TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Ninja Warrior (2014)

Originally Posted by jjcool
Forget about being 10 years younger, if Rosen had hit the buzzer on his first attempt, he would have won. I was surprised that hte pro rock climber went to using his legs as well as his arms so quickly on the rope.
Yeah, sucks they had Akbar saying "hopefully that half second doesn't cost him", because I knew then the other guy was going to win by a hair. Still pretty impressed when he did, though. He owned all the stages he competed on.
Old 10-18-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Really lame ad, but it's cool she actually landed a sort of sponsorship from everything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h5zDozL4HYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-19-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That is actually a cute commercial, one that would definitely catch my eye if I saw it on television. I imagine she'll be the entire focal point of next season on NBC. What NBC should do if they are dead-set on including so many female contestants is make it a couples thing or team-based contest.
Old 05-26-15, 08:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
American Ninja Warrior (2015)

The 2015 season is off and running with a new logo and a fresh course. The Venice Qualifiers started things off with only 7 completing the course thanks to the new Hourglass Drop.

That guy continuing his run with a break in his leg... I just cringed when he talked about hearing a "crunch".

I'm not sold on new sideline reporter Kristine Leahy yet. It just didn't sound like her heart was in it and she came off flat and slightly awkward at times. Jenn Brown felt more natural in that role and sounded informed and warm.
Old 05-26-15, 09:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
re: American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

For fans, there has also been a Ninja warrior sweden and a ninja warrior UK (sweden has finished airing recently and Uk is half way through)
Old 05-26-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I really enjoyed the Japanese version. But when I tried watching the American version I didn't like how there was so much more time dedicated to contestant fluff background stories than there was to actual obstacle course running. Do they still put together the show like that? When I flip around channels and pass through American Ninja Warrior, I still get that impression and haven't really given the show another chance.
Old 05-26-15, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

American Ninja Warrior is one of the very few things I miss by not having cable anymore. I have never been able to find a legal streaming source for it.
Old 05-26-15, 11:04 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
But when I tried watching the American version I didn't like how there was so much more time dedicated to contestant fluff background stories than there was to actual obstacle course running. Do they still put together the show like that?
Yeah, although they're getting a little better each season. There were some contestant profiles this episode, but they at least seem to be highlighting training and skills in the clips more lately versus emotional backstories.
Old 05-26-15, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
American Ninja Warrior is one of the very few things I miss by not having cable anymore. I have never been able to find a legal streaming source for it.
Monday Nights on NBC, or do you not have locals? The website does have highlights from Venice.
Old 05-26-15, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buldrhm
Monday Nights on NBC, or do you not have locals? The website does have highlights from Venice.
No local channels for me. I live too far from any major cities, so an indoor antenna won't work for me. An outdoor antenna also won't work for me since I live in an apartment building.
Old 05-27-15, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad no one ever airs the Japanese version anymore. Or are they even still doing Sasuke in Japan?
Old 05-27-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Too bad no one ever airs the Japanese version anymore. Or are they even still doing Sasuke in Japan?
It's still on in Japan and as popular as ever. I liked the Japanese version as well.

They've definitely made some changes for this 2015 season, changing the sideline reporter to better eye candy was long overdue. It looks like they've made Kacy Catanzaro a paid participant and official mascot of the show. The producers don't care if any of the returning men make the Finals, but they will cry if she loses in the first round this season.

While this show still has more filler in its two hour slot than any other network show, I thought the premiere was edited tighter than last season's bloated wreck of human-interest story-lines.

That goofy trampoline obstacle messed up the first round with very few finishing it, including David Campbell. If he can't master an obstacle, it probably doesn't belong on the course.

They keep tossing NFL players at the course for publicity but that body type is just about the last sport I would pick to challenge Ninja Warrior. Their greater mass is a detriment and their strengths are fully neutralized on Ninja Warrior. Some NBA players would demolish the course.
Old 05-27-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It looks like they've made Kacy Catanzaro a paid participant and official mascot of the show.
Yeah, I'm going to be suffering from Kacy-fatigue pretty quickly unless they stop forcing her into every fucking show.
Old 05-28-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

While this show still has more filler in its two hour slot than any other network show, I thought the premiere was edited tighter than last season's bloated wreck of human-interest story-lines.

That goofy trampoline obstacle messed up the first round with very few finishing it, including David Campbell. If he can't master an obstacle, it probably doesn't belong on the course.
Yeah, I skip all that "human interest" stuff. Nothing worse than watching some touching story about a "guy who lost everything" and then watching the same guy fail out in about 42 seconds. Some of it's mildly interesting but for the mostpart it just feels like a total waste of time, at least in round 1.

And definitely that trampoline obstacle was ridiculous--clearly way too tough if 90% of people can't even do it.

Lastly, glad they have a new sideline interviewer. Solid change...
Old 05-28-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind the human interest angles if they are truly interesting or unique. My biggest beefs are the commentators. If they want to treat it like a real sport, get former participants to provide more specific commentary. Heck, let Kacy talk about the obstacles instead of the endless girlpower stuff. At her size she has to have flawless technique and has mastered all of them.
Old 05-29-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

If they want to treat it like a real sport, get former participants to provide more specific commentary. Heck, let Kacy talk about the obstacles instead of the endless girlpower stuff. At her size she has to have flawless technique and has mastered all of them.
Agree completely.
Old 05-29-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

At least the cheap bastards at NBC finally increased the prize money from $500,000 to "one Meeeeeeellion dollars"

I agree with DRG, the new girl didn't seem all that genuinely interested as Jenn. When that scout guy grabbed her hand to show her the sign her body language screamed "get away, get away."

The sad story that's almost become a requirement to getting on the show is approaching ridiculousness with each profile dragging out some disease or dead friend. I wonder how many qualified contenders have been rejected because the producers felt "nah, not sad enough. Next!" Fortunately the editing pace seems quicker and there's always the handy dandy skip forward button.

It'll be interesting to see how the spider climb is handled this year. Whether they have altered it to make it possible for shorter contestants to complete it.
Old 05-30-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got to sit in the audience for the Houston qualifiers. It was a hilariously unorganized event. My buddy and I kinda just wandered up to the friends and family crowd section, right by the quintuple steps. We actually got to see Brent and Kacy's runs. I got spoilers if you want em!
Old 05-30-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tempting but I will wait until they air. Brent hasn't looked particularly competitive the past two seasons.
Old 06-02-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

they really needed to make each city a lot more fair. I know they want to mix it up with the obstacles in each city so the viewers aren't watching the same course but only 7 people completed the entire course in the first city and over 30 completed the obstacles last night. I think the people in the first city got screwed on the trampoline one while these people got it easier.
Old 06-02-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

It was funny that the really tall guy was disqualified because he was too tall when he grabbed the ladder and his feet hit the water.
Old 06-02-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meagan did great. Awesome to see. Houston's next week! Saw myself in the preview. Haha
Old 06-03-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
they really needed to make each city a lot more fair. I know they want to mix it up with the obstacles in each city so the viewers aren't watching the same course but only 7 people completed the entire course in the first city and over 30 completed the obstacles last night. I think the people in the first city got screwed on the trampoline one while these people got it easier.
That course was far too easy and I suspect NBC knew that fact. They wanted Megan finishing it and designed a course almost entirely for a rock climber's strengths. Her strength is impressive but that course had a number of very easy obstacles. Did one person fall on the balancing steps? Kacy's success last year was so thrilling because those courses were not simplified for a smaller woman to compete on them.

That guy whose wife is dying was tragic but leave it to Ninja Warrior to exploit it for everything that it's worth.
Old 06-03-15, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

That guy whose wife is dying was tragic but leave it to Ninja Warrior to exploit it for everything that it's worth.
It's not like they did it without his permission or involvement.
Old 06-03-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not a fan of the new sideline commentator.

Back to you. Guys!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.