Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: True Detective (S2E07) -- "Black Maps and Motel Rooms" -- 8/2/15

Originally Posted by eisenreich
For anyone still lost in the weeds, I found this highly informative:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_season.html
Sadly I have been able to follow the entire plot. Not sure what that says about my brain, because it is SUPER convoluted.
Old 08-05-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
They rushed this season to capitalize on the goodwill of first season. >
I wouldn't say they rushed it. Season 2 debuted 15 months after season 1 ended.
Old 08-05-15, 07:54 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by eisenreich
For anyone still lost in the weeds, I found this highly informative:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_season.html
It's informative, but it shows how ridiculously convoluted this all is just for an 8 episode weekly show. Just too much and not very interesting.
Old 08-05-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You ever go to Vegas and sit at a black jack table with $100 exchanged in chips? While it makes sense to walk away after you lose $20 or $30, but fuck it. there's always a chance that you'll win back the money.

Why does it seem so far fetched, or annoying to you to hear opinions that aren't like yours. So not everyone sucks off the show even when it's clearly bad. Much like you can't blame the person for cursing the table. Sure, they're still there... But, you know, you gotta put it all on black some times. There's always that chance that you'll win your cash back.

At the end of the day it's entertainment. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it doesn't. Do you walk out of movies 20 minutes into it when it's bad? Nah, you already paid the ticket for the theater. You may as well rid it out.

At worse, you have something to complain about. At best, it salvages itself.

But hey, keep telling yourself that we're all wrong and that

Come on, you can be a better's devil advocate than that. This is HB fucking O. Turn the fucking television off or switch channels then. You're not in Vegas and you're not at the movies. Are your hands broken? Flick the remote switch and move along is all I'm saying if you hate the show. You can justify it however you'd like but you and the haters can't get enough and are here every week since episode 1.

Don't worry though, we have the 90-minute season finale coming up this weekend. We'll get through it together.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-05-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-05-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's hard to break away from this show because it's only 8 episodes. Any week-to-week viewer would give it 3 to 4 episodes right off the bat to allow it to get going. At that point you're invested enough to see the payoff.

If this was a serial show, a lot of us would have given up on it already. Myself included.

That's why I was so pissed at The Killing. First few episodes were good, then it started to go downhill and by the time I realized how terrible it was there were only a handful of episodes left to a show we all thought would have a resolution by the end of the season. When that resolution didn't come, a lot of us were really pissed.
Old 08-05-15, 01:13 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I'm more willing to stick with a show on HBO because of their track record of great programming (giving me more faith a show will turn around) and the fact that I'm paying specifically for that channel. I won't give shows on FX, TNT, network, etc. nearly as much leeway.
Old 08-05-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goat makes a very valid point. If you only give a show 1 or 2 episodes.. you're really not giving a show a chance to set itself up. And honestly, you can call those folks haters.

But with a show that is only 8 episodes, by the time you're 4 episodes deep, even if it sucks, you may as well finish it out since you're half way there and again, there's a chance it could get better given that it's HB fuckin' O.

It's as if you only want to hear the positive reviews and not what (MANY) viewers are complaining about. I know the internet has made it so that you get surrounded by like minded opinions, but dismissing those with complaints as simple haters isn't the way to go. Not any more than claiming that the lovers are just sucking Nic's Pizzolatto's deep dark cock.
Old 08-05-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
If this was a serial show, a lot of us would have given up on it already. Myself included.
This!

And I'm pissed that the finale is 90 minutes instead of just an hour.
Old 08-05-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Cleaned up in post and ready for the DVD extras:

You ever go to Vegas and sit at a black jack table with $100 exchanged in chips? While it makes sense to walk away after you lose $20 or $30, but fuck it. there's always a chance that you'll win back the money.

Why does it seem so far fetched, or annoying to you to hear opinions that aren't like yours. So not everyone sucks off the show even when it's clearly bad. Much like you can't blame the person for cursing the table. Sure, they're still there... But, you know, you gotta put it all on black some times. There's always that chance that you'll win your cash back.

At the end of the day it's entertainment. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it doesn't. Do you walk out of movies 20 minutes into it when it's bad? Nah, you already paid the ticket for the theater. You may as well rid it out.

At worse, you have something to complain about. At best, it salvages itself.

But hey, keep telling yourself that we're all wrong and that

Old 08-05-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Goat makes a very valid point. If you only give a show 1 or 2 episodes.. you're really not giving a show a chance to set itself up. And honestly, you can call those folks haters.

But with a show that is only 8 episodes, by the time you're 4 episodes deep, even if it sucks, you may as well finish it out since you're half way there and again, there's a chance it could get better given that it's HB fuckin' O.

It's as if you only want to hear the positive reviews and not what (MANY) viewers are complaining about. I know the internet has made it so that you get surrounded by like minded opinions, but dismissing those with complaints as simple haters isn't the way to go. Not any more than claiming that the lovers are just sucking Nic's Pizzolatto's deep dark cock.
Nope, that's a cop out. Go for a walk, go have a nice dinner, etc. There are many options. You're just trying to justify why you won't stop watching. Why waste time? Time is valuable and sometimes you just have to cut your losses. But I guess some of you can't. OCD?
Old 08-05-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
This!

And I'm pissed that the finale is 90 minutes instead of just an hour.
You can find something else to to do for the last 90-minutes, though.
Old 08-05-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

What is during the final episode Rachel McAdams shows up and starts giving us all handjobs?

You'd feel pretty foolish if you stopped watching after episode 7.
Old 08-05-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Jack, are you aware of the sunk cost fallacy? Here, the wiki article outlines pretty much this exact situation:

Many people have strong misgivings about "wasting" resources (loss aversion). In the above example involving a non-refundable movie ticket, many people, for example, would feel obliged to go to the movie despite not really wanting to, because doing otherwise would be wasting the ticket price; they feel they've passed the point of no return. This is sometimes referred to as the sunk cost fallacy. Economists would label this behavior "irrational": it is inefficient because it misallocates resources by depending on information that is irrelevant to the decision being made.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs
Old 08-05-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

You know when you're driving and you slow down to see an accident on the other side of the road. I mean, what the hell. You have no invested stake in this car wreck. You don't know the people. It's not your car. It sure as hell isn't a pretty sight to see. But you still slow down anyway.

Why yes, let me go out for a walk on a Sunday night. I mean, unlike the strain where it's loud noises and gun shots but no actual danger out there. My outdoors does have it.

Again, if this was a series, I would have dropped it. I dropped Under the Dome once it turned from a mini-series to actual endless pointless drivel.

By the time it was painfully aware that this show was like that wreck on the side of the road, it's already too late. May as well just watch the stupidity and pray it gets a little better.

It's easy to claim that you can go out for a walk or whatever, but when's the last time you walked out of a movie theater mid shitty movie?
Old 08-05-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
What is during the final episode Rachel McAdams shows up and starts giving us all handjobs?

You'd feel pretty foolish if you stopped watching after episode 7.

She would definitely have to work middle-out to give all those handies in 90 minutes!
Old 08-05-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know when you're driving and you slow down to see an accident on the other side of the road. I mean, what the hell. You have no invested stake in this car wreck. You don't know the people. It's not your car. It sure as hell isn't a pretty sight to see. But you still slow down anyway.

Why yes, let me go out for a walk on a Sunday night. I mean, unlike the strain where it's loud noises and gun shots but no actual danger out there. My outdoors does have it.

Again, if this was a series, I would have dropped it. I dropped Under the Dome once it turned from a mini-series to actual endless pointless drivel.

By the time it was painfully aware that this show was like that wreck on the side of the road, it's already too late. May as well just watch the stupidity and pray it gets a little better.

It's easy to claim that you can go out for a walk or whatever, but when's the last time you walked out of a movie theater mid shitty movie?

I'm not a fucking lookie-loo. I hate assholes that stop to look at car wrecks.

Don't compare movies to television shows. A movie is a 90-120 minute commitment and that's it. I either liked it or hated it. That's it - I'll never watch it again. You guys are going into EPISODE FUCKING 8 still hating it. I mean what the fuck? Go to sleep then or something.
Old 08-05-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for managing my time, MOM! You know what I hate more than looki-loo's? Backseat drivers. You're sounding like one.

Both are short commitments, still doesn't answer the question on if you typically walk out of movies you dislike. And generally, I have to say if someone is in a discussion with me on something they dislike, their opinion is often irrelevant if they hadn't actually seen the whole thing and actually gave it a shot. Regardless if it was total shit or not.

In this case you really can't get a good sense of the story from 1...2.. even 3 episodes. And by then it really is an all in situation. You may as well stick it out to the end.

On a side note, I generally snatch a copy out of the either of the interwebs, so my viewership isn't counted either way.

But again, if we had a discussion and I told you what worked and didn't work, I would at least have the defense that I saw it behind me. I try to do that and haven't seen it.. well then, I'm talking out of my ass, is the defense as to why the other person's opinion is valid.
Old 08-05-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for managing my time, MOM! You know what I hate more than looki-loo's? Backseat drivers. You're sounding like one.

Both are short commitments, still doesn't answer the question on if you typically walk out of movies you dislike. And generally, I have to say if someone is in a discussion with me on something they dislike, their opinion is often irrelevant if they hadn't actually seen the whole thing and actually gave it a shot. Regardless if it was total shit or not.

In this case you really can't get a good sense of the story from 1...2.. even 3 episodes. And by then it really is an all in situation. You may as well stick it out to the end.

On a side note, I generally snatch a copy out of the either of the interwebs, so my viewership isn't counted either way.

But again, if we had a discussion and I told you what worked and didn't work, I would at least have the defense that I saw it behind me. I try to do that and haven't seen it.. well then, I'm talking out of my ass, is the defense as to why the other person's opinion is valid.

The problem is that you and the haters (slop being the other major hater) come off as trolls and thread crappers. You guys are gonna give yourselves strokes!

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-05-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You can find something else to to do for the last 90-minutes, though.
But then I won't be able to make fun of it if I don't watch it - and making fun of it is, well, fun.
Old 08-05-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The problem is that you and the haters (slop being the other major hater) come off as trolls and thread crappers. You guys are gonna give yourselves strokes!
You sound more upset at the people for not liking this season than the people are at the show for it not being good.

As mentioned, 3 or 4 episodes isn't enough to judge the show - there's still time for things to come together and turn around. Some people are hopeful, while others simply want closure. Even this turd of a season has some good parts in each episode (some scenes, Farrel's acting) - so it's not a total loss. The episodes are only an hour long and with only 3 or 4 more hours to watch until it's over - it's a small investment of time - especially if you can do other things while watching.

These threads are to discuss the show... good and bad. It's not trolling or threadcrapping to voice your opinion on the show - it would be if it's a longer season or the seasons weren't self-contained and the ditch-point is past... but that's not the case here.

If you can't take criticism of the show, then you might want to avoid these threads in the future.

Sorry, this season just isn't good. Deal with it.
Old 08-05-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
You sound more upset at the people for not liking this season than the people are at the show for it not being good.

As mentioned, 3 or 4 episodes isn't enough to judge the show - there's still time for things to come together and turn around. Some people are hopeful, while others simply want closure. Even this turd of a season has some good parts in each episode (some scenes, Farrel's acting) - so it's not a total loss. The episodes are only an hour long and with only 3 or 4 more hours to watch until it's over - it's a small investment of time - especially if you can do other things while watching.

These threads are to discuss the show... good and bad. It's not trolling or threadcrapping to voice your opinion on the show - it would be if it's a longer season or the seasons weren't self-contained and the ditch-point is past... but that's not the case here.

If you can't take criticism of the show, then you might want to avoid these threads in the future.

Sorry, this season just isn't good. Deal with it.

Uh, not at all, because I'm digging the show. Geez, 4-5 episodes in and you're halfway done - but to keep on trashing it over and over - why even waste time?

Small investment in time? Some of you can't even get past one episode let alone giving it time to breathe. Which is it? You love to hate it? Ah, it's cool to hate, I suppose.

Yeah, that's it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/phe2_kP9dvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-06-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

The season has been a major disappointment, but I quite liked this episode. The suspenseful hookup of Ray and Ana worked for me because it felt real and both parties were so hesitant to really go there. Also really liked having Frank watch the world burn and scorching the earth. Good stuff. Plus Paul died so I won't have to see Kitsch's awful acting in the extra-long finale.
This was the first episode this season that I thought really worked from beginning to end. Though I don't disagree that they are relying on some deep coincidences and a truly massive interconnected conspiracy that I don't buy for a second on any level of plausibility.
Old 08-06-15, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Small investment in time? Some of you can't even get past one episode let alone giving it time to breathe.
You open a beer straight from the fridge and it's a hot mess. Letting it set to get to room temp will reveal a lot. Then after that, well, you're already half done, may as well kill it all.

Besides, why the fuck are you criticizing our time management when you're pissing away an equal amount of time bitching about the bitching? Take a walk, go to the local CVS for those strange flavored chips. Come on, man. Use your own time better. Half of the time you post the second post of a thread specifically saying you'll see the haters after the show airs. It's really gotten to the point that you enjoy bitching about the bitching.
Old 08-06-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I have been enjoying this season for the most part. Again many seem to suffer from the Walking Dead syndrome of not paying attention but whatever. I do find it funny that many seem to roll their eyes at some of the moments in this season. Must not have watched last season as there were just as many. It is funny how that is overlooked when you dissect it. There was just as much ridiculously over-written and convoluted parts to last season as well. Oh but that seems to be sacred ground.

IMHO they are both about equal in quality and stupidity.
Old 08-06-15, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It's hard to break away from this show because it's only 8 episodes. Any week-to-week viewer would give it 3 to 4 episodes right off the bat to allow it to get going. At that point you're invested enough to see the payoff.

That's why I was so pissed at The Killing. First few episodes were good, then it started to go downhill and by the time I realized how terrible it was there were only a handful of episodes left to a show we all thought would have a resolution by the end of the season. When that resolution didn't come, a lot of us were really pissed.
Agree with this 100%. This season of TD sucks badly... it's a convoluted mess and mostly boring; but heck, after even the third episode I'm IN til the end because 1) I want it to redeem itself based on the merits of S1 and 2) it's 8 freaking episodes... so who cares?

The first two episodes of Game of Thrones S5 were boring too... glad I didn't give up on that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.