DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lifetime Movie: A Deadly Adoption - June 20th, 2015 (s: W. Ferrell, K. Wiig) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/627087-lifetime-movie-deadly-adoption-june-20th-2015-s-w-ferrell-k-wiig.html)

RichC2 06-03-15 08:53 AM

Lifetime Movie: A Deadly Adoption - June 20th, 2015 (s: W. Ferrell, K. Wiig)

Starting an early thread more for FYI/DVR purposes. Especially for those of us that don't regularly watch Lifetime.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...oard_movie.jpg

It says Sunday June 20th, it's actually Saturday June 20th. Not sure if that's an inside joke or just a massive typo.

The overly dramatic thriller (this is a wink at the network’s usual TV movies after all) stars Ferrell and Wiig as a successful couple who are caring for a pregnant woman (Jessica Lowndes) with the aim of adopting her child. Things don’t go as planned. I can only imagine just how ridiculous and over-the-top this one’s going to be, but I’m sure we’ll all be pleasantly surprised. Ferrell does have experience performing in telenovelas, after all.

Scripted by Andrew Steele (Spoils of Babylon) and directed by Rachel Lee Goldenberg, the two-hour A Deadly Adoption will debut on Lifetime on June 20
I imagine this will be a bit like a Lifetime version of They Came Together.

dex14 06-03-15 09:12 AM

Re: Lifetime Movie: A Deadly Adoption - June 20th, 2015 (s: W. Ferrell, K. Wiig)

I thought they said they cancelled this because they wanted it to be a secret?
http://deadline.com/2015/04/will-fer...ie-1201403842/

I guess it is back on! Nice.

RichC2 06-03-15 09:18 AM

Re: Lifetime Movie: A Deadly Adoption - June 20th, 2015 (s: W. Ferrell, K. Wiig)

Yeah it turns out them cancelling it was just part of the announcement.

Mike86 06-03-15 09:55 AM

Weird but sounds sort of interesting for the cast. I may check it out.

starseed1981 06-04-15 08:28 AM

Wow. How far has Will Ferrell fallen? Guy was making $20 Mil a movie and now he's starring on shows on IFC and a Lifetime movie? Or are these his choices?

RichC2 06-04-15 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12499250)
Wow. How far has Will Ferrell fallen? Guy was making $20 Mil a movie and now he's starring on shows on IFC and a Lifetime movie? Or are these his choices?

His choices. The original plan was to have no advertising for this movie, something like those 4 am Adult Swim commercials.

The guy has an estimated networth north of $80m, was paid handsomely for his roles in The Lego Movie and Get Hard, and has like 6 more movies coming out in the next year. He can do whatever he wants, though maybe no more $100m+ budgeted comedies like The Other Guys (which is excellent, but didn't make enough).

Mikael79 06-04-15 09:47 AM

He's making movies with friends, and doesn't have all of the baggage that big budget films come with. Personally, if I were an actor and had enough money, I would probably go the same route.

PhantomStranger 06-04-15 09:33 PM

Will Ferrell seems to be slowly headed down Bill Murray's career path. I thought that series on IFC was odd for the sake of being odd and wasn't particularly funny. It's only a matter of time until he shows up in a Wes Anderson movie.

Thrush 06-05-15 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12500043)
Will Ferrell seems to be slowly headed down Bill Murray's career path. I thought that series on IFC was odd for the sake of being odd and wasn't particularly funny. It's only a matter of time until he shows up in a Wes Anderson movie.

Bill Murray's career film catalog is unrivaled for a comic actor. Yeah its been pretty much all downhill since Rushmore but he has some fantastic films under his belt. I cant name a single Will Farrell film that I would call enjoyable. Hes Adam Sandler with a better publicist.

DVD Josh 06-05-15 07:55 AM

Posted by the hilariously uninformed.

This is on purpose dude.

RichC2 06-05-15 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush (Post 12500164)
Bill Murray's career film catalog is unrivaled for a comic actor. Yeah its been pretty much all downhill since Rushmore but he has some fantastic films under his belt. I cant name a single Will Farrell film that I would call enjoyable. Hes Adam Sandler with a better publicist.

Bill Murray did good work in Lost in Translation, St Vincent and Broken Flowers as well, and I like his work in the Anderson flicks.

Will Ferrell movies tend to have a type of humor that consists of loud stupidity, but unlike Adam Sandler flicks (which I find oddly enjoyable regardless), don't play it safe. The Other Guys had a $100m budget, killed off two of its best known stars in the first 10 minutes and was ultimately an action comedy about... Ponzi schemes, Anchorman 2 starts off as a riff on the birth of Tabloid Cable News and then morphs into the strangest movie ever made, Step Brothers is literally two people trying to out dumb each other for 2 hours. It isn't high art, but Sandler he is not. He did an entirely spanish telenovela spoof movie as well, which I wish had been better.

Ferrell's more dramatic roles (Everything Must Go, Winter Passing, Stranger Than Fiction) have been pretty good, but yeah he isn't Bill Murray. He was easily the best thing in the rather weak remake of The Producers.

hbilly 06-05-15 08:09 AM

To avoid confusion, this will be a quasi-parody of soapy thrillers, right?

RichC2 06-05-15 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by hbilly (Post 12500243)

I'm thinking a complete parody, but yeah more or less. Lifetime is very aware that their brand is a genre all of it's own.

starseed1981 06-05-15 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12500237)
Posted by the hilariously uninformed.

This is on purpose dude.

I apologize for not being up to date on Will Ferrell's career path.

Troy Stiffler 06-05-15 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by hbilly (Post 12500243)

I think it'll be like "We Came Together". Non-stop parody. But played completely straight and as close to the source material as possible.

writer106 06-06-15 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12500245)
I'm thinking a complete parody, but yeah more or less. Lifetime is very aware that their brand is a genre all of it's own.

Yep, they are aware. The Grumpy Cat Christmas movie poked fun at that.

dex14 06-11-15 03:39 PM

<iframe width="656" height="369" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/luB3-1abCeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hanshotfirst1138 06-11-15 10:21 PM

Those are two fairly high-profile stars to be in a Lifetime movie.

RichC2 06-12-15 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12506377)

Eh. Lifetime usually has reasonable talent/budgets for their stuff these days. Spoils of Babylon was on IFC which has an even lower budget than Lifetime, that was 6 episodes and starred Tobey Maguire, Kristen Wiig, WIll Ferrell, Tim Robbins, Jessica Alba, Haley Joel Osment, and Val Kilmer.

writer106 06-15-15 11:46 AM

extended trailer
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/deadly-adop...592342100.html

<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='https://tv.yahoo.com/video/deadly-adoption-extended-trailer-152800346.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

dvduser6 06-15-15 08:33 PM

The only way this will work is if they shoot two versions - one straight; The other as pure comedy - and include them on the eventual blu-ray release.

hanshotfirst1138 06-15-15 10:26 PM

Isn't the appeal of most Lifetime movies unintentional comedy?

"Hooking up can take anybody down."

hanshotfirst1138 06-15-15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12506508)
Eh. Lifetime usually has reasonable talent/budgets for their stuff these days. Spoils of Babylon was on IFC which has an even lower budget than Lifetime, that was 6 episodes and starred Tobey Maguire, Kristen Wiig, WIll Ferrell, Tim Robbins, Jessica Alba, Haley Joel Osment, and Val Kilmer.

You could say that some of them-Alba, Osment, Kilmer-are past their stardom, but those are still fairly big names.

RichC2 06-15-15 10:35 PM

I hope they play it exactly like that extended trailer. It's pitch perfect and pretty funny as it is.

It basically looks like they're playing the entire movie straight, except Will Ferrell's character is just exceptionally dumb.

DVD Josh 06-16-15 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12506377)

It's intentional. The actors are fans of the trainwreck type of Lifetime movies and thought it would be funny to do their own. Why are so many people in this thread taking this as some sort of serious endeavor? The actors alone should suggest otherwise, let alone the ridiculous title.