Reload this Page >

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Old 06-25-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: American Ninja Warrior (2014)

I got some heavy use out of my 'skip back' button on that one. It's especially funny after a hyped intro showing how fit they are and they blow it on the second step in record time.
Old 06-26-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Anyone watch this week's Denver finals? I thought it was way more entertaining and challenging than last weeks. It had some great falls and face plants on the angled steps which always cracks me up. It also had the third woman to complete a course. Lots of colorful characters. And Brian Arnold was of course the last guy featured.

NBC really should cough up more dough and make it an even million dollars given how difficult it is to win.
The devil steps are by far the most difficult obstacle in the first stage. The courses without them this year were very easy for those athletes with any prior experience.

It's pretty apparent to me the course obstacles this year have been redesigned where they could to favor shorter competitors.
Old 06-26-14, 09:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
I got some heavy use out of my 'skip back' button on that one. It's especially funny after a hyped intro showing how fit they are and they blow it on the second step in record time.
Yeah, like the 'karate hottie' who was repeatedly featured in every "Coming up on American Ninja Warrior..." pre-commercial teaser AND had a pre-run promo, and then biffed it instantly.
Old 06-26-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom said we were watching American Ninja Turtle. Cracked me up.

I also love how they hype a person and then they fall on the first obstacle.
Old 06-26-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NBCSH or NBCSN, 164 on Optimum in NJ, is airing season 4 of American Ninja Warrior until 3 AM Friday morning.
Old 07-08-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope people checked their DVRs. For the third time this season, the guide data erroneously listed last night's Venice Finals as a repeat.

The course had a super-tough new obstacle on it that very, very few beat. Of course,

Spoiler:
David Campbell beat it in record time. If there is a professional Ninja Warrior, it's him.

It was a shame that The Rocket lost by one spot and won't advance. He had tried the course when people had yet to realize virtually no one was going to finish it, so advancement was going to come down to fastest times.
Old 07-08-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Yeah, like the 'karate hottie' who was repeatedly featured in every "Coming up on American Ninja Warrior..." pre-commercial teaser AND had a pre-run promo, and then biffed it instantly.
mildLY NSfw

Spoiler:
Old 07-08-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

This show is entertaining (despite the insipid commentary) but you definitely have to DVR it. Two hours pretty much condenses down to about 20 minutes.
Old 07-15-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

NBC ruined it with their pre-hype during the episode (one voice sample particularly gives it away) but

Spoiler:
Kacy actually beat the Finals course to qualify for the national Finals. It was a very difficult course with a new gymnastics type obstacle. This was a much greater accomplishment than even her finishing the first round, as very few usually finish the tough second stage with ten obstacles in all.

It could be years before we see another woman finish the second stage like Kacy unless NBC actively recruits Olympic-caliber gymnasts and trains them up.
Old 07-15-14, 08:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
NBC ruined it with their pre-hype during the episode (one voice sample particularly gives it away) but

Spoiler:
Kacy actually beat the Finals course to qualify for the national Finals. It was a very difficult course with a new gymnastics type obstacle. This was a much greater accomplishment than even her finishing the first round, as very few usually finish the tough second stage with ten obstacles in all.
I'm glad I fast forwarded through all that "coming up" stuff.
Spoiler:
I was cheering for her, but I have to admit I thought there was no way in hell she could beat it just because of the insane level of difficulty and her size... which makes it all the more impressive. A few of those 'leaps of faith' actually had me holding my breath in suspense, followed by a "no ****in' way!"

I'm curious... has anyone ever failed at the spider climb at the end of a city final? That obstacle is almost treated as a pre-victory lap, but surely someone has to have botched that climb.
Old 07-15-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the preceding obstacle. I've seen a few people fail the spider climb after coming out the body wedge obstacle. usually because they slip.

I love this show. Watching these folks do this inspired me to chase my fitness goals. Kacy is amazing. No doubt Brent and Flip will be wildcarded in.
Old 07-15-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I agree that Kacy is amazing. I thought the poles would be her undoing but she played them perfectly. She's an amazing athlete.
Old 07-15-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Kacy made me feel like i'm less of a man
Old 07-15-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm curious... has anyone ever failed at the spider climb at the end of a city final? That obstacle is almost treated as a pre-victory lap, but surely someone has to have botched that climb.
I think it was James Sklar who approached it in an unorthodox way and actually popped his shoulder and fell down in one of the city finals or it may have been in Vegas when it happened.
Old 07-15-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've only casually been catching this, but saw Kacy at the end. Damn impressive, and damn cute too.
Old 07-15-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
A couple of people have failed but it's very rare on the final spider climb. Almost everyone that has made it to that point is a top athlete and it's more of a challenge meant to end in a cool visual, with the person standing on top.
Old 07-15-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot this was on last night so i'll have to watch the replay on demand but what did you guys think about last week when the one guy used his legs on the 3 ball obstacle that no one could get past?
Old 07-15-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
Forgot this was on last night so i'll have to watch the replay on demand but what did you guys think about last week when the one guy used his legs on the 3 ball obstacle that no one could get past?
That new guy looks like a real contender. He's the one with that condition where he has lost all his body hair. It was a crazy move that worked, when all prior attempts had failed.

I wonder if the obstacle designers intended it to be defeated in that manner or not. Several people after him beat it in the more conventional way.
Old 07-15-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That was awesome last night. I couldn't believe that Kacy made it through every obstacle... and at only 5 feet tall!
Old 07-15-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
That was Kevin Bull and that was awesome. I love that everyone is in it together and cheering each other.
Old 07-16-14, 12:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really glad the show never fell into the trap of making an easier 'women's course'. I'm sure the temptation was there, especially a few seasons back when no woman even made it past the fourth obstacle.
Old 07-16-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Amazing run. She made the whole thing look easy.
Old 07-16-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm really glad the show never fell into the trap of making an easier 'women's course'. I'm sure the temptation was there, especially a few seasons back when no woman even made it past the fourth obstacle.
The toughest obstacle for women after the upper body strength ones is the Warped Wall. There are really only two ways to beat it, have a good vertical leap or have perfect technique. Since it's something that most people haven't seen before, virtually no women have the necessary vertical leap to beat it without first practicing on the obstacle. It is also a tough challenge for the older athletes with less spring in their legs. So many of the 45 and up athletes utterly fail at the Warped Wall after breezing through the rest of the course.
Old 07-16-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

For those that missed it or want to watch Kacy again:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XfZFuw7a13E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-17-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

I've never watched this show or even knew what it was about, but a friend posted the Kacy video and I was transfixed. I'm sure I'd be even more impressed if I'd had more context of seeing other people fail.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.