Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (S2E07) -- "Black Maps and Motel Rooms" -- 8/2/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: True Detective (S2E07) -- "Black Maps and Motel Rooms" -- 8/2/15

This episode was all rock n roll! Frank kicked some major ass. Buriss is most likely the "crow" character. I would not be surprised if he also killed the black attorney general, too. Of course he would get the drop on Kitsch. Although a friend of mine said that he was still moving at the end as the camera lingered on him, so maybe only one bullet was the through and through and the second one was a blank or a non-lethal round. I don't know. I haven't seen anyone survive that many gunshots to the back since Russell Crowe in L.A. Confidential.

In any event - next week's episode should be off the hook!

Yeah, it's one creepy whacky gameshow how everyone is corrupt and connected. I like how the Russian-Isralei dude just says hey we own all of these clubs and that's just how it is.
Old 08-04-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That ep was definitely the best of the season, which isn't saying much.. But man.. What lazy writing having the LT being in the exact place when the cop comes up from the tunnels.. That was just horrible.

That part and the part where him and Collen Farrel just HAPPEN to be at the building right when they are talking about business with those papers that they need for proof.. Just horrible writing..

How could season 1 be so amazing with terrific writing and this season suck such major ass? Different writers?
Old 08-04-15, 10:31 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird2340
That ep was definitely the best of the season, which isn't saying much.. But man.. What lazy writing having the LT being in the exact place when the cop comes up from the tunnels.. That was just horrible.

That part and the part where him and Collen Farrel just HAPPEN to be at the building right when they are talking about business with those papers that they need for proof.. Just horrible writing..

How could season 1 be so amazing with terrific writing and this season suck such major ass? Different writers?
The creator of the show writes all the scripts himself. There is no writing staff.
Old 08-04-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
The creator of the show writes all the scripts himself. There is no writing staff.
So WTF happened?? Season 1 was one of the best shows I've watched.. This.. This is horrible..
Old 08-04-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So WTF happened?? Season 1 was one of the best shows I've watched.. This.. This is horrible..
Some say that the fact HBO took over the reigns messed things up. The first season was independently produced.

I don't have a problem with the show.
Old 08-04-15, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Some say that the fact HBO took over the reigns messed things up. The first season was independently produced.

I don't have a problem with the show.
But don't you agree last season was much better?
Old 08-04-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Compared to the first season, I think this season's biggest problem was due to not having one director's singular vision throughout all 8 episodes.
Most of this season's information/pacing problems could've been solved by a single, detailed-obsessed director, as in the first season. The directing in this season has been random, haphazard and all over the map, which is detrimental when dealing with a script like this, which requires a surgeon's precision to get the point across. Script aside, there was a lot of thought put into how to film and get across the story of season 1. This season, they seemed to shoot as soon as the script was done, with little to no planning.
Old 08-04-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
But don't you agree last season was much better?

Of course but that doesn't mean this one sucks. Some folks just like to hate, which is all good, because they've stayed the course (they're fucking lying if they say otherwise) and contributed to the ratings.

I hope they make a third season.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-04-15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Compared to the first season, I think this season's biggest problem was due to not having one director's singular vision throughout all 8 episodes.
Most of this season's information/pacing problems could've been solved by a single, detailed-obsessed director, as in the first season. The directing in this season has been random, haphazard and all over the map, which is detrimental when dealing with a script like this, which requires a surgeon's precision to get the point across. Script aside, there was a lot of thought put into how to film and get across the story of season 1. This season, they seemed to shoot as soon as the script was done, with little to no planning.
I think it's the single director and having a pair of actors who transcended the written material. The only person who came back this year was the story/script writer. Of those three things, I think it's fair to say the script was elevated last year by the other two. It's not happening to the same degree this year.
Old 08-04-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I think it's the single director and having a pair of actors who transcended the written material. The only person who came back this year was the story/script writer. Of those three things, I think it's fair to say the script was elevated last year by the other two. It's not happening to the same degree this year.
Yeah, season 1 was good but the writing started to take a dive towards the end. Even throughout the season, Rust's lines were tailor made for McConaughey's delivery. Overall I don't think the writing has actually gotten any better or worse. The cinematography and direction was a huge part of what made the first season so good. I still think that without that incredible, landmark 4th episode with the tracking shot, the show wouldn't have blown up to be as popular as it is. That episode still sits heavy in people's minds when rating the first season. Any comparable scene in season 2 has been a mess, mostly falling short of even the widely criticized finale to season 1.
Old 08-04-15, 12:31 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Old 08-04-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

At least we finally got some closure on who killed Stan.
Who? Oh, wait...I get it.
Old 08-04-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Frank and his wife get away and live happily ever after.
I agree, especially since it is the only storyline I can pretend to follow.
Old 08-04-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have really enjoyed this season for what is because I can separate the two seasons. I just don't see what people are complaining about, it's a different setting and visual take on the same story of corruption and seedy affairs but the quality is still there.

Maybe if they had more existential talk and slow-mos people would like it more
Old 08-04-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adken
From what I understand, the fat cop who was part of the initial investigation team and died in the huge shootout was involved with a diamond heist/double murder 20 years earlier, then the kid (kids?) of the murdered diamond dealers tried to blackmail the cop about the diamonds and Casper about his kinky sex stuff. Then Casper was diemed a liability and whacked, and I think the fat cop was trying to get the 3 main chars killed in the shootout, but was double crossed and killed himself. I think the crow character was part of the kinky sex stuff, and was there trying to recover Casper's "party videos," although why he was in that getup instead of a ski mask seems silly, like a lot of other things.
The best part of this episode was the Friday document dump by Velcoro and the woman cop who basically stepped through the plot of the entire season-long conspiracy and yet it still made little sense and was virtually impossble to follow. One episode from the series finale and they were still throwing out names and characters that no one without access to a wiki-page would remember, let alone know them on any level that would allow you to understand their motivations. I was laughing through the whole scene because this part of the series was ridiculously over-written and convoluted, and here they were to make sure you knew it. Oh, and then they had sex to celebrate.
Old 08-04-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Of course but that doesn't mean this one sucks. Some folks just like to hate, which is all good, because they've stayed the course (they're fucking lying if they say otherwise) and contributed to the ratings.

I hope they make a third season.

You...do realize that HBO doesn't bother with the traditional rating system. Right?

A big factor will be home video sales. And unlike the first season with so much praise, I really don't see Season 2 getting that much love on the shelves of your average best buy and target.

Not to say HBO will shit can it, but critical review/praise matters a lot in the world of an HBO show. It's what kept the Wire going. It's what kept Treme going.

My guess, HBO will go ahead for another season, but unless it gets back to season 1 critical praise, I wouldn't expect a 4th season.
Old 08-04-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Honestly Creator/Writer Nic Pizzolatto was accused of cribbing (i.e., stealing) a lot of Season One's material from other sources. Season 2 is what happens when he tries to be more original.
Old 08-04-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You...do realize that HBO doesn't bother with the traditional rating system. Right?

A big factor will be home video sales. And unlike the first season with so much praise, I really don't see Season 2 getting that much love on the shelves of your average best buy and target.

Not to say HBO will shit can it, but critical review/praise matters a lot in the world of an HBO show. It's what kept the Wire going. It's what kept Treme going.

My guess, HBO will go ahead for another season, but unless it gets back to season 1 critical praise, I wouldn't expect a 4th season.

No, I wasn't aware of that. Wow, then you guys are really gluttons for punishment. Wow, that's even worse! The joke's on you then. Thanks for watching anyways and we'll see ya next week, right?

Old 08-04-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

They rushed this season to capitalize on the goodwill of first season. Why even make another season? It was basically impossible to top and everyone was obviously going to compare it. NOW had you come up with an amazing script down the road, sure, make it.

Anyway, this was the first episode that sort of worked and then it's still hindered by stupid coincidence and just endlessly convoluted storyline.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uKTpW4n2XgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-04-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Honestly Creator/Writer Nic Pizzolatto was accused of cribbing (i.e., stealing) a lot of Season One's material from other sources. Season 2 is what happens when he tries to be more original.

Season 2 seems a lot more derivative than 1 what with the corrupt politicians, land deals, mobsters, prostitution and Eyes Wide Shut orgies.
Old 08-04-15, 09:22 PM

For anyone still lost in the weeds, I found this highly informative:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_season.html
Old 08-04-15, 11:08 PM
Banned

Season 1 had some shitty writing, convenient plotting and seemingly unrelated red herrings as well. The material was elevated by the two leads. You all keep going on about the tunnel exit thing, ignoring that it was already said that eyes were everywhere. Naturally there could be people waiting at all nearby exits. Why does no one complain about how stupid and implausible it was that Marty in season 1 cracks a 20-year old case by noticing some fresh green paint on a house in a photograph.

Last edited by EctoCooler; 08-04-15 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Who? Oh, wait...I get it.
They revealed who killed Stan. You're clearly not watching the show. You're seeing the episodes, but you're not watching.
Old 08-05-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Season 1 had some shitty writing, convenient plotting and seemingly unrelated red herrings as well. The material was elevated by the two leads. You all keep going on about the tunnel exit thing, ignoring that it was already said that eyes were everywhere. Naturally there could be people waiting at all nearby exits. Why does no one complain about how stupid and implausible it was that Marty in season 1 cracks a 20-year old case by noticing some fresh green paint on a house in a photograph.
Old 08-05-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

No, I wasn't aware of that. Wow, then you guys are really gluttons for punishment. Wow, that's even worse! The joke's on you then. Thanks for watching anyways and we'll see ya next week, right?

You ever go to Vegas and sit at a black jack table with $100 exchanged in chips? While it makes sense to walk away after you lose $20 or $30, but fuck it. there's always a chance that you'll win back the money.

Why does it seem so far fetched, or annoying to you to hear opinions that aren't like yours. So not everyone sucks off the show even when it's clearly bad. Much like you can't blame the person for cursing the table. Sure, they're still there... But, you know, you gotta put it all on black some times. There's always that chance that you'll win your cash back.

At the end of the day it's entertainment. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it doesn't. Do you walk out of movies 20 minutes into it when it's bad? Nah, you already paid the ticket for the theater. You may as well rid it out.

At worse, you have something to complain about. At best, it salvages itself.

But hey, keep telling yourself that we're all wrong and that

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.