Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 07:21 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Stannis (Stephen Dillane) confronts a troubling decision. Jon (Kit Harington) returns to The Wall. Mace (Roger Ashton-Griffiths) visits the Iron Bank. Arya (Maisie Williams) encounters someone from her past. Dany (Emilia Clarke) reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.
Old 06-07-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Who is Mace?
Old 06-07-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Who is Mace?
Mace Tyrell, father of Margaery and Loras. Also Master of Coin. Cersei sent him to the Iron Bank earlier this season.
Old 06-07-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Arya (Maisie Williams) encounters someone from her past.
So I'm guessing that
Spoiler:
Meryn-fucking-Trant is going to die tonight.
Old 06-07-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So I'm guessing that
Spoiler:
Meryn-fucking-Trant is going to die tonight.
book stuff / speculation
Spoiler:
I'm assuming so also, and this is the reason she'll go blind.
Old 06-07-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fuck you, Stannis.
Old 06-07-15, 08:47 PM

Old 06-07-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope they melt down the Iron Throne and then let it cool only to shove it straight up Stannis' ass.
Old 06-07-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Fuck you, Stannis.
Heh. I was coming here to post the exact same thing.

I'll just add that I hope Roose and Ramsay flay Stannis and Melisandre alive.

And then Ghost shows up and eats all four of them.
Old 06-07-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Whoa, that scene with Shireen might be the most heartbreaking in the entire series.
Old 06-07-15, 08:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

The show has pretty much caught up to Dany now in the books.

Poor Shrieen
Old 06-07-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

that's cold man. Couldn't they have drawn some blood like they did with Gendry?
Old 06-07-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chowderhead
that's cold man. Couldn't they have drawn some blood like they did with Gendry?
No, it's based on whatever Melisandre says the Lord of Light wants. Apparently this sacrifice demanded someone being burned in his honor, couple blood filled leeches wasn't going to do it.
Old 06-07-15, 09:12 PM

Not as good as last week overall, but some awesome developments.

I had to laugh at all the "Stannis the Mannis" bullshit - I knew that shit heal would do it in the end. His lust for power is perhaps the worst of all.

I wish we got more at the Wall with Jon explaining what happened to the others. I still think Olly has something planned that's going to really fuck everyone.

Loved the ending with Dany. We all knew the dragon was coming, but that didn't make it any less fucking awesome. Loved her companions' awestruck stares - and glad her "husband" finally got what he deserved. Also, nice work Tyrion for saving Missandei - God I love her.

I think it's safe to say Dany is done fucking around with the Harpy's in Mereen
Old 06-07-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is asking serious questions about what we should consider "entertainment" to be. I don't think it's ever pushed the limit this far. The degradation the show subjected Sansa to a few weeks ago was unnecessary. This episode became simply sadistic. The careful way they set up Shireen... I don't appreciate the manipulation.

It didn't help that this episode was almost entirely shit beginning to end.

The stuff in Dorne continues to plod along haphazardly. Dorne also continues to make no sense at all.

Arya's is the worst Faceless Person ever: we're supposed to believe that she's learned something while she bumbles around?

The Wall was an anti-climax.

The fighting pit stuff was pretty good but it was extremely crass to put a big action scene complete with "epic" music after the screaming, horrible death of a child.

I don't want to be one of those "never watching this show again" people but I have to say that I'm genuinely offended tonight.
Old 06-07-15, 09:17 PM

Lots of crappy fight choreography in the arena.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the child prostitution yet.

"Jack in a car" knows you are lying, Arya.

Kinda far-fetched to think Ramsey and his group of 20 could do that much damage without alerting anyone. Fires don't start that easily in freezing weather when everything is covered in wet snow.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 06-07-15 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-07-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11

I don't want to be one of those "never watching this show again" people but I have to say that I'm genuinely offended tonight.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/urMZap3TxsYiA" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" style="max-width: 100%" class="giphy-embed" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Anyone offended by anything they see in a fictional TV show or movie is a mental midget.
Old 06-07-15, 09:29 PM

Again I find these reactions a little confusing. It was a hard scene to watch, for sure, especially since her character had been developed in such a pitiable way. But as early as season 1 we had children getting stabbed through the neck and graphically choking to death.

The series has never shied away from this stuff - it arguably relishes it, and the problem seems to only arise when it happens to certain characters. In the end Shireen has always been baggage to Stannis and her family, despite Stannis nice little speech a few episodes ago. Her whole story has been depressing and sadistic from the very beginning. Her mother kept her in isolation her whole life.

I agree the transition was a little jarring, but I think these were two key moments for characters vying for the throne, Stannis and Dany. It was a good contrast to show Stannis' downfall into something even more heinous and Dany's rise to something greater. Even better that Stannis framed it in a way as if he had no choice and was accepting his destiny, when he has never been more aimless and impotent. I have little doubt Stannis will live to regret his decision (if only because I can't imagine burning your own daughter alive will go over well with his troops, who are already of questionable loyalty to the Milsandre).

I do agree Dorne feels directionless, however. I didn't mind Arya's story as I think it continues to illustrate the conflict she has between her past and her future.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 06-07-15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-07-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show is asking serious questions about what we should consider "entertainment" to be. I don't think it's ever pushed the limit this far. The degradation the show subjected Sansa to a few weeks ago was unnecessary. This episode became simply sadistic. The careful way they set up Shireen... I don't appreciate the manipulation.

It didn't help that this episode was almost entirely shit beginning to end.

The stuff in Dorne continues to plod along haphazardly. Dorne also continues to make no sense at all.

Arya's is the worst Faceless Person ever: we're supposed to believe that she's learned something while she bumbles around?

The Wall was an anti-climax.

The fighting pit stuff was pretty good but it was extremely crass to put a big action scene complete with "epic" music after the screaming, horrible death of a child.

Then stop watching and GTFO.

And exactly how do you know Sansa's scene was unnecessary? Please enlighten me how you're privy to knowing the chain of events that that scene has potentially sparked? You don't know. If you don't like it don't watch.
Old 06-07-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay, no one needs to give shit to George R.R. Martin at this point . D&D are the ones taking it into all of this dark territory . They've given us the rape of an already suffering character , pedophilia for sale, and the cold blooded killing of a young defenseless girl in the last half of this season . Lord help them if they actually follow the books next week.
Old 06-07-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question for the book readers about that final scene:

Spoiler:
Did the Harpy's attack like that in the book? For some reason my memory from the book is that the dragon came and attacked the crowd and she rode off after that. I don't remember it being like the show.

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
And exactly how do you know Sansa's scene was unnecessary? Please enlighten me how you're privy to knowing the chain of events that that scene has potentially sparked? You don't know. If you don't like it don't watch.
I have to laugh a little now the show is going in a different direction from the books. I recall all the book readers in previous seasons reacting to show watchers surprise at all the awful shit that happens in the series. "Just WAIT until you see what happens to so and so". Now a lot of book readers seem to be shocked and offended at what's happening on the show?

I love that this show does the dark things.
Go watch Harry Potter if it is too much for you.
Old 06-07-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Stannis is the worst. I can't believe he did that. I thought maybe Melisandre would do it on the sly, but for him to just stand there & send Davos off first was horrible. I literally can't believe it. I thought I was rooting for him to beat the Boltons, but now I just don't even know. They are all terrible.

Loved Drogon though, but it was weird having all that AFTER a young girl is burned to death. Still though, nothing is better on the show than when the dragon music starts & they start burning stuff.

I hope Dorne Inc. has some kind of long game, because if not, they are weak as hell.

PS Harry Potter is dark as hell too.
Old 06-07-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

Anyone offended by anything they see in a fictional TV show or movie is a mental midget.
I love that this show does the dark things.
Go watch Harry Potter if it is too much for you.
Then stop watching and GTFO.

Someone posts an opinion and the "I'm much smarter than you" internet tough guys come out. What a bunch of children.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.