Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow, New live action fantasy story written by Henson

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow, New live action fantasy story written by Henson

Don't know if someone has posted this, dvdtalk search engine being what it is, but apparently Jim Henson's Creature Shop has been working on a live action fantasy made for TV movie called, "Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow". It's based on a story Jim Henson wrote back in 1968 that is daughter is producing.

Original Article:

Spoiler:

Lisa Henson, Jim Henson’s daughter, was working on an archiving project when she discovered something big: the treatment for an unproduced Thanksgiving special — and the puppets that would star in said special — that Jim and his writing partner, Jerry Juhl, created back in 1968. And now, that special, titled Jim Henson’s Turkey Hollow, is heading to Lifetime.

Jim Henson’s Turkey Hollow follows a family who goes on a hunt for a Bigfoot-like creature called the Howling Hoodoo during a visit to the house of their kooky aunt (played by Last Man on Earth’s Mary Steenburgen). The Howling Hoodoo itself is difficult to find, but they come across some other monsters in the woods that they didn’t even know they were looking for.

Lisa, who is executive producing, was first introduced to these monsters in the ’60s when her dad enlisted her and her sister’s help for a photo session involving the puppets. By the time she rediscovered them as an adult, however, they were in poor condition and had to be remade. The new ones are still in the same “spirit of the original characters,” Lisa tells EW, but are a bit more high-tech: The updated versions have blinking eyes and animatronic components.

Sound whimsical? It is — but Better Off Ted’s Jay Harrington, who plays the kids’ dad, brings a dose of rationality to the special. “He’s grounded in reality and he keeps bringing it back to the normal person’s point of view, like, ‘Really? Monsters in the woods?’” Lisa laughs. “It’s good to have that adult skeptic.”

Between the suspicious adults and fantastical monsters, Lisa hopes Jim Henson’s Turkey Hollow becomes a Thanksgiving special for the ages. “When faced with adversity, a family can find magic and transformation in unexpected places and unexpected ways,” she says. “At the end of it, I’d like for people to feel that it was a good family experience to watch it together and to see a movie about a family having an adventure together.”

Jim Henson’s Turkey Hollow premieres Nov. 21 at 8 p.m. ET on Lifetime.

EW has it on their website with some pics, at

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/09...son-first-look
Another image, spoiled for size.
Spoiler:

It appearing on lifetime worries me a lot, but i'll still check it out. Maybe this is one step closer to seeing Henson on the big screen again.
Old 07-31-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow, New live action fantasy story written by Henson

Lifetime used to scare me as well, but UNREAL is a quality show and way better than anything they've had in the past, so I think they are branching out. I'll watch anything linked to the Creature Shop at least once, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-02-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOOM Studios actually released this as an original graphic novel over the holiday season. I have it but haven't had the chance to read it yet.

Very surprised to hear it's actually making it to the screen.
Old 08-02-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Decent stuff has appeared on Lifetime in the past three years. Their television show properties are handled differently than the cheesy telemovies.