DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Defiance (SyFy) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/12/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/627220-defiance-syfy-season-3-discussion-thread-premieres-6-12-15-a.html)

Baron Of Hell 07-04-15 02:55 AM

Re: Defiance (SyFy) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/12/15

Really liked the latest episode. So they said the memories weren't random. Who was picking the memories if they weren't random. Were they just showing each other the worse memories they had or was the device in their head sentient?

rw2516 07-04-15 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 12526841)
Really liked the latest episode. So they said the memories weren't random. Who was picking the memories if they weren't random. Were they just showing each other the worse memories they had or was the device in their head sentient?

The device is probably sentient. If they die, it dies. It's acting out of self preservation. So far this season Nolan and Irissa(?) have been at odds over violence. She thinks he's too violent, he doesn't trust her to have is back. The device showed specific memories to create a reconciliation. It worked and they made up. They now understand why each is the way they are. The device did this to keep them together.

Ropes Pierre 07-04-15 09:56 PM

if only meaghan rath had stolen the truck of weapons instead of the roller, she could have Deus ex machina'd Defiance out of trouble in the upcoming clash of cultures war.

spainlinx0 07-05-15 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 12526857)
The device is probably sentient. If they die, it dies. It's acting out of self preservation. So far this season Nolan and Irissa(?) have been at odds over violence. She thinks he's too violent, he doesn't trust her to have is back. The device showed specific memories to create a reconciliation. It worked and they made up. They now understand why each is the way they are. The device did this to keep them together.

Did we watch the same episode? She wanted to leave. The memories made her realize how traumatic her upbringing was, and it was best for her to leave Defiance. She made it a point that her and Nolan weren't the same and that he accepts killing as a necessity, and she doesn't.

The only thing keeping her there now is that if she leaves she dies.

PhantomStranger 07-07-15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12527413)
Did we watch the same episode? She wanted to leave. The memories made her realize how traumatic her upbringing was, and it was best for her to leave Defiance. She made it a point that her and Nolan weren't the same and that he accepts killing as a necessity, and she doesn't.

The only thing keeping her there now is that if she leaves she dies.

That was my take on the events. Instead of the memories bringing them closer together, they are emotionally distant now despite being forced to live in the same area.

I wonder what the space vampire plans to do with Doc's brain implant or whatever it is.

PhantomStranger 07-11-15 03:48 PM

I guess the space vampires practice incest. Was that a new revelation? I don't remember seeing it before but they didn't treat it like a new reveal.

Coladar1 07-11-15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12532953)
I guess the space vampires practice incest. Was that a new revelation? I don't remember seeing it before but they didn't treat it like a new reveal.

Yes, it was definitely a new reveal. They seemed to emphasize this by making a point of her calling him "father" (or was it even something like "first father"...?) about two lines afterwards, so those who thought, "Umm... they're screwing each other?!? I must've been mistaken thinking they were father/daughter." would know exactly what was what.

This season has *really* been going strong so far. It's always been an enjoyable enough show, but this year has really gone overboard in amping up the quality, IMO. It'd have been really easy to tank some of the plotlines -like the new VC threat+commander being a caricature, or no threat at all; or the aforementioned "space vampires" aka Omec simply not working in the slightest- but so far, so awesome!

PhantomStranger 07-12-15 01:09 PM

Defiance has been a consistently strong show for me since the beginning. The producers seem to have a good grasp of what characters are working and which storylines to end quickly. I guess a battle is brewing at Defiance now that the spies have been found out.

Koby 07-12-15 02:33 PM

This season has been pretty strong thus far. Defiance is easily my favorite Syfy show.

Kdogg 07-12-15 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12532953)

They must be taking cues from Game of Thrones.

spainlinx0 07-12-15 08:47 PM

I wonder if it's a normal practice, or if it's only them two because of their unusual circumstances.

Koby 07-12-15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12534010)
I wonder if it's a normal practice, or if it's only them two because of their unusual circumstances.

She stated that he was the only one she'd ever been with... so I'd say they were doing it long before they were the only ones left.

spainlinx0 07-13-15 07:03 AM

From the story she told, it seemed like she was only a child when the suns collided. Most of their ships were destroyed by the VC when they were leaving to find a new homeworld. If they are on the only remaining ship, and everyone else seems to be in stasis, maybe the relationship started when they were on the ship.

Ropes Pierre 07-13-15 04:02 PM

The way Irissa and Alak were making moon eyes at each other over the baby, i suspect they start doing it soon.

doc yule has a crush on amanda, didn't see that coming.

Koby 07-13-15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre (Post 12534889)
The way Irissa and Alak were making moon eyes at each other over the baby, i suspect they start doing it soon.

I kind of got the impression they were ogling over one another.

PhantomStranger 07-18-15 02:29 PM

Did that really happen? Did they execute him on the show? I was shocked because the episode didn't have any of the usual tells that something like that was going to happen.

Koby 07-18-15 02:35 PM

I have a hard time believing Datek Tarr would be killed off. He's one of the biggest main characters of the show and I believe one of the more popular ones.

Coladar1 07-18-15 02:55 PM

I... don't... huh?

Datak *MUST* be dead. F***ing hell, it was daylight when the rack execution began - episode's end was at night. He has to be dead..

And yet... not only is the next episode entitled, "My Name Is Datak Tarr, and I Have Come To Kill You," but a summary I encountered for that episode adds, in addition to the town being under siege, "Datak recounts a story his father once told him."

So... huh? What the what the?

I freaking love the character and would deeply miss him on the show -and, if anyone needed to die, Stahma takes first place there- but he's gotta die at this point. If he doesn't, any sense of dramatic gravity or realism is utterly and forever lost - you know with certainty the Powers that Be will refuse to ever harm their "favored characters."

All the more, it annihilates the character progression vis-a-vis Alek (Argh these names are playing havoc with autocorrect) - making every word out of his mouth about atonement and whatnot utter BS, and showing that, at heart, Datak really doesn't give a toss what his son thinks.

The show backed themselves into a corner here, and Datak has to pay the price for it. If they weasel out of this by having Datak get "rescued" and escaping with the VC, it catastrophically damages what had been, up to now, an epic season of an exceptional show. Let all this Datak talk about next week be a red herring, and let him RIP.

Also, Stahma... did whatever it was she swallowed allow her to be "beamed up" to the Omec ship as their "wake up" meal in waiting, or did it simply allow her a vision of what was soon to come? I can't believe daughter/mistress would allow any chance of Stahma sabotaging/harming the last surviving Omecs, so I'm assuming a vision...?

leeta 07-18-15 09:50 PM

I don't believe Datak is gone for good unless he wants out of his contract to do something else or TPTB want him gone.

Ropes Pierre 07-18-15 10:18 PM

hard to tell. they killed rafe mccawley, which surprised me. even killing christie with lots of human/casti baby drama to mine seemed premature.

In order for the show to have some seriousness, people do need to die or it gets silly, but i don't know what kind of show is left without Datak. Maybe they cop out with the "no one has ever survived that long" route and keep him alive but with really long arms now.

rw2516 07-19-15 08:12 AM

Maybe the Omec can revive the dead. They resurrect Datak and he is now in their camp, or their slave, maybe he turns purple and becomes one of them. He can't be seen in town so maybe he goes to their ship.

spainlinx0 07-19-15 10:35 AM

I thought the torture lasted days. They are already burrowing under the stasis net. I'm assuming the invading group gets in there before he dies and frees their spy.

Koby 07-19-15 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12540324)
I thought the torture lasted days. They are already burrowing under the stasis net. I'm assuming the invading group gets in there before he dies and frees their spy.

I don't see that happening. The invading group didn't like Datak and they know he was only spying for them because of Alek. So there is no reason or benefit for them to come to his rescue, nor would it be a priority when they don't like anyone who has anything to do with humans.

Ropes Pierre 07-19-15 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 12540360)
I don't see that happening. The invading group didn't like Datak and they know he was only spying for them because of Alek. So there is no reason or benefit for them to come to his rescue, nor would it be a priority when they don't like anyone who has anything to do with humans.

Maybe the fruit of his chivo can sway their minds.

Coladar1 07-19-15 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre (Post 12540138)
hard to tell. they killed rafe mccawley, which surprised me. even killing christie with lots of human/casti baby drama to mine seemed premature.

In order for the show to have some seriousness, people do need to die or it gets silly, but i don't know what kind of show is left without Datak. Maybe they cop out with the "no one has ever survived that long" route and keep him alive but with really long arms now.

I say again, how TPTB wrote themselves into a corner here: Datak must die.

As far as a later reply, I don't know if it lasts days or not... but I don't see how it possibly could. What I've seen of it, folks toss in large stones until the point of rending. There was a long line for Datak, and several huge rocks went into the cache in a span of only minutes.

The idea of the Omec resurrecting...? That, I could buy. But I say again, they literally wrote themselves into a corner.

Are we really supposed to believe Datak is *ever* going to be allowed *anything* in Defiance again? Of course not.

His mere survival, at this point, would defy all reason and common sense. That would only be compounded all the more if they made something so insane like having Datak single-handedly defeating the VC invasion/publicly executing Rahm Tak and so "winning back" the fine people of Defiance.

I'll be the first to agree that Datak and this show are tied to the same breath, and losing him would be/is devastating... but at this point, doing anything other than precisely that would be even more harmful to the future of the story and series.