TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
We watched it for an hour. The Japanese were getting hammered. Are their courses greatly different from Las Vegas? They had competent guys falling right away.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Japanese people are generally shorter than Americans. Our courses are designed for bigger, faster athletes. They even made a point of it on the broadcast that the Japanese team this time selected a couple of taller competitors after the failures of the past two years, thinking they might compete better on our courses. The show really needs to line up the teams head to head in a shot to show the large size differences.

The Japanese still excel at the pure climbing obstacles like Stage 3, which favors a high strength-to-bodyweight ratio and endurance.
That surely can't be the only difference, though can it? It seemed like there were an awful lot of pure upper body obstacles that the Japanese should have done pretty well on.
Next year they should do the show over in Japan. I would be real curious to see how the US guys do on a Japanese course.
Old 02-08-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Many of the Americans go over and compete in Ninja competitions now in Asia. They showed that Drew had gone over to Asia and won a Ninja (not the main Sasuke) competition. They allow only a small handful of Americans the chance to run the course in Japan. Their courses are generally smaller over in Asia. Our Stage 2 course is a much, much tougher challenge.

What is greatly helping the Americans are the rise of gyms dedicated to ninja training. Half the field now seemingly runs their own ninja training gym all year round. It's breeding far more elite competitors.

I do love this team ninja format and wish NBC would adopt most of it for the main competition. It turns an exhibition into a real sport and allows the female competitors a fair shot against other female athletes.
Old 02-08-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Next stop: Olympics.

I'm barely kidding. It would be superior entertainment compared to probably 30-40% of actual Olympic sports.
Old 02-09-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I could see obstacle running added to the Summer Olympics. Remember that NBC, which has the Olympics on television lock-down practically in perpetuity, has major sway with the Olympics.
Old 02-09-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Many of the Americans go over and compete in Ninja competitions now in Asia. They showed that Drew had gone over to Asia and won a Ninja (not the main Sasuke) competition. They allow only a small handful of Americans the chance to run the course in Japan. Their courses are generally smaller over in Asia. Our Stage 2 course is a much, much tougher challenge.

What is greatly helping the Americans are the rise of gyms dedicated to ninja training. Half the field now seemingly runs their own ninja training gym all year round. It's breeding far more elite competitors.

I do love this team ninja format and wish NBC would adopt most of it for the main competition. It turns an exhibition into a real sport and allows the female competitors a fair shot against other female athletes.
I am curious what you mean by "smaller over in Asia". Do you mean shorter? less obstacles? actually designed for people of shorter stature? I've never seen a Japanese competition.

I agree on the team format. I enjoy it more than the regular version. What I really want to see is the head to head that they did earlier this year. Unfortunately I don't get the channel it was on.
Old 02-09-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Generally the spacing for obstacles and physical requirements are designed for shorter people over in Japan. They have nothing like the monstrous warped wall seen in the American Stage 2 or the huge leaps required for certain obstacles. That Stage 2 warped wall is the real separator because you can't beat it with technique, you need serious athletic ability to pass it. The American jumping spider is also much tougher, it's really an unfair obstacle for people under a certain height.
Old 06-01-16, 06:41 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
American Ninja Warrior (2016) -- NBC

'AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR' SEASON 8 PREMIERE FEATURES THE QUALIFYING ROUND FROM LOS ANGELES, CA - MATT ISEMAN AND AKBAR GBAJABIAMILA HOST WHILE KRISTINE LEAHY CO-HOSTS - The heart-racing obstacle course competition series "American Ninja Warrior" premieres for its eighth season this summer. The action-packed series follows competitors as they tackle the world's most difficult obstacle courses in qualifying and finals rounds across the country. Those that successfully complete the courses in each city will move onto the national finals round in Las Vegas and compete for a $1,000,000 prize. Four of the six obstacles on the Los Angeles course will be new to "American Ninja Warrior." For the first time, competitors will face the Floating Steps, Tic Toc, Escalator and Ring Jump. Veteran Ninjas Kevin Bull, Jessie Graff and Grant McCartney return for another shot at completing the course. Matt Iseman and Akbar Gbajabiamila return as hosts as Kristine Leahy co-hosts. TV-PG

Read more: Listings - AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2...#ixzz4AKL7eSAT
Old 06-01-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: American Ninja Warrior (2016) -- NBC

I hope no one missed the All-Star skills contest which aired this weekend on NBC. It was an awesome hour of television in which some of the top ninjas attempted souped-up obstacles like a 19-foot Warped Wall. Definitely seek it out if you missed the show. There were a couple of amazing feats, including some that looked truly dangerous to even attempt. I'm surprised NBC's legal team even allowed some of it.

Jesse has changed the game on the women's side. She's the first woman I would legitimately put up near the better male ninjas.
Old 06-02-16, 08:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, saw the All Star episode and definitely enjoyed it. I hope they make this a tradition... it kind of reminded me of the NBA All Star Weekend with the combination of an all-star team competition and fun skills showdowns. It was also interesting seeing the women do the stage 3 course of Mt Midoriyama. If one of the women can finally solve the problems of stage 1 in the finals it will be interesting seeing them perform in the later stages.

The season is off to a good start. I like that they raised the difficulty a bit overall, as I've noticed that last season there seemed to be way too many people that sailed through the first rounds as opposed to just 3 or 4 seasons ago where it was impressive just to complete the qualifier. I imagine the show's popularity plus the rise of ANW training facilities has made the body of contestants more prepared, so it's good to keep them on their toes.
Old 06-02-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The athletes are definitely getting better, the current crop would speed through the original course from a few years ago these days and overpower it. While I understand why they made the qualifying stage harder, I don't particularly enjoy seeing the climbing obstacles in the first stage for what is supposed to be a speed run.

Most of the tougher upper body obstacles should be saved for the next round. I'd prefer a smoother, parkour-type course for the qualifying stage. I did like how they raised the Warped Wall, it was getting too easy with training to pass. I have some guesses why they switched up to this type of course.
Old 06-03-16, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised one of the contestants went by the nickname "Eskimo Ninja" considering many Alaska Natives find "Eskimo" offensive.
Old 06-03-16, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Old 06-12-16, 08:04 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Enough with the bleeding heart stories ! just about every single contestant video is about some kind of relative who has had it tough

Jesus, this is a athletic obstacle contest, not a who has the sadest story contest
Old 06-12-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Enough with the bleeding heart stories ! just about every single contestant video is about some kind of relative who has had it tough

Jesus, this is a athletic obstacle contest, not a who has the sadest story contest
Isn't that all these shows? Before you can sing for 30 seconds we have to hear for 10 minutes how mom died and your dog farts a lot and how hard the training was because you never take a bath so no one will spot you any more. We hear this elaborate story then watch them wipe out 14 seconds in on the first obstacle.

At first I thought they made stage 1 too hard but see now they are doing a good job of whittling down the contestants.
Old 06-12-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I tried to watch it Wednesday, but there was too little action and too much backstories. I changed the channel.
Old 06-12-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I haven't enjoyed the emotional, heartbreaking backstories in years past, it seemed to me like they've cut down just a bit on that baggage this season. Their editing has improved, the action has become less predictable in its storytelling.

It's all about engaging casual, female viewers. Men watch athletic competitions for the sport itself. NBC's sports department is all structured around the Olympic model and building emotional narratives to draw women.

I will say I find the team competition they had this past winter an improved, more exciting experience over the normal Ninja Warrior show. That had the best athletes racing against others, which made it more of a real sport.
Old 06-12-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

This show was made to watch with a finger on the Fast Forward button. How anyone could possibly watch it live is beyond me.

I watch the occasional sad story but it is very rare. I will say that the sister with Parkinson's (or something) was touching.
Old 06-12-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I will say I find the team competition they had this past winter an improved, more exciting experience over the normal Ninja Warrior show. That had the best athletes racing against others, which made it more of a real sport.
I loved Team Ninja Warrior and I just don't understand why they didn't run it on the main network (NBC), -it was far more exciting to watch to athletes competing against each other, and there was far less time for backstory. I couldn't stand to watch the regular show if I didn't have a DVR.
Old 06-13-16, 02:31 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When these stories mean we don't get to see the full runs of the likes Travis Rosen and Jesse La Flair, then that pees me off
Old 06-13-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The runs themselves are starting to drag, now that a finishing run often takes over four minutes. I will repeat my objection to climbing obstacle after climbing obstacle in the first round. I did like the enhanced difficulty seen on the opening steps.
Old 06-13-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Tonight features former WWE wrestler Zach Gowen.

Oh... and he has one leg.
Old 06-13-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Tonight features former WWE wrestler Zach Gowen.

Oh... and he has one leg.
http://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-ne...or-experience/
Old 06-13-16, 09:26 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

65 million year-old contestant?

http://m.imgur.com/gmIkoPP?r
Old 06-14-16, 06:58 AM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by HN

I was actually cheering for 'em!
Old 06-14-16, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by HN

Arms too short to box with God.
Spoiler:
But obviously just fine for American Ninja Warrior

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.