Reload this Page >

True Detective (S2E07) -- "Black Maps and Motel Rooms" -- 8/2/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (S2E07) -- "Black Maps and Motel Rooms" -- 8/2/15

Old 08-06-15, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Re: True Detective (S2E07) -- "Black Maps and Motel Rooms" -- 8/2/15

IMO the difference is last season those convoluted parts were involving, so it was obvious but less distracting. When they happen and you don't give a shit about what's happening, it tends to be more frustrating.
Old 08-06-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I do find it funny that many seem to roll their eyes at some of the moments in this season. Must not have watched last season as there were just as many. It is funny how that is overlooked when you dissect it. There was just as much ridiculously over-written and convoluted parts to last season as well. Oh but that seems to be sacred ground.

IMHO they are both about equal in quality and stupidity.
The parts that I'm rolling my eyes about in this season are parts that seem to be used in almost every movie/tv show, etc.. Just super lazy..

I guess when someone mentioned the wet paint... That is a good example of "Come-on.." but at the time it wasn't like these "Guy comes up from tunnels and dude is standing there waiting for him.."..

Know what I mean?

And for the guy who is like "Why continue watching!?" Well, because I LOVED season 1 and like others have said, I'm just hoping it would turn around.. Last episode was really good (sans the dumb ending)..
Old 08-06-15, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You open a beer straight from the fridge and it's a hot mess. Letting it set to get to room temp will reveal a lot. Then after that, well, you're already half done, may as well kill it all.

Besides, why the fuck are you criticizing our time management when you're pissing away an equal amount of time bitching about the bitching? Take a walk, go to the local CVS for those strange flavored chips. Come on, man. Use your own time better. Half of the time you post the second post of a thread specifically saying you'll see the haters after the show airs. It's really gotten to the point that you enjoy bitching about the bitching.

I drink craft brew, bro.

Hey, your devil's advocate skills need improvement.

No, that's just me calling you guys out. All I know is that if I were to come into this thread shitting on the show I'd get banned, reported, etc., for being a troll/threadcrapper. Why waste time commenting on a show that you hate? What are you doing here? That's what makes no sense.
Old 08-06-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
Agree with this 100%. This season of TD sucks badly... it's a convoluted mess and mostly boring; but heck, after even the third episode I'm IN til the end because 1) I want it to redeem itself based on the merits of S1 and 2) it's 8 freaking episodes... so who cares?

The first two episodes of Game of Thrones S5 were boring too... glad I didn't give up on that.
Well, the fact that you made it to season 5 is a big deal. Now if you'd given up in the middle of season 2 and came back on the GOT thread and started talking shit then that's where the problem would be.

My point is that folks that hate the show can't stop watching it even if they fucking hate the thing. That I don't understand. Life is too short to watch stuff you hate. Go read a book or listen to a book on CD or something.
Old 08-06-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, the fact that you made it to season 5 is a big deal. Now if you'd given up in the middle of season 2 and came back on the GOT thread and started talking shit then that's where the problem would be.

My point is that folks that hate the show can't stop watching it even if they fucking hate the thing. That I don't understand. Life is too short to watch stuff you hate. Go read a book or listen to a book on CD or something.
Why is it so hard to understand?? Personally, I don't "fucking hate" the show.. I just think compared to last season, it's bad..

It's one hour out of the week.. Last season was awesome.. I continue to watch as I feel there's a chance it will redeem itself..
Old 08-06-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Why is it so hard to understand?? Personally, I don't "fucking hate" the show.. I just think compared to last season, it's bad..

It's one hour out of the week.. Last season was awesome.. I continue to watch as I feel there's a chance it will redeem itself..
I guess I value my time more. We're coming up to the final episode and folks are still hoping against hope that it will be "good?" THAT makes no sense to me.

Some SHOULD have jumped ship long ago but hey they've only got themselves to blame.

At least with The Strain (I like the show) folks DID jump ship on that show since the episode threads hardly have comments. They never gave that one the benefit of the doubt. Some were gone 1-2 episodes in of the first season to never return.
Old 08-06-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I value my time more. We're coming up to the final episode and folks are still hoping against hope that it will be "good?" THAT makes no sense to me.
I watch the show at like 10:30pm on a Sunday night.. If I wasn't watching it, I would be playing PS4, watching some other random show/movie, or going to bed.. To me, it's not much of a sacrifice..
Old 08-06-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I watch the show at like 10:30pm on a Sunday night.. If I wasn't watching it, I would be playing PS4, watching some other random show/movie, or going to bed.. To me, it's not much of a sacrifice..
Those are great options.
Old 08-06-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're a fan of the series / idea of it, I'd just be glad people are watching in hopes that HBO will give it another shot. The first season grew every episode, the second season is getting beat by repeats of Family Guy.
Old 08-06-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
If you're a fan of the series / idea of it, I'd just be glad people are watching in hopes that HBO will give it another shot.

Been saying that too but I was corrected that HBO doesn't have a traditional ratings system or something, so it doesn't matter if people watch it or not.
Old 08-06-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

HBO doesn't bow to advertisers, but they still use ratings to decide on what they keep / get rid of. If their subscribers aren't interested and people are no longer talking about it, they have no reason to make more.

HBO also like being the subject of conversation (getting your name out there, et al.) unfortunately, TD S2 has far more negative commentary than positive at this point where people have largely stopped talking about it altogether (which is the absolute worst thing for HBO).
Old 08-06-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Some SHOULD have jumped ship long ago but hey they've only got themselves to blame.
If the season/series was a long way from ending - then I would've bailed... but after episode 5 I was convinced the season wouldn't get substantially better - certainly not enough to make up for the previous episodes.... but I stick it through for closure - curious to see how it ends... plus for Farrel's acting and a few scenes here and there.

I have other things to do.. and the last few episodes I've been doing those things while the show is on. I'm not wasting any time.. and I'm not going to take the blame - I don't regret continuing to watch even though it's a shitty season.

You should learn not to take people's criticism of something you like so personally... because that's what your posts are all about. It has nothing to do with concern for how we spend our time, or thread-crapping/trolling (which none of us are doing). Most people think the season sucks - and it's not just on this forum. You're wasting more time bitching about people's complaints on the show than I'm wasting watching it (because I'm doing other things while watching and I'm not wasting time).
Old 08-06-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
If the season/series was a long way from ending - then I would've bailed... but after episode 5 I was convinced the season wouldn't get substantially better - certainly not enough to make up for the previous episodes.... but I stick it through for closure - curious to see how it ends... plus for Farrel's acting and a few scenes here and there.

I have other things to do.. and the last few episodes I've been doing those things while the show is on. I'm not wasting any time.. and I'm not going to take the blame - I don't regret continuing to watch even though it's a shitty season.

You should learn not to take people's criticism of something you like so personally... because that's what your posts are all about. It has nothing to do with concern for how we spend our time, or thread-crapping/trolling (which none of us are doing). Most people think the season sucks - and it's not just on this forum. You're wasting more time bitching about people's complaints on the show than I'm wasting watching it (because I'm doing other things while watching and I'm not wasting time).

If you're doing other things then you're not really watching. I'm not taking other people's criticism personally. Hell, I like this season, so I'm cool. It's just that when you shit on something and continuously come back to shit on it some more you most certainly are thread crapping. What are you doing here then?
Old 08-06-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
If you're a fan of the series / idea of it, I'd just be glad people are watching in hopes that HBO will give it another shot. The first season grew every episode, the second season is getting beat by repeats of Family Guy.
I will respectfully disagree here to the bolded. The first season finale was fucking ridiculous and as bad as the "Lost" finale (to me); and damn near ruined the whole experience.
Old 08-06-15, 12:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod Note: this is a discussion forum, not a cheerleading squad. That means that negative options about shows and episodes are allowed and if a user has watched the show/episode in question it is not thread crapping to express a negative option.

Finally, please address the argument and not the poster in this discussions. Keep it civil!
Old 08-06-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It's informative, but it shows how ridiculously convoluted this all is just for an 8 episode weekly show.
This is true. I think they would have been better off if they had eliminated one of the leads. My vote would be Kitsch. It could have been a much more tightly focused show with just two detectives instead of three. Also, some of the sub-plots could have been dropped. Blue diamonds...missing Mexicans...sexual harassment...impotence.....take your pick.
Old 08-06-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I will respectfully disagree here to the bolded. The first season finale was fucking ridiculous and as bad as the "Lost" finale (to me); and damn near ruined the whole experience.
I was talking about ratings.
Old 08-06-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
It's 8 freaking episodes...so who cares?
Winner!
Old 08-06-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I value my time more.

Come on, buddy. The way you keep rehashing and beating this dead horse sort of goes against that idea of you valuing your time more.

This notion of who should have and shouldn't have jumped shipped a long time ago is silly. By the time we were fully justified in forming an opinion about the show, it's already half over. So why the hell not continue watching to see, in hopes, that it gets better or corrects the ship?

Simple as that. And yeah, as stated, if we DON'T watch the show and continue to jump in here and bitch about it, then that is thread crapping. Otherwise we're just giving our opinion about the show in a justified manner.

P.S. Also, craft beer does change over the course of letting it come up to room temp. That Xocaveza, for example, once warmed up revealed a lot of different flavors opposed to when you first cracked it open.

P.P.S Look at all these haterz!
Old 08-06-15, 01:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod Note: drop the "hater" talk and keep the discussion on the episode
Old 08-06-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope HBO doesn't decide to cancel it, as the concept is really good. I do wonder if they are thinking about bringing back the leads from S1 if they move forward with S3.
Old 08-06-15, 09:14 PM

My guesses:

Spoiler:

- Ani's dad is in on the corruption
- The mayor is the one who abducted Ani and her dad knew it
- Ray will end up in a showdown with Frank and his stack of gas masks
Old 08-06-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by n.phelge
My guesses:

Spoiler:

- Ani's dad is in on the corruption
- The mayor is the one who abducted Ani and her dad knew it
- Ray will end up in a showdown with Frank and his stack of gas masks
That would make for a wam bam finale. Wouldn't have seen that coming, till now of course. Like what you're thinking.

This season wasn't on par of the first but I've still been entertained even though I've been confused as shit for most of it.
Old 08-07-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Originally Posted by eisenreich
For anyone still lost in the weeds, I found this highly informative:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_season.html
That does help clear up a few things.
Reading that over, it sort of seems like Frank has done more successful detective work on this case than Ray, Ana and Paul put together.
Old 08-07-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a scene earlier in the season where Ani's higher ups told her to get close to Ray and expose his corruption. Even implied that she should have sex with him. Considering they had sex in the last episode, I wonder if that will come into play at all. Maybe she'll throw Ray under the bus to help clear her own name.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.