TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 09:32 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
re: American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What's happening to the Cowboy Ninja's wife is tragic. I don't remember the show covering her story before, beyond being his wife. Having seen them on the show over the years, her physical decline is shocking.
I could personally tell you over 5 more tragic stories i have a personal connection to over the last few years

They don't get to be told on a TV show

Yes things like this are tragic, just fuck all to do with the show
Old 09-09-17, 09:36 AM

getting sick of 'mighty' kacy, still she's cute and has a cute blonde friend, would definitely go twos up on them both
Old 09-09-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I can't believe how many top competitor runs they didn't show and still too many annoying fucking sob stories

This is american ninja warrior, a competitive athletic show, not "who has the most fucked up tragedy" show
This is primarily to appeal to the female audience, -which it seems to be successful at, -to give people something to identify with, to give them a rooting interest. That's also why they bend over backwards to get the female competitor's a helping hand and extra publicity.
Old 09-09-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

They announced Kacy is "retiring" from Ninja Warrior, she has signed a contract with the WWE. This week is apparently her last appearance on the show...until her WWE contract runs out I imagine.
Old 09-11-17, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They announced Kacy is "retiring" from Ninja Warrior, she has signed a contract with the WWE. This week is apparently her last appearance on the show...until her WWE contract runs out I imagine.
Seriously. I hadn't heard that*, but as it happens I'm currently watching
Glow", and it feels a lot like that.

*https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...wwe/614951001/

Last edited by DWilson; 09-11-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-12-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kacy's farewell wreaked last night's entire episode. They butchered most of the runs to include the most mawkish tributes I've ever seen. What's sad is that I've really enjoyed Kacy's runs on Ninja Warrior but NBC once again showed little restraint in dropping any pretense this is less a competitive athletic event than manufactured reality tv.
Old 09-12-17, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've enjoyed both Vegas episodes a lot. Was shocked when Jessie fell on the net.

It looks like next week is 2 hours instead of 3, so guessing Stage 2 is a big jump up in difficulty.
Old 09-13-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyes8604
I've enjoyed both Vegas episodes a lot. Was shocked when Jessie fell on the net.

It looks like next week is 2 hours instead of 3, so guessing Stage 2 is a big jump up in difficulty.
Yea that sucked. Brought my girlfriend to tears. She had the staged owned really disappointing.
Old 09-15-17, 11:57 PM

Kacy is the most overrated 'athlete' in history

I hope they show most Stage 2 runs

Drew was awesome, all the big names are through
Old 09-19-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Well...
Spoiler:
that sucked.

Really feel bad for Drew. Shocked at Daniel as well. Good for Joe to make it as far as he did. They made sure no one would win this year. Kind of pisses me off about that. My girlfriend does not want to watch it anymore (she will change her mind I know). But she has a point why watch when it is made so hard no one will win.
In case no one has seen it yet.
Old 09-19-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't enjoy at all how they edited the last two episodes of the season. What was the point of reiterating the human interest stories once again? Or going into a three-minute tribute to Kacy's dead dog? They spent a lot of time building Beard up as the second woman to make Stage 2, only for her to fail fairly quickly.

The National Finals in Las Vegas used to be my favorite part of the season.

It looked like Drew was actually too athletic for that obstacle and overshot the leap, hurting his arm in the process. They didn't even bother showing several strong contenders' Stage 2 runs.
Old 09-19-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup another year and NBC doesnt have to pay any money. Good luck next year competitors!
Old 09-19-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Well...
Spoiler:
that sucked.

Really feel bad for Drew. Shocked at Daniel as well. Good for Joe to make it as far as he did. They made sure no one would win this year. Kind of pisses me off about that. My girlfriend does not want to watch it anymore (she will change her mind I know). But she has a point why watch when it is made so hard no one will win.
Spoiler:
Nearly 30 hours of television is paid off with an impossible finish. I lost a lot of interest in the show this year, to the point I stopped watching at all - let alone the usual liberal use of fast forwarding - until the Vegas episodes.
Old 09-19-17, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

FYI, Drew Drechsel has been competing on the Japanese original Sasuke. While not achieving Total Victory, he has gone the furthest of all particiants the past two competitions. Brent Steffenson has also been doing very well over there. It would be great to see a couple other of the best guys head over there.

Drechsel and Jessie Graff both competed at Sasuke 34 this summer, to be broadcast some time this fall.

Last edited by Bill Needle; 09-23-17 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Drew has basically become a professional ninja, traveling the world and entering the various Ninja Warrior competitions. There are variations of the show in Brazil and Europe as well. He's most probably the best ninja in the world today. A whole host of imitators have started up, even here in the States that don't get televised.

I remember when he first appeared on Ninja Warrior at 21 and it was immediately obvious he was a cut above the rest of the athletes in talent and potential. I'm glad he got out of being a car salesman.

As for the show itself, the team ninja warrior show is ten times more entertaining now than the regular show on NBC. Having the top ninjas race each other on pure speed creates much more drama and excitement.
Old 09-23-17, 06:08 AM

They need to give a prize of 50K to whoever gets furthest each year so there is always a winner of sorts even if it isn't the million
Old 09-24-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They need to give a prize of 50K to whoever gets furthest each year so there is always a winner of sorts even if it isn't the million
That makes way too much sense for NBC to consider it.

The dirty secret of Ninja Warrior is that they already have more applications to run the courses than they know what to do with. You have to wait in the walk-on line for weeks to run the course if you aren't handpicked by NBC's producers. Literally the easiest way to get on the show is finding one of the current popular ninjas and start dating them.

Six women have made it up a Warped Wall on Ninja Warrior. Five of them are dating top male ninjas.
Old 09-24-17, 05:28 PM

Yeah it isn't a fair playground for sure

Ink masters and shows like that give away 100K per season, so ANW could definitely give away the same as there are making more money

I would say 60K for best performing male and 30K for best performing female

It's not huge money compared to the million but for a lot of these guys it will really help, many of them have put potential careeers on hold to train as much as possible and several have opened gyms in an effort to do both
Old 09-25-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not huge money compared to the million but for a lot of these guys it will really help, many of them have put potential careeers on hold to train as much as possible and several have opened gyms in an effort to do both
I think that is what happened to Brian Arnold a couple of years ago, when he made it farther than anyone else on the course. He took off an entire year to train for Ninja Warrior as a stay-at-home dad. It was pretty clear he was gunning for the million dollars. It must have been crushing when he failed.
Old 09-25-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You do wonder what the numbers are on this show. You have production costs, but you don't pay talent fees.
Old 09-25-17, 04:50 PM

Personally i think they make a killing. They wouldn't have spin offs like Team Ninja Warrior and College team and USA v the world

Plus i think they would share in the royalties from the world wide versions, as most use Ninja warrior in the title and the obstacles are much more closely aligned with ANW than Sasuke
Old 09-26-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
You do wonder what the numbers are on this show. You have production costs, but you don't pay talent fees.
The show is hugely profitable for NBC but the biggest ninja stars get talent contracts of varying expense. I'm sure that Jessie is also getting paid for her appearances on the show.

Kacy supposedly signed a deal well over one million dollars with NBC, after her viral fame exploded from beating that city finals course. Kacy was getting offers left and right from other places and NBC was afraid she would walk to start her own show.

That is the backstory the show never brings up when they mentioned Kacy's exit to the WWE. Her contract with NBC was up and she was looking for her next pay day. NBC clearly didn't match the WWE's offer. I'm guessing that NBC thought Jessie is a suitable replacement for Kacy and didn't need her as much anymore.
Old 09-27-17, 08:47 AM

If that is the case (top talents have contracts), you can kinda tell who does and doesn't have one

Travis Rosen gets almost no exposure, he definitely aint getting paid

I thought Flip was hard done by with airtime this year

Drew Dreschel seemed to be one of the heavily pushed names this year and he is the best so that's cool
Old 09-27-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If that is the case (top talents have contracts), you can kinda tell who does and doesn't have one

Travis Rosen gets almost no exposure, he definitely aint getting paid

I thought Flip was hard done by with airtime this year

Drew Dreschel seemed to be one of the heavily pushed names this year and he is the best so that's cool
Yeah, you can tell which stars have contracts by how much attention and full appearances they receive on TV. Drew, the cowboy ninja, Jessie, the other Jessie, Joe the weather man, Daniel Gil, possibly Brent Steffenson from a few years ago, Megan Martin, Kevin Bull - they are all logical candidates.

Guys like Travis Rosen and David Campbell, older ninjas that practically built the sport, get nothing from NBC except a shot at the course each year.
Old 09-28-17, 04:28 AM

Yeah David Campbell especially, without him, the sport wouldn't have grown as quickly

I'd like to see Brian Orosco and Levi Meuwinberg make a return, they dominated in the early seasons

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.