TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

Old 07-11-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

This week's episode wasn't very good. The bad guys were pathetic, and the 'action' scenes were shot and cut so poorly it was almost painful to watch. The plot was like a lame attempt at emulating Firefly--which I know is a criticism one could aim at the overall concept of the show.

A few good character moments with the brothers, and a nugget or two of information about Dutch's past.

Hopefully next week will be better.
Old 07-12-15, 06:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

funny how Killjoy's pilot interested me wayyyy more than Dark Matter's, but since then Dark Matter has been 10000x better.

I also HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Killjoy's opening theme music.
Old 07-12-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
This week's episode wasn't very good.
I stopped watching the episode about 15 minutes in and removed it from my DVR schedule. It started out with potential, but there's no magic here.

Still with Dark Matter so far.
Old 07-12-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I feel completely the opposite. Several characters on Dark Matter annoy me and it's been pretty generic sci-fi entertainment from what I've seen of the first three episodes. Killjoys has had more interesting weekly plots and the action has been very good at times. I definitely prefer Killjoys.
Old 07-13-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of in between the opinions on those shows. I also liked the Killjoys pilot more and liked the other episodes but not this week's.

Last week I really liked Dark Matter, but didn't like it this week either. Both shows after 5-10 minutes I mostly had going in the background.

Good news is the Expanse that starts in November on sci-fi sounds like it's going to be a big time show with a big budget going by the info from Comic-Con.
Old 07-13-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Good news is the Expanse that starts in November on sci-fi sounds like it's going to be a big time show with a big budget going by the info from Comic-Con.
That's been in the can a long, long time. That doesn't bode well.
Old 07-13-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I don't know why it's being held so long. They screened the pilot and everyone raved about it. Io9 said it was the show we've been waiting for since Battlestar Galactica.

http://io9.com/the-expanse-is-the-sh...tle-1717279167
Old 07-25-15, 03:54 PM

What's up with the guy Dutch stabbed at the end? Is he real? He walked away without even a limp after being basically gutted.
Old 07-25-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
What's up with the guy Dutch stabbed at the end? Is he real? He walked away without even a limp after being basically gutted.
That was a strange scene, remember that he had a telepathic link to her when that device was planted in her neck. It's possible that was a hologram or something.

I wonder why that doctor has such a Jones to help John's brother? I don't buy it she's fallen in love with him and is doing it for that reason alone.
Old 07-25-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
That was a strange scene, remember that he had a telepathic link to her when that device was planted in her neck. It's possible that was a hologram or something.

I wonder why that doctor has such a Jones to help John's brother? I don't buy it she's fallen in love with him and is doing it for that reason alone.
I thought it was a hologram at first but later when Dutch says she needs to find a way to kill him I figure he was real. They had the rapid healing nanobots last week and regrew an ear the week before so who knows what techno advancements that guy has.
Old 07-27-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The nun episode was a real stinker but otherwise I've liked this and the last couple episodes especially have been good.
Old 07-27-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has been a fun show for me. It has a good blend of action, decent characters, and enough intrigue to keep it interesting on a weekly basis.
Old 08-02-15, 01:08 PM

Liking this show but they did have a pet peeve of mine - hand to hand combat between a tiny heroine and a much bigger guy in which she takes several punches to the face with nothing but a cut lip and a bruise or two. I mean, Dav landed at least three solid punches and one solid kick to Dutch's noggin and none even made her shake her head. Is her skull solid rock from ear to ear or what? LOL. Of course, this seems to be deriguer these days. One of the reasons I stopped watching Arrow in the first season was because although he could kick the hell out of any number of male adversaries no matter how big or how many, he almost always got his ass handed to him when fighting a female. If he was lucky, it would be draw - I don't think I ever saw him actually win a fistfight with any chick. It's so inevitable and prevalent that I'm starting to wonder if guys in western culture don't have a subconscious wish to be spanked and humiliated by hot babes. LOL!
Also enjoyed seeing Amanda Tapping but man is she aging quickly.

Last edited by 45shooter; 08-02-15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The small girl/woman kicking the ass of men twice her size is a trope I'd like to see go away because it is so ridiculous, but it is pretty popular. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WaifFu)

Oh, and Tapping is 50 years old--looks pretty good, I'd say.
Old 08-02-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I think the trope has become wildly overplayed, Dutch took a pretty severe beating in the fight. I was also surprised at how muscular she looked during it, they've definitely been hiding that most of the season in her outfits.

Anyone else notice how Syfy completely missed the 'S' from the usual LSV warning before the episode? The person assigning those ratings completely blew it and gave this episode an 'LV' label.

Killjoys really hasn't had a bad episode yet, I hope it gets renewed. It wouldn't surprise me if only one of either Dark Matter or Killjoys comes back.
Old 08-02-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this show is doing well on Space so it will be back even if not on SyFy, which would be a shame because it's a good show. I'll watch it one way or another even if not on SyFy... Think it's been more consistently good than Dark Matter which I also like.
Old 08-03-15, 05:18 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

still cringe whenever the theme song comes on. can't FF fast enough.
Old 08-11-15, 02:32 PM

Nice badass moment for John there at the end. I was afraid they were going to make him the physically inept nerd guy. But what a dumb question at the end of the game - how can either of them ever fully trust Dav again? They can't be 100% sure that no one else has the key to Dav even though they destroyed Amanda's.
Old 08-11-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's only a matter of time I think until Davin is activated by someone else against the crew.
Old 08-12-15, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I think the trope has become wildly overplayed, Dutch took a pretty severe beating in the fight. I was also surprised at how muscular she looked during it, they've definitely been hiding that most of the season in her outfits.

Anyone else notice how Syfy completely missed the 'S' from the usual LSV warning before the episode? The person assigning those ratings completely blew it and gave this episode an 'LV' label.

Killjoys really hasn't had a bad episode yet, I hope it gets renewed. It wouldn't surprise me if only one of either Dark Matter or Killjoys comes back.
I think they make a good combo and that raises the chance for both to be renewed.
Old 08-12-15, 10:31 PM

While I think the trope has become wildly overplayed, Dutch took a pretty severe beating in the fight.
But that's the point, she did take what in real life would have been a severe beating and came out of it with nothing more than the aforesaid cut lip and bruised cheek. In real life she would most likely required hospitalization but she never even slowed down. Of course, that's true in almost any hero fight from the dawn of cinema to now. It just bugs me more with women because the size/weight/strength disparity is so much greater, usually. But then, in modern cinema, male or female, badassery knows no bounds.
Old 08-15-15, 11:35 AM

I was almost expecting Klein to tell Dutch "I am your Father".
Old 08-15-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
I was almost expecting Klein to tell Dutch "I am your Father".
That was what I was expecting. For a show that I don't think has a huge budget, the production design is highly polished and punches above its weight class.
Old 08-22-15, 03:20 PM

Bet it'll turn out that Dutch's childhood training was meant to turn her into a Level 6 agent but something went wrong and she escaped. But what the hell's up with the Level 6's? They get a dose of the Dark Matter nanites to make them immune to most otherwise fatal wounds? Will the Level 6 John and Dutch shot show up again looking for vengeance? Will the show be renewed and more importantly, will we get to see more of Rich Bitch's great gams and awesome ass in lingerie?
Old 08-24-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just finished this and yeah it started off strong but finished meh. It's too bad because I really liked the pilot.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.