DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Catastrophe (Amazon Prime) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/627492-catastrophe-amazon-prime.html)

JasonF 06-29-15 02:43 PM

Catastrophe (Amazon Prime)

Anybody else watch this? It aired in the UK on Channel 4 back in January and just dropped on Amazon. 6 half-hour episodes.

The basic premise is that Rob (played by Rob Delaney) a U.S. businessman in London on business. He meets Sharon (played by Sharon Horgan) at a bar, and they spend the remainder of his trip having lots of sex. She winds up pregnant, and the series follows their efforts to figure things out from there.

I thought it was very funny, and I thought the two leads were likable and had good chemistry. If you liked Coupling (the British version), you'll probably like this. If you liked Coupling (the American version), seek professional help.

Definitely recommended, and it's been renewed for a second season (or series, as it were).

mphtrilogy 06-30-15 09:05 AM

Re: Catastrophe (Amazon Prime)

I've caught the first two eps, and it reminded me of your the worst on fx.

I'll probably finish this soon, and it does have some laughs, I kinda like it.

Matthew Chmiel 11-18-15 08:54 PM

I had season one on my iPad during my time in Europe and blew through it in about three nights. I don't know if it reminds me of Coupling as the show is far more filthier and significantly darker than it. I'd echo that it reminds me more of You're the Worst, but does a better job at balancing the comedy and drama.

I just started watching season two tonight. I don't know how I feel about the second season's jump in time (the season begins with Rob and Sharon expecting their second kid), but the show didn't jump the rails like You're the Worst did in its (currently airing) second season.

andicus 11-19-15 12:49 AM

Yes, I binged the first series in August and I'm enjoying the second series, now.

I love the frankness of their dialogue with each other.

I think I like everything Sharon Horgan has done, particularly those shows that she has written/created.

JuryDuty 11-19-15 08:32 AM

I watched the first 2-3 episodes and enjoyed it quite a bit, though with all the Fall TV, I haven't gone back to catch any more yet.

Navinabob 11-19-15 11:51 AM

I really liked the first season. If anyone has Hulu, "Casual" has the same sort of feel to it.

Red Dog 11-19-15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12522323)
If you liked Coupling (the British version), you'll probably like this. If you liked Coupling (the American version), seek professional help.

Definitely recommended, and it's been renewed for a second season (or series, as it were).

Interesting. I loved Coupling-UK. I'll have to check this out. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on streaming programs during the holiday period when there's little on TV. Will have Narcos, Man in the High Castle and this to watch at least.

dwells 11-19-15 04:51 PM

So, is season 2 on Amazon yet?

Matthew Chmiel 11-19-15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dwells (Post 12649338)
So, is season 2 on Amazon yet?

Season 2 is airing on 4 in the UK currently. If its anything like the first season, Amazon Prime will not have it until the first quarter of 2016 at the earliest.

Jadzia 12-28-15 08:37 PM

I just blew through the first season of this on Amazon. Really enjoyed it. I appreciated that the lead characters actually seemed like decent people unlike on You're the Worst. I hope season 2 is available here soon.

writer106 12-28-15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12648976)
I really liked the first season. If anyone has Hulu, "Casual" has the same sort of feel to it.

I agree about it having the same feel as Casual. I enjoyed that show too. I need to watch the last two episodes of Catastrophe.

I like the leads on Catastrophe and I was happy to see Ashely Jensen on this show. She was funny on Ugly Betty and Carrie Fisher is another bonus on this show.

dwells 04-08-16 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 12649356)
Season 2 is airing on 4 in the UK currently. If its anything like the first season, Amazon Prime will not have it until the first quarter of 2016 at the earliest.

Just a heads up for those interested- season 2 is now on Amazon Prime.

dwells 04-09-16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by dwells (Post 12772633)
Just a heads up for those interested- season 2 is now on Amazon Prime.

And just to add- it is every bit as good as season 1. People are really missing out on this if they aren't watching.

It is just too bad that the seasons are just 6 episodes...

slop101 04-10-16 12:22 AM

Didn't care that the season ended on pretty much a cliff-hanger (more of one than the other episodes ended on), especially since they haven't even started work on the 3rd season.

dex14 04-27-17 08:11 PM

Season 3 premieres 4/28/17. It was already renewed through Season 4. Both 6 episodes each.

andicus 04-27-17 09:18 PM

Glad to hear it's renewed for a 4th series, as I've already watched the third. :)

dex14 03-14-19 06:58 AM

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hOgfr36C7KE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They need each other to stay afloat. Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan return for the final season of Catastrophe March 15th only on Amazon Prime Video.

In the fourth season of the Emmy-nominated comedy, Rob and Sharon’s relationship is pushed to the limit. Rob is sentenced to community service after his drunk driving accident while Sharon learns how to trust him again. This leads to exploring new life changes including career, religion, and health. Their love and humor have survived the ups and downs, but will it be enough to keep them afloat?
The Final Season.

jpcamb 03-14-19 07:58 AM

really love this show. Just re-watched all three seasons over last weekend getting ready for the final round. This could be 12 or 20 episodes per season and I would still want more of it. I'm a little surprised there is not more love for the show on this forum. I would put this with Peep Show for tone and funniness

Bill Needle 03-14-19 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13515955)
I'm a little surprised there is not more love for the show on this forum. I would put this with Peep Show for tone and funniness

Speaking for myself, I found the show late and still have it in the queue. Having the entire series available means I feel like I need to have some time in the schedule cleared before I kick it off. I'll get to it eventually and I'm sure I'll have some glowing praises to sing at that point.

movieguru 03-14-19 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13515988)
Speaking for myself, I found the show late and still have it in the queue. Having the entire series available means I feel like I need to have some time in the schedule cleared before I kick it off. I'll get to it eventually and I'm sure I'll have some glowing praises to sing at that point.

I started to watch it out of boredom not expecting much, but was surpised with how good it was. The comedy in this show is similar to Grace and Frankie, so if you liked that show you should enjoy this one.

Coral 03-14-19 10:24 AM

I watched Season 4 a few weeks back. Much like the other seasons, I enjoyed it.

Didn't realize it was the final season. The way it ended didn't fully give me that finale feeling.

andicus 03-14-19 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13516052)
I watched Season 4 a few weeks back. Much like the other seasons, I enjoyed it.

Didn't realize it was the final season. The way it ended didn't fully give me that finale feeling.

Really?

HUGE Finale Spoiler warning for those that haven't seen season 4.
Spoiler:
I thought it was pretty final, and dark. It really appeared that they were taken out by the rip tide.

The only hope I had was that the description for season 4 had the phrase "They need each other to stay afloat," so that 'could' be a sign that they made it.

The horrific idea that I missed, when I first watched it, was that if they drowned, the kids may also have perished in the hot car. Although, the windows were down, so I think that may be a stretch. I have to convince myself of that much.

slop101 03-14-19 11:14 AM

No,
Spoiler:
I definitely got the idea that without him, she would've drowned, and he would be miserable without her - but going out there was representing how they need each other to keep the other from drowning

andicus 03-14-19 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13516101)
No,
Spoiler:
I definitely got the idea that without him, she would've drowned, and he would be miserable without her - but going out there was representing how they need each other to keep the other from drowning

Did you not read the second line in my post? That's exactly the point it made.

Koby 03-14-19 12:26 PM

Didn't realize the 4th season was the last.