Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mr. Robinson (NBC) - Series Thread - premieres 8/5/15 - S: Craig Robinson

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-05-15, 05:26 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

As lead singer and keyboardist of the funk band Nasty Delicious, Craig (Craig Robinson, "The Office") knows a thing or two about working the crowd, but his day job is where he really makes the grade. Every struggling artist knows the drill: You've got to pay the bills while you wait for that big break. So when Craig finds himself short on cash, he takes a job as a substitute high school music teacher. It's an easy gig, right? Yet when he realizes that the kids think his class is an easy A, Craig's moved to inspire his students. The school principal (Peri Gilpin, "Frasier") believes that rules were made to be strictly upheld. She's none too fond of Craig's unorthodox teaching style, or his crush on the pretty English teacher (recurring guest star Meagan Good, "Think Like a Man"). It's a constant struggle for Craig, having one foot in the music world with his band, Nasty Delicious, and having one foot in the teaching world. But if Craig wants to get the girl of his dreams and teach these kids the joys of music, he'll have to buckle down, shape up and get the funk out. The cast also includes Ben Koldyke, Amandla Stenberg, Brandon T. Jackson, Spencer Grammer and Tim Bagley. Writers Mark Cullen & Robb Cullen ("Back in the Game," "Lucky") serve as executive producers with Howard Klein ("Parks and Recreation"), Mark Schulman ("Chelsea Lately") and Andy Ackerman ("Seinfeld"). "Mr. Robinson" is a production of Universal Television and 3 Arts Entertainment.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Amandla Stenberg as Haley
· Ben Koldyke as Jimmy
· Brandon T. Jackson as Ben
· Craig Robinson as Craig Robinson
· Meagan Good as Victoria Wavers
· Peri Gilpin as Principal Taylor
· Spencer Grammer as Ashleigh Willows
· Tim Bagley as Supervisor Dalton

RECURRING/PREVIOUS CAST INFORMATION:
· Amanda Lund as Elizabeth Dravecky
· Jane Adams as Principal Taylor (Originally Cast)
· Jean Smart as Principal Taylor
· Larenz Tate as Kevin Rice
· Lenora Crichlow as Victoria Wavers (Second Pilot)

CREW INFORMATION:
· Craig Robinson as PROD
· Gabe Miller as EP (Pilot)
· Greg Daniels as EP (Pilot)
· Howard Klein as EP
· Jonathan Green as EP (Pilot)
· Mark Cullen as CRTR/EP
· Mark Schulman as EP
· Owen Ellickson as CRTR/EP (Pilot)
· Rob Cullen as CRTR/EP
· Steve Pink as DIR (Pilot)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iqmi2jvnk3w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
6 episode season.

NBC will air back-to-back episodes of Mr. Robinson, starring Office alum Craig Robinson, at 9 p.m. for three weeks starting 8/5, and then air three weeks of back-to-back episodes of The Carmichael Show in the same time slot, starting 8/26
Old 08-05-15, 07:41 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
Re: Mr. Robinson (NBC) - Series Thread - premieres 8/5/15 - S: Craig Robinson

NBC sent out all six episodes of “Mr. Robinson,” which is puzzling, because it’s one of those shows that can be assessed after roughly 10 minutes. Craig Robinson (“The Office”) plays Craig Robinson, the lead singer-keyboardist for a funk band called Nasty Delicious, who croons suggestive tunes to excessively appreciative extras in a small-club setting, and — in a demographically desirable plot twist — teaches music to high school kids. The resulting sitcom doesn’t live up (or down) to either half of the band’s name, and seems destined to test how fast people can operate the remote after “America’s Got Talent.”
http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/m...dy-1201555421/
Old 08-05-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

I haven't heard too many good things about this. The Pilot was re-shot and recast and changed from single camera to multi camera studio. Also this was originally supposed to air midseason last season, but delayed because of the re-shoot. Sounds like a train wreck for only a 6 episode season.
Old 08-05-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow -- the tracks never usually bother me... but this laughtrack is worse than Saved by the Bell
Old 08-05-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laughtrack? I'm out.
Old 08-05-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Craig Robinson and watched this and didn't care for the two episodes. I see that Lenora Crichlow was in the previous cast. Crichlow hasn't had any success on American TV. She was on a canned ABC show and the canned A to Z.

NBC has been having trouble with comedy shows for the past several years. But, this year, it's been really awful and odd. They sold Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to Neftlix and that show ended up being a critical hit that received Emmy nominations. Meanwhile, NBC aired that awful sitcom, One Big Happy for six episodes, this past spring and that got canned. There was also, the previously mentioned A to Z and Marry Me which also flopped.
Old 08-06-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

guess this is a knock off of The Steve Harvey Show from back in the late 1990s... Craig Robinson is a funny guy but he is really held back by the show being on network tv..

I did not find it horrible but it's not something I feel I need to tune into either..
Old 08-06-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

No laughs & not a single character worth caring about.
Old 08-07-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
guess this is a knock off of The Steve Harvey Show from back in the late 1990s... Craig Robinson is a funny guy but he is really held back by the show being on network tv..

I did not find it horrible but it's not something I feel I need to tune into either..
Yeah, he would probably do better on FX or Comedy Central.
Old 08-21-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

The ratings were ok and there is a chance it might come back but NBC will wait until the Carmichaels finishes its run and decide the fate of both shows.
Old 08-21-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I watched the pilot for free on XBOX and I only got a few minutes in before turning it off. I love Craig and I'm happy to see Perri Gilpin back on tv but what I saw of the show was kinda lame.

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
. Craig Robinson is a funny guy but he is really held back by the show being on network tv..
That's what I was feelin'.
Old 08-22-15, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The ratings were ok and there is a chance it might come back but NBC will wait until the Carmichaels finishes its run and decide the fate of both shows.
Link to where NBC stated that?