Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Alienist (TNT) -- S: Evans, Brühl, Fanning -- EP: Fukunaga

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The Alienist (TNT) -- S: Evans, Brühl, Fanning -- EP: Fukunaga

Really looked forward to this. Watched the first episode. And hated it.

Guess I'm out. I have enough other stuff to watch anyway.
Old 02-08-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Watched 1 episode with the wife and had zero interest in it. I'm out. I will say, though, the production values looks like they spent the money well.
Old 02-08-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

It's a decent Victorian procedural but frankly I don't enjoy either of the two leads, which is a real problem. The actor playing the alienist is average at best in what is the most critical role. Fanning keeps getting work in Hollywood but I've never thought she's lead material.
Old 02-09-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm sorry to hear the adaptation is not too good. I was looking forward to it, but I haven't seen it yet. I was waiting for it to show up on Netflix or Amazon. I read the book about 15 years ago and thought it was great, but a lot of that comes from the historical detail that the author goes into about NYC and the people. If you strip out the documentary type elements, I could see where you would be left with a Victorian procedural. I'm sure I'll watch it anyway eventually, but with lower expectations.
Old 02-09-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I still think the show is great. Evans and Bruhl are great, as well. The first episodes were a nice one-two punch of depravity and the third episode sought to balance it out. It'll get ramped up next week, though.
Old 02-09-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Let the first three build up on my DVR and binged them a few days ago ... thought it was pretty damned good. Wish I had waited to binge the whole thing though, I liked it that much.

Not a Dakota Fanning fan, but she seems to do OK here.

Curious to see where it goes since they seem to be calling out (RED HERRING) the killer already.

John asked Kreizler what his role was in the investigation and Kreizler said something to the effect of “You may have already played your part”. This caused John to go off to the brothel in an effort to show he had value.

Is this a true story or historical fiction?
Old 02-11-18, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

It's convincing fiction.
Old 02-11-18, 09:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Got around to watching the first episode... it looked gorgeous, but was boring as hell. Not enough time in my life to dedicate to shows I don't love anymore (other than TWD because I'm a masochist, but even that is on life support for me).
Old 02-23-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tonite I got up to date with the broadcast schedule.

I admire the effort of all involved, but this is a very difficult novel to bring to screen (which is reflected in the 20 year development).
The subject matter, as laid out in the book, is the deepest of horror.
I read this book when it was first published in the mid-nineties.
TERRIFIC read, BTW.

After watching these first 5 episodes, I noticed a weakness: EDITING.
In spite of a great cast, it seems to me the story could have been told in a much more coherent, straightforward manner.
For those who haven't read the book, this production could be a bore...or a struggle.

The atmosphere of old NY is captured well, although no way as well as the novel.
The book is great at bringing out the hardships of those who weren't born into "gilded" cages of the well-to-do of the era.
At times, the fine acting of the deep cast is all that keeps it afloat (for me, at least).
Old 02-23-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never read the novel, but I suspect what it bringing down the series is how much they expanded the story to make it a one season TV series rather than a long min-series that would only run half as long.

I'll be watching this one though to the end. But it's far from one of my favorite TV series even though I usually love these kind of serial killer stories. I watched my new Criterion Silence of the Lambs BD yesterday and enjoyed the movie just as much as the day I originally saw it in the theater.
Old 03-14-18, 01:44 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Am I the only person who still watching this show?
Old 03-14-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Am I the only person who still watching this show?
No, still watching. Can't say it's one of my favorites though. After a very strong start it's gotten very boring.

The little bits of story/plot development we get each episode often make no sense. For example, the doctor's arm issue, his anger issues, and his relationship the woman that lives with him. And the deal with the police not really doing their best to instigate the killings is starting to make sense, but still not clear.

Not sure if it's a book vs show thing since I've never read the book. But for me it seems like this series length could have been cut by half and would have been a lot better for it.
Old 03-14-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Like I said upthread, this would have worked better as a movie.

I read the novel about twenty years ago (*gulp*) and liked it a lot, but there wasn't enough plot in it to sustain a ten hour miniseries. From what I recall, a good chunk of the novel was world-building and atmosphere. At the time, I thought it came off like a cross between the novels Interview with the Vampire and Silence of the Lambs.
Old 03-14-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally I think it is second best show currently on air.
Old 03-15-18, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I read the novel about twenty years ago (*gulp*) and liked it a lot, but there wasn't enough plot in it to sustain a ten hour miniseries. From what I recall, a good chunk of the novel was world-building and atmosphere.[/I]
My recollection as well.
OTOH, it's what you would expect from a historian.
Old 03-20-18, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I see you.
Old 03-20-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Personally I think it is second best show currently on air.
I've got Mr Pickles then this
Old 03-21-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After a rather boring middle (series second act?) the show has really been awesome over the last couple episodes. Glad I stuck with it despite getting very boring after the first couple sidesteps. Really looking forward to the finale! Hopefully Beacham is killed, the asshole ex cops get what is coming to them, and our heroes get public credit solving the case.
Old 03-21-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what Gotham By Gaslight should like if it was ever made into a live action movie.
Old 03-21-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The broadcast video quality is not great.
Hopefully, a UHD edition will be released.
Old 03-29-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The finale didn't disappoint. Only thing that didn't work for me was the SFX job they did to try and create Beacham's facial tick. Was kind of dispoiniting for the police to take credit, but given Beacham was dead, it was better the heroes just walked away knowing they got their man.
Old 05-30-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

I just finished this. Best thing I've seen on Netflix since "Dark". However, the first two episodes are all about setting up the characters and feel terribly flat. After that however, this series is top notch. Can't compare to the book, haven't read it.
Old 05-31-18, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the book about 20 years ago as well, and was excited when the series was announced. However, I decided to let the episodes build up and would watch it all in one sitting since Netflix and Amazon had spoiled me. Reading reviews I was worried it would not live up to my expectations but after reading some of the latter episodes, I'm confident I'm going to like it.
Old 08-16-18, 05:12 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

TNT has ordered “The Angel of Darkness,” a new limited series based on the novel that was a sequel to Caleb Carr’s “The Alienist.” The new project will reunite the main cast of TNT’s original limited series “The Alienist,” including Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans, and Dakota Fanning.

“We could not be prouder of The Alienist’s outstanding, award-worthy performance and all of the work the incredible actors and crew put in to bring that story and time period to life,” said Sarah Aubrey, executive vice president of original programming for TNT. “Our audience fell in love with these multi-dimensional, timeless characters and the journey of their struggles living in complicated times. With this new story in TNT’s Suspense Collection, we will further immerse viewers into their world as they are confronted with a new enemy.”

“The Angel of Darkness” is being billed by TNT as a sequel, and not as a second season of “The Alienist.” It is being produced by Paramount Television and Turner’s Studio T. Eric Roth, Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Rosalie Swedlin and Cary Joji Fukunaga will serve as executive producers. “The Alienist” followed Bruhl, Evans, and Fanning’s characters as they investigate a series of muders in 19th century New York.

The decision to greenlight a so-called sequel to “The Alienist” featuring the same characters as the original, portrayed by the same actors, serves as an effective renewal of the show, however, and may raise questions about the original’s status as an awards contender. “The Alienist” is currently nominated for two Primetime Emmys — for best limited series and best cinematography in a limited series or movie. Voting for the Primetime Emmys is currently open and closes Aug. 27.
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ali...el-1202907921/
Old 08-16-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I liked the first season, it built a nice amount of dread. I think it was hampered a bit by being on basic cable in the amount of language/sex/violence it could show, although that played into the Victorian sensibilities of the show.

It's interesting that TNT is trying to claim that the second season is really a "sequel' limited series, when it will feature all the same characters, while at the same time AMC's The Terror got a "second season," which in reality is going to be a completely different story and characters. TV networks don't know what to call things anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.