Reload this Page >

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (BBCA) - Series Thread - Premieres 6/13/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-13-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

BBC AMERICA’s new original mini-series, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, is set during the Napoleonic Wars in an England where magic once existed and is about to return. So begins a dangerous battle between two great men. Eddie Marsan (Ray Donovan, The World’s End), Olivier award-winning Bertie Carvel (Restless, Matilda), Charlotte Riley (Wuthering Heights, Easy Virtue) and Alice Englert (Ginger & Rosa, Beautiful Creatures) star in the seven-part mini-series, which has been adapted from Susanna Clarke’s bestselling novel by Peter Harness (Wallander, Doctor Who) and directed by Toby Haynes (Sherlock, Doctor Who).

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell premieres Saturday, June 13, 10:00pm ET on BBC AMERICA.
Old 06-13-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (BBCA) - Series Thread - Premieres 6/13/15

The premiere episode is available for free right now on Amazon Instant video:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z0BTW0S/

I watched the episode last night on Amazon. As someone who's read the book, the show is remarkably faithful, while streamlining a bit to make it faster paced. I think they moved up the introduction of Jonathan Strange from the book, although it's roughly the same actions. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Old 06-14-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

I found this an absolutely delightful pilot, steeped in dry wit. The characters are fun and the pilot was brimming with a subtle sense of humor, which is quite unusual for an English period piece.

The pilot episode is also free on VUDU. I hope the series matches the promise of its first episode.
Old 06-14-15, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

It's really good. It seems to follow the book very closely and the production values are much higher than I expected.
Old 06-14-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Haven't read the book... the girl he brought back from the dead seemed to be missing more than part of her little finger. She seemed pretty nuts.
Old 06-14-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by leeta
Haven't read the book... the girl he brought back from the dead seemed to be missing more than part of her little finger. She seemed pretty nuts.
There is always a price to be paid when using magic.
Old 06-15-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm liking the the series so far.
Old 06-15-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the book, I think she's just feeling invigorated after, not just coming back from the dead, but no longer suffering from the chronic lung disease that kept her bed ridden for years. It doesn't last.

For anyone who missed it, the premiere episode is also on BBCA's site for free:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/jonathan-s...english-magic/
Old 06-15-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I enjoyed this a lot too. I read the book, but it's been a while and I'm fuzzy on many details. Production-wise, it won't be confused with theatrical level shows like GoT - but this is just fine for me (though I can see how some viewers might turn their noses up at it).

A limited episode miniseries is a fantastic vehicle for adapting a novel (especially a big complicated one). The system of British television seems much more open for this kind of project than American TV. Have there been any other really good British adaptations of novels recently that I've missed?
Old 06-15-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
Have there been any other really good British adaptations of novels recently that I've missed?
This page lists a few adaptations:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/seasons/books/tvdrama.shtml

Women In Love, The Field of Blood, The Crimson Petal & The White, South Riding, Christopher And His Kind, The Night Watch, and Case Histories

There's also the Red Riding Trilogy from a few years ago, although that was three adaptations of three related books:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Riding

I haven't seen any of them, so I can't comment on their quality.
Old 06-16-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I watched the first episode last night on Vudu. It was surprisingly entertaining and not as hokey as I imagined it to be.

I've requested the book at my library, and I'll finish that before I watch the rest of the season.
Old 06-17-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I read the book when it first came out and enjoyed it so much that it's one of the handful of hardcover fiction titles that I've kept. Apparently the ensuing 10 years has washed most of it from my memory as I recalled very little from the opening episode. I guess the rest of the series will also be a pleasant surprise.

Marc Warren showing up as the Faerie threw me a bit as I had just finished watching him in Band of Brothers as Pvt. Blithe
Old 06-29-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This series continues to be a rewarding pleasure. We rarely get this blend of light fantasy material in an English period setting, or done so effectively.
Old 06-30-15, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One Q- Norrell's obsession w books? Simply as a source of spells?
Old 06-30-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
It's not as emphasized in the mini-series, but Norrell is a secluded, bookish fellow. He spent the majority of the his life shut up in his estate, acquiring and reading books of magic. He didn't belong to any magician society, because he didn't socialize. It's possible he never would've been known as an actual, practical magician if Mr Segundus hadn't sought him out. He loves books, and finds them easier to relate to and understand than people. He's basically the stereotypical bookworm who just so happens to also be a magician.
Old 06-30-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
The impression I've got from the series is that Norrell wouldn't have any magic at all if he didn't meticulously pore over his magic books, so he guards them with his life.
Old 07-01-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Strange seems like a natural. He has come up with spells on his own. Including one that Norell had never seen. Norell, on the other hand is just reciting what he has learned from books.
Old 07-01-15, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
I read the book when it first came out and enjoyed it so much that it's one of the handful of hardcover fiction titles that I've kept. Apparently the ensuing 10 years has washed most of it from my memory as I recalled very little from the opening episode. I guess the rest of the series will also be a pleasant surprise.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This series continues to be a rewarding pleasure. We rarely get this blend of light fantasy material in an English period setting, or done so effectively.
I completely agree with both of these. I'm enjoying this show immensely.
Old 07-02-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm reading the book now... actually it's an omnibus of all three books... over a 1000 pages in paperback. I'm about a third of the way through. From what I've read so far, the show seems to be staying fairly true to the book.
Old 07-02-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm reading the book now... actually it's an omnibus of all three books... over a 1000 pages in paperback. I'm about a third of the way through. From what I've read so far, the show seems to be staying fairly true to the book.
The book was written and published as one giant novel, the author split the text into 3 "volumes" for stylistic reasons (similar to how J.R.R. Tolkien split Lord of the Rings into 6 "books" in the text). It looks like at least one paperback release split the volumes into separate books, but the original hardcover release was one massive book.

Last edited by Jay G.; 07-02-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-04-15, 01:30 AM
Banned

The impression I've got from the series is that Norrell wouldn't have any magic at all if he didn't meticulously pore over his magic books, so he guards them with his life.
More a lack of confidence than anything. Both Norell and Strange rely upon books heavily, just Strange is younger and more adventurous.

This is an awesome BBC adaption btw, one of the better ones I've seen. As for recommendations, Pride and Prejudice is really good, so is Bleak House (the 2005 version).
Old 07-04-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It looks like at least one paperback release split the volumes into separate books, but the original hardcover release was one massive book.
That's why I thought it was three books... I saw the 3 "book" set in one of the listings on Amazon.
Old 07-05-15, 01:55 AM
Banned

I read the book quite a while ago too. I don't remember how long it took to read but I remember it was a project.

I was thinking of reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories. It's supposed to be quite like Strange & Norell.
Old 07-15-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I continue to find this a wildly fascinating show. It's one of the first adaptations that has me seriously interested in reading the books.

My only minor complaint in what has been an otherwise wonderful plot was the rushed way they deceived Jonathan Strange into "marrying" the doppelganger.
Old 07-15-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I continue to find this a wildly fascinating show. It's one of the first adaptations that has me seriously interested in reading the books.

My only minor complaint in what has been an otherwise wonderful plot was the rushed way they deceived Jonathan Strange into "marrying" the doppelganger.
I think the explicit "bargain" of Strange accepting the doppelganger as his wife was invented for the miniseries, but from what I recall of the book, the swapping of Arabella for the moss-oak was similarly rushed, and actually a bit more confusing.

See this commentary on book chapters 43 :The curious adventure of Mr Hyde and 44: Arabella:
http://www.tor.com/2014/12/12/jonath...reread-part-9/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.