Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: American Ninja Warrior (2016) -- NBC

Caught some of the original japanese show on esquire this weekend, good stuff!
Old 09-06-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Zoinks!

Wow that sucks for several big names again. Any one know why Isaac Caldiero didn't compete this year? Lots of rumors out there but no real good explanation.
Old 09-06-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Zoinks!

Wow that sucks for several big names again. Any one know why Isaac Caldiero didn't compete this year? Lots of rumors out there but no real good explanation.
I'll admit to being torn. I think too many of the obstacles are geared towards ungodly upper body strength which is a disadvantage to the girls and many other types of athletes. I felt they should have more balance and agility tests. However when you see Geoff Brittan slip and fall on the first obstacle, it is way too anti-climactic. He's one of my favorites because he seems so normal.
Old 09-07-16, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Gave a wildcard to Kasey and she struck out again. Can nbc stop shoving this couple down everyone's throat? It was pathetic that they gave someone who actually finished the Las Vegas course a while we were away edit. Pathetic.
Old 09-07-16, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Gave a wildcard to Kasey and she struck out again. Can nbc stop shoving this couple down everyone's throat? It was pathetic that they gave someone who actually finished the Las Vegas course a while we were away edit. Pathetic.
that was a joke, not showing a finisher was terrible job.
Old 09-07-16, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Yeah; I FF through anything with them now. Kasey is old news and will probably never do well again. Other, more athletic women have come and made her look weak.
Old 09-07-16, 09:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gave a wildcard to Kasey and she struck out again.
Hell, I would have been upset that Kacy got one yet again, but since they gave wildcards to about a dozen other women -- a few of which I didn't even *remember* from the qualifiers -- I'd have to say Kacy getting one was less suspect than some of the other choices. I can see the ones who got to the City Finals getting wildcards (like Michelle Warnky and Natalie Duran), but some of the women they picked are unknowns who bombed out in their city qualifiers. Compared to some of the other choices they made, at least Kacy is a 'name' competitor and her inclusion makes sense on that level.

It turns out that *every* wildcard went to a female this year. I get that they want to feature more women in the finals, but I think this is a bit overkill and this sort of stacking the deck takes away from the feats of the three women who got there legitimately this year.
Old 09-07-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Giving the wildcards to the women was a waste of a wildcard. They obviously want to have more women in the national finals, and that's fine. It just sucks that it was at the expense of other male athletes that did better on their finals courses, and had a shot at beating the national final.
Kacy seems to be past her prime, but they do have a crop of strong female athletes, thanks in large part to Kacy, that should be able to go further than Kacy ever could.
Old 09-07-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Kacy is still as capable as any female competitor not named Jessie Graff. NBC has had to make the obstacles bigger and more difficult given the deeper pool of athletes. Kacy was always operating at the edge of her talent margin since she's so small. I still think the first time she beat that stage two course is the most incredible performance we've seen on American Ninja Warrior.

It was tough seeing Geoff slip on the first obstacle that almost no one had fallen on. His daughter was absolutely devastated, crying as if he had been shot.
Old 09-07-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a huge crush on Jessie Graff. She's super bad ass. Hope she wins the whole thing.

I was very surprised that so many vets wiped out in stage one.
Old 09-08-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I was very surprised that so many vets wiped out in stage one.
Classic over-confidence. Thinking they can fly through the early obstacles because they've done it before.
Old 09-08-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Big news in Ninja Warrior gossip. Akbar Gbaja-Biamila claims NBC demanded a much tougher course after two people beat it last year. The number of people that beat stage 1 this year tumbled from 38 last year to just 15.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/americ...222922385.html
Old 09-09-16, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stage 3 - climb a 100 ft vertical wall covered in axle grease and set on fire while at the same time, the runner is doused in gasoline. At the top of the wall is a fire extinguisher.
Old 09-09-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Stage 3 - climb a 100 ft vertical wall covered in axle grease and set on fire while at the same time, the runner is doused in gasoline. At the top of the wall is a fire extinguisher.
Been watching the Japanese version, I see.

There are a couple of Japanese obstacles that require more luck than skill at passing. That's why their course is possibly tougher to beat despite generally easier physical requirements.
Old 09-09-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Big news in Ninja Warrior gossip. Akbar Gbaja-Biamila claims NBC demanded a much tougher course after two people beat it last year. The number of people that beat stage 1 this year tumbled from 38 last year to just 15.

Not surprised. Otherwise, they'd have to stop giving out the mil every year. At which point the drive for many people to compete will go out the window.
Old 09-11-16, 12:20 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ridiculous how many wildcards are wasted on women and why go through the charade of getting Kacy run the regional courses ? she is always going to get a wildcard to the finals. its BS

So getting sick of the bleeding heart stories, fine for the regionals, finals should all be about the competition. It seems those who don't inherently have a disabled tragic kid or relative in their own lives feels like they have to go out and seek one for their video

Last edited by Original Desmond; 09-11-16 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Nbc is cheaper than Bravo then. This show cost next to nothing to produce with travel and staging being the biggest cost. If they give away one 1 million top prize which should be in the form of insurance premiums that would be averaged out over 13 episodes. Episodes of Chicago whatever cost millions per episode to produce and get similar ratings. I am fine with making the course more difficult but people like to see a resolution generally and if there is no final winner it makes it less enjoyable in my opinion.
Old 09-11-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NBC views Ninja Warrior as cheap summer entertainment. I fully agree they are being petty on the prize, which is no great expense for network television.

I'd go a step further and guarantee $1 million to whomever finishes first each season.
Old 09-11-16, 04:21 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

even 250 grand to whoever does the best and 1 million for a total victory
Old 09-12-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

NBC views Ninja Warrior as cheap summer entertainment. I fully agree they are being petty on the prize, which is no great expense for network television.

I'd go a step further and guarantee $1 million to whomever finishes first each season.
NBC is being real petty with the prize money. They did it last year when they stiffed Geoff out of a million. It was always said that if you get to the top of stage 4 you get a million dollars. That's the way it should be.
Old 09-12-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And tonight we are about to make history as 3 competitors vie for $1 million. All they have to do is get through the machine gun bullet dodge, survive the Vlad the Impaler challenge, then beat up an angry grizzly bear with their bare hands. Exciting TV tonight Akbar.
Old 09-13-16, 10:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The worst part about their finales is that if you have any awareness of the remaining time left in the show, you're pretty much spoiled on what happens. Just knowing there was
Spoiler:
less than ten minutes left in the show when Daniel Gil was getting ready to do his stage 3 run cemented the fact he would not be making stage 4.
Old 09-13-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife said that as soon as she saw the time. "Oh well, I guess we know what happens"
Old 09-13-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

NBC must be really cheap, because they made stage 2 and 3 way too hard! I don't see how anyone could get past stage 3 now.
Old 09-13-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
NBC must be really cheap, because they made stage 2 and 3 way too hard! I don't see how anyone could get past stage 3 now.
I had forgotten completely about Stage 4. I saw those guys struggling thinking they just might do it, then heard all would get is an opportunity to try stage 4. Impossible takes all the fun out of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.