Reload this Page >

Aquarius (NBC) -- S: David Duchovny -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 5/28/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-31-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
NBC picks up "Aquarius" - S: David Duchovny -- 60's Police Thriller

NBC ORDERS 13-EPISODE SERIES "AQUARIUS" STARRING TWO-TIME GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER DAVID DUCHOVNY

Duchovny to Portray a Police Sergeant in the Late 1960s Who Discovers He Is Tracking a Young Charles Manson

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - March 31, 2014 - NBC has given a straight-to-series 13-episode order for the drama "Aquarius," starring two-time Golden Globe Award winner David Duchovny in his return to broadcast television.

In this gripping drama series set in the late 1960s, Duchovny stars as a Los Angeles police sergeant with a complicated personal life who starts tracking a small-time criminal and budding cult leader seeking out vulnerable women to join his "cause." The name of that man is Charles Manson. The twists and turns of a complicated undercover operation will lead Duchovny's character and his young partner to the brink of Manson's crimes that will eventually lead to the Tate-LaBianca murders in subsequent seasons.

Writer John McNamara ("In Plain Sight," "Profit") will executive produce with Duchovny, Marty Adelstein ("Prison Break," "Last Man Standing") and Melanie Greene.

"Event series are a big priority for us, and the combination of a show that charts the lead-up to the Manson murders, along with a television star of the magnitude of David Duchovny, is the very definition of an event," said Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment. "We're thrilled to be working with these talented producers, including Marty Adelstein and creator John McNamara, to present something truly original."

"After being involved in the production of both 'The X-Files' and 'Californication,' it gives me great pleasure to work with David Duchovny for the third time on this compelling drama," added Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, NBC Entertainment. "I'm especially pleased that he wanted to come to NBC where I know there is a big audience waiting to see him."

Added Duchovny: "I'm thrilled to be working with Bob Greenblatt again and coming back to broadcast television. I think 'Aquarius' has a chance to be a special show and I can't wait to get going."

Duchovny is a TV veteran who had a recurring role on the hit show "Twin Peaks" before co-starring for nine seasons as Fox Mulder in the iconic series "The X-Files," with Gillian Anderson. In April, he will begin his seventh season on Showtime's comedy "Californication."

Duchovny won Golden Globes for both "The X-Files" and "Californication" and has been nominated on seven other occasions for his work on those landmark series. He has received four Emmy nominations - two for lead actor in a drama for "The X-Files" and as a guest actor for "The Larry Sanders Show" and "Life with Bonnie."

His other wins include the TV Guide Awards, American Comedy Awards, the U.K. National Television Awards and Satellite Awards.

Duchovny has received nine nominations from the Screen Actors Guild, and was also nominated by the Producers Guild of America, the BAFTA's, Television Critics Assn. and People's Choice Awards.

Duchovny is repped by manager Melanie Greene at Affirmative Entertainment, agent Steve Alexander at Resolution and attorney Peter Nelson at Nelson Davis Wetzstein.

"Aquarius" is produced by ITV Studios America in association with Marty Adelstein Productions.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...dbFTzRMJCQO.99

I hope this will follow the same route as Hannibal and have some balls with it's storytelling and the violence.
Old 03-31-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: NBC picks up "Aquarius" - S: David Duchovny -- 60's Police Thriller

I'm a little surprised Duchovny would want another weekly series so soon. I guess there's a lot of $$$ to be made, especially if you're given an EP title. Noticed both McConaughey and Harrelson got the title on True Detective.
Old 03-31-14, 07:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Was more interested in the Rob Zombie show I heard about.
Old 03-31-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blah, I was hoping True Detective would do a season about Charles Manson.
Old 03-31-14, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Californication has been shitty a couple of seasons now, I wonder if the new one will be the final.
Old 03-31-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
Californication has been shitty a couple of seasons now, I wonder if the new one will be the final.
It was already announced that the upcoming season will be the last.
Old 03-31-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be tuning in. Seems like it would make a nice companion with Hannibal.
Old 03-31-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds interesting but nothing survives on NBC anymore (except maybe the Blacklist). I'm doubtful this makes it past the initial 13.
Old 04-01-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The headline for this at TVbytheNumbers is "NBC Greenlights 13 Episodes of 'Aquarius', Starring David Duchovny as a Cop Tracking Charles Manson" and when I first saw that, I thought Duchovny was going to play Charles Manson who tracks cops
Old 03-07-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

“Aquarius,” which explores the cat-and-mouse game between Charles Manson and the police in the years leading up to the infamous Tate-LaBianca murders in the late 1960s, will bow on Thursday, May 28, with a special two-hour opener. It will regularly air at 9 p.m.

“Aquarius” stars David Duchovny as LAPD Sgt. Sam Hodiak, Grey Damon as young undercover cop Brian Shafe, and Gethin Anthony as Manson.
Old 03-08-15, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This might kill any chance for the X-Files to come back if Aquarius gets renewed.
Old 03-08-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is he going to play one of the characters from the Helter Skelter book/movie? It`s been so long since I read the book or seen the movie.
Old 03-08-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
This might kill any chance for the X-Files to come back if Aquarius gets renewed.
What was the last "period piece" to get renewed? American Dreams?

Mad Men not counting since, well, if it were on broadcast with its ratings it would have been canned halfway through season 1.
Old 03-08-15, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Is he going to play one of the characters from the Helter Skelter book/movie? It`s been so long since I read the book or seen the movie.
I think he will be a playing a composite type character.

I'll say that the premise for this show interests me a bit. It sounds a bit better than FX's plan for American Crime Story to focus on the OJ trial. Yes, there was the Helter Skelter book, HS movie and that CBS mini-series on the Manson family years ago. But, this could possibly work well an interesting take on what was going on with Manson before the killing spree and the attempt to bring him down before.

I might be wrong, but didn't law enforcement try to get Manson in drug charges sometime before the murders happened.
Old 03-08-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually like the premise a lot, they can cover that entire scene with a huge group of very interesting characters. I wonder if they will include the weird group that surrounded Tate's circle of friends? I guess not.
Old 03-08-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I wonder if they will include the weird group that surrounded Tate's circle of friends?
I'd freak out if they had Bruce Lee hanging out with them. They were friendly after he worked with Tate on the Wrecking Crew and Polanski was one of his students.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-08-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-10-15, 08:16 PM

First teaser/trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0l-JIiuQXGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-17-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Longer version of the teaser

<iframe width="590" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aVTdizy0Wds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-29-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

NBC is trying something new.

After the pilot airs, the remaining episodes will be available to stream immediately there after on NBC.com.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/aquarius...bc-1201418366/
Old 05-28-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Los Angeles. 1967. Sam Hodiak (David Duchovny, "Californication," "The X-Files"), a decorated World War II vet and homicide detective, barely recognizes the city he's now policing. Long hair, cheap drugs, rising crime, protests, free love, police brutality, Black Power and the Vietnam War are radically remaking the world he and the Greatest Generation saved from fascism 20 years ago. So when Emma Karn (Emma Dumont, "Salvation," "Bunheads"), the 16-year-old daughter of an old girlfriend, goes missing in a sea of hippies and Hodiak agrees to find her, he faces only hostility, distrust and silence. He enlists the help of Brian Shafe (Grey Damon, "True Blood," "Friday Night Lights") - a young, idealistic undercover vice cop who's been allowed to grow his hair out - to infiltrate this new counterculture and find her. The generational conflict between the two is immediate and heated, yet they're both dedicated officers and soon realize the need to bring Emma home is more urgent than they foresaw. The immediacy arises because she has joined a small, but growing, band of drifters under the sway of a career criminal who now dreams of being a rock star: Charles Manson (Gethin Anthony, "Game of Thrones"). Ringing with the unparalleled music of the era, "Aquarius" is a sprawling work of historical fiction that begins two years before the 1969 Tate-LaBianca murders. It's a shocking thriller, a nuanced character drama and, in the end, the story of how we became who we are today.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Brķan F. O'Byrne as Ken Karn
· Claire Holt as Charmain Tully
· David Duchovny as Sam Hodiak
· Emma Dumont as Emma Karn
· Gethin Anthony as Charles Manson
· Grey Damon as Brian Shafe
· Michaela McManus as Grace Karn

CREW INFORMATION:
· Becky Clements as EP
· David Duchovny as EP
· John McNamara as CRTR/EP
· Jonas Pate as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Marty Adelstein as EP
· Melanie Greene as EP

13 episodes ordered

2 hour premiere tonight

However, NBC will post the remaining 11 episodes online at NBC.com and probably Hulu after the premiere tonight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aVTdizy0Wds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, if you're going to binge watch the season via those platforms, please spoilerize your posts and clarify what episode you're talking about.
Old 05-28-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Aquarius (NBC) -- S: David Duchovny -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 5/28/15

Digging it so far. Hopefully I can binge through Hulu or Apple TV.
Old 05-29-15, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just finished watching all 2 hours of the premiere. Overall, not bad for a period show. Very impressive job with the set designs, costumes and getting everyone in the right look.

One thing that struck me: I didn't realize that Manson was bisexual. The fact that he was banging the father of the girl he's keeping was a strange development.

I guess judging by the 1st 2 episodes they are mixing in 60's crime of the week elements with the Manson serial storyline. Not really surprising considering they are producing 13 hours and I don't think Manson storyline alone would be enough to carry it for Duchovny's character. I mean he has to do his job still and in this timeline, Manson hasn't become to savage serial killer yet.

I'm going to be out of town for the next few weeks. So I'll check back in later. Again, if anyone here has the time to binge watch the entire season since it's being posted online tomorrow, feel free to talk about it.

Edit: BTW, I loved the soundtrack. Those 60's tunes must have cost a fortune. I wonder if that will impact a potential home video release for this.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-29-15 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-29-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I watched a little of it and couldn't get into it. It was ugly, with the color palette going from raw umber all the way to burnt umber. Why are they using the real person Charles Manson? When you do that, you run into questions like "Why is Manson played as terrifying instead of charming?"
Old 05-29-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Totally forgot about it but will catch up online.
Old 05-29-15, 09:22 AM

I had a hard time following some of the plot. What exactly was the backstory between Charles Manson and the father of the girl? How did they know each other? I kept finding myself confused by their scenes because I felt I missed something.

I love David Duchovny but I am not sure I buy him as the "square" cop. Also, I think the young cop is so bland. Looks more like a 2000's-era boyband member than 60's counter-culture type.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.