Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Alienist (TNT) -- S: Evans, Brühl, Fanning -- EP: Fukunaga

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Alienist (TNT) -- S: Evans, Brühl, Fanning -- EP: Fukunaga

I think this is great news, been wondering when someone was going to do this. I think this team will do the dark subject matter some justice.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/cary...ni-1201472150/

Cary Fukunaga will direct and executive produce a drama series based on the Caleb Carr thriller “The Alienist” with Paramount Television and Anonymous Content producing, Variety has learned.

Eric Roth and Hossein Amini are also exec producing. Amini, who was nominated for an Oscar in 1998 for writing the script for “The Wings of the Dove,” wrote the pilot and will write the series.

Set in Gilded Age New York, the story follows Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, who, with the help of newspaper reporter John Moore and police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt, uses the emerging discipline of psychology to track down one of New York City’s first serial killers.

“‘The Alienist’ is a fascinating and distinctive, fast-paced psychological thriller that is wonderfully evocative of the unrivaled Gilded Age of New York City,” said Paramount Television President Amy Powell. “Cary Fukunaga’s unique vision and ability to render compelling, distinctive and superbly atmospheric direction is the perfect voice for this television series. We are thrilled to have not only Cary’s expert direction, but also the creativity, imagination and storytelling abilities of the supremely talented Eric Roth and Hossein Amini.”

Fukunaga won an Emmy last year for directing the Anonymous Content-produced “True Detective” for HBO.

“We are thrilled that Paramount has entrusted us and our brilliant creative dream team — Eric Roth, Hossein Amini, and Cary Fukunaga — to bring this much beloved, bestselling novel to the screen,” said Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Rosalie Swedlin, who will also executive produce the series. “The multi-episodic format will enable us to do justice to the complexity of Caleb Carr’s storytelling and his vivid and detailed portrait of late 19th century New York in all its splendor and grittiness.”

“The Alienist” is the first collaboration between Paramount TV and Anonymous Content since the two entered into a first-look deal in 2014 that gave Par first-look rights to produce and distribute scripted television programming developed by Anonymous Content for broadcast, premium cable, cable and online audiences.
Old 05-25-15, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
re: The Alienist (TNT) -- S: Evans, Brühl, Fanning -- EP: Fukunaga

That was a pretty good book. I'm not sure that show would work but maybe.
Old 05-25-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Isn't Fukunaga making "It"?
Old 05-25-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Isn't Fukunaga making "It"?
Not anymore. He's gone and the project is on "hold".
Old 05-25-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm game for anything he wants to make. TD was awesome.
Old 05-25-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I once intended to read this book, going so far as to buy a copy. I have no idea where that copy is now.
Old 05-26-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I enjoyed the book a lot. It was long because of the documentary-like historical backgrounds of the people and places in 1890's NYC. I'm not sure how well that will translate to the movie, so it might turn out to be just another serial killer chase movie. Looking forward to seeing their adaptation.
Old 05-26-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the fact that it's going to be a series, will help flesh out all of the historical backdrop.
Old 05-17-17, 03:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Official Trailer:
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JcJQnaXiCfI?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-20-18, 09:15 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: The Alienist (TNT) -- S: Evans, Brühl, Fanning -- EP: Fukunaga

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAFyrFKu68I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8oyf8Ecwo-Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turner's TNT will take viewers into the darkest corners of New York City during the Gilded Age with the eagerly anticipated series The Alienist based on the Anthony Award-winning international bestseller by Caleb Carr. Set in 1896 amidst a backdrop of vast wealth, extreme poverty and technological innovation, this psychological thriller stars Daniel Brühl (Rush), Luke Evans (The Girl on The Train), Dakota Fanning (American Pastoral) and Brian Geraghty (The Hurt Locker). The Alienist is slated to premiere on Monday, Jan. 22 at 9 p.m. ET/PT across TNT platforms. The Alienist opens when a series of haunting, gruesome murders of boy prostitutes grips New York City. Newly appointed police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt (Geraghty) calls upon criminal psychologist (aka alienist) Dr. Laszlo Kreizler (Brühl) and newspaper illustrator John Moore (Evans) to conduct the investigation in secret. They are joined by Sara Howard (Fanning), a headstrong secretary determined to become the city's first female police detective. Using the emerging disciplines of psychology and early forensic investigation techniques, this band of social outsiders set out to find and apprehend one of New York City's first serial killers. The Alienist also stars Douglas Smith (Miss Sloane) and Matthew Shear (Mistress America) as Marcus and Lucius Isaacson, twin brothers who help unravel the disturbing mystery; Matt Lintz (Pixels) as Stevie, a tough, young boy employed by Dr. Kreizler as a driver and errand boy; Robert Ray Wisdom (The Wire) as Cyrus, Kreizler's valet, a man with a dark past who has been reformed by Kreizler; and Q'orianka Kilcher (The New World) as Mary, Kreizler's mute maid with whom he shares a special unspoken connection.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Antonio Magro as Paul Kelly
· Brian Geraghty as Theodore Roosevelt
· Dakota Fanning as Sara Howard
· Daniel Brühl as Laszlo Kreizler
· Douglas Smith as Marcus Isaacson
· Falk Hentschel as Biff Ellison
· Luke Evans as John Moore
· Matt Lintz as Steve
· Matthew Shear as Lucius Isaacson
· Michael Ironside as J.P. Morgan
· Q'orianka Kilcher as Mary
· Robert Wisdom as Cyrus
· Ted Levine as Thomas Byrnes

CREW INFORMATION:
· Caleb Carr as BOOK/CONS
· Cary Fukunaga as EP
· Eric Roth as EP
· Hossein Amini as CRTR/EP
· Jakob Verbruggen as DIR (Pilot)
· Rosalie Swedlin as EP
· Steve Golin as EP
10 episode limited series.

The premiere is Monday, 1/22/18, but there will be a sneak preview airing of the pilot tomorrow after the SAG awards.
Old 01-20-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Loved The Alienist, though the follow-up novel, The Angel of Darkness, was a let-down.

Looking forward to the tv series, though I think it would have worked better as a movie.
Old 01-23-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched the first episode last night. As far as TV shows go, it reminded me a lot of the recent series Taboo. Hard to follow at times, but like Taboo, it will probably change in that regard as the series goes on.
Old 01-23-18, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent start, but not feeling the performances of Fanning and whoever plays Teddy.
Old 01-23-18, 11:17 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

This show's production values are pretty impressive for a second-tier cable network. TNT must've spent a fair chunk of change producing and marketing it.
Old 01-23-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by funkyryno
This show's production values are pretty impressive for a second-tier cable network. TNT must've spent a fair chunk of change producing and marketing it.
There's a decent, but relatively short article on that in Entertainment Weekly. The gist is that they were able to capitalize on this being produced as a movie before they switched to it being a short run TV series. But nothing on why this is airing on TNT of all places. Seems a much better fit for FX or AMC.
Old 01-23-18, 11:37 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I found this article on Variety about how the president of Turner has made it his goal to revamp TBS and TNT. Apparently, the Alienist cost about $9 million per episode to produce.

Inside Turner Chief Kevin Reilly’s Plan to Reinvent TBS, TNT for a New Era

One interesting tidbit from the article: The show was filmed in Budapest.
Old 01-23-18, 11:54 AM
Banned

I found this article on Variety about how the president of Turner has made it his goal to revamp TBS and TNT. Apparently, the Alienist cost about $9 million per episode to produce.
Wow.

That's nearly as much as Game of Thrones episodes (at least, $10 mill. apiece through Season Six...final season episodes reportedly will cost $15 mill. each).

Still...considering the huge cast (and popularity), multiple worldwide locations and shooting units, costumes, CGI, etc., it makes Thrones seem like a bargain compared to Alienist.
Old 01-23-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Excellent start, but not feeling the performances of Fanning and whoever plays Teddy.
Since this takes place only a few years before the Spanish-American War I was expecting Teddy to look a little more like the Teddy Roosevelt that most of us picture when we hear the name. The actor playing him is too meek and scrawny.
Old 01-23-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Inside Turner Chief Kevin Reilly’s Plan to Reinvent TBS, TNT for a New Era

One interesting tidbit from the article: The show was filmed in Budapest.
Given the likely drop in viewership for sports and TV reruns, it's probably a good move on Turner's part.

The filming being done in Budapest was mentioned in EW as well, including how the fake snow getting rained on caused filming delays.
Old 01-23-18, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mugwump
Since this takes place only a few years before the Spanish-American War I was expecting Teddy to look a little more like the Teddy Roosevelt that most of us picture when we hear the name. The actor playing him is too meek and scrawny.
We thought the same, although we were familiar with pictures of him as a younger man. Putting on the glasses helped him resemble the Bull Moose he would be known as only a few years later.

Turns out, though, that the actor's physical appearance isn't that far off. Check out this 1895 pic of Teddy as NYC Police Commissioner:

Something about the guy's accent just doesn't ring true for us, though. Same for Dakota Fanning's character, although she looks the part.

Small quibbles, though. We'll enjoy the show and get used to the accents.

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-23-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Wow.

That's nearly as much as Game of Thrones episodes (at least, $10 mill. apiece through Season Six...final season episodes reportedly will cost $15 mill. each).

Still...considering the huge cast (and popularity), multiple worldwide locations and shooting units, costumes, CGI, etc., it makes Thrones seem like a bargain compared to Alienist.
$7.5m after credits, but that's still $2.5m more per episode than they initially agreed on (8 episodes @ $5m/ep).
Old 01-23-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on the pictures of the construction I've seen it seems they actually built full size sets to represent the streets of NY during the time the show takes place. Sometimes it seems counterproductive if the goal is to spend less money, but they are are obviously saving it somewhere despite the very high per episode total.
Old 01-29-18, 09:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I don’t think I have ever been as creeped out watching tv as I was during the entire scene in the brothel at the end.
Old 01-31-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was pretty damn creepy. I as also wondering that they hell he was thinking by deciding to go off on that little mission on his own. If that was in the book, hopefully they did a better job of setting it up than they did on the show.
Old 02-01-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Watched the first two episodes. I am digging it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.