Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Extant (CBS) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Extant (CBS) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/15

MOLLY BREAKS OUT OF A PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL TO INVESTIGATE BIZARRE DEATHS SIMILAR TO THOSE SHE WITNESSED IN SPACE, ON THE SECOND SEASON PREMIERE OF "EXTANT," WEDNESDAY, JULY 1

Jeffrey Dean Morgan Joins the Cast as JD Richter

"Change Scenario" - Six months after her life unraveled and dark secrets were revealed, Molly is confined to a psychiatric hospital when she learns of bizarre deaths that sound eerily similar to those she witnessed in space. When she escapes to investigate, she crosses paths with JD Richter, a determined cop who just signed on to the case, on the second season premiere of EXTANT, Wednesday, July 1 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Jeffrey Dean Morgan joins the cast as JD Richter, a cop and bounty hunter who thrives on solving the unsolvable.

REGULAR CAST:

Halle Berry (Molly Woods)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan (JD Richter)
Pierce Gagnon (Ethan Woods)
Grace Gummer (Julie Gelineau)

GUEST CAST:

Goran Visnjic (John Woods)
Tyler Hilton (Charlie)
WRITTEN BY: Liz Kruger and Craig Shapiro

DIRECTED BY: Dan Lerner

13 episode 2nd season

For those who forgot this show existed. Premieres Wednesday night.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YszYkqfprys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm currently binging season 1 on Amazon Prime. I have 3 episodes left to go. Season 1 was all over the place. But, I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan and hopefully the changes that were reportedly made will help the show.
Old 07-01-15, 07:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Extant (CBS) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/15

Good move on the addition of JDM. Am also interested to see how the retooling of this show played out. I wasn't terribly impressed with last season, but may tune in for this.
Old 07-01-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocked that this got renewed. Lumps aside I enjoyed the 1st season.
Old 07-01-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st season started out strong and then it became so convoluted I almost pulled the plug. It was kind of a chore to watch it through to the end.

I am also shocked it is coming back. I'll tune in for JDM and hopefully they made the show better.

Last edited by Jadzia; 07-01-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really liked the first episode of season 2. Aliens, robots, and detectives with bad attitudes.

Watching sex scenes followed by scenes with your kid, creepy.
Old 07-02-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first episode was pretty good - much improved over season 1.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan gets better looking with age.
Old 07-05-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Thought this was an improvement over the first season but apparently the ratings don't agree.
Old 07-06-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Large improvement in quality, drop in ratings. Typical. Thought the first episode was really good.
Old 08-13-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This season has been great. The first season was like a 6.5 and this season is like 9 for me. I doubt it will get a third season since the ratings are so low. I'm actually surprise it got a second season.
Old 08-13-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I have enjoyed how they have fleshed out the aliens in this season. in the first season they were just evil and boring - I like how we are seeing their point of view and even sympathizing with them. Making Halle part alien is a nice touch.

This is season is also doing interesting things with the robots. Seeing Ethan caught in the middle of humans and humanichs parallels Halle being caught between human and alien-human hybrids.
Old 08-14-15, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This season has been a huge improvement over the first one. Of course that probably means we won't get a third season but hopefully we'll at least have some resolution.
Old 08-15-15, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well wow, I guess I'm alone in feeling rather strongly that this season isn't even in the same galaxy as the first quality-wise. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and darker side to S1, combined with far more innovative futuristic technologies interwoven in the background... instead of obnoxiously front and center.

What's more, how they have completely disregarded...everything? What was the deal with the visions of dead relatives to carry out rampant murder if these aliens (no, it was actually *specifically* her son that was doing it!) are so peace loving?

And I dunno, I guess I just harbor some serious dislike of JDM for refusing to return to the show that resurrected his career -Supernatural- back when as John Winchester (aside from *literally* phoning it in. Once. A 30-second audio only clip he undoubtedly recorded from an actual phone), but this whole character is absurd and the relationship with Molly is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000x as absurd. "In another life, you big 'ol hunk of man. In. Another. Life!"

Let's see... her husband just died what, maybe a few months ago at best? Cool. They've known each other all of a few days. Cooler. Oh, I've got it... he met her/broke her out of a GD mental asylum!

Sorry, if this relationship makes even a lick of sense to anyone else as anything other than some contrived, forced soap opera-ish plot device... then I guess you've got a better imagination than I do.

But the reason for my post? Holy. F***ing. ****! The end of this weeks episode...? Are you ****ing kidding me. Super model crazy robot chick has human by the throat (literally!) for all of a good minute. Said super model crazy robot chick, who just recently could be seen shattering a dude's hand instantly. Said super model crazy robot chick, however, now apparently can't do anything other than strangle a measly human, ensuring the day gets saved and measly human saved right along with it!

Gimme a break. Just... wow. How on Earth did the Powers that Be for Extant possibly see that making sense as anything other than sheer idiocy? Her neck should've been snapped instantly, the *second* super model crazy robot chick wrapped her little android fingers around it. Like I said... wow.
Old 08-27-15, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they made a misstep in the latest episode but it was great overall. I think we all knew Molly would survive but I think not giving a clear reason how she survived was a mistake. This creates a bunch of questions. Is the virus really deadly to aliens? If the virus isn't deadly why are they on the attack? Is the virus only deadly to full aliens? Are alien/human hybrids carriers of the virus but immune to it?

I also think they made a mistake on not explaining how Lucy got put back together. I can imagine that the other robots did it. If the robots can fix each other can they also make more of each other? That would seem odd to me considering Lucy couldn't remove expiration kill device or setting.

Other than those things I loved the episode. That ending with the drone, oh boy. I actually think that might be the future of policing.
Old 08-27-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was a good episode, much better than Molly's flashback episode last week. (Are we really supposed to care her dad cheated on her mom when she was a little girl?) I don't even know what the point of that was.
Old 08-27-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah that dad flashback was dumb.
Old 09-10-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the two-hour finale last night was actually pretty good. I'd be satisfied with that as a series finale, even though they tried to set it up for it to come back next year.
Old 09-10-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah they left the door open for a new season but the episode works as a series finale. I enjoyed this season and would be interested to see where another season would go.
Old 09-11-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The finale was ok. Lots of little things that didn't make sense to me but overall it was ok finale.
Old 10-09-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Canceled: http://deadline.com/2015/10/extant-c...se-1201571852/

Thankfully I won't have to spend another summer watching this.
Old 10-09-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it is now... Extinct.
Old 10-09-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Canceled: http://deadline.com/2015/10/extant-c...se-1201571852/

Thankfully I won't have to spend another summer watching this.
Funny, I thought that happened a long time ago and that the finale was written knowing it was the last episode.