2. Besides MUCH better writing, S1 had a much more talented director than any of the ones working on S2 doing the whole thing, which adds immeasurably to the experience, making it more cohesive. S2 felt like the hodgepodge that it was.
That tracking shot was amazing, but it was 15 minutes out of an 8-hour season. I really enjoyed Season 1, but the things I enjoyed about Season 1 -- watching these tortured souls try to get to the bottom of a crime while slowly reconciling the issues in their own life -- were very much present in Season 2.

Put differently, I loved watching Ray and Ani's arcs just as much as I enjoyed Colhe's and Hart's. I think Cohle was a more flamboyant character, and in many ways that made him more interesting to watch scene to scene, but at the end of the day, I don't think that makes him a better character, nor do I think it necessarily makes season one a better show than season two.
Old 08-17-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The characters were definitely not too much better/worse between seasons, just the craft of creating and telling the story (again, not too big a difference in story quality), mostly due to the far superior directing and editing of the first season is what made it special.
Old 08-17-15, 04:54 PM
Suspended

The characters were definitely not too much better/worse between seasons, just the craft of creating and telling the story (again, not too big a difference in story quality), mostly due to the far superior directing and editing of the first season is what made it special.
I agree that the Season 1 direction was better, and perhaps the focus on two characters instead of four made for a more focused experience. I just don't think the difference was great enough that I'm willing to proclaim Season 1 a masterpiece (I think it was probably an A- show) and Season 2 a failure (I'd give it a B/B+).
Old 08-17-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jdslater1
All I know is that I can look at Kelly Reillys cleavage all day
Talk about the biggest fucking tease of all season.
Old 08-17-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another reason why season one destroys season two...

Spoiler:
Old 08-18-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reason why season one destroys season two...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
alex daddario's clit/end of thread
Old 08-19-15, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I agree that the Season 1 direction was better, and perhaps the focus on two characters instead of four made for a more focused experience. I just don't think the difference was great enough that I'm willing to proclaim Season 1 a masterpiece (I think it was probably an A- show) and Season 2 a failure (I'd give it a B/B+).
I concur. To me season one was strong with two outstanding performanmces by the leads and solid supporting cast, yet the season was terribly overrated. I'd give it a an A-/B+. Season two was more difficult to follow given the amount of characters and names used only a few times but had strong performances a few leads and mediocre for the other two, far from being a disaster, I'd give it a B-.
Old 08-19-15, 03:04 PM

It's over. This thread needs to die. Much to Blue's dismay.
Old 08-19-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
It's over. This thread needs to die. Much to Blue's dismay.
I haven't said anything since saying Gustavo is a jerk, but thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.